• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2016 - VAC to life, VAC to reality

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can still use that. It has a capacitive screen and Win10 has an onscreen keyboard.

no I mean why did he slap an entire keyboard unto it instead of being a comfortable unit that users would use the on-screen keyboard with

it probably should've included the Surface Pen like the Nintendo DS since Windows 10 has handwriting recognition

More impressions for games that don't involve hidden objects? You speak madness, someguyinahat! But nay, here they are: impressions for Shadowgate (2014.)

The story: You play Jair, a "simple soldier" tasked with infiltrating a "living castle" known as Shadowgate, and taking on a power-crazed wizard known as Talimar the Black (that's probably not racist.) It's a bit loaded with fantasy-babble and I felt myself tuning out the exposition. I also don't know how closely it's adhering to the original, so it could very well be that we're looking at 80s-level storytelling.

The gameplay and puzzles: True to form of 80s adventure games, there are red herrings and useless items you can pick up. The puzzles provided a decent challenge even on apprentice mode, and from what I've been told, the puzzles in the harder modes are both more numerous and more complex. Some of the interface isn't great: you might have a hard time clicking on faraway doors to get through them, magic spells will misfire if you cast them in the wrong place on the screen, and if you want to calm someone with music, you have to "use" the instrument on yourself, not the beast in question.

The attention to detail is good, adding some extra failure dialogues if you try something that you think might work but doesn't. Using a water-based entity on a fire-based one, it makes you seem confident until the water-based entity gets scared and nopes out of the room. (The fact that that fire-based entity is unkillable is pretty irritating, and you could waste time trying things before you're dead, but that's what games did back then.) I think I died half a dozen times, but two of those were intentional to see what happened.

The audio: There are only a few voices in the game, but all are pretty good. I wish they had more interesting things to say. The music is outstanding, from swelling high-fantasy orchestral incidentals to driving electric guitar riffs.

The graphics: The environments look great. The particle effects and the animations look suitably "kickstarter low-budget," but they make it work.

The length: Steam says I took 4.7 hours to complete "apprentice" (easy) mode. There are apparently two other modes and I assume those would take longer. So there's decent length and extra replayability.

The verdict: This is a fun one. I think it's worth your time, especially if you want an old-school feeling in your games. The endgame plugged "Beyond Shadowgate" which is scheduled for 2016 - assuming that's accurate, grab this soon and be ready for the sequel.

Phawx

no I mean why did he slap an entire keyboard unto it instead of being a comfortable unit that users would use the on-screen keyboard with

it probably should've included the Surface Pen like the Nintendo DS since Windows 10 has handwriting recognition

I guess I don't understand how removing the keyboard would make it more comfortable? Do you mean instead of a clamshell style, make it like PSP style instead?

Echoplx

You think playing games with an on screen keyboard would be better?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
More impressions for games that don't involve hidden objects? You speak madness, someguyinahat! But nay, here they are: impressions for Shadowgate (2014.)

The story: You play Jair, a "simple soldier" tasked with infiltrating a "living castle" known as Shadowgate, and taking on a power-crazed wizard known as Talimar the Black (that's probably not racist.) It's a bit loaded with fantasy-babble and I felt myself tuning out the exposition. I also don't know how closely it's adhering to the original, so it could very well be that we're looking at 80s-level storytelling.

Shadowgate was great fun, I agree. The attention to detail in adhering to the original was really well done, to the point that at a few times I felt like I was playing an HD version of the original. Some of the red herrings in this game were actually real clues in the original and vice versa so I really appreciated that.

Anyone who hasn't played this yet and enjoys point n click adventure games is missing out.

They hinted at a sequel, did that get shelved?

The best STEAM icon, or whatever those are called.

I submit:
header.jpg

header.jpg

And for best grid tile with the worst game attached to it:
header.jpg

It looks like it may be the new Xbox One additions (Milkshake Shakedown is a Bunnylord mission). I hope OlliOlli 2 gets the same treatment.

Hopefully they fix the double input bug that seemed to still be present back when I went through it earlier this year if they add that content. I'd certainly be much more amenable to re-upping my completion to 100% if I didn't have to deal with bs deaths due to that bug.

I submit:
header.jpg

header.jpg

And for best grid tile with the worst game attached to it:
header.jpg

I think you got your images mixed up and out of order. ;)

I've had my 970 for six months now and I still haven't played Witcher 3 yet.
Or Witcher 2 for that matter.

Neither have I; The Witcher 3 that is.
Someday CDPR will discount the season pass.
And someday I will get over my anger associated with spoilers... I hope.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Why not try that mod that takes the alien out?

I actually did mod the xenomorph out of the game as a joke as a friend had been constantly told (by those who wanted to over-hype), but never told him. So he spent the entire game expecting it to pop out of nowhere. This actually proved to still be an interesting experience on it's own merit just for exploration and the androids.

Of course when he beat the game and was confused about why he never saw it, I told him to play it again on a harder difficulty setting. I set the xenomorph encounter to the highest amount and it scared the hell out of him when he encountered it moments into the game.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
World of Warcraft will beat it.

While a Cookie Clicker, a surprisingly deep story about crippling addiction and suffering through a existential crisis of an individual suffering through the mundane work they can not quit, will surpass all.
Mostly because tickets will come with a code that grants you a faster cookie baking ability.

Wait, for real?

It's your standard CGI kid friendly movie that entertains the kids and does nothing wrong. Which makes it better than Mortal Kombat, Doom, Prince of Persia, and so forth that obviously did get a lot wrong. It simply beats Tomb Raider by just being a kids movie and those sell better than average at best action movies.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
He's going by Rotten Tomatoes, guys.

Even then, he's still wrong: Final Fantasy movie sits at 44%

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Fuck RT Mortal Kombat is an amazing movie.

First Resident Evil was also pretty good but too much of a departure from the games.

Pokemon is cheating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom