• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2016 - VAC to life, VAC to reality

Status
Not open for further replies.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
If we include that, we'd have to include Tron, The Last Starfighter, and plenty of others.

Wreck-it Ralph heavily features videogame characters, though. It's not just a videogame-themed or videogame-like movie.

Also I think they released an arcade game in promotion of the movie.

Lomax

Wreck-it Ralph heavily features videogame characters, though. It's not just a videogame-themed or videogame-like movie.

Also I think they released an arcade game in promotion of the movie.

But it's still an original work, it's closer to Candyland: The Movie than any specific video game. Any of the preexisting characters they used could be easily exchanged and serve as little more than cameos or sight gags (not knocking the movie, it's a great movie). It's not a derivative work based on an existing property that was a video game.

morningbus

But it's still an original work, it's closer to Candyland: The Movie than any specific video game. Any of the preexisting characters they used could be easily exchanged and serve as little more than cameos or sight gags (not knocking the movie, it's a great movie). It's not a derivative work based on an existing property that was a video game.

Hm. Would you consider the Final Fantasy movie a videogame movie?

Not trying to talk you into a corner, or anything. I'm interested in hearing the take.

I'd rather have pages Overwatch gifs than this conversation.

Here, they are now equivalent:

qTCMGvQ.gif

Lomax

Hm. Would you consider the Final Fantasy movie a videogame movie?

Not trying to talk you into a corner, or anything. I'm interested in hearing the take.

Ummm, sort of? Clearly they wanted it associate with the series, thus the title. And given that there's no real continuity to the series either, it suits that theme. But I guess if you forced me to make a choice, I'd say no, it's not, because it's an original work that isn't actually based on a preexisting video game. But it is intended to be associated with a preexisting video game series.

The later Resident Evil movies raise the same question, as they have little to nothing to do with the video games beyond the title and being descended from the first movie.

I think intent matters. Wreck-it Ralph is a video game movie, through and through. But imo it's not a movie "based on a video game." Which I think is the distinction. Just like Tron, Existenz, The Last Starfighter, and The Wizard are video game movies. But not movies based on video games.

Salsa

I really wanna see that Seth Rogen / Evan Goldberg Console Wars movie

book was pretty good

idk if its even happening anymore tho. was supposed to be out this year iirc

yuraya

The new AssCreed movie looks kinda decent. Fassbender usually delivers so I think it will probably get higher than 43% RT.

Too bad we never got that rumored Metal Gear Solid movie from many years ago. It would have probably gotten 100% RT if Kojima was involved in the production.

Lomax

I guess Ready Player One is supposed to be the video game movie we all want. I thought the book was basically Twilight for boys though.

And movie talk is totally on topic, there's movies on steam. Wonder if they will get decent summer sale discounts.

Tellaerin

At this point I'm really more interested in seeing more CG animated videogame films than I am live action, to be honest. I've been looking forward to seeing Kingsglaive for awhile now (hoping for a Steam video release - it'd be nice if it gets discounted during a Steam sale along with the FF games, too) and I'm really hoping that Blizzard decides to go the CG movie route with Overwatch too, especially if Kingsglaive ends up making money for S-E.

Salsa

At this point I'm really more interested in seeing more CG animated videogame films than I am live action, to be honest. I've been looking forward to seeing Kingsglaive for awhile now (hoping for a Steam video release - it'd be nice if it gets discounted during a Steam sale along with the FF games, too) and I'm really hoping that Blizzard decides to go the CG movie route with Overwatch too, especially if Kingsglaive ends up making money for S-E.

well Nintendo's making movies now

and I doubt they'll be live action

yuraya

MGS1 and MGS3 stories would have made for perfect films on the big screen. Especially MGS1. Its a better thriller than 99% of the movie junk out there today.

MGS3 would have made a better Bond movie than every Bond movie every made combined and then some.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
MGS1 and MGS3 stories would have made for perfect films on the big screen. Especially MGS1. Its a better thriller than 99% of the movie junk out there today.

MGS3 would have made a better Bond movie than every Bond movie every made combined and then some.

Not really when you have to cut a lot of the content to fit in 1 hour and 45 minutes or 2 hours.

Salsa

oh you're serious.

Adnor

Banned
The Tetris movie would be the best videogame movie if it was about the creation of Tetris instead of whatever the hell we will get.

morningbus

DxHWIgN.jpg

Time to go to sleep

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.

brucegulpe6jgr.gif

Hektor

Just watch Scott Pilgrim if you want a video game movie.

I love that movie but they really kinda butchered the second half. Most of the videogame related metaphors become mere "us gamers huh?" references and the evil exes don't really have a face.

zkylon

zkylewd
3wPc6OF.png

i love you overwatch, but damn launch night was rough lol

still a lot of fun even if i lost like 65% of my games tonight but sadly i found like a shit ton of toxic ppl already which was almost completely absent during beta

MattyG

Banned
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

header_586x192.jpg

Total War: Shogun 2 Collection -- MB-944EDD03288B1D3F - Taken by Sarcasm. 17 entrants total.

t1464086942z1.png

Jadax

3wPc6OF.png

i love you overwatch, but damn launch night was rough lol
I'm a big blizz fan, have played every single released of theirs since 2004, and have enjoyed every game, except for two: HotS and now this. Toxic ppl aside (it's an online game, you expect them), Overwatch just hasn't clicked with me. They've tried to emulate TF2 with a twist, and though I was enjoying it in the betas, I lost interest very fast.

And no, I don't hate online fps games, I still love playing css even though the graphics suck, and it's one of the most basic games around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom