• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2016 - VAC to life, VAC to reality

Status
Not open for further replies.
The mouse wheel control for Chaos Theory's walking speed is so sublime. I loved it. I don't know why other games haven't taken it. I rarely use the mouse wheel for weapon selection in general.

Yakkue

q2cIXzu.png

Finished Unepic. "Finished". Will come to that later.

Premise is simple but well executed with plenty self-aware humor and nods to many cliches and franchises. During a D&D game-night with friends you get sucked into a real dungeon or rather castle. And boy is it a castle indeed. It's huge. Separated into several areas with unique themes and enemies. You slowly get to explore the castle, open up new areas in your journey to meet the master of the castle Harnakon. Each area has a boss fight which drops a key opening a previously locked area. Besides the main quest each area also harbors a Pure Spirit with a quest. These are particularly interesting since the loot is a whole new character skill which opens the path for various spells and skills. On top of these there are also more menial side quests abound which net you either gold, a companion pet or a special weapon. All in all, there is always something to do once you go exploring a new area. These quests sadly are almost always very similar in that you need to collect certain elements in the near vicinity and thus can get repetitive. The rewards make them still worthwhile.

The way you beat the plethora of enemies in the castle depends on you though. From classic melee weaponry to staves, potions to spells, the options at hand are enormous. You will need to decide early on which playstyle to choose since enemies become more powerful as you explore further and the necessary stats to wield apt weapon, spells and armor increases as well. Thankfully there was a side quest that netted me a one-time item to respec. I got stumped at a certain boss for good after having neglected Bow stats. This aspect, the stats and immense amount of spells, swords, maces, axes, hammers, bows, robes, armor, potions, staves, wands and their each respective stats you can level up surprised me by sheer depth. It was fun to change pace from melee combat to magic based combat. Weirdly enough Shields are a total no-show. A shame since melee combat ends up mindless button mostly.

The boss fights were usually the highlight of each area. They are all very unique not only visually but in their regular and special attacks which makes for a fun and fair challenge even while dying many times. For the most part. And this is where the grand finale comes up again. It's a blunder. A dud. A total wreck. Everything you learned up to this point gets thrown out the window. Suddenly you find yourself under time pressure. Not only fighting a boss but going through a whole area filled with enemies. But that's not even the worst part. You also get suddenly control over a second character where you have to fend of enemy waves with some light strategy/tower-defense elements. This especially does not work well with the game. Having two dozen characters have an all-out war is not meant for this viewpoint. You don't see what is happening, who is friend or foe, even where your own character is. Most importantly it is not fun. The best moments in the game are boss encounters where you have to time attacks, run at the right time and repeat. These fights give you control, clarity and the time needed for the right tactic. The final fight is a rushed catastrophe compared to that. You never feel certain what is happening with all the character switching, strategic NPC placement and time pressure. And when you die, you start the whole area from start.

No thanks. If it's not fun, I'm not game. So I still call this a finished game since I got to the end. All in all, Unepic is a fun and surprisingly deep and big game with passable combat mechanics. This won't be a good time for many I assume. Movement, combat they all feel not overtly satisfying but it's definitely a case of greater than the sum of its parts. Give it a try. You might like it like I did and get close to 30 hours of a good time out of it.

Thanks for your impressions. I thought the protagonist was insufferable for the ~3 hours that I played. That final battle sounds very annoying as well.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
It's really stupid that Valve hasn't yet implemented a way to filter your purchased library, in the client, by quality. Like, they're so obsessed with putting user reviews everywhere as part of making your purchasing decisions easier, but heaven forbid it be easy to say "Show me some good games to play that I own".

Lain

Don't say this too loud or we'll have to ban another 80 people who are VERY upset at your insinuation.

Walking simulator? Walking simulator.

I've spent some time on Aura Kingdom, a F2P MMO. I played it a bit in the past, reaching level 12 but then stopped. Now I've made it to level 48 and I'm keeping going. Considering the F2P part and that it's published by Aeria, which seems to have a bad reputation, I'm surprised about how, so far, the game hasn't pushed me to pay for stuff outside of showing me cool Eidolons (summoned companions that fight at your side).

zkylon

zkylewd
ok there's def something weird with gta 5

i just timed it and it took it 10 freaking minutes to load

during that time i cleaned up the whole room and started watching tv lol

i never have such long loading times on anything and the game runs super smooth

idk what's up

Kagemusha

It's really stupid that Valve hasn't yet implemented a way to filter your purchased library, in the client, by quality. Like, they're so obsessed with putting user reviews everywhere as part of making your purchasing decisions easier, but heaven forbid it be easy to say "Show me some good games to play that I own".

Yes. So true. 4500 games and most of it is bundle trash. Valve doesnt care because most users only have, on average, 4 games. You can sort by Metacritic scores in list view. And then select all the games with metacritic reviews and assign them to categories. Assign games without reviews to "bundle trash" categorie.

Knurek

Depressurizer can create custom categories based on user scores.

steam_userssuy3.png

Users do what Valvedon't.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Depressurizer can create custom categories based on user scores.

steam_userssuy3.png

Users do what Valvedon't.

I downloaded this but the feature you mention didn't seem to exist in the last release. I can just autocategorize by genre. I see the developer abandoned it and another developer picked it up, so I downloaded from his branch. For some reason the app now uses a hideous non-standard skin and apparently my 32GB of RAM isn't enough to prevent it from lagging like crazy on my library (only 2500 games). It also no longer picks up on my current categories. I think the reason it is lagging is because it's stuck displaying box art for every game, poorly. This release does let me sort by reviews, but autocategorize is still just by genre. What a fiasco.

kagamin

ok there's def something weird with gta 5

i just timed it and it took it 10 freaking minutes to load

during that time i cleaned up the whole room and started watching tv lol

i never have such long loading times on anything and the game runs super smooth

idk what's up

Sounds like normal GTA V to me tho.

Knurek

This release does let me sort by reviews, but autocategorize is still just by genre. What a fiasco.

IIRC, you can add custom autocategorize schemes, I recall needing to do so for my setup (Ctrl-T or Profile->Edit AutoCats)
Will share my config if you don't want to tinker with the program when I get back from work.

EDIT: I have not used the fork, did not even know it existed. Everything I mention can be done by the original Depressurizer.

Powerpuff

I downloaded this but the feature you mention didn't seem to exist in the last release. I can just autocategorize by genre. I see the developer abandoned it and another developer picked it up, so I downloaded from his branch. For some reason the app now uses a hideous non-standard skin and apparently my 32GB of RAM isn't enough to prevent it from lagging like crazy on my library (only 2500 games). It also no longer picks up on my current categories. I think the reason it is lagging is because it's stuck displaying box art for every game, poorly. This release does let me sort by reviews, but autocategorize is still just by genre. What a fiasco.

You should consider its fork which is still maintained.
https://github.com/Theo47/depressurizer

There is also an unofficial Steam group for the Depressurizer project.
https://steamcommunity.com/groups/depressurizer

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
You should consider its fork which is still maintained.
https://github.com/Theo47/depressurizer

There is also an unofficial Steam group for the Depressurizer project.
https://steamcommunity.com/groups/depressurizer

Yes that this the absolutely hideous looking fork that I downloaded and that is currently choking on my library because it won't let me turn box arts off. I'll leave it running for 15 or 20 minutes see if it's just doing some background downloading of game data without giving me any visible feedback. Maybe that's why it's choking.

Did I miss the mention about Daedalic Entertainment finally offering upgrade paths for some of its games?
Mainly Blackguards Deluxe Edition Upgrade but The Night of the Rabbit Premium Edition Upgrade and Goodbye Deponia Premium Edition Upgrade are useful too.

I really need to get back to Blackguards 1 at some point. Played 2 earlier in the year and thoroughly enjoyed it. Though once I got across the initial difficulty hump it became pretty simplistic.

Hey let's introduce this cool new thing called "user defined tags"! Do you think maybe we should integrate them into the library? Nah, wait...what are User-defined tags again, I'm all into VR now?

Powerpuff

Yes that this the absolutely hideous looking fork that I downloaded and that is currently choking on my library because it won't let me turn box arts off. I'll leave it running for 15 or 20 minutes see if it's just doing some background downloading of game data without giving me any visible feedback. Maybe that's why it's choking.

I agree it is ugly and I also preferred the light philosophy of its predecessor.
Hopefully once the banners cache is done it works fine and there are some new categorization options which can be useful.
I use the "Autocategorize". It took me time to customize it at my will but now it does the job well for my entire library (minus the games which has no more a store page).

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Anyone have AMD and Witcher 3? I have an R9 270 and I'm at the beginning and my horse looks all glitched out. Are there certain settings I need to use?

kevin1025

Banned
Anyone have AMD and Witcher 3? I have an R9 270 and I'm at the beginning and my horse looks all glitched out. Are there certain settings I need to use?

I just bought it on PC a couple of days back and I'm running it on an HD7870. No glitches on my end. Could it be you have the NVIDIA hair stuff turned on?

Wok

IIRC, you can add custom autocategorize schemes, I recall needing to do so for my setup (Ctrl-T or Profile->Edit AutoCats)
Will share my config if you don't want to tinker with the program when I get back from work.

EDIT: I have not used the fork, did not even know it existed. Everything I mention can be done by the original Depressurizer.

Thank you, I did as you did and it worked super well.

Edit: Except that some games like "Her Story" are not in the correct category...

3F1DR18.png

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I just bought it on PC a couple of days back and I'm running it on an HD7870. No glitches on my end. Could it be you have the NVIDIA hair stuff turned on?
That doesn't affect it. The hair part of the horse is actually fine, it's the body that is all stretched out triangles and whatnot. But that's only when I'm close to it. If I back up the body just isn't there so it's floating hair and saddle. It's so weird because the horse of the dude I'm supposed to follow is fine. I'm taking a billion years to verify/repair files now.

I'm on the 16.5.3 Crimson drivers.

Knurek

Thank you, I did as you did and it worked super well.

Edit: Except that some games like "Her Story" are not in the correct category...

You need to also refresh the user ratings, as Depressurizer uses local database for sorting.
Ctrl-D (Tools->Database Editor), then Fetch List, select all entries (Ctrl-A), Scrape Selected (which takes about 30 minutes for my 3000+ list), then Ctrl-S (File->Save Database).

You can always delete your previous ratings categories and re-categorize the entries.

Wok

You need to also refresh the user ratings, as Depressurizer uses local database for sorting.
Ctrl-D (Tools->Database Editor), then Fetch List, select all entries (Ctrl-A), Scrape Selected (which takes about 30 minutes for my 3000+ list), then Ctrl-S (File->Save Database).

You can always delete your previous ratings categories and re-categorize the entries.

Amazing!

ETtXgNy.png

The year categories contain games that I finish during the mentioned year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom