• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2016 - VAC to life, VAC to reality

Status
Not open for further replies.
Competitive Play "temporarily disabled", will come back "sometime after Overwatch launches"

Competitive Play was a late game option - only available from level 25 - that allowed players to rank up through month-long seasons, getting aesthetic rewards for doing so, but Blizzard are looking at tweaking it based on fan feedback.

"We worked extremely hard to get Competitive Play in the game for closed beta," says Kaplan in the forum post. "We've been reading feedback from the community and taking it all to heart. As a result, we've temporarily disabled Competitive Play for open beta so that we can rework the system and make it better.

"Our plan is to bring back a newly re-designed version of Competitive Play sometime after Overwatch launches. Thanks for all of the feedback, and thank you for being patient with us while we work to improve the game!"

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I saw earlier today you're incorporating release dates into Wishlists because it was just a simple call. Would incorporating review averages into Wishlists be similarly simple? I don't know how much data you're caching or how easy it is to get the stuff you want from the API. I know you can get Steam user reviews through scraping the search autocomplete to avoid having to scrape the entire store page, but I don't think user reviews are in the store page API. I often add pre-release stuff to my wishlist because it looks good, then later go through and prune whatever turns out to be junk.

I'll look into that and see if it's something feasible. Some people have hundreds of games on their wishlist *cough cough* Stump *cough* and some are even rose and have thousands.

inm8num2

Not sure if this was advertised before but the news item posted a little while ago.

Pre-Purchase Now - DOOM, get a free copy of Wolfenstein: The Old Blood

DOOM_wWOLFOB_600x150_ad-02.png

Knurek

Is there a way of charging the DS4 via USB on PC without disconnecting the Bluetooth connection? Switching from wireless to wired always requires some fiddling with DS4Windows, and the next time it goes wireless it needs to be re-paired in the devices settings which is a PITA.

Perhaps non-data USB ports/cables?

Huh?
Everytime I used USB port for charging (including wall chargers), it disconnected from BT, but didn't require re-paring - just disconnect the USB cable and press the PS button with DS4 running.
It doesn't disconnect while using the EXT port chargers, I'm using this one.

Battleborn is peaked at 12k today. Barely above Knight online, an mmorpg from 2004.

Reviews seem good though, currently at 88% positive.

Adnor

Banned
I bought Crypt of the Necrodancer because my brother wouldn't stop saying me to buy it and damn, I know it's just a constant beat but it's so hard to follow it for me, I've never been able to play rhythm games.

Yakkue

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Shantae: Risky's Revenge: Director's Cut -- MB-C17FDA670C6F30F0 - Taken by Sarcasm
~

Lain

Not enough Shantae on this page, let's add one more.
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Lain, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Shantae: Risky's Revenge - Director's Cut -- MB-A44BC43042EF0CFB - Taken by texhnolyze

If Valve don't show anythign this year, I wonder when they are going to show anything. They are just missing their time to stand out.

Coreda

Everytime I used USB port for charging (including wall chargers), it disconnected from BT, but didn't require re-paring - just disconnect the USB cable and press the PS button with DS4 running.

It's strange but it happens. Even says 'Paired' in the settings but it never actually receives input after pressing the PS button, the lightbar just flashes a few times then nothing. Requires pairing it again which is annoying.

Lomax

Damn. Hope this doesn't make big publishers think twice about releasing games.

Disgruntled employee I guess?

I'm sure you can find separate copies of every game in there on the internetz.

Things like this have always existed, probably just someone went to the trouble of combining it all into one. Wouldn't think it would really change anything. Besides if anyone bothered to download it all, how much of that would they actually play? Or would have bought? Probably little to none.

What stunt are you referring to?

As a publicity gimmick a few years ago, gog pretended to shut down for a few days. This was before they started selling current games.

Holy crap that was almost six years ago? Where does the time go?!?

tmarg

Every single game on gog has always been available on torrent sites, I'm not sure how them all being together on one changes anything.

Coreda

I had assumed all GOG games were on torrents anyhow. They're DRM-free after all. People use the service to support games and the model, not because there's no alternative.

It's things like patches where an account is needed, but even those are DRM-free. Can remember reading a linked Reddit thread from one of the Witcher 3 OTs and some guy had posted mirror links to all the GOG patch binaries for each version believing he was doing CDPR a favor lmao.

Soulflarz

Banned
Quantum Break is so bad and I regret even spending $20 on this.

It runs bad still. Im ~75% through.
Even if it didn't, this gameplay is really uninspired and textbook in the ways it was done.
The plot is trying to be a movie but even then the movie isn't exactly interesting and I've already found a few contrivances that exist because the game intentionally has to ignore your choices. One that stuck out to me as a good example of this was for example in act 3/4 (I forget, nothing big if you've gotten past act 1-
your friend comes all the way out to the battle deal with you individually since, after all, he was your good friend! He even says you're his and everyone else should back off. However, my choice previously was to have him try and kill the protag since business comes before friendships by all means and he even gave a short bit about how he doesn't view his friendship as important anymore as a result. However, not one act later, he's doing things showing he cares about his friendship in some way or another!

It devalues the actions I take to say the least. When I get the choice to show how someone is characterized in ways and it means nothing, what's the point?

Lol this is so stupid.

What a dumb idea.

Definitely. I wasn't using GOG back then, but I would've been devastated, then furious, once the stunt played out. It was a huge dent in their legitimacy at full launch, even if it was all a joke... they really weren't thinking how infamous such an event could be.

Fortunately they survived the mistake and are doing fine now, because I really do appreciate a DRM free solution to video games. It should be the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom