• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2017 - Praeying for Dino Crisis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melchior

Path of Exile, maybe?

Path of Exile is a game that I've tried over and over maybe because I don't pick fun builds but I always quit eventually never make it to maps. I put 900 hours into d3 and stopped playing that early last year. I was planning on giving PoE another try when they add the new acts because redoing the campaign 2 times burns me out so fast.

Arminsc

Hey I was wondering if anyone here could recommend me a good game that I can just dump time into. By that I mean no story just pure grind/turn off brain turn on music and chill. My go to game was Dustforce which did require me to turn on my brain but I SS'd all the normal and virtual levels after like 200 hours. I'd seriously recommend this game if you're into solid platformers with good music.

Also I've tried 99% of most roguelikes so stuff like isaac, gungeon, nuclear throne, ftl and stuff are out because they just didn't feel right. I tried some grindy mmos. BDO lasted me until I got 2 characters to 58. I'm not sure I'll be able to find a replacement for Dustforce it was one of those games that just clicks with you.

I'd recommend something like Stardew Valley, which has tons of content and is easy enough to get into.

Also, if you don't mind the learning curve, the Paradox grand strategy games will let you sink virtually endless hours there, and are really fun once you get into them!

vermadas

Hey I was wondering if anyone here could recommend me a good game that I can just dump time into. By that I mean no story just pure grind/turn off brain turn on music and chill. My go to game was Dustforce which did require me to turn on my brain but I SS'd all the normal and virtual levels after like 200 hours. I'd seriously recommend this game if you're into solid platformers with good music.

Also I've tried 99% of most roguelikes so stuff like isaac, gungeon, nuclear throne, ftl and stuff are out because they just didn't feel right. I tried some grindy mmos. BDO lasted me until I got 2 characters to 58. I'm not sure I'll be able to find a replacement for Dustforce it was one of those games that just clicks with you.

N++

Melchior

I'd recommend something like Stardew Valley, which has tons of content and is easy enough to get into.

Also, if you don't mind the learning curve, the Paradox grand strategy games will let you sink virtually endless hours there, and are really fun once you get into them!

Awesome thanks for the suggestions turns out I have stardew valley from a gift so I'll check it out right now.

Oh wow I didn't know they made a sequel to the first. I vaguely remember playing N+ on xbla 360 it absolutely destroyed me back then. Honestly looks great I'll grab it tonight.

Jawmuncher

Isn't the PS3 version better looking with better lightning etc? Even though it isn't compatible with the PS4 version, why do people even support these kinds of releases, people should demand better for these kinds of situations. I just don't know man

I won't be buying the release. CVX isn't even a favorite of mine, but I'd have bought a new port especially on PC. This will probably sell far less than the original rerelease on PS3/360 since even with the PS4 emulator it's still a inferior product.

Teggy

Man, Prey is bad (or good, depending on how you look at it) if you have OCD tendencies. So much to explore. I am going so slow.

Megasoum

Banned
Sigh... Why the hell did 2K decided to use their own proprietary Cloud Save system for Civ 6 instead of just using the built-in Steam Cloud service?

My work Firewall is super strict and blocks the 2K servers but not the steam ones....

So basically I don't have cloud saves support at all in Civ 6... This is fucking stupid.

Anno

sweeet. I get paid on Wednesday and System Shock 2 is one of my favorite games

Pretty sure you'll be happy here, then.

I knew exactly what would happen in the opening of Prey and still grinned the whole time. Can't wait to be able to sink in most of my day tomorrow.

Erekiddo

Took a chance on this, and an hour in: it's really, really good.

Currently playing as a woman who has mind control goggles. You can take control of animals to solve puzzles. Haven't done this since Space Station Silicon Valley.

The controller mapping was a little weird and on screen prompts don't show the button name, but number. Other than the initial hump of setting it up, I'm enjoying the hell out of it.

You owe it to yourself to try it at least.

Took a chance on this, and an hour in: it's really, really good.

Currently playing as a woman who has mind control goggles. You can take control of animals to solve puzzles. Haven't done this since Space Station Silicon Valley.

The controller mapping was a little weird and on screen prompts don't show the button name, but number. Other than the initial hump of setting it up, I'm enjoying the hell out of it.

You owe it to yourself to try it at least.
But...I have too many games to play at the moment!

I actually wishlisted this when I saw it a while ago, gonna get it eventually!

Ganado

I won't be buying the release. CVX isn't even a favorite of mine, but I'd have bought a new port especially on PC. This will probably sell far less than the original rerelease on PS3/360 since even with the PS4 emulator it's still a inferior product.
I just thought about Dead Rising and how it might've made them take the easy route. Such a shame...

Hows the pc port for Prey? Good shit?

I really did not like how the ps4 demo performed
Over 100 fps at 1440p on very high with a GTX1080.

Edit:
Prey-PC-Benchmarks_NVIDIA-AMD_1080P.png

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This is a giveaway for the thread url: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1366639.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

t1cxE6r.gif
Orcs Must Die! Unchained bundle -- MB-61187518B8131125 - Taken by crimsonheadGCN

I'm really impressed with what I've played of Prey so far. It's a silly little thing but I loved that the first thing I was able to do when in my apartment was just hold and toss almost everything in it. It's not all bolted down like most of Eidos-Montreal Deus Ex games and Dishonoreds are.

I'm also impressed with how well it runs and that the file size hasn't been frivolously bloated.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This is a giveaway for the thread url: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1366639.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Quake Champions Beta -- MB-E5C4EEDAF3871CF6 - Taken by Vazra

Alright, so I dipped my toe in Expeditions: Viking (the GOG version, which is still on version 1.1.5 rather than 1.2 *grumble grumble*) and it's got a good start. The combat in particular is a quantum leap forward over Conquistador's, with all kinds of stats, abilities, status effects, and environmental effects that shape how combat plays out. Only thing that I don't like is the camera angle, which is locked in this weird overhead askew angle that feels wrong; you can turn it, but never vertically. The story and characters kinda feels like the History Channel's Vikings TV series so far--lots of vikinging. It's gud.

The thing the Expeditions series continually proves is the merit of deep historical RPGs. I'm surprised Logic Artists are the only ones out there really making games like that. It's this genre that's hiding in plain sight--utterly unique, and filled with potential.

Alright, so I dipped my toe in Expeditions: Viking (the GOG version, which is still on version 1.1.5 rather than 1.2 *grumble grumble*) and it's got a good start. The combat in particular is a quantum leap forward over Conquistador's, with all kinds of stats, abilities, status effects, and environmental effects that shape how combat plays out. Only thing that I don't like is the camera angle, which is locked in this weird overhead askew angle that feels wrong; you can turn it, but never vertically. The story and characters kinda feels like the History Channel's Vikings TV series so far--lots of vikinging. It's gud.

The thing the Expeditions series continually proves is the merit of deep historical RPGs. I'm surprised Logic Artists are the only ones out there really making games like that. It's this genre that's hiding in plain sight--utterly unique, and filled with potential.

I'll get back to it in a few days, ran into a few scripting bugs that should be patched up now but I'm deep in Far Cry Primal atm. It's fantastic so far, already have seven people in my hird and the concentration on characters is a nice change from Conquistador.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Over 100 fps at 1440p on very high with a GTX1080.

Edit:
Prey-PC-Benchmarks_NVIDIA-AMD_1080P.png

Current benchmarks aren't reliable, unfortunately, as the SSDO and SSR settings are broken and aren't actually enabled unless you turn them off and then on again. Someone in the PC performance thread running a 970 mentioned that his framerate dropped from ~90fps, which aligns with benchmarks above, to ~60fps after properly setting them to full resolution -- a hit of around 33%.

What fucken losers Capcom are. The game got a PS3/360 'HD' port, could they port that instead?

Don't even question Capcom's porting/platform choices on their games. They have no fuckin clue what they're doing. So much money left on the table is all I'll say when it comes to their current and back catalog.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I got the preorder stuff in Prey. Maybe all PC users get them.

Yeah, Bethesda didn't replace the pre-purchase sub after the game unlocked and flip-flopped on the name change to "Prey Pre-Purchase". The store page no longer mentions the items, though, so the post-release sub will probably go up at some point.

Tomasety

How about Disgaea?

Edit: Grim Dawn?

data

What about musou games? They sound perfect for what you want

I'll get back to it in a few days, ran into a few scripting bugs that should be patched up now but I'm deep in Far Cry Primal atm. It's fantastic so far, already have seven people in my hird and the concentration on characters is a nice change from Conquistador.
Haha, yeah there's some bugs. I upgraded a character's skill and then the skill description turned into coding gibberish. Also there seems to be no way to see an enemy's gender in combat, which isn't a bug so much as an oversight. (Yes, it matters in combat!)

The classess progression is awesome though. As is the reputation system. It just feels very reactive; like, it's one of those RPGs where you can kill people via dialog, which is pretty much a benchmark for a Good RPG™.

Pick a free-to-play game and abandon all sense of time. Marvel Heroes, Warframe, or Star Wars: The Old Republic would be my first suggestions. Just something you can really sink your teeth into in terms of content and things to do. Just note that you'll want to spend a small amount of money to make them playable in the short term.

Or just play Total War: Warhammer or some other large strategy game. Same principle as the above: plenty of content to lose yourself to. There's much more substance here though, so you'll need to have your mind in the game--no zoning out here!

ModBot said:
Instructions for InquisitorAles:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a garbage dump. No other rules apply, you may claim as many as you want (there are no limits or throttles), and keys you win won't be counted as wins for your record. Do not SELL these keys for a profit.

Farm Life: Natures Adventure -- MB-6997F859C9E78B79 - Taken by Saty

Also, you guys are killing me with all those System Shock mentions. I really don't have time to play Prey and i still have games that i bought in April and want to play right now, please stahp

Tizoc

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Tizoc, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

30% off Shadow of War @ Bundlestars -- MB-2B007B64AEF0F790

t1494059349z1.png

This is a 30% discount coupon for Middle-Earth: Shadow of War.
You can only use this code @ Bundlestars.com. It works with any of the 3 editions on Bundlestars.
Please redeem it by TODAY as the code will expire within 12 hours' time

Let me know if the code doesn't work.

More garbage
ModBot said:
Instructions for InquisitorAles:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.

Zombie Playground -- MB-8AE6325D31D58468 - Taken by Sarcasm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom