• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2014 - Ride of the Valkyries

Status
Not open for further replies.

rtcn63

As someone who this year had to reinstall windows because a printer driver caused it to go apeshit, I'm wary of installing anything that isn't something I know won't fuck me.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
It can't be worse than the awful duo of social club and gfwl, right?

Don't forget SecuROM. GTA IV also has SecuROM.

Or likely Steam DRM in case of Lords of the Fallen?
Site makes it sound like it's only meant to make editing files harder to remove actual DRM.
Lords of the Fallen doesn't seem to have serial of any sort, so it's not using Securom.

Good point. I guess what they're advertising is that it their DRM is inter-operable with SecuROM.

madjoki

It can't be worse than the awful duo of social club and gfwl, right?

Did you mean, Securom+GFWL+Rockstar Social Club?

That's what GTA IV used. (Steam DRM isn't used even on Steam copies).

Securom can be worse than everything, including GFWL.
I think that they are going to add Social Club anyway, so it's gonna be a mess :(

Social Club is confirmed for GTA V, at least for Online portition.

Should I play Call of Pripyat with the Complete Mod? I know I needed to use it for SoC, but am unsure about CoP.

The complete mods are worth the effort to install and config, or at least I had fun with them. New resolutions, fixed bugs, quests, etc.

Jawmuncher

That DRM stuff is horrible.
Is lords of fallen already cracked?
If so since it uses the same DRM makes it even more worthless for rockstar to add.

madjoki

If so since it uses the same DRM makes it even more worthless for rockstar to add.

Doesn't seem like it's cracked. Same goes for FIFA 15, which uses same DRM. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Dr Dogg

Did any of you folks play The Witcher II from a SecuROM loaded retail copy? Well that wasn't fun in the sligtest. What's even funnier is that when it got patched out pretty much most of the performance related problems went away.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Doesn't seem like it's cracked. Same goes for FIFA 15, which uses same DRM. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I haven't exactly looked for a pirated copy of Fifa, but according to Denuvo themselves it was hacked after 46 days.

97CtbAL.png

EDIT: Oh I guess that's last year's FIFA. Either way, DRM layers are not cool.

Turfster

Did any of you folks play The Witcher II from a SecuROM loaded retail copy? Well that wasn't fun in the sligtest. What's even funnier is that when it got patched out pretty much most of the performance related problems went away.

I did, and yeah... SecuROM is so wonderful and I want to thank all the companies that use it, even though it's been proven it doesn't actually help =p
Good on CDP for stripping it out quickly, though.
More companies should emulate that, since I'm pretty sure that got them more sales.

Dr Dogg

I haven't exactly looked for a pirated copy of Fifa, but according to Denuvo themselves it was hacked after 46 days.

Sooo it's kind of worthless then? An inconvience but as with all these systems they are a deteriant as oppossed to an outright solution.

Edit: Hahaha just caught your edit. Opps disregard the above.

Jawmuncher

Ok if its actually holding its own then that's something at least.

Though too bad it's not possible for them to patch out the DRM at a later date.

Tecl0n

While i don't own Lords of the Fallen, i own Fifa 15 and never even realized it had more DRM than Origin, it does nothing different during lauch.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

Nope. A friend of mine who pirates most games actually bought it because of that lol, so I guess DRM works :p

zkylon

zkylewd
I feel like I should hide in the Origin thread until my shame disappears.
lol sorry it was too funny

thanks <3 I'm okay with the grinding but the series absoutely SHINES on psp/vita. if it was up to me they'd do the portable versions first then they can port it over to ps3/4. I have yet to buy disgaea D2 cause I'm patiently awaiting the vita port.
yeah i mean i don't really hold it against it, some people like that kind of shit and that's their thing, but it's a series i think i could really get into if it was less grindy, at least for doing the base level stuff like beating the damned game.

i'm rarely interested in ng+ anyways, tho if i understand correctly ng+ and all that stuff is kind of the point of the disgaea games

Yes, if you like adventure games and good stories then definetly check it out.

stories is basically all i do

Vibranium

Banned
I'm not surprised by GTAV or the Ubisoft messes. Good luck to Ubi on their quest to find similar success like EA on Origin.

I wish everyone could just sell games on every distribution client, why can't we all just get along?

jshackles

So it appears that the owner / manager of Denuvo is Reinhard Blaukovitsch, the same Reinhard Blaukovitsch who used to be the VP of DigitalWorks at Sony DADC, the creators of SecuROM.

I guess that explains why these two DRM layers can work together so well.

Dr Dogg

It's last years version. This years version is still uncracked according to this site.

Hahaha yeah I caught shackles' edit right after I posted and ammended my post. Of course having a message saying "hey we're not defeated yet" is kind of like a red rag to a bull. While I doubt FIFA on PC isn't too high a priority you can bet GTAV will have a lot of intrest from those who would want to break this open, if not just to show off there "733t skillz".

Parsnip

That denuvo stuff, it's going to get cracked eventually. Everything is.

And if LotF uses it, it's super fucking shady that it isn't mentioned on the store page at all.

Turfster

So it appears that the owner / manager of Denuvo is Reinhard Blaukovitsch, the same Reinhard Blaukovitsch who used to be the VP of DigitalWorks at Sony DADC, the creators of SecuROM.

I guess that explains why these two DRM layers can work together so well.
Man, remember when people did class action lawsuits against EA for using SecuROM?
And how it fucks up legit copies of Bioshock and Mass Effect, calling you a dirty pirate because of its own stupidity?
Good times.

Asgaro

Regarding those saying that the Denuvo DRM attributes to the crashes:

- Why can't I find a ton of threads about FIFA15 (Uses the same DRM and is still uncracked) crashes? Yeah, I found some articles about solving crashes but nothing out of the ordinary.

- Some sceptics on the Lords Of The Fallen Steam forum:
There really is no proof that the problems have to do with the drm. As it's been said over and over in these forums, there's a much larger chance that "the game is just poorly optimized and full of bugs".

If you read around a bit you'll quickly realize that pretty much all of the performance issues and random crashes are related to the graphics engine, not the DRM.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/265300/discussions/0/613940477641423773/#p9

- On the /r/games subreddit:

It blows my mind this guy can look at a product that says in its description it obfuscates code, display obfuscated code, and declare this is the culprit of poor performance. There is nothing to back that up. How about a comparison in some performance intensive task between code sample one and code sample two? Looking at a print statement and crying foul is fucking asinine, and people are eating it up. If I brought this to my boss, I'd get yelled at for wasting his time and the time I took to do this analysis.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/2kqbp4/lords_of_the_fallen_poor_performance_and_crushing/

I'm normally against DRM since what's the point when it gets cracked only a few days after?
But if this Denuvo DRM is actually truly uncrackable for at least 6 months, I can see its benefits.

And yes, there will be issues along the way as more games support this.
But for example Punkbuster is also an intrusive system and has been known for various of issues. But nowadays it seems Punkbuster has its stuff together. (Aside from having to use pbsetup.exe manually sometimes.)

If the Denuvo DRM devs can work out the kinks, I'm in for it.

(As long as Lords Of The Fallen's crashes haven't been attributed to this DRM by backed up facts, I stand by my opinion.
It's not like the game is an exception: I heard Dead Rising 3 is/was also a crash fest.)

--
Edit: I might have to add I never buy games at launch.
So I never have issues with DRM, UDontPlay service overloading, crashes, day one patches that bring new bugs, ...
By the time I buy a game it has been patched to it fullest and works flawless.
On top of that, the game's pcgamingwiki.com page has been filled with all tons of useful info in case there are still issues.
(I can't remember the last time I had to truly look up a workaround. But I DO read every game's pcgamingwiki page, simply out of curiosity.
I like to read about workarounds/fixes since it makes you more experienced with PC troubleshooting, and sometimes it includes tips like upping the FOV.)

The fact I have never experienced truly game experience breaking issues makes my opinion perhaps less valid.
And that's true.

(I don't know whether I'm planning on buying GTA V at launch. Probably not... but I wouldn't also be waiting 12 months like I usually do.
Probably 3 to 6 months.)

--
Edit: If this limits any kind of modding, I'm also out.
Wonder whether Rockstar will use Steam Workshop and find a way to let the DRM and modding live happily together.

- Why can't I find a ton of threads about FIFA15 (Uses the same DRM and is still uncracked) crashes? Yeah, I found some articles about solving crashes but nothing out of the ordinary.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/2kqbp4/lords_of_the_fallen_poor_performance_and_crushing/

I'm normally against DRM since what's the point when it gets cracked only a few days after?
But if this Denuvo DRM is actually truly uncrackable for at least 6 months, I can see its benefits.

But for example Punkbuster is also an intrusive system and has been known for various of issues. And nowadays it seems Punkbuster has its stuff together. (Aside from having to use pbsetup.exe manually sometimes.)

(As long as Lords Of The Fallen's crashes haven't been attributed to this DRM by backed up facts, I stand by my opinion.
It's not like the game is an exception: I heard Dead Rising 3 is/was also a crash fest.)

This is what I thought at first, but seeing that they are using bits of Securom code makes me wary.

Nzyme32

But for example Punkbuster is also an intrusive system and has been known for various of issues. And nowadays it seems Punkbuster has its stuff together. (Aside from having to use pbsetup.exe manually sometimes.)

I mentioned something similar in the other thread. If it can actually do what it does without effecting performance or causing other issues, or causing issues with usage / installs / offline play, I'd be fine with it. So far, there is no evidence that it is causing issues, although the weight of secuROMs legacy isn't inspiring

zkylon

zkylewd
the lords of the fallen devs could've spent the drm money in better qa and code to fix those bugs

just sayin'

edit: the way i see it is i have a problem with game makers spending money in making sure people don't play their games instead of spending money in encouraging more people to play their games. more cdprojekts, less, well, everyone else. very sad that ex-cdpr tomasz gop is actually a part of this

Dr Dogg

Well at least Valkyria Chronicles is out early next week. And certain someone that shall remain nameless hasn't given any indication that it's a problem so that's one bit of good karma to restore some ballance.

Edit: What in the?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/328600/

When did Frozen Synapse Prime, the Vita spruced up version, get a Steam release mentioned? Sod it I'm down with that.

I like how they tout 46 days as an achievement They know their DRM normally doesn't take long to hack, but if they can make sure no pirates can play it in the first six weeks, then SCORE!

Miguel81

Well at least Valkyria Chronicles is out early next week. And certain someone that shall remain nameless hasn't given any indication that it's a problem so that's one bit of good karma to restore some ballance.

Optimism, I like. This fall has been great gamewise. These splintered services/multiple drm solutions are a big pain, however, and makes me miss the good old gaming cabinet collection...almost.

yeah i mean i don't really hold it against it, some people like that kind of shit and that's their thing, but it's a series i think i could really get into if it was less grindy, at least for doing the base level stuff like beating the damned game.

i'm rarely interested in ng+ anyways, tho if i understand correctly ng+ and all that stuff is kind of the point of the disgaea games

for what its worth I rarely do much of the new game+ content. its too much grinding for me on consoles put i did all of it for disgaea 1 & 2 on my psp. if d2 comes to the vita I'll most likely end up doing a lot of the ng+ content on that as well. reason I haven't done it on the D3 port is cause I really don't want to have to beat the story mode again.

jshackles

I like how they tout 46 days as an achievement They know their DRM normally doesn't take long to hack, but if they can make sure no pirates can play it in the first six weeks, then SCORE!

I would have a lot more respect and trust for the company if they added a sentence to the end like "As such, we then completely removed the DRM on day 47."

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Premise: What if Morningbus actually likes The Talos Principle and has to eat Cro?

Keep in mind I have nothing against the game, just the people who make it.

It's a lot like this bakery in my town run by a legitimate cult.

KiDdYoNe

3:52AM, almost killed The Satan in Isaac. Oh well.

You guys really should try it out, playing it every day since the release. Last game i was so addicted to was FTL. It's really awesome and it's better every run. New items, new bosses show up, starting understand new rooms... oooooh boy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom