• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2014 - Ride of the Valkyries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
i am now ridiculously excited to replay DA:O, thats my weekend gone I guess

until my complete ineptitude makes me fail at installing mods, I get bummed out and quit of course

zkylon

zkylewd
wasn't the golem a she?

i liked the angry muscular dude that doesn't talk to you for like half the game

can't remember if you ever share stories and feelings with him until he gives you sex and you never talk to him again

i mean it's a bioware game after all

going through these mods on the nexus, I see a lot of...kissing mods, mainly to allow Alistair to kiss all sorts of races and shit. huh

I havent even gone into the "adult" mods
the adult stuff is really funny when you're like browsing on nexus

then i suddenly get curious and install one

then i realize my life's sucks and cry myself to sleep

i'm weak

weak

Probably realized everyone is going to nude mod it anyways.

Naked Joining mod best mod.
that sounds weird and exciting

fuck i'm doing it again

i am now ridiculously excited to replay DA:O, thats my weekend gone I guess

until my complete ineptitude makes me fail at installing mods, I get bummed out and quit of course
it's really easy to mod these games

maybe don't install like two dozen at a time, that's all

It was the "online pass" thingy, remember those, glad they don't really exist anymore.

Yeah, that was the one. An NPC apparently begged the player to buy Shale via the purchase of said DLC.

Notable, since at one point Shale was planned to be in the game. You can see the remnants of her recruitment quest in the game files. I think it only got as far along as that before they cut it out and moved it to DLC.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
it's really easy to mod these games

maybe don't install like two dozen at a time, that's all

Im sorry, I dont understand the words you just wrote. Like in poker, when I go in, I go all-in

I suck at poker :(

wonder if I should play them on origin, I guess it doesnt make a diference, the Keep thing isnt pulling from saves anyway aparently

zkylon

zkylewd
the biggest problem with installing so many mods isn't really making them work in tandem (tho that's an issue for sure), it's keeping your interest alive after you've spent like a week just looking at mods

specially if you den install all of them and start playing and realize it's still skyrim (yea free jab at skyrim :p)

also does anyone know how much 3d printing costs. i wanna do something cool for my mom's birthday

milena87

i actually like what actually happens in the games story-wise, i just don't care for high fantasy stuff (and going for darker fantasy in da2 didn't help either). all the orcs and elves stuff just tires me, i never felt like the dragon age universe was exciting. well that whole thing about having sex with morrigan to like save the world was weird in kind of a fun way but other than that, i'm not a fan. i'm pretty sure it worked even if you were female?

i can't remember

that thing was cray

If you were female, you had to convince Alistair / Loghain to sleep with Morrigan, obviously you couldn't do it yourself. But it wasn't to save the world, it was to save the skin of the person who would make the killing blow.
I totally convinced Alistair every time after the first playthrough

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to DA:I now. The latest videos convinved me that the DA team did a great job.
I'll probably play a female elf mage, or qunari. I want everyone in Thedas to try and not respect me.

Rhaknar

keeping the Origins train rolling, I played both times (360 and then PC) as a healer mage, wasnt the game really fucking hard if you didnt have a healer, which I believe you cant get until later (that older lady)?

zkylon

zkylewd
If you were female, you had to convince Alistair / Loghain to sleep with Morrigan, obviously you couldn't do it yourself. But it wasn't to save the world, it was to save the skin of the person who would make the killing blow.
I totally convinced Alistair every time after the first playthrough
well i think i didn't convince them cos me and alistair weren't on speaking terms by endgame, and i can't remember about loghain but i'm pretty sure he didn't

was really cool finding that my choices made alistair turn into a bum in da2 tho. that was awesome

keeping the Origins train rolling, I played both times (360 and then PC) as a healer mage, wasnt the game really fucking hard if you didnt have a healer, which I believe you cant get until later (that older lady)?
not sure

i played as an archer thing and i think i got by alright?

da1 feels like it released a million years ago

I still need to play the majority of DA:O DLC, might have to play it myself this weekend. I bought the Ultimate Edition from GameStop for $6 a few months ago and I think it's time to actually give it another play through.

milena87

It was harder yes, but in Origins you have tons of potions, so you could get far enough without a healing spec. The basic healing spell was available to every mage, so you could give it to Morrigan early on.

And the Circle is recommended as the first mission post Lothering, since you get Wynne and you can save the mages (useful if later in Redcliffe you want to save that little brat, Connor).

My favourite playthrough of Origins was with a dalish female elf dual wielding rogue. She was a beast! It was the only character I could kill the Harvester with on Hard / Nightmare difficulty. Mostly because the party that they gave you for the Golems of Amgarrak DLC was beyond useless.
I much preferred the DLCs in DA2 in this regard: not only they were of higher quality with new environments, but you could use your original companions.

well i think i didn't convince them cos me and alistair weren't on speaking terms by endgame, and i can't remember about loghain but i'm pretty sure he didn't

was really cool finding that my choices made alistair turn into a bum in da2 tho. that was awesome

At the end of the Landsmeet you either have Loghain or Alistair in your party, since Alistair will get mad at you and leave the party if you spare Loghain. I think that's how you get him homeless and pathetic in DA2.

Rhaknar

If you play DA2 as a COD game you might enjoy it. It's complete style over substance, your normal Magic attack for example (like your auto attack) Hawke throws a bunch of fireballs and twirls his staff around like its a John woo movie

You just need to go with the right mind set. Or just hate it for the much worse game than Origins that it is, that's also an option :)

Edit: you need to use spacebucks for DA2 DLC right? It wasn't on steam, and it was the beginning of the EA/valve split, the whole "DLC inside the game store so valve doesn't get a cut" thing?

Ozium

If you play DA2 as a COD game you might enjoy it. It's complete style over substance, your normal Magic attack for example (like your auto attack) Hawke throws a bunch of fireballs and twirls his staff around like its a John woo movie

You just need to go with the right mind set. Or just hate it for the much worse game than Origins that it is, that's also an option :)

what rpg is dragon age series most like? is it like kotor but high fantasy instead of space opera star warz?

zkylon

zkylewd
reading up on inquisition, it seems like it might turn out alright

it's just the skyrim inspirations that turn me off entirely

hope it's good for people that care but with all these kickstarter rpgs i really don't have much of a reason to bother with aaa stuff

what rpg is dragon age series most like? is it like kotor but high fantasy instead of space opera star warz?
i mean it's party based so it's a bit different. closest comparison is baldur's gate/planescape torment/icewind dale, those kind of games, just newer and simpler (for good and bad).

but yea it's like kotor, mass effect, all those games in that you walk around a town getting quests and talking to people, some of those join your party, then you talk to them in your spaceship and they get +1s relationships and then you take them to caves and kill whatever moves in there to finish some quest and when you're back there's a new conversation option with someone to get more +1s and eventually they sleep with you

Copons

You should have a Desura key waiting for you on IGS, redeeming which will let you access the Steam key!

Cheers! And thanks Copons for posting about the game :D

And this time I didn't even beg for a review key!

Anywoo
and indeed hoo
, FFS tonight was a great night for PC gaming.
But I have to ask: how is it possible that, if R* didn't fink on Denuvo, no one would have ever known of its very existence, even though it's been used for at least a year now.
I mean, it's just me that I'm super misinformed (and that's fine, considering how much I follow this kind of news), or they really managed to operate undercover for all this time?

Also (tin foil hat alert), the fact that Denuvo's roots dig deep into Sony, makes me think that maybe they're actively trying to thwart PC growth with cheap tricks and whatnot.
I mean, they already do it in more overt ways with first party and exclusives, so I guess is not such a huge leap thinking that Sony (or MS, or Nintendo too, who knows) are pushing EA and Ubi to ditch Steam (or R* and others to use annoying DRM) in order to undermine it and PC gaming in general.

reading up on inquisition, it seems like it might turn out alright

it's just the skyrim inspirations that turn me off entirely

hope it's good for people that care but with all these kickstarter rpgs i really don't have much of a reason to bother with aaa stuff
Review embargo is like a week before release, can't remember the last time EA was this confident.

milena87

I didn't find DA2 to be that different from DAO, to be honest. Yes, it was flashier and faster, but the combat was the same. I did miss the tactical view and the wave system got old pretty fast, but overall I enjoyed it as much, if not more, than DAO's combat.

The introduction of the cross class combos was pretty great and the combat was still tactical on Hard and Nightmare.

Edit: you need to use spacebucks for DA2 DLC right? It wasn't on steam, and it was the beginning of the EA/valve split, the whole "DLC inside the game store so valve doesn't get a cut" thing?

Yes. That's the reason I only played the DLCs on Xbox 360, where they actually got discounted...

zkylon

zkylewd
damn birds near my window never stop singing

damn you birds i wanna sleep

Review embargo is like a week before release, can't remember the last time EA was this confident.

yeah i mean it sounds pretty alright and it can be a well reviewed game but it doesn't mean it's a good game for me

who knows, if it's good i might bite, but i really don't want to fall for another skyrim -__-

yeah i mean it sounds pretty alright and it can be a well reviewed game but it doesn't mean it's a good game for me

who knows, if it's good i might bite, but i really don't want to fall for another skyrim -__-
Please, beating Bethesda in story department is no hard thing for Bioware.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me

I have a walkway light just outside my bedroom. It sucks.

zkylon

zkylewd
Please, beating Bethesda in story department is no hard thing for Bioware.

you'd think but then mass effect 3...

I have a walkway light just outside my bedroom. It sucks.
yea light comes out of my window cos i sorta broke my window blinds when trying to clean em. happened like 4 times so there's like this big hole now lol

that's pretty annoying, i should really get on buying new blinds lol

Rhaknar

err wht the fuck? you need to be registered on nexus to download mods, and you need to pay to be registered? o_O

milena87

I gave up on DA:2 the third time I entered the same cave. I understood that game was an empty recycle fiesta, so I drop it.

Well yeah, the game isn't objectively on par with vanilla DAO, but the art of recycling isn't exactly new to DA2.
Every damn DLC for DAO recycled something from the vanilla game or Awakening. They were really terrible. The DLCs for DA2 are light years ahead of those abominations.

edit: but talking specifically about the combat: I'd say that they are basically the same. DA:I will be an interesting change of pace without normal healing spells. We'll see.

Uzzy

No wonder we were moved to the community deadzone, people in here are actually advocating playing DA:2. Scary stuff.

zkylon

zkylewd
Still a better story than Twi...Skyrim.

to be fair i never got past the YOU THE CHOSEN ONE HAVE TO KILL ALL TEH DRAGONS part but at least what i played was consistently lame

mass effect 3 is just all over the place, consistently bad but then it drops the mordin-wrex on ya so you think oh shit this game is the real deal and then you have a duel with whatshisface and ghost dreams in your underwear and i just can't take it

i guess one or two moments of greatness in me3 are better than the general mediocrity (caveat being i haven't played much of skyrim so this might be untrue) of skyrim

but i wouldn't put much trust in bioware anyways

Howly Mowly, there is a steam virus circulating. Open the link, it is safe (famous group), it talks about the virus: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/bakersgamesgiveaways#announcements/detail/171462459295061654
yea right what do you think i'm stoopid

that's exactly what a virus would say

dex3108

Good morning SteamGAF. I went to cinema last night to see Interstellar. Movie is good, audio-visual experience is really good. Go and watch it but don't expect something mindblowing :D

yea right what do you think i'm stoopid

that's exactly what a virus would say

-_-

From that post, in case you don't want to open it:

"Seen this one making a few rounds lately, infected a few high profile accounts.

How it works
This is how it works. There's a link, that APPEARS to end in ".png", under the pretense of your friend sending you a screenshot. If you click this link, it will download a .scr file, which will hijack your steam account. Your steam account will start to send the same link to your friends.

What to do
- Don't click links ending "sshot721.png", or any link from "screen-lighting" website.
This is the only website they are using at the moment, so it's the one you should definitely not click. They may start using other websites though, so be vigilant.

- Turn on Download Notifications in Chrome.
Chrome has a feature which will ask you if you want to download a file, before downloading it. By default, this is OFF. You can turn this feature on by going to "Settings", "Advanced Settings", and clicking the checkbox on "Ask where to save each file before downloading." This feature is enabled by default on Firefox.

- Ask your friend if they sent that link
In a lot of cases, the friends have managed to retain access to the account. Since it is automatic, ask your friend if they sent the link to you. If they say no, then you know they are infected. If they do not answer, presume the same.

Thanks for reading."

zkylon

zkylewd
I don't think Mass Effect 3 was bad, but the ending was so awful that negated everything else.

imo me3 was terrible way before the end

tho the end didn't help lol

such an awful way to end a series, hard to believe bioware actually released that

and like right after da2 and that kotor mmo no one asked for

i really hope dragon age inquisition is great, bioware could use some dignity back

anyways i think i scared the birds away so 6 am time to sleepy bye bye

imo me3 was terrible way before the end

tho the end didn't help lol

such an awful way to end a series, hard to believe bioware actually released that

Pretty much. I have my reasons as to why it ended up the way it did, but it's something better served for an essay (or a TVTropes liveblog - I've thought of writing one for the game).

Coreda

The hell is this?

Tk8O2iZ.png

Was looking at Shantae: Risky's Revenge and of all things a curator group called GamerGate is the featured quote. There's no way to block them, either.

wait ... what?!? Skyrim had a story? O_O

I had a playthrough of Skyrim with almost 200 hours and never triggered the dragons. Made the world a lot less annoying. Which is funny, because the biggest complain I had about Oblivion was the lack of big monsters (DRAGONS).

In my first playthrough I haven't finished the main quest either. I'm not sure why. Probably because there's just so much other stuff to do! I've been playing it again and I'm totally sucked in. I also got into modding the game (thanks, golem!) to improve some bits here and there and I'm having a blast.

A friend told me now: "a friend of mine said some time ago, that hackers managed to hide (in form of screenshot or picture) a Trading Offer Steam request, it's like a hole in security. When u open this (link or picture, doesnt matter) - your account will automatically send a Trade Request for hacker's account, sendint him ALL your inventory. And since your trading offers do not notify you about this - you will lose everything without even noticing."

Be careful people. They are using new methods since things like random friends requests don't work anymore, they are using your own friends , the people you trust.

Dunno , I never heard about it here in gaf. Did anyone had such experience here?

Hackers now are the evil reincarnated.

Good morning SteamGAF. I went to cinema last night to see Interstellar. Movie is good, audio-visual experience is really good. Go and watch it but don't expect something mindblowing :D
I'm on a bus to Taipei for the movie, but the bus hit another car, now I'm just sitting on it in the middle of highway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom