• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2014 - Ride of the Valkyries

Status
Not open for further replies.
Uninstall it and you should be safe :D
B-but my beautiful civs...
embrace the games that consume your life, those are the best. Fuck backlogs
I even tried countering Civ with both Red Alert and Total War, and I just went back to Civ in a matter of minutes.
get Brave New World so you can have fun w/ the World Congress... I like to build a bunch of nukes and then propose nuclear non-proliferation..

it's good 2 be da king
This DLC will add another 100+ hours to my playtime, isn't it? Will check that out in a sale or I'll just get the complete pack when that drops in price.

Arthea

Right now all the new subs have ACRTAG flag enabled, but can I still activate gifts from non-restricted regions like NA and EU?
Because Valve's new policy and some publishers' always lock practice(I'm talking about you SEGA!) have me worried.

I think that's only true if ROW sub exists, I'm not sure entirely, though. But regionally unrestricted sub like ROW can be activated anywhere I think, we need Jasec to confirm this.
By checking database I noticed that buying-activation restrictions are country based not region, though.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF

well ... that's it ... this is truly the end of the world as we know it ...
damn you, community tab ... DAMN YOUUUUU!!!!

Dr Dogg

I can agree to a certain extent that the ACRTAG choice is in the hands of publishers, but still, making it default is a somewhat heavy statement from Valve. (also, if I didn't read SteamDB wrong, CS:GO currently has ACRTAG set to "no", so even a Valve games doesn't allow cross region gifting).

But I don't really agree with your definition of region lock.
I mean, it being a term coming from the olden console days, for me is simply a binary answer at the question: "will it run on my console if I buy it on playasia?".
This said, you can see that a situation in which I buy a game from Steam Asia (or RU/CIS, etc.) and that game won't run (or install) on my Steam, well, that's region lock for me.

Ok, back then it was mostly because we really really wanted to play, say, Densha De Go, but in a smaller scale it was for price reasons too.
You're English so it may have never occurred to you that from Italy (but I guess from other EU countries too) we used to buy games on Play.com because they were WAY cheaper. I mean, half of my old-old-gen purchases came from Play.com, and they were only possible because there were no region locks between UK and Italy. Today, we replaced UK with RU, but everything else is basically the same.

EDIT: links to Play come out automagically, I didn't mean to spam... :eek:

I wasn't talking about myself, see edit, there is no censorship here, and games that are locked from my region specifically are locked because of GFWL for the most part, or reasons only publishers know, I'm not restricted from gifting for the most part either (although sometimes I am, for reasons I can't fathom, I pay more than anybody else except Aussies), I still see steam as region locked service, as I explained.

Ok let all stop being silly here shall we, what is region locking a 360 game or 3DS game? Or countless other console games? Hardware and software but nothing is stopping you buying them. What's happening with ACRTAG? It's stopping you buying things or more over receiving gifts from outside your region just like a shop that wouldn't export to your country like Play-Asia does with certain new releases to the UK. They're not comparable.

I'm fully aware of the loopy prices we have here and how stupid it is everywhere in western europe but hey guess what I can gift you anything on Steam even if ACRTAG is set to no, just as someone from the US can, just as someone from Australia can. It's specific countries and regions and more often than not it's exactly the same bloody game with not a line of code or language different. The Dead Rising 3 situation, the Wolfenstein situation, the South Park situation are more comparable to what you an Arthea brought up as region locked as you couldn't even run certain copies in specific regions.

JustLynx

OK SteamGAF, that time is officially upon us once again. Yep, you didn't guess it... it's my birthday! So, in order to celebrate my being alive these past 40 fucking years and to thank this community I thought it would be fun to give away a game that probably won't drop in price too much in the near future. I don't have the time to post as much as I used to (and even then it wasn't all that much) but I still check the Steam thread everyday and I really appreciate you dudes. Now it's time for me to drink a few more of these Revolver Blood & Honey American Ales until I get sleepy enough to go to bed!

wow sweet give! thank you very much!
and Happy Birthday!!!

Vuze

Happy birthday MakeshiftChef! Great giveaway too!

So I've been trying to send a gift to my mail for giving it away here but I get this error? Somebody else having the problem right now?
1fc1a08847.png

Also, FC4 etc. still not back on Steam... I slowly start to think Ubipls is serious

Tizoc

OK SteamGAF, that time is officially upon us once again. Yep, you didn't guess it... it's my birthday! So, in order to celebrate my being alive these past 40 fucking years and to thank this community I thought it would be fun to give away a game that probably won't drop in price too much in the near future. I don't have the time to post as much as I used to (and even then it wasn't all that much) but I still check the Steam thread everyday and I really appreciate you dudes. Now it's time for me to drink a few more of these Revolver Blood & Honey American Ales until I get sleepy enough to go to bed!
Happy bday and thx for giveaway

Gintoki

This is a feature with Enhanced Steam, there is a customize option that allows you to obliterate most of the gamepage. You can find it under the Add to Cart button

Opps, yeah its there. Can't doubt jshackles. Ignoring just specific groups probably has to be implemented by valve themselves though.

Dr Dogg

I think this a great idea, but I think it also needs a very thorough OP and then several people there to be really pedantic and quoting the OP over and over again when people do drive by miss information posts, or simply don't care to try to learn anything. Eventually, it might just drive the point home. Of course anything missing from a thorough OP is worth a discussion too.

Bit of a monumental task though. I'd help support it for sure

It's a futile endeavour dude as everyone has their own set of bloody definitions they want to make up. You try to tell someone that Steam in itself isn't DRM but a function publisher can choice to implement someone will say by having an account to log in is DRM. You can say that regional; pricing is not locking down games and some will argue that because they can't buy something for peanuts that it's locked for them. You can say that it's entire up to publisher whether they choice to use the Steam Storefront to sell their games or generate keys and sell of site with Valve not taking a cut and they will just ignore the point or going around in a cyclical nature back to DRM or some other hog wash.

Let's just look at pricing for a second and anyone try and tell me if this is fair. The minimum wage for us in the UK for a 21 year old in full time 37.5 hour employment is £900 a month net where as somewhere like Poland it's about €300 net after tax. That's close to 4 times as much. While we may have a higher cost of living it isn't too much different when you look at essentials like food and utilities (rents are fucked here mind). Do I honestly feel I can complain that I pay too much for games when I can clearly see other countries getting seriously fucked over like Poland? Honestly I'm not that much of a dick and when you see they are lumped into the same price bracket as Scandinavia who have higher income than us I can appreciate how unfair it is on other regions. But hopefully Valve will have a system in place sometimes sooner or later for regional pricing for everyone and then the blame for discrepancies lies solely with the publisher.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member

Best way to get around it is to stop purchasing (on a mass scale/revolt against) products which are overpriced, but then again people still go and purchase (instead of looking for alternatives). Its almost like the $$$.$$ AU customers are paying, is directly promoting the entity which is representing those prices to distract more from the actual issue.

Arthea

It's a futile endeavour dude as everyone has their own set a bloody definitions they want to make up. You try to tell someone that Steam in itself isn't DRM but a function publisher can choice to implement someone will say by having an account to log in is DRM. You can say that regional; pricing is not locking down games and some will argue that because they can't buy something for peanuts that it's locked for them. You can say that it's entire up to publisher whether they choice to use the Steam Storefront to sell their games or generate keys and sell of site with Valve not taking a cut and they will just ignore the point or going around in a cyclical nature back to DRM or some other hog wash.

you see... the futility of trying argue against "it's not DRM" is gog, while futility of arguing it's not region lock if I'm not affected! is gog... and Sony, nobody is affected there!
sorry I just had to (><)

Best way to get around it is to stop purchasing (on a mass scale/revolt against) products which are overpriced, but then again people still go and purchase (instead of looking for alternatives). Its almost like the $$$.$$ AU customers are paying, is directly promoting the entity which is representing those prices to distract more from the actual issue.

I'm trying to get Europe to stand against it for years, it's not working! Well, may be it could work for Aussies, they could send spiders in numbers to attack all publishers (><)

Dr Dogg

you see... the futility of trying argue against "it's not DRM" is gog, while futility of arguing it's not region lock if I'm not affected! is gog... and Sony, nobody is affected there!
sorry I just had to (><)

Hahaha Sony could murder someones puppies and I bet there would be someone on a message board somewhere defending them. #4theplayers.

Nzyme32

Happy birthday MakeshiftChef! Great giveaway too!

So I've been trying to send a gift to my mail for giving it away here but I get this error? Somebody else having the problem right now?
1fc1a08847.png

Also, FC4 etc. still not back on Steam... I slowly start to think Ubipls is serious

Wait for about 3 hours. Sometimes this happens and you won't be able to do anything till there is a period of inactivity. I don't understand why but waiting works

It's a futile endeavour dude as everyone has their own set a bloody definitions they want to make up. You try to tell someone that Steam in itself isn't DRM but a function publisher can choice to implement someone will say by having an account to log in is DRM. You can say that regional; pricing is not locking down games and some will argue that because they can't buy something for peanuts that it's locked for them. You can say that it's entire up to publisher whether they choice to use the Steam Storefront to sell their games or generate keys and sell of site with Valve not taking a cut and they will just ignore the point or going around in a cyclical nature back to DRM or some other hog wash.

Yeah, I know that it would be futile particularly with the way people are so platform oriented, yet I like to dream haha

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
There's a RAM unlocker of some sort that can make DA utilize more RAM, reduces crashes.

seems to run fine for now. Of course, I have no idea if all the mods are actually working or not. Pretty sure some are not, I barely had any choices on the character creator for example, so all dem hairs arent

Textures sure look pretty and hi res, much more than I remember, so either the texture pack or the revamp mod (or both I guess) are working

no idea if the perma dog mod is working since no dog yet. or the lock bash one since no locked stuff yet. I didnt actually use a lot of mods tbh.

does look prettier than I remember

seems to run fine for now. Of course, I have no idea if all the mods are actually working or not. Pretty sure some are not, I barely had any choices on the character creator for example, so all dem hairs arent

Textures sure look pretty and hi res, much more than I remember, so either the texture pack or the revamp mod (or both I guess) are working

no idea if the perma dog mod is working since no dog yet. or the lock bash one since no locked stuff yet. I didnt actually use a lot of mods tbh.

does look prettier than I remember
welcometopcgaming.gif

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Right now all the new subs have ACRTAG flag enabled, but can I still activate gifts from non-restricted regions like NA and EU?
Because Valve's new policy and some publishers' always lock practice(I'm talking about you SEGA!) have me worried.

Yes. The way it works is simply that a gift purchased by somebody in Eastern Europe can only be activated by other users in Eastern Europe, and ditto for South America and South-east Asia.

It's 6am in Montreal. Ubipeople won't be back at work for another couple of hours.

JaseC, thought you might enjoy this:

i-hqVnV7p-1050x10000.jpg

We're pretty awful.

Kiru

Happy Birthday man! :)

Yes. The way it works is simply that a gift purchased by somebody in Eastern Europe can only be activated by other users in Eastern Europe, and ditto for South America and South-east Asia.
Thank god, otherwise I had to resort to piracy for some title.

Forgot about CD keys, those still work, for now.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I forgot how fucked up the DA universe is.

oh youre a Mage? well you can do the harrowing, in which you can and probably will die to a demon in the fade, you can be basically lobotomized into a bumbling fool with no emotions. Or, you know, we'll just kill you.

and of course, the elf racism

Dr Dogg

It's 6am in Montreal. Ubipeople won't be back at work for another couple of hours.

Though it is 11:58am in Montreuil, France where their Head Office is. Knowing Ubi they probably have 10+ departments spread around the globe who manage their digital distribution service. I spoke to someone in Ireland for their support once.

I forgot how fucked up the DA universe is.

oh youre a Mage? well you can do the harrowing, in which you can and probably will die to a demon in the fade, you can be basically lobotomized into a bumbling fool with no emotions. Or, you know, we'll just kill you.

and of course, the elf racism
The racism is no longer present after 5~10 hours, it's like the writers introduced it because it's "dark fantasy" and then forgot to bring it up afterwards.

JaseC

Though it is 11:58am in Montreuil, France where their Head Office is. Knowing Ubi they probably have 10+ departments spread around the globe who manage their digital distribution service. I spoke to someone in Ireland for their support once.

Haha, I completely forgot that Ubi's HQ is in France. During my ultimately futile quest to obtain a Steam key for Settlers 7 vanilla my ticket was bounced around between three or four different people.

kudoboi

yeah im pretty sure someone up there would have noticed that the games is missing from steam. i'm starting to think this is intentional

Dr Dogg

Haha, I completely forgot that Ubi's HQ is in France.

They've been doing some Q&A promo videos for the two AssCreeds and they have the usual guy Gabe doing Unity and he does them from their US office but for Rogue the have an English chap I've not remember his name and he's doing them from their London Office. Then Unity is developed in primary at Montreal where Rogue is being done mainly by their Romanian studio. It's like something out of a dystopian future setting like Rollerball.

yeah im pretty sure someone up there would have noticed that the games is missing from steam. i'm starting to think this is intentional

I'm still subscribing to the "Ubi stuffed up but wants to point the finger at Valve so the games are being needlessly kept off Steam to make it seem as though there's an ongoing issue" theory since it happens to tie in nicely with the bogus "We've been talking with Valve about the availability of the games in the UK" narrative. If Monday comes and goes and the games still aren't back, then maybe I'll begin to change my mind.

If this was intentional then it was the most stupid time to do it, before your big hitters are out for at least a month. Even if it's not (and I'm 99.99% certain it's not) I can imagine this has cost them a fair old amount of money.

Speaking of Ubisoft, has anyone seen Accent since we moved here? I'm sure he could shine some light into the inner workings of Ubisoft.

JaseC

I'm still subscribing to the "Ubi stuffed up but wants to point the finger at Valve so the games are being needlessly kept off Steam to make it seem as though there's an ongoing issue" theory since it happens to tie in nicely with the bogus "We've been talking with Valve about the availability of the games in the UK" narrative. If Monday comes and goes and the games still aren't back, then maybe I'll begin to change my mind.

Arthea

will you move to uplay for good if Ubi withdraws from steam? It's nagging at me since yesterday and you avoided my question (><)

JaseC

will you move to uplay for good if Ubi withdraws from steam? It's nagging at me since yesterday and you avoided my question (><)

I don't mind using other services if need be so I'd continue buying AssCreed.

Raytow

So no steam related per se, but where one can get the cheapest AC: Unity deal that doesn't involve the indian origin website?

happy birthday sir :)

Since we've all decided that uplay is the future, I suggest everyone head over the the Ubi general forums to check out the scene there - http://forums.ubi.com/forumdisplay.php/191-General-Discussion (edit - they cleaned it up. It was full of bot spam about how to hire escorts and buy cheap shit and what not)

Meanwhile the main thread discussing this on the gaming side makes my head hurt. It's like there are always people waiting in the shadows to take potshots at Valve no matter what the case may be.

My favorite is the "Oh this is a good thing, maybe Valve will start making games again" response. Valve has had a prolific output of games and content over the past 7 years. Far more than most companies including GAF darlings like Naughty Dog or pretty much any studio that isn't pushing out annual games. I guess that's their problem. They support their games for years with free content instead of selling it over and over every year.

Tizoc

Assassin's Creed Unity: $30 (standard), $57 (gold edition) ** if you buy from India Origin
Far Cry 4: $30 (standard), $44 (gold edition) ** if you buy from India Origin
Dragon Age Inquisition: $40 (standard), $45 (deluxe edition) ** if you buy from Mexico Origin

shadownet, check your PM please.
Hmm what do the Gold editions of each of those games offer? Is it just fluff stuff like skins, MP stuff and pointless collectables? Cuz if FC4 Gold gives me Elephant riding earlier I may just bite on it.

JaseC

Hmm what do the Gold editions of each of those games offer? Is it just fluff stuff like skins, MP stuff and pointless collectables? Cuz if FC4 Gold gives me Elephant riding earlier I may just bite on it.

The Gold Editions are just game + Season Pass bundles (and cost exactly the same as buying the two individually). For the first time ever they don't include exclusive content*.

* Provided you pre-order.

sensoft04

Banned

Wont be entering this giveaway but this really is an awesome giveaway!
Happy Birthday to you

Arthea

Japanese publishers are too dumb for that.

I'm not sure you won't regret those words, as of latest developments it would seem that's what SE plans to do in the near future, what I think is much sillier than not having an own client, when there is no need for it.

The gold editions have the season pass included in addition to a few extra bits and bobs. In my experience those extras are rarely, if ever, worth the price premium. Here's what's included in the FC4 season pass. No mention of elephant riding early.

edit - according to the all knowing Australian, there aren't any extras.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom