• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2014 - Ride of the Valkyries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Dogg

Morning. I see it's still day 2 of the Ubipocalype. I might go have a rumage through Linkedin to see if any former Steam content managers for Ubisoft are recently unemployed.

So FM15? Any first thoughts over previous entires?

Gintoki

The hell is this?

Tk8O2iZ.png

Was looking at Shantae: Risky's Revenge and of all things a curator group called GamerGate is the featured quote. There's no way to block them, either.

I use adblock to remove curator comments, it'd be great if it was a feature in enhanced steam

redlacs

so, uhm.. how long it takes until you receive verification email for WRC Powerslide so you can play multiplayer? after couple of hours im starting to think it wont come at all

OK SteamGAF, that time is officially upon us once again. Yep, you didn't guess it... it's my birthday! So, in order to celebrate my being alive these past 40 fucking years and to thank this community I thought it would be fun to give away a game that probably won't drop in price too much in the near future. I don't have the time to post as much as I used to (and even then it wasn't all that much) but I still check the Steam thread everyday and I really appreciate you dudes. Now it's time for me to drink a few more of these Revolver Blood & Honey American Ales until I get sleepy enough to go to bed!

ModBot said:
Instructions for MakeshiftChef:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste. Your giveaway will be automatically reposted on your behalf.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (MakeshiftChef, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Pay it forward. You can only win this game if you've given away a game since you last won a game (minimum one total giveaway).
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Call of Duty Advanced Warfare -- MB-667680763E9632A2 - Taken by Cth. 90 entrants total.

t1415438057z1.png

Coreda

I use adblock to remove curator comments, it'd be great if it was a feature in enhanced steam

It's not so much the curator comments, as it is that particular group. I follow the GAF curation group, so it's nice to see their comments for some games, but a group reaching the the featured comments just to quote gamer gate politics is absurd.

OK SteamGAF, that time is officially upon us once again. Yep, you didn't guess it... it's my birthday!

Happy birthday, Makeshift! And nice giveaway.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
OK SteamGAF, that time is officially upon us once again. Yep, you didn't guess it... it's my birthday! So, in order to celebrate my being alive these past 40 fucking years and to thank this community I thought it would be fun to give away a game that probably won't drop in price too much in the near future. I don't have the time to post as much as I used to (and even then it wasn't all that much) but I still check the Steam thread everyday and I really appreciate you dudes. Now it's time for me to drink a few more of these Revolver Blood & Honey American Ales until I get sleepy enough to go to bed!

I won't be entering this but awesome giveaway and happy birthday!

Arthea

Morning. I see it's still day 2 of the Ubipocalype. I might go have a rumage through Linkedin to see if any former Steam content managers for Ubisoft are recently unemployed.

are there? (><)

people pour hundreds on hours in those, that might mean something, don't you think?
I actually haven't got hooked on FM14, even if I was afraid I would be.

happy birthday!
not entering myself, but that's one hell of a giveaway

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday!

Dr Dogg

Happy B'day! Awesome and super generous give away. Always appreciate a post for yourself or checking out what you've been up to on my activity feed. Just don't forget were in community now.

Arthea

Happy birthday MakeshiftChef

Gog is giving away a free game to french users, because it introduced french language in GOG.
I'm pretty sure it will do the same with Italy, giving away Daikatana for free :D

I haven't got a free game when they added english support, unfair!

dex3108

Happy B-Day and thank you for giveaway :D

Bigby

Happy birthday!

I find I don't mind the Ubipocalype. I was going to wait on unity anyways as I'd like them to patch the game to a playable state on my PC. Hey, it worked for me with Black Flag anyways. :)

Oh yeah, I've never played a FM game before so no opinions shall be forthcoming from me.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
well, apparently ubi is at their usual shenanigans yet again

One Reddit user reports receiving a message from Ubisoft Support regarding the removal, suggesting the publisher doesn’t know what’s going on either:

“At this time Steam has removed the purchase option for Assassin’s Creed: Unity. Unfortunately we do not have the information as to why they have removed the ability. Usually these issues are caused by purchasing problems and are resolved quickly. For more information, I would recommend contacting Steam’s support team to verify at what time the option to purchase will be returned.”

Dr Dogg

In this time of "great uncertinany" I'd like to remind everyone what a wise, bearded man once said, more over about restrictive DRM and availability.

Wise Bearded Man said:
Digital Rights Management (DRM) is a sensitive issue. Many games have been the subject of boycotts due to a draconian use of DRM. The most extreme DRM forces players to be online, and to stay online, if they wish to play the game. What are your views on DRM?

In general, we think there is a fundamental misconception about piracy. Piracy is almost always a service problem and not a pricing problem. For example, if a pirate offers a product anywhere in the world, 24 x 7, purchasable from the convenience of your personal computer, and the legal provider says the product is region-locked, will come to your country 3 months after the US release, and can only be purchased at a brick and mortar store, then the pirate's service is more valuable. Most DRM solutions diminish the value of the product by either directly restricting a customers use or by creating uncertainty.

are there? (><)

people pour hundreds on hours in those, that might mean something, don't you think?
I actually haven't got hooked on FM14, even if I was afraid I would be.

I've got to remember my log in details first as I have next to no use for Linkedin other than being nosy.

I find I don't mind the Ubipocalype. I was going to wait on unity anyways as I'd like them to patch the game to a playable state on my PC. Hey, it worked for me with Black Flag anyways. :)

Oh yeah, I've never played a FM game before so no opinions shall be forthcoming from me.

Hahaha well i was expecting to be left out in the rain on the Steam front for a while anyways so this changes nothing for me personally. I was tempted to pick up a cheap Nvidia promo key if the benchmarks come back with the game not being uber demanding. Plus it's not like I don't have enough games on my plate to finish already.

MaLDo

Assassin's Creed Unity: $30 (standard), $57 (gold edition) ** if you buy from India Origin
Far Cry 4: $30 (standard), $44 (gold edition) ** if you buy from India Origin
Dragon Age Inquisition: $40 (standard), $45 (deluxe edition) ** if you buy from Mexico Origin

When you buy those games in Origin, are they linked in your u-play account? I mean, can you play them without Origin launcher?

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me

beerpour.gif

Copons

In this time of "great uncertinany" I'd like to remind everyone what a wise, bearded man once said, more over about restrictive DRM and availability.

I remember that interview very well (also, IIRC he wasn't bearded at the time
still wise tho
) and it was kinda eye-opening, at least for those who like me, never really thought about this stuff.

The current ACRTAG situation disavows a little the region lock part of that answer, but I still think that it's precisely this kind of company behaviour that puts Steam several steps above every other service (GOG excluded).
Moreover, it's from that kind of statements that lots of other gaming companies stem their behaviour. I don't think Devolver or CDPR user-centric attitude would have existed (or at least, not in the same greatness) if Valve didn't pave the way in the first place.

Arthea

greenlight update: if counter is still working, I'm not sure right now as it is bugged obviously (it changes to some incredible numbers while switching tabs), there were 56 games greenlit recently. Among those are GRAV and Lynn that I can see.
Eternal forest still not greenlit, let's vote for it!

in other news
wanna some pizza? (that looks hilariously bad in some way)

hi there my weird game
the more genres mixed, the better, please be good!

greenlight update: if counter is still working, I'm not sure right now as it is bugged obviously (it changes to some incredible numbers while switching tabs), there were 56 games greenlit recently. Among those are GRAV and Lynn that I can see.
Eternal forest still not greenlit, let's vote for it!

in other news
wanna some pizza? (that looks hilariously bad in some way)

hi there my weird game

the more genres mixed, the better, please be good!

That pizza game almost looks like the bizzaro version Cook, Serve, Delicious!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Spares:

ModBot said:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.

Glacier 3: The Meltdown -- MB-3CB809D42D6C08F6 - Taken by hepburn3d
Urban Trial Freestyle -- MB-7364D57A4127827D - Taken by Texan365
Real World Racing Bundle -- MB-998940117AE99F97 - Taken by Casimir

And happy berfday, enemy from Rayman Origins.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
just installed a FUCKLOAD of mods, lts see if DA:eek:rigins blows up (or just imediatly crashes)

Dr Dogg

I remember that interview very well (also, IIRC he wasn't bearded at the time
still wise tho
) and it was kinda eye-opening, at least for those who like me, never really thought about this stuff.

The current ACRTAG situation disavows a little the region lock part of that answer, but I still think that it's precisely this kind of company behaviour that puts Steam several steps above every other service (GOG excluded).
Moreover, it's from that kind of statements that lots of other gaming companies stem their behaviour. I don't think Devolver or CDPR user-centric attitude would have existed (or at least, not in the same greatness) if Valve didn't pave the way in the first place.

To be fair though that's publishers making a choice and it's not always on. While it may be on by default, that's up to the publisher if they leave it be of take it off. More over the region problem is staggered release dates where one titles is available in one region but not in another, all ACRTAG stops is getting the same available product for a cheaper price. It's not region locking more locking down region specific pricing. Everyone should stop saying a title is region locked because it doesn't allow for gifting outside your region. If it has the runtime level locks like Dead Rising 3 had for Germany then that is a region lock.

Anywho moving on to more important Steam misconceptions and ill informed posters, this thread is full of them.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=927832

It's getting a bit silly now but a lot of people are unaware of what the services Steam offers publisher and what the effects and implications they are to us the customers. Lots of misinformation and ignorant posts in one thread alone. I would say we need a thread to clear all this up so it can be nipped in the bud but the kickstarter thread on a similar topic crashed and burned because no one read the OP and with community banishment no one is going in here much to ask questions but just make uninformed assumption.

Arthea

To be fair though that's publishers making a choice and it's not always on. While it may be on by default, that's up to the publisher if they leave it be of take it off. More over the region problem is staggered release dates where one titles is available in one region but not in another, all ACRTAG stops is getting the same available product for a cheaper price. It's not region locking more locking down region specific pricing. Everyone should stop saying a title is region locked because it doesn't allow for gifting outside your region. If it has the runtime level locks like Dead Rising 3 had for Germany then that is a region lock.

Anywho moving on to more important Steam misconceptions and ill informed posters, this thread is full of them.

It's getting a bit silly now but a lot of people are unaware of what the services Steam offers publisher and what the effects and implications they are to us the customers. Lots of misinformation and ignorant posts in one thread alone. I would say we need a thread to clear all this up so it can be nipped in the bud but the kickstarter thread on a similar topic crashed and burned because no one read the OP and with community banishment no one is going in here much to ask questions but just make uninformed assumption.
It is region locked, and I for one won't stop saying that, if half of the world can gift a game and another half can't, it is region lock and no amount of words will change that. That's not misinformation, that's exactly what it is. One of nicer steam features is gifting option, if you take that away from some regions you region lock steam feature, so let's call it what it is - region lock.
For example, if I was to go to US and buy an xbox game there, I can't play it, because it's region locked, if someone on steam buys a game as a gift and gifts it to other region, where person can't play it (or activate in this case), it's exactly the same region lock.

edited: we already can't buy games from other regions on steam because of regional pricing, so it's definitely region locked service in that regard (except outside steam, of course), while double region locking it with no possibility to gift it for some regions, and then there is triple region lock where it can't be played in some regions if even it can be activated, or locking on language level for example. So ya, we have it bad with region locking nowadays, well not all of us, but does it really matter?

Nzyme32

I think this a great idea, but I think it also needs a very thorough OP and then several people there to be really pedantic and quoting the OP over and over again when people do drive by miss information posts, or simply don't care to try to learn anything. Eventually, it might just drive the point home. Of course anything missing from a thorough OP is worth a discussion too.

Bit of a monumental task though. I'd help support it for sure

Dr Dogg

It is region locked, and I for one won't stop saying that, if half of the world can gift a game and another half can't, it is region lock and no amount of words will change that. That's not misinformation, that's exactly what it is. One of nicer steam features is gifting option, if you take that away from some regions you region lock steam feature, so let's call it what it is - region lock.
For example, if I was to go to US and buy an xbox game there, I can't play it, because it's region locked, if someone on steam buys a game as a gift and gifts it to other region, where person can't play it (or activate in this case), it's exactly the same region lock.

Tell me of all the games you've about from a region outside your own or were going to buy but had the ACRTAG flag set to no were unavailable in your region? It's pricing and you know that, you are locked out of region specific pricing not the game. The misinformation is because region locked is banded about without saying the game is available to you but just at a price you don't want to pay.

Copons

To be fair though that's publishers making a choice and it's not always on. While it may be on by default, that's up to the publisher if they leave it be of take it off. More over the region problem is staggered release dates where one titles is available in one region but not in another, all ACRTAG stops is getting the same available product for a cheaper price. It's not region locking more locking down region specific pricing. Everyone should stop saying a title regioned locked because it doesn't allow for gifting outside your region. If it has the runtime level locks like Dead Rising 3 had for Germany then that is a region lock.

I can agree to a certain extent that the ACRTAG choice is in the hands of publishers, but still, making it default is a somewhat heavy statement from Valve. (also, if I didn't read SteamDB wrong, CS:GO currently has ACRTAG set to "no", so even a Valve games doesn't allow cross region gifting).

But I don't really agree with your definition of region lock.
I mean, it being a term coming from the olden console days, for me is simply a binary answer at the question: "will it run on my console if I buy it on playasia?".
This said, you can see that a situation in which I buy a game from Steam Asia (or RU/CIS, etc.) and that game won't run (or install) on my Steam, well, that's region lock for me.

Ok, back then it was mostly because we really really wanted to play, say, Densha De Go, but in a smaller scale it was for price reasons too.
You're English so it may have never occurred to you that from Italy (but I guess from other EU countries too) we used to buy games on Play.com because they were WAY cheaper. I mean, half of my old-old-gen purchases came from Play.com, and they were only possible because there were no region locks between UK and Italy. Today, we replaced UK with RU, but everything else is basically the same.

EDIT: links to Play come out automagically, I didn't mean to spam... :eek:

Right now all the new subs have ACRTAG flag enabled, but can I still activate gifts from non-restricted regions like NA and EU?
Because Valve's new policy and some publishers' always lock practice(I'm talking about you SEGA!) have me worried.

The hell is this?

Tk8O2iZ.png

Was looking at Shantae: Risky's Revenge and of all things a curator group called GamerGate is the featured quote. There's no way to block them, either.

This is a feature with Enhanced Steam, there is a customize option that allows you to obliterate most of the gamepage. You can find it under the Add to Cart button

so, uhm.. how long it takes until you receive verification email for WRC Powerslide so you can play multiplayer? after couple of hours im starting to think it wont come at all

Milestone gonna Milestone i'm afraid, try again?

Arthea

Tell me of all the games you've about from a region outside your own or were going to buy but had the ACRTAG flag set to no were unavailable in your region? It's pricing and you know that, you are locked out of region specific pricing not the game.

I wasn't talking about myself, see edit, there is no censorship here, and games that are locked from my region specifically are locked because of GFWL for the most part, or reasons only publishers know, I'm not restricted from gifting for the most part either (although sometimes I am, for reasons I can't fathom, I pay more than anybody else except Aussies), I still see steam as region locked service, as I explained.

hepburn3d

Happy birthday! I won't be entering but great giveaway :D

Nzyme32

I can agree to a certain extent that the ACRTAG choice is in the hands of publishers, but still, making it default is a somewhat heavy statement from Valve. (also, if I didn't read SteamDB wrong, CS:GO currently has ACRTAG set to "no", so even a Valve games doesn't allow cross region gifting).

But I don't really agree with your definition of region lock.
I mean, it being a term coming from the olden console days, for me is simply a binary answer at the question: "will it run on my console if I buy it on playasia?".
This said, you can see that a situation in which I buy a game from Steam Asia (or RU/CIS, etc.) and that game won't run (or install) on my Steam, well, that's region lock for me.

Ok, back then it was mostly because we really really wanted to play, say, Densha De Go, but in a smaller scale it was for price reasons too.
You're English so it may have never occurred to you that from Italy (but I guess from other EU countries too) we used to buy games on Play.com because they were WAY cheaper. I mean, half of my old-old-gen purchases came from Play.com, and they were only possible because there were no region locks between UK and Italy. Today, we replaced UK with RU, but everything else is basically the same.

EDIT: links to Play come out automagically, I didn't mean to spam... :eek:

So my interpretation of the ARCTAG as default decision is that it is closely related to Gabe Newell's statement of "hearding cats"

I assumed that by making it default and having "reasonable" pricing per region, Devs / Pubs should feel more confident having their games available everywhere. What we currently see, are still several devs / pubs not making there game available for sale in certain regions at all. Perhaps ARCTAG by default is the way to move that towards specific regional pricing and greater availability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom