• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2014 - Ride of the Valkyries

Status
Not open for further replies.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Well, the second one is only 33% off, but noted.
Makes me sad, really. You'd think they'd improve on the first one...
Of course, the turnaround time was really short, wasn't it?

Yeah, the turnaround time was surprisingly fast and the first game ended somewhat abruptly.

I was hoping for another Diablo-like dungeon crawler (like the first one) but what I got was this weird sort of Diablo-like real time strategy game. I did the first mission during Extra Life, and I really hated it. You have a "base" and the first hour and a half is just you running back and forth trying to keep the monsters away from your base while doing these really weird missions that don't make much sense.

It's like they took the tower defense mini-game from the first one, made it worse, then made that the game. Maybe it gets better after two hours, but I'll probably not be finding out.

I may regret stirring the pot by saying this, but I am considering getting a next-gen controller for PC gaming. Is there a general consensus on which is better? I don't have (or plan to get currently) either the PS4 or XB1 so I have no real bias towards either. I'm currently using a DS3 which is fine with the little clip on triggers, but I imagine either the DS4 or XB1 contoller would be a lot better. What are Steam-GAF's experiences with either? Worth getting either over sticking with my DS3 or getting a cheap wired 360 controller?

Personally I have both a XB1 and PS4 controller, but prefer the XB1 controller for PC. There are only two down-sides: a) it's wired (no wireless option at this time) and b) the shoulder buttons are shit. The triggers are fine, but the shoulder buttons are stiff and weird.

Sarcasm

I may regret stirring the pot by saying this, but I am considering getting a next-gen controller for PC gaming. Is there a general consensus on which is better? I don't have (or plan to get currently) either the PS4 or XB1 so I have no real bias towards either. I'm currently using a DS3 which is fine with the little clip on triggers, but I imagine either the DS4 or XB1 contoller would be a lot better. What are Steam-GAF's experiences with either? Worth getting either over sticking with my DS3 or getting a cheap wired 360 controller?

DS4 with the sticks replaced with Xb1 ones.

iosefe

the DS4 is very nice, and if you have a bluetooth thing, it works with that. the S4 feels good too

cheap wired 360 contorllers don't have much of a shelf life do they? anyway, if it can wait till black friday you can get a cheaper DS4, which is definitly worth it.

also DS4Windows gives such customizations, like completely changing what the different touchpad clicks do. so good

wetflame

Pizza Dog
the DS4 is very nice, and if you have a bluetooth thing, it works with that. the S4 feels good too

cheap wired 360 contorllers don't have much of a shelf life do they? anyway, if it can wait till black friday you can get a cheaper DS4, which is definitly worth it.

also DS4Windows gives such customizations, like completely changing what the different touchpad clicks do. so good

I'm in the UK so I'm not sure I'll be getting any Black Friday deals. Appreciate the comments though!

Dr Dogg

Well Ubi support are on the ball today. Let's see if this clears things up.
S1qxT8w.png

So no, more buck passing. Well I've preempted they would tell me this so I've already submitted a Steam Support ticket but I'll tell them a little white lie as I know how that's going to turn out and let's try again.

I really want to know the 'person' these other folks spoke to who said it was 'fine' and a 'mistake'.

Turfster

Yeah, the turnaround time was surprisingly fast and the first game ended somewhat abruptly.

I was hoping for another Diablo-like dungeon crawler (like the first one) but what I got was this weird sort of Diablo-like real time strategy game. I did the first mission during Extra Life, and I really hated it. You have a "base" and the first hour and a half is just you running back and forth trying to keep the monsters away from your base while doing these really weird missions that don't make much sense.

It's like they took the tower defense mini-game from the first one, made it worse, then made that the game. Maybe it gets better after two hours, but I'll probably not be finding out.

Wow, that does sound horrible.

The Moon Sliver keys are available for the Indieroyale Debut 14 bundle
Bundlestars is having a multiplayer weekend sale, which includes Speedrunners as mentioned earlier but also multi-packs for Chivalry, God Mode, Kill Fun Yeah and Dino D Day (don't get this, it's really crap)

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
The messaging from Ubisoft does appear to be specifically about the UK, where games being held back from Steam due to the relative strength of PC retail is not a new or uncommon occurrence.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays off as the realities of the European and North American market are completely different.

Grief.exe

There is really no definitive version as both controllers work well and both are improvements over their previous iterations.

XBO controller does not work wirelessly yet.

JustLynx

Well Ubi support are on the ball today. Let's see if this clears things up.
S1qxT8w.png

So no, more buck passing. Well I've preempted they would tell me this so I've already submitted a Steam Support ticket but I'll tell them a little white lie as I know how that's going to turn out and let's try again.

I really want to know the 'person' these other folks spoke to who said it was 'fine' and a 'mistake'.

from http://steamcommunity.com/groups/RemGC/discussions/1/558750717615826144/#c620696522063351840

this dude, and another friend told me the same thing,
but yeah, you were right, they never showed any proof...

Dr Dogg

The messaging from Ubisoft does appear to be specifically about the UK, where games being held back from Steam due to the relative strength of PC retail is not a new or uncommon occurrence.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays off as the realities of the European and North American market are completely different.

The thing is 'Rebecca' completely glossed over that I mentioned 'No you misunderstand it's not available anywhere on Steam. The Steam Community Hub is still up but the store page have upped and vanished for every single region on Steam. Not in the USA, not in Mainland Europe, not in Asia etc' and continued banging on about the UK. In fact I never brought up what region I was from so i guess it was pulled from my profile or IP address.

I'd rather they come back say 'look we don't know what happened but we'll get back to you' than the two replies I've got back so far. Especially as I've stated 'I have no intention to purchases these from any other retailer other than Steam so clarification is what I am after.'

wetflame

Pizza Dog
There is really no definitive version as both controllers work well and both are improvements over their previous iterations.

XBO controller does not work wirelessly yet.

Yeah, I figured. My laptop's bluetooth doesn't work properly anyway so non-wirelessness isn't an issue for me right now. Will try getting my hands on the controllers to see which I like the feel of better. Thanks for the comments everyone!

morningbus

The thing is 'Rebecca' completely glossed over that I mentioned 'No you misunderstand it's not available anywhere on Steam. The Steam Community Hub is still up but the store page have upped and vanished for every single region on Steam. Not in the USA, not in Mainland Europe, not in Asia etc' and continued banging on about the UK.

I'd rather they come back say 'look we don't know what happened but we'll get back to you' than the two replies I've got back so far. Especially as I've stated 'I have no intention to purchases these from any other retailer other than Steam so clarification is what I am after.'

I wouldn't be surprised if it is some kind of roboform that she has to fill out a certain way based on your keywords. The statement is so oddly specific and unprovoked otherwise.

Dr Dogg

I wouldn't be surprised if it is some kind of roboform that she has to fill out a certain way based on your keywords. The statement is so oddly specific and unprovoked otherwise.

Yeah that and the speed of reply has me thinking as much. Oh well fingers crossed third time's a charm or I'll find something better to amuse myself with.

Copons

Who cares about ubisofts & dragons when you have to keep in line two cats who keep fighting against each other to win a place in my profile picture.

community tab is community + cat of personality and whatnot

morningbus

Yeah that and the speed of reply has me thinking as much. Oh well fingers crossed third time's a charm or I'll find something better to amuse myself with.

If the customer service representative won't escalate your request, escalate it yourself: a flight to France isn't that expensive.

Maniac

Banned
Ugh... GAF did a fart and this reply happened. I apologise for the inconvenience, meanwhile, you may have this cute GIF.

RV2dZfk.gif

Maniac

Banned
Anyway, just turning serious for a moment. I think Ubi took money from Nvidia, just like they took money from Microsoft on console, to promote their new GPU.
I mean, those recommended still are insane, and this is the only way I can explain why.
Uh, this is standard for Ubi. Ridiculous specs due to their incompetence, it's their trademark feature :)

Besides, they've worked with Nvidia on just about all their latest offerings, especially when it comes to AC. And the 3 or 4 latest AC games have had Nvidia logos on their pages or in their trailers, because they're making use of Nvidia GameWorks. Sometimes extensively, whilst other times it's barely used.

morningbus

When does Dragon: The Movie come out?
When does Dragon: The Ride open up?
When does Dragon: The Musical leave Broadway?
When does Dragon: The Sexual Awakening begin?

Parsnip

Just saw AC Unity launch trailer.
God damn, whatever else Ubisoft does wrong, they sure make good trailers.

Also, there has been activity in the Unity app after the store name removal, so something's still happening there.

Knurek

Valkyria Chronicles got region locked?
Lots of subs in steamdb, last time I checked there was only one...
Pity if true.

Just saw AC Unity launch trailer.
God damn, whatever else Ubisoft does wrong, they sure make good trailers.

Also, there has been activity in the Unity app after the store name removal, so something's still happening there.
Also good taste in music, which makes their cinematic trailers even better.

Why were you getting a lego Batman 3 refund?

I pre-ordered thinking I would still get their 10 game Batpack promo but it turned out to be a first come first serve type of deal and I guess they ran out before I placed my order. I also decided I don't need yet another Lego game for a while even if this one does get into DC's expanded universe.

Coreda

Valkyria Chronicles got region locked?
Lots of subs in steamdb, last time I checked there was only one...
Pity if true.

If so, what are the regions it's now divided into, anyone know? Edit: clicking the subs appears to indicate the groupings.

Dr Dogg

If the customer service representative won't escalate your request, escalate it yourself: a flight to France isn't that expensive.

Hahaha I'm not quite at the level of sociopathy just quite yet. Plus I could put that money to better use, like a Origin India copy of Unity.

Parsnip

If so, what are the regions it's now divided into, anyone know?

Turkey
Thailand, Lao People's Democratic Republic, Cambodia, Vietnam, Myanmar, India
Singapore, Malaysia, Philippines, Indonesia, Brunei Darussalam
Brazil, Colombia, Argentina, Peru, Venezuela, Chile, Ecuador, Bolivia, Paraguay, Uruguay, Guyana, Suriname, French Guiana, Falkland Islands (Malvinas)
Russian Federation, Belarus, Ukraine, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Moldova, Republic of, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan
China, Taiwan, Hong Kong

These are the new subs it seems. You can look at them all here.
https://steamdb.info/app/294860/history/

edit: Also, Unity store page appears to be back.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/289650

JustLynx

Something small...
but hey at least it got cards!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (JustLynx, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Antisquad -- MB-8550551879B91FA9 - Taken by darkchewie. 5 entrants total.

t1415388679z1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom