• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2014 - Ride of the Valkyries

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello nice people of Steam-Gaf. Caught a cold and didn't come by this thread for some days.

I planned on catching up with the thread but 100 pages is bit daunting :eek:

Anything nice or interesting happen? Price mistakes, new stuff coming to Steam, etc.?

Btw, thank you Shadow for Shadow Warrior again :)
Hope you doing fine and thought about my proposal.

jediyoshi

what did I miss besides this blizzard tf2 like game but w/o the charm of tf2?

it's funny seeing all the blizzard fanboys in that thread and ppl like totalbiscuit deny any tf2 cloning

Pretty sure even TF2 doesn't actually resemble TF2 anymore. It's a pretty lazy comparison either way. Role wise it looks closer to something like MNC, it's just that that's not as sexy a target to paint.

Latest Steam Beta:

General

Fixed crash in rich text controls
Fixed setting passwords for private beta branches with no content change
Added retail disc support for FreeOnDemand apps without cd-keys
Fixed couple screenshot uploader bugs in displaying the number of characters left in caption

Windows

Fixed a race leading to a rare crash when exiting Steam on Windows

Tenfoot

Fixed being able to add free games and free DLC to your library
Added filtering of promotional messages by platform and controller type
Fixed positioning of some Store carousels when running in low resolutions

Linux

Fixed web views not displaying if you run Steam under multiple OS user accounts

zkylon

zkylewd
i never understand what steam updates mean with race

like, "Fixed a race"

now that sounds racist

is that racist

someone let me know

Pretty sure even TF2 doesn't actually resemble TF2 anymore. It's a pretty lazy comparison either way. Role wise it looks closer to something like MNC, it's just that that's not as sexy a target to paint.
At this point TF2's the team shooter equivalent of WoW against a sea of lesser clones at this point, so of course the featureset isn't going to match. The inspiration for all of these utterly wacky team shooters with personality remains clear.

Like the game or not, TF2's potential for fun endures throughout the changes. (The halloween stuff is bonkers.)
Haha, truth be told I entered the thread thinking it was an old Overstrike thread. I didn't realise I was wrong until I read the time of the OP.

Exactly. Every time I type Overwatch there's a thought in the back of my mind going, "Hey~ ARE YOU SURE THAT'S THE RIGHT TERM?"

In the end, Overwatch will always be XCOM's little innovation. Though I think Valkyria Chronicles has something similar... and it predates XCOM by quite a margin.

Shadownet

Banned
Not surprising.

Rock star objectively made the game worse without adding anything of value.
I know the removal of the songs was happening but did they removed 1080p as well? If so that's really shitty. There is no reason for doing that. (I ask because I haven't play San Andreas on PC yet, so idk if you can play it in 1080p or not prior to the patch.)

jediyoshi

At this point TF2's the team shooter equivalent of WoW against a sea of lesser clones at this point, so of course the featureset isn't going to match. The inspiration for all of these utterly wacky team shooters with personality remains clear.

Like the game or not, TF2's potential for fun endures throughout the changes. (The halloween stuff is bonkers.)

So the crux of the comparison is purely tonal and grasping at aesthetics? Why make such a fuss if they're mechanically disparate? Was Blizzard supposed to stop injecting humor into their franchises at some point? Would you even try to make the argument that these two games have less than a delta between them than what War3 brought to Dota and what Dota 2 became?

I know the removal of the songs was happening but did they removed 1080p as well? If so that's really shitty. There is no reason for doing that. (I ask because I haven't play San Andreas on PC yet, so idk if you can play it in 1080p or not prior to the patch.)

From what I've read the original release had broken resolution options (or it was missing, not sure). A patch was then supplied that fixed the problem. This latest patch seemingly removes/breaks the previous patch, so the resolution is borked again.

i never understand what steam updates mean with race

like, "Fixed a race"
Possibly race condition.
Has to be talking about a race condition.

Does san andreas now have steam achievements?
Nope.

zkylon

zkylewd
overwatch looks kinda cool

i like the doctor robot girl with the wings

much better than crazy german dude

and the other one that turns back time

i'm gonna play as those two a lot i bet

i hope it's f2p

that makes sense

that's what i get for being self taught in programming

all those things are called thingies to me

So the crux of the comparison is purely tonal and grasping at aesthetics? Why make such a fuss if they're mechanically disparate? Was Blizzard supposed to stop injecting humor into their franchises at some point? Would you even try to make the argument that these two games have less than a delta between them than what War3 brought to Dota and what Dota 2 became?
The bottom line is, aesthetics sell games. Copying or mimicking another game's visual style or "feel" is an obvious attempt to leech their popularity via osmosis.

It's sad that Blizzard has fallen this low. It's like a leader becoming a follower... In other words, a demotion.

Team Fortress 2 is cool.

The math checks out.
I'm impressed.

zkylon

zkylewd
i don't really think it looks like tf2. visually i mean.

also like class based multiplayer shooters need personalities. how else are you gonna tell the classes apart and know which one you like and relate and create memes and all that junk.

Ozium

much better than crazy german dude

fhL1yN5.gif

that's racist

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
i don't really think it looks like tf2

The medic and engie classes they showed are a little on the nose, mechanically. *Shrug*

I was pretty excited by the story and gameplay trailers, but a tad less so after all the reminders of Blizzard's history of...Let's call it "appropriation."

Anyhoo, about GTA: SA; at the risk of sounding dismissive due to ignorance, isn't it super easy to mod the radio stations in that game by this point? Couldn't you put literally anything back in there, licenses be damned?

Messiah

Oh nice Valkyria Chronicles preload. Welp 16 GB

Speaking of SEGA ...
Persona 3's final boss is total shit. After 1 hour of tedious fighting I got killed by a charmed party member. Oh well time for some grinding I guess.

zkylon

zkylewd
might i say tho, developers, if you please, doing the whole introducing a character by showing their abilities, then slowmo on them on a cool pose as you show their name on screen with some filter on and they mumble a terrible line like "one shot, one kill" is no longer cool

it just isn't

it was at a time when it wasn't done in every single game

and now you've ruined it for everybody

think about what you done

fhL1yN5.gif

that's racist
that's germanist

The medic and engie classes they showed are a little on the nose, mechanically. *Shrug*

I was pretty excited by the story and gameplay trailers, but a tad less so after all the reminders of Blizzard's history of...Let's call it "appropriation."
yea i added "visually" in my edit just in case that wasn't clear (which i guess wasn't)

i really don't see much of a problem since it's happening like a million years after tf2 was released and it's prolly gonna have its little spin and everything

it's kinda weird seeing blizzard like trying to have a stake in like every multiplayer genre tho

makes me think what a super smash type game with blizz characters might look like

Anyhoo, about GTA: SA; at the risk of sounding dismissive due to ignorance, isn't it super easy to mod the radio stations in that game by this point? Couldn't you put literally anything back in there, licenses be damned?
well vice city let you like put on mp3s and stuff

i think lana del rey is perfectly suited for drive bys

It reminds me more of Fortnite. Disclaimer: It has been a long time since I've looked at Fortnite.
edit: wait scratch that

you know what the characters of overwatch remind me of

saints row 3

they totally have that delicious candy plastic look to them

Shadownet

Banned
From what I've read the original release had broken resolution options (or it was missing, not sure). A patch was then supplied that fixed the problem. This latest patch seemingly removes/breaks the previous patch, so the resolution is borked again.
Oh that is really stupid. Man they're making a lot of people mad. I'm most likely not going to buy GTA V if they don't fix this.

Beat Red Faction: Guerrilla tonight, took me around 10-12 hours, had a really good time with it, blowing stuff up and knocking things down with the hammer never gets old, kinda bummed though that in the transition from GFWL to Steamworks they removed the cheats option, so during the campaign I unlocked cheats for doing certain task, but I have no way of activating them because the option is removed, also the enter code option doesn't work which allowed you to enter DLC codes to unlock stuff like a dope ass golden hammer.

Overall though, I had a really good time, I'll probably leave it installed for a while and just mess around in the open world when I'm bored and maybe mess around with the multiplayer some more.

Miguel81

I'm still so psyched about Valkyria Chronicles being on Steam. I just want so many more JRPGs on there, damn it. ;_;

The Ivalice pack(Final Fantasy Tactics, Vagrant Story, and Final Fantasy XII International) needs to happen. Some of the Tales, Persona, and the Kingdom Hearts games as well. That will satisfy most, I'd wager.

Edit: Oh, and let's not forget some of the Dragon Quest titles(VIII please) and Ni No Kuni.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Me to, me too. Also let's hope they be awesome and release VC2 and 3 on Steam. I think I'd die of happiness.
I'm sure that they're at the very least considering it, since I can't see VC not being a success, especially since it had such momentum going for it when it was stealth announced. It'd be simple to capitalize on the popularity, and might even revitalize the brand if everything goes well.

The Ivalice pack(Final Fantasy Tactics, Vagrant Story, and Final Fantasy XII International) needs to happen. The Tales, Persona, and Kingdom Hearts games as well. That will satisfy most, I'd wager.
I don't think that expecting FFXV and Kingdom Hearts 3 to come to Steam is that big of a stretch, since they're being developed on Unreal 4. They'd definitely be easier to port than custom engine games. I'd rather have some real SMT games (might not be a stretch either, since Atlus is under Sega's wings now), but I'd expect Persona games more, since they have cult hit vibes going for them.

Also, if you guys are shopping around for a controller, a Wii U pro controller is going for about $24 new. edit: JK it's a knock off third party controller with a similar name. I'm tired

zkylon

zkylewd
the fact that the newest alone in the dark is a budget coop shooter is like the most depressing thing ever

finding out it's 30 bucks is like why would you send this game to die like this

The Ivalice pack(Final Fantasy Tactics, Vagrant Story, and Final Fantasy XII International) needs to happen. The Tales, Persona, and Kingdom Hearts games as well. That will satisfy most, I'd wager.

oh man that owuld melt my faces off

just thinking about it akjflkajsdlkasjdd

Miguel81

I don't think that expecting FFXV and Kingdom Hearts 3 to come to steam is that big of a stretch, since they're being developed on Unreal 4. It'd definitely be easier to port than a custom engine. I'd rather have some real SMT games (might not be a stretch either, since Atlus is under Sega's wings now), but I'd expect Persona games more, since they have cult hit vibes going for them.

I'd hope PC gamers would be receptive to Nocturne. Rather enjoyed that title and it's creepy vibes. It got way too tough from what I remember, and I never ended up finishing it. That was circa 2006.

oh man that owuld melt my faces off

just thinking about it akjflkajsdlkasjdd

IndianaJonesfacemelts.gif

That would be truly awesome for fans and newcomers alike.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
I'd hope PC gamers would be receptive to Nocturne. Rather enjoyed that title and it's creepy vibes. It got way too tough from what I remember, and I never ended up finishing it. That was circa 2006.

Haven't played Nocturne yet (it's still in its plastic wrap, time pls ;_;), but I'd love to see Digital Devil Saga 1&2 on there. They seem unloved and it's a shame because they're great (...well, I like 1 better than 2, but 2's good too). It'd never happen though.

Knurek

Edit: Oh, and let's not forget some of the Dragon Quest titles(VIII please) and Ni No Kuni.

Knowing Squeenix, you'd get a direct phone port - synth music, no voice acting, landscape mode only,
massive stuttering everywhere, locked to 720p

Coreda

Wish there was a way to PM a user on Steam without having to friend them first, especially seeing as some users aren't in any groups.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom