• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2014 - Ride of the Valkyries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Advance Warfare starts really strong, really liking it

Shadownet

Banned
For those that keep saying Kevin Spacey look like wax. Trust me. It doesn't in game. The pictures really doesn't do the game justice.

Though I haven't been able to play the game cause the cutscenes are fucked up. The sounds slow down and shutter a lot.

Dr Dogg

i need to pick up red faction guerilla, someone put it on sale pls

edit: kevin spacey looks like wax

i see that guy from binary domain got himself another game to be in

Funnily as 'that guy' from Binary Domain, Charlie was voiced by Troy Baker who also stars in Advanced Warfare. Truly the Kevin Bacon of gaming.

so this game came out yesterday on steam : http://store.steampowered.com/app/315540

looks fun but i dont know if i should get a game when is in early access , anyone here got the game??

Good news! Looks like there's a demo. Definitely getting some 8bit vibes.

Vazduh

Brings the price of arkham origins to 4$ (lowest ever?) & many more games (VC is 14,39$).

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

20% off gamersgate coupon -- MB-711E0F83242842EB - Taken by Varg

Maniac

Banned
I just wish Blizzard would develop a uniquely designed experience instead of always rehashing multiplayer ideas.

I'm an idealist.
I don't think they've done that in a decade, so you're both an idealist and an optimist. :p

from the thread

lol
That's depressingly on-point lol

They probably feel about like I did when the v6 store went live
Now they just need to launch the vShackles store.

Oh god I just realized it's like TF2 combined with LOL's completely tactless character design.
But it's comedic! Don't you see? There's even a british blonde!

But while the cinematic video was good (as always), nothing about that universe or characters seems particularly noteworthy anyway, and they are venturing into a market that's arguably even more saturated than MMOs.
Too bad they're too incompetent to create a good follow-up to Warcraft 3; the RTS market is all but oversaturated as-is, but SC2 has proven to me that I don't want them to make WC4.

It reminded me of a lot of things. Mass Effect, Warhammer, Darksiders, Metal Gear Rising, to name a few.
If you're gonna rip someone off, you might aswell rip off some of the best, right? And they've been doing it with Warhammer since their very first game; why stop now?

Retailer power. Who'd have thunk when in most region they are close to non existant and/or irrelevant that there would still be these silly issues most of the time. I mean Valkyria Chronicles is releasing world wide on the same date and time for everyone but AC Unity has about 7 different dates and times for different regions.
Don't forget the dozen or so different editions!*

I'm assuming it has that many, anyway - as I figure they'd want to one-up Black Flag. Also shaving cream should count as a special edition. :p

Dr Dogg

Oh fuck off EA, do I really need to download a 1gb patch to BF4 to fire up the SP? All I wanted to do was capture a high res pic of Irish's mug so we can play a little game. Origin world problems.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Nuuvem is still the best option available for Dragon Age 3 right?

Oh fuck off EA, do I really need to download a 1gb patch to BF4 to fire up the SP? All I wanted to do was capture a high res pic of Irish's mug so we can play a little game. Origin world problems.

I'm amazed that you remember the name of a character from BF4's SP campaign.

Dr Dogg

I'm amazed that you remember the name of a character from BF4's SP campaign.

Well in my browsing for an alternative I found it on the subtitles. I've been calling him Omar since forever.

So then folks Omar Little or Keyser Soze? Who looks more like their real life actor?
6.jpg
15739917182_cc46011403_o.png

Maniac

Banned
Wow, really loving Binding of Isaac: Rebirth so far (well, everything except for the new music.. I keep hoping I'll unlock the original soundtrack at some point).
I want this game. Someone, plis! -_-'... I'm broke other than my Steam Wallet monies, but I want to save them for the winter sale. Damned sales! lol

i have a job interview in a few weeks for like dream job

hope i don't fuck it up
Ooooh, what's the job? Either way, best of luck! ^^

Just a heads up fellow Dragon lovers...

DRAGON THE GAME which just launched today on Early Access, will receive an update in a week...

What this means is that DRAGON THE GAME will grow from a hatchling into a beast by the time of full release.
I hate you.
You magnificent, beautiful cunt <3

Pretty sure even TF2 doesn't actually resemble TF2 anymore. It's a pretty lazy comparison either way. Role wise it looks closer to something like MNC, it's just that that's not as sexy a target to paint.
Right, but MNC was also heavily inspired by and somewhat borrowed from TF2. Although it made for a better game, which makes it even more of a shame that Uber is an incompetent studio. :[

So the crux of the comparison is purely tonal and grasping at aesthetics? Why make such a fuss if they're mechanically disparate?
They're very close mechanically though. Sniper dudette with a charging rifle for easier one-hit kills, a medic with a healing beam whom also buffs other characters' damage output or shields them from damage, a soldier person that can shoot themselves up into the air with their rockets and blast rockets at the enemy? A speedy, cheeky character who does light damage until they get up close? An engineer-guy who plonks down a shitty turret, which he then punches with a wrench to upgrade; teleporters, shields, sticky bombs, a bow sniper guy, invisible knifey person, it's all just as if someone took TF2 and nipped a few bits out of every role and made more roles out of these bits. And then slapped on a few more polygons and some "eh" attempts at humor and called it a day.

Mind you, I'm really not trying to bash the game. I honestly quite like the look of it, as I do with TF2. I'll definitely try it, however I don't see the game working out with how Blizz handles F2P and microtransactions, coupled with an increase of cheaters whenever something is indeed F2P.

I really want it to be F2P in some ways, but... At the same time, I really am scared shitless it'll be F2P.
overwatch looks kinda cool

i like the doctor robot girl with the wings

much better than crazy german dude
Zky, Zky, Zky... Zky. Plis. Nothing's better than our german docta. Other than Hermes, ofcourse. He's one bitchin' dove.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I really want it to be F2P in some ways, but... At the same time, I really am scared shitless it'll be F2P.
Zky, Zky, Zky... Zky. Plis. Nothing's better than our german docta. Other than Hermes, ofcourse. He's one bitchin' dove.

Hermes? You mean Archimedes?

Knurek

hatomoalasjb.png

Game #97 of they year was Hatoful Boyfriend.

Without spoiling things too much, yes, it is a joke game. And yes, some of the character routes are a tad bland. And it doesn't have VSync for some reason...

But the payoff... God, the Hurtful Boyfriend route is as much of a mindfuck as Ever17's Coco Ending was.
I am deadly serious here, if you even remotely like VN's, soldier through all the pigeon sex.

Ruruja

Seriously thought , why in the world would rockstar patch out 1080p? Any reason?

I agree with that cynical guy (I can't remember who, I quoted this ages ago) who said they're probably going to make you pay for a HD version for £4.99 or something.

Good morning SteamGAF :D If you don't care what Client you are using you can get ACUnity and FC4 for 41$ for Standard Edition and for 64$ for Gold Edition and if you have GMG Credit you can lower that price even more :D

http://www.greenmangaming.com/vip/

Games discounted to £34.99 is still far too much for a PC game, tell me I'm wrong.

P.S. This is still my preferred method of transportation :D And i hope i will get new one next year.

When I went to Germany and Netherlands, I was so jealous of their cycling network. No wonder everyone cycles there - I wish it wasn't a deathwish to ride your bike everywhere in UK.

Maniac

Banned
Jeez! So much stuff to reply to! That's what I get for being out of the loop for 18 hours! lol.
and we never got the female cast update
Pyro's totes a female. Noone will ever convince me otherwise; and she's just so cute and lovely.

The bottom line is, aesthetics sell games. Copying or mimicking another game's visual style or "feel" is an obvious attempt to leech their popularity via osmosis.

It's sad that Blizzard has fallen this low. It's like a leader becoming a follower... In other words, a demotion.
They're not been a leader in years, though. And they even started out by ripping off someone else. So I don't really know if it's a new low for them, as much as a familiar, old low.

i don't really think it looks like tf2. visually i mean.

also like class based multiplayer shooters need personalities. how else are you gonna tell the classes apart and know which one you like and relate and create memes and all that junk.
You should read what I wrote farther up and perhaps what EmCeeGramr posted here.

It's not necessarily a bad thing, though. If it picks up a lot of the good things from TF2 and improves on them, I can't fault them much. Iteration is a big part of games development and the evolution of genres.
Well in my browsing for an alternative I found it on the subtitles. I've been calling him Omar since forever.

So then folks Omar Little or Keyser Soze? Who looks more like their real life actor?
Well, on the right side, you've got some of the creepiest, dead eyes ever seen in gaming, on the left, you've got eyes that actually look quite good, rather realistic, properly lit and not flat, empty and shiny. Omar wins by a stretch. I also am inclined to believe that Spacey looks worse than modeled characters because face-cap coupled with a so-so engine, a sub-par poly limit and some odd, wet-looking lighting effects and shaders tends to just look downright bad. But that might just be me. I really do like what DICE managed to do with peoples' eyes. They look really good imo.

Hermes? You mean Archimedes?
Yeah, sorry. Brainfart - I just woke up, kind of went to bed when the sun was out, so I'm tired as hell. Thanks for the correction though! :p

That's all I have to rant about for now; If anyone needs me, I'll be at the spa, mending my poor finger-tips.

I'll likely not be around for the rest of the day, and if I am, it's not for long. So see you all later, and may the rest of your weekend be great! <3

Ozium

Trace Vector is fun.. it's in the Indieroyale and was in the previous Blink bundle...

instead of just idling it give it a whirl if you are into arcade type games

soundtrack is good too

Chariot

hatomoalasjb.png

Game #97 of they year was Hatoful Boyfriend.

Without spoiling things too much, yes, it is a joke game. And yes, some of the character routes are a tad bland. And it doesn't have VSync for some reason...

But the payoff... God, the Hurtful Boyfriend route is as much of a mindfuck as Ever17's Coco Ending was.
I am deadly serious here, if you even remotely like VN's, soldier through all the pigeon sex.
Now I'm really intrigued.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Sap wise COD Ghosts isn't that bad.
I'm liking it more than MW3.

Dunno what the common ranking for these games are.
typical internet snob rating:
MW1
MW2 (for da memories)
COD2
BLOPS (gave me cancer, never played another COD hur hur)

Usually these people never played COD1 or it's multiplayer during it's heyday.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
still better than BLOPS tho m i rite?!

I like blops... plus it has zork

BLOPs campaign is a bit rough at points, but I enjoyed it on my recent 4K replay. They definitely err on the side of enemy spam and COD has really reigned that in since then.

Jawmuncher

Oddly enough I rate COD1-3 as their own games because of the setting. But yeah COD3 is definitely the weakest of the bunch regardless. Appreciated what they tried to do but it didn't work out.

I still need to play Black Ops 2 at some point for the campaign since the multiple angles interested me on that one. Still my recollection on MW3 just felt like it was a expansion pack. Which I know some people would argue is every COD game. Maybe I need to play it again at some point. If there's a MW collection I probably will then.

Accoun

Not sure i it was already mentioned, but I've only just heard on a stream about Mushroom 11 and it's kinda interesting. You play as some kind of proceurally generated mushroom (from space?) with an exact number of cells. You don't control him directly, but you can erase the existing ones, which makes him grow in other directions. You solve physics puzzles with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y61pzE6hyZ0

[EDIT]
Oh shit, their website says the soundtrack is by The Future Sound Of London!

Ban Puncher

People hated BLOPS? I thought that was the one where everyone thought "Hey, maybe Treyarch aren't the B-Team after all", especially after Infinity Ward tried to eat it's own ass after MW2.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
People hated BLOPS? I thought that was the one where everyone thought "Hey, maybe Treyarch aren't the B-Team after all", especially after Infinity Ward tried to eat it's own ass after MW2.
MW2 has much better scripting and pacing and setpiece design that BLOPS1 despite the story issues.

Shadownet

Banned
As Jaw said I count CoD 1-3 as something separate.

So with that. I would put MW1, MW2, Black Ops 2, Black Ops, Modern Warfare 3 in this order.

Haven't play enough of Advanced Warfare to judge yet.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
AW is the best COD game since COD4 so far imo, im really liking it

Eh I never really enjoyed any of the cods. But for what its worth the campaign for modern warfare 2 held my attention the most(still didn't finish it tho, never finished any of em cause they're all pretty boring.)

So I tried playing Dark Souls today. Seeing the general mood with the game is pretty good, I started doing the lenghty download of the game. I have been reading DSfix and other stuff to tweak it while it loads. Great it works and then GFWL started acting up... I have to search for a compatible GFWL for Windows 8.1 and install it.

Then here comes the best part, GFWL is not available for my country. So I now have a offline mode DS that won't save just because GFWL is unavailable. I feel like I'm treated like an unwashed y'aarr pirate that don't deserve playing the game. And that's outrageous since that game was legally bought, not ripped / pirated just for the sake of it. Can't wait for that shitty DRM to be removed from that game. For now I have a 4gig useless folder that I won't touch till that plague of the DRM dies.
Btw reminds me? Origin>Uplay right?
Yup. One of the things EA got right that Ubi didn't. Aside from the dubious "download speeds" it is a pretty good game client / launcher.

Jawmuncher

So I tried playing Dark Souls today. Seeing the general mood with the game is pretty good, I started doing the lenghty download of the game. I have been reading DSfix and other stuff to tweak it while it loads. Great it works and then GFWL started acting up... I have to search for a compatible GFWL for Windows 8.1 and install it.

Then here comes the best part, GFWL is not available for my country. So I now have a offline mode DS that won't save just because GFWL is unavailable. I feel like I'm treated like an unwashed y'aarr pirate that don't deserve playing the game. And that's outrageous since that game was legally bought, not ripped / pirated just for the sake of it. Can't wait for that shitty DRM to be removed from that game. For now I have a 4gig useless folder that I won't touch till that plague of the DRM dies.

SHouldnt be much longer of a wait
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/10/21/saved-our-souls-dark-souls-migrating-saves-to-steam/

Spacey looks pretty bad. I can't believe they're using Lego hair for a current gen game in 2014.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom