• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2014 - Ride of the Valkyries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lain

It's too bad Blizzard doesn't sell its games on Steam, otherwise I could put Diablo 3:RoS or WoW:WoD as my GOTY2014 in the Steam GOTY thingie comes GOTY time.

zkylon

zkylewd
Ooooh, what's the job? Either way, best of luck! ^^
it's a game dev thing

Zky, Zky, Zky... Zky. Plis. Nothing's better than our german docta. Other than Hermes, ofcourse. He's one bitchin' dove.
ehhh his trailer was more disturbing than funny

Pyro's totes a female. Noone will ever convince me otherwise; and she's just so cute and lovely.
what's that have to do with being female -__-

spider sniper lady is neither cute or lovely you know

You should read what I wrote farther up and perhaps what EmCeeGramr posted here.

It's not necessarily a bad thing, though. If it picks up a lot of the good things from TF2 and improves on them, I can't fault them much. Iteration is a big part of games development and the evolution of genres.
i said visually

valve did a lot of things right with tf2, i don't think copying those things like a million years later is too bad. i bet blizzard's take on the formula will be interesting

classes aren't everything, for starters they seem to be less weapon based and more "action" based which maybe means you can do multiple special abilities at once. plus there are super powers which seem a lot higher impact than tf2 stuff. it looks a bit more twitchy too

so i dunno, it's copying the general formula to very telling levels but if it's good it's good

wilflare

It's too bad Blizzard doesn't sell its games on Steam, otherwise I could put Diablo 3:RoS or WoW:WoD as my GOTY2014 in the Steam GOTY thingie comes GOTY time.

I wonder if that will happen some day.
Activision owns Blizzard right... or am I reading the wrong news all these while

Hugstable

Banned
Wait a damn minute. Isn't that girl a voice in huniepop?

LOL it sounds so much like it

Diablo 3 is sooooo damn good, now that I'm thinking about it, D3ROS right be my game of the year along with Kirby and Bayo2. I really enjoyed Dishonored also since I played it this year, but that def didn't release this year haha. I'm surprised by Diablo 3 after all the hate I heard it used to get, which is why I avoided it for so long. I'm glad I gave in and started playing it, been doing a Hardcore run with a Demon Hunter recently.

Also man I need to force myself to finish FFXIII, for some reason the point where I started disliking the game is the part where everyone appearently says it gets good. Gran Pulse killed all interest I had in the game before then

Anteater

man naruto is great when the cutscenes aren't too slow, like the kushina and minato scene was pretty long, I kind of like them though since I could just sit back and watch them, and I've never read this arc before.

didn't know haku and zabuza comes back, so that fight was cool too, I kind of liked those 2 characters from the beginning of the story.

I actually kind of like the qte stuff, the action sequences are really cool.

I wonder if that will happen some day.
Activision owns Blizzard right... or am I reading the wrong news all these while

WoW's been around for ten years and it still has more market share than any other MMORPG. It does this without receiving exposure from, or giving a cut to, Valve. I don't see its showing up on Steam at any point.

Chariot

It is pretty uncanny never even realized.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcGPYxpPt6Q
Huniepop didn't actually name any one of their voice actors. So I guess, she could be one they asked.

GMG Deal of the day is Cities in Motion 80% off, Cities in Motion 2 75% off
Does anyone know if CiM 2 is better or worse than CiM?
I liked the Verkehrsgigant and this is the next best thing to it.
man naruto is great when the cutscenes aren't too slow, like the kushina and minato scene was pretty long, I kind of like them though since I could just sit back and watch them, and I've never read this arc before.

didn't know haku and zabuza comes back, so that fight was cool too, I kind of liked those 2 characters from the beginning of the story.

I actually kind of like the qte stuff, the action sequences are really cool.
Yeah, bullshit no jutsu. I didn't like that they were digged out again. Their story was perfect as it was. But for the game I was glad since I love playing as swordman.

Deitus

i said visually

valve did a lot of things right with tf2, i don't think copying those things like a million years later is too bad. i bet blizzard's take on the formula will be interesting

classes aren't everything, for starters they seem to be less weapon based and more "action" based which maybe means you can do multiple special abilities at once. plus there are super powers which seem a lot higher impact than tf2 stuff. it looks a bit more twitchy too

so i dunno, it's copying the general formula to very telling levels but if it's good it's good

Honestly, I see the amusement in the Overwatch/TF2 comparisons, but Overwatch looks different enough to not just look like a TF2 ripoff. I mean it's clearly inspired by TF2, but the number of characters, the mobility options, and the degree of variance between characters is going to make it play like a very different game, even if it borrows a lot from TF2.

But anyway, Blizzard has always heavily borrowed from other games on the market, and then applied the Blizzard polish to make their games stand out. If a gameplay concept really works, it's not always a bad thing for someone else to take it and iterate on it, even if it isn't the most original thing in the world. Sometimes doing something well is more important than doing it first (which is not to say that TF2 didn't do what it did well, I was speaking more generally). I haven't really cared for most of Blizzard's recent output, but Overwatch looks interesting enough for me to at least give it a shot. At least as long as they don't botch the whole thing with a terrible business model.

Thorgal

I am conflicted whether i want The evil within or Alien Isolation first and i can only afford one right now .

Any recommendation steaf gaf ?

Jawmuncher

I am conflicted whether i want The evil within or Alien Isolation first and i can only afford one right now .

Any recommendation steaf gaf ?

Alien Isolation I found to be the one I could pick if only I could choose one.
What specifically do you want?

Thorgal

Alien Isolation I found to be the one I could pick if only I could choose one.
What specifically do you want?

Just a new and good horror experience and both the alien franchise and the resident evil vibe of each game repectively appeal to me hence being torn on which to choose .

Jawmuncher

Just a new and good horror experience and both the alien franchise and the resident evil vibe of each game repectively appeal to me hence being torn on which to choose .

Alien is definitely the "scarier" game.
EW had some tense moments but it basically delves into hardcore RE4 minus the goofiness and melee gameplay.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Advanced Warfare is crashing a lot near the end... just like Ghosts. Something is deffinately up with these latest nvidia drivers and COD games :/

So guys, I'm bored at work and I've been thinking of what I'd like in the next fallout game cause you know, fallout is god tier. So for me(realisticly):
-Current gen only so its not held back by the ps360.
-since it won't be obsidean making it, I'd like for at the very least all the things they did in NV(factions, etc.) To be in fallout 4. I'm fully expecting them to take what they had in fallout 3 and dumb it down as much has humanly possible to appeal to this casuals tho.
-interesting setting. Now say what you want about Bethesda but at least fo3 had a better setting than nv. Nv was straight up boring. Didn't help that they shove down that country shit down your throat. Hoping we get a diverse soundtrack like fo3.
-try to make melee combat more fun
-I'd LOVEfor them to actually make the game work good in 3rd person instead, I like seeing my character
-quest for every companion like new Vegas
-stable engine pls
-and most importantly (even more important than stable engine), for the love of god don't tell me I waited all this time for skyrim with guns. That wasn't so much an issue for me with fo3 since I never played oblivion but I did play a lot of skyrim and I don't want to play that same shit again but with guns.

So what about you guys? I know I got a few more but I can't be bothered to remember em right now since I'm at work and I keep having to stop typing to take care of customers

So it's been one day since D-Day.

How does everyone feel?
So, I completed Dreamfall Chapter 1. And...so disappointed.

First, it's not the most important element, but still is important. Graphics are too heavy for what they offer. The game runs on Unity, Unity has limitations has engine. When you reach Europolis, the game runs like shit. They released a patch to improve performance, but it only raised some FPS, but the fact is: stuttering everywhere. When you are in little location you won't notice that, but as soon as you try to run (Kian section), or simply you will reach a larger area, the game will turn in a stuttering fiesta.

Second. First ten minutes in Storytime are just great. Then, the game turns into a boring thing I don't care at all. Politic factions, boyfriend that need lunch, a SHITBOT to test...really? Really we waited all those years...for this?

I know, this episode serves as introduction, but those seeds they planted here will rise during future episodes, so the game is about them. Of course I HOPE there are other plot elements in the game, but until now, all dialogues are boring like hell, as all the "quests" you need to do in order to proceed. Exploring Europolis? Is a no-no. Because Europolis is simply empty. No side-quests, no entertaining (except one singer that...doesn't move his lips at all), nothing. So you just need to do what the game want to proceed, and that's all.

Interesting.

I've only seen Giant Bomb's Quick Look, but the Shitbot stuff and roaming around the city absolutely sold me on the game. The gritty and down-to-earth nature of TLJ's universe mixed with the fantastic, adventure game-y writing is something that Dreamfall Chapters has retained from what I've seen. The only real drawbacks I've noticed are the performance/Unity engine stuff and the episodic nature of the release.

Unity seems to hold back every game that uses it... Shadowrun Returns, Wasteland 2, and now Dreamfall Chapters.

Accoun

Speaking of Catan, it reminds me of this:
http://www.catan.com/game/catan-die-erste-insel-first-island-for-windows-pc

I have it on disc and actually liked it back in the day (not sure how it would play today, but it's a board game adaptation - there aren't that many things you can mess up if the original's good, I guess). Might reinstall, since I have an old laptop with Windows XP on it and there's a chance it'll work.

Suprisingly (?), it didn't come out in English. Although Wikipedia is wrong saying it only came out in German since I have a Polish version (http://www.gry-online.pl/S055.asp?ID=3793). On the other hand, I thought I've seen an English demo somewhere, but I most likely just am remembering wrong...

The Steam recommendations doesn't make any sense

dPIkQ59.png

The Shitbot section is ten minutes long, you do boring stuff in and there. Is not funny at all, even if it tries desperatly to be.
The roaming among the city, again, is pure bore. There's nothing, and you will run on those streets just to reach a point again and again, with the only purpose to artificially increase game lenght. If they would implement a fast travel map, Chapter 1 would be only two hours long instead of 3.
I dunno, I was really sceptical about Dreamfall Chapters after how disappointing Dreamfall was, but everything I've seen of DC has suggested to me that it's a return to form. Chapters, like the previous entries, is about opening a window to another land and soaking up the atmosphere as much as it is playing an adventure game.

Well, in any case, I hope Dreamfall Chapters is as good as it seems.

The Steam recommendations doesn't make any sense

dPIkQ59.png
Both of them are indie games? Or maybe they're both arcadey...

Coreda

I haven't completed Amazing Princess Sarah.
But I think I've played enough of it to write a review.

First off let's get the obvious out of the way. You look at the title-screen for this game and what do you see? Cleavage. That's right, Sarah is a Princess with ample bosom, she also has a tiara, and that's her castle in the background, oh and she's the daughter of a king. Now that we're done establishing the obvious let's talk about the game.

Fixed for accuracy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom