• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2014 - Ride of the Valkyries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tellaerin

also i gotta wonder which fo3 character you found able to emotionally connect. my memory's really bad about that game but i'm really having a hard time thinking of one. maybe dogmeat.

I'm going to ignore the bad joke there (Dogmeat? Really?) and answer the question seriously.

There were some characters in FO3 that I genuinely liked and cared about (Elder Lyons, Three Dog, your supermutant buddy Fawkes, your dad), but in general, I didn't look at any of them and say "holy shit, these characters are amazing". But that was okay, because I liked the world and atmosphere, and the game wasn't really about traveling with companions and having conversations with them. For the most part you were on your own, and that fed into the atmosphere of the game. It was about exploring the ruins for me, the sense of discovery as I uncovered the history of this place.

NV didn't have characters I felt strongly about, but it also didn't have the other stuff that made FO3 so compelling, either. What's worse was that I got the impression that this was deliberate - the interactions with these characters was put front and center because they were supposed to carry the game. You were supposed to feel enough for them that you wouldn't care if the setting felt thin and unrealized in spots or the exploration wasn't there. That's okay, because the player would be focused on interacting with Obsidian's amazing characters! If you don't think Obsidian's characters and dialogue are knock-your-socks-off amazing, where does that leave you?

also yeah play alpha protocol. alpha protocol's great

I'll make that my next "big" game, I think.

Sarcasm

Evolve is kind of fun a bit grindy especially as a medic. Whenever I get medic match always last like 2 minutes so I get very little exp.

Gonna be grindy as heck.

Also what is up with wait times and lag?

Derp

Whaaaat the hell...

Playing Arkham Asylum and i got to the part where
the screen artifacts and the game purposely "glitches", and then the game "restarts" and you're controlling the joker instead. And then it tells you to dodge the bullet and you actually can't. Then it's like "mission failed"... And you're all like "wuuuuuut"... Then you come out of the grave and there's lots of batmans and you're like "wuuuuuuut"

I panicked so hard. Thought my GPU had commit suicide. Then when i realized it was all normal it suddenly became the most awesome thing ever. Favourite part of the game so far.

Whaaaat the hell...

the screen artifacts and the game purposely "glitches", and then the game "restarts" and you're controlling the joker instead. And then it tells you to dodge the bullet and you actually can't. Then it's like "mission failed"... And you're all like "wuuuuuut"... Then you come out of the grave and there's lots of batmans and you're like "wuuuuuuut"

I panicked so hard. Thought my GPU had commit suicide. Then when i realized it was all normal it suddenly became the most awesome thing ever. Favourite part of the game so far.

Yeah, that was amazing.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Whaaaat the hell...

Yeah I had played it when I had built my first computer and thought I did something wrong and my GPU was melting during that scene.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
You're better off watching someone play Alpha Protocol. gameplay had potential to be great but was poorly executed.

Evolve alpha codes for the lurkers . You're welcome

W3VME-2JN20-HKCJY
W3VNG-26NXE-6742G
W3VQB-Z6GPT-PBCIN
W3VQT-ADX3E-2HCJC

SEGA mandated many of the choices in relation to the combat mechanics.

zkylon

zkylewd
I'm going to ignore the bad joke there (Dogmeat? Really?) and answer the question seriously.
huh it's not a joke

dogmeat is one of the most beloved fallout series characters and i thought he was a really cool companion through fo3. for starters his model was super cute

i said i couldn't remember anyone else :/

There were some characters in FO3 that I genuinely liked and cared about (Elder Lyons, Three Dog, your supermutant buddy Fawkes, your dad), but in general, I didn't look at any of them and say "holy shit, these characters are amazing". But that was okay, because I liked the world and atmosphere, and the game wasn't really about traveling with companions and having conversations with them. For the most part you were on your own, and that fed into the atmosphere of the game. It was about exploring the ruins for me, the sense of discovery as I uncovered the history of this place.
well that's why i said dogmeat, i can't remember any characters in fo3 i liked except the few i mentioned earlier.

i was just wondering if i missed someone or something

NV didn't have characters I felt strongly about, but it also didn't have the other stuff that made FO3 so compelling, either. What's worse was that I got the impression that this was deliberate - the interactions with these characters was put front and center because they were supposed to carry the game. You were supposed to feel enough for them that you wouldn't care if the setting felt thin and unrealized in spots or the exploration wasn't there. That's okay, because the player would be focused on interacting with Obsidian's amazing characters! If you don't think Obsidian's characters and dialogue are knock-your-socks-off amazing, where does that leave you?
i'm not sure if i follow

if you don't like the main feature of a game you won't like it, that stands for new vegas, fallout 3, everything and specially so in very specialized games like story-driven rpgs like new vegas. like if you don't like platformers you're not gonna like mario games, it's not like you're playing it for the story :/

I'll make that my next "big" game, I think.
i personally thought alpha protocol was super great in the characters department

gameplay's pretty terrible but you can tell they tried.

btw whatever you do make sure you get at least one point in chainshot

srs

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
So it seems like Evolve is the new hotness, huh? I wasn't even aware of it until an hour ago.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I could have given you a Alpha key.

Thanks. Steam GAF is good GAF. I thought I was buying the full game unlock for $10 :/

I only found out it was Alpha after activating the key over Steam. I guess there's no way to unactivate it? I didn't hit the Next on Activation Successful box. I doubt it. If he made a mistake, he got screwed out of his alpha key, too.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Thanks. Steam GAF is good GAF. I thought I was buying the full game unlock for $10 :/

I only found out it was Alpha after activating the key over Steam. I guess there's no way to unactivate it? I didn't hit the Next on Activation Successful box. I doubt it. If he made a mistake, he got screwed out of his alpha key, too.

You could ask Valve to remove the key from your account, but with 43.5 hours left, and it being the weekend, I wouldn't bother.

Edit: dahfashfouisahfosuah

Why did you buy a key? Are you new to Steam-trading/buying keys?

Keys for full games are NEVER released this early. Always go for a gift copy if you're gonna "pre-order" via traders.

edit: maybe that came off a bit harsh, but I just thought I'd let you know!

Bboy AJ

Why did you buy a key? Are you new to Steam-trading/buying keys?

Keys for full games are NEVER released this early. Always go for a gift copy if you're gonna "pre-order" via traders.
That's true? I guess. I got South Park early but gift so yeah you're right.

Sajjaja

That's true? I guess. I got South Park early but gift so yeah you're right.

Either way, keys were not syndicated anywhere since this mistake was exclusively through steams store in indonesia. a little thought could've prevented this.

still sucks though :(

koma

So, i started a Curator page to list interesting weird games that are available on Steam, any suggestions?

trust%20me%20sugar.png

Tellaerin

i'm not sure if i follow

if you don't like the main feature of a game you won't like it, that stands for new vegas, fallout 3, everything and specially so in very specialized games like story-driven rpgs like new vegas. like if you don't like platformers you're not gonna like mario games, it's not like you're playing it for the story :/

If you're selling me an RPG where the character interaction is supposed to carry the game, then I need to be invested in those characters and care about what happens to them, enough so that I feel motivated to do things in the game and am concerned with the outcomes of events. If that's not the prime thrust of your RPG, then it's fine if the characters aren't as likable or the player doesn't connect with them as well, because there are other things there to keep them playing.

To me, NV fails where FO3 succeeds because NV wants me to care about the characters they've created, and they've made that the focus of the game, but the characters generally don't evoke much feeling in me. If they did, I'd be able to ignore my disappointment with other elements I feel are lacking there. By comparison, FO3 didn't try to saddle me with a bunch of companions I'm clearly supposed to be interested in (the game was pretty much balanced around the player rolling solo, I think), or present me with character choices whose negative outcomes are only obvious after the fact
("Hey, you talked Arcade into fighting alongside you and the Remnants at the battle of Hoover Dam! So in his ending, he gets hounded out of town by the NCR, BoS (who I'd made peace with in the region!) and bounty hunters, and heads East, never to be seen again and presumably dead! Nice going, hero!")

Why is it everytime I load this thread I get those dumb Java/Flash update phishing ads, it's really annoying, only on this site for some reason to.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member

I don't know how the BST works, but there is probably some sort of rules related to this event.

Anywhere from three months (007 Legends) to about 7 years (Monster Jam).

lol.

Thanks however.

JaseC

Let's just say that I got a little turned on when she described Guinness from the tap on the Nerdist Podcast.

If only she had the same enthusiasm for Vegemite. :p

lol.

Thanks however.

To Acti's credit, it added the Skyfall DLC to the 007 Legends subs a couple of months later, which was a nice surprise. Said DLC released on consoles in late 2012 but was never made available on the store.

dot

Evolve is kind of fun a bit grindy especially as a medic. Whenever I get medic match always last like 2 minutes so I get very little exp.

Gonna be grindy as heck.

Also what is up with wait times and lag?

The lag was so bad for me that by the time it loaded me up as the monster the hunters had already killed me and the match ended. >_>

Tellaerin

To be fair, I don't want all of my choices to have obvious consequences. Takes the thought process out.

The problem I have is when they're practically unforeseeable. The spoiler I mentioned in particular (and yes, that really pissed me off) is a case in point. There's no way to work out in advance how that situation would play out, and no way to alter the outcome once the die's cast. Given that this was one of the few cases where I did feel invested in a character in that game, it was especially galling.

To Acti's credit, it added the Skyfall DLC to the 007 Legends subs a couple of months later, which was a nice surprise. Said DLC released on consoles in late 2012 but was never made available on the store.

I've got to start looking for a physical copy of that game. I thought there were a couple multiplayer DLC's that also disappeared into the ether when the game got removed.

JaseC

I've got to start looking for a physical copy of that game. I thought there were a couple multiplayer DLC's that also disappeared into the ether when the game got removed.

Your best bet would probably be to have a UK GAFer get you a copy from Amazon. Since you only need the key, there's no need to concern yourself with international shipping costs.

Edit: Which reminds me, I completely forgot to enlist Oublieux's help for Football Manager 2012 Korean a couple of weeks after I purchased 2011 Korean. That'll now have to wait until after the Winter Sale, I suppose.

Oscar-worthy.

zkylon

zkylewd
If you're selling me an RPG where the character interaction is supposed to carry the game, then I need to be invested in those characters and care about what happens to them, enough so that I feel motivated to do things in the game and am concerned with the outcomes of events. If that's not the prime thrust of your RPG, then it's fine if the characters aren't as likable or the player doesn't connect with them as well, because there are other things there to keep them playing.

To me, NV fails where FO3 succeeds because NV wants me to care about the characters they've created, and they've made that the focus of the game, but the characters generally don't evoke much feeling in me. If they did, I'd be able to ignore my disappointment with other elements I feel are lacking there. By comparison, FO3 didn't try to saddle me with a bunch of companions I'm clearly supposed to be interested in (the game was pretty much balanced around the player rolling solo, I think), or present me with character choices whose negative outcomes are only obvious after the fact
("Hey, you talked Arcade into fighting alongside you and the Remnants at the battle of Hoover Dam! So in his ending, he gets hounded out of town by the NCR, BoS (who I'd made peace with in the region!) and bounty hunters, and heads East, never to be seen again and presumably dead! Nice going, hero!")
hey, the reason i asked you about characters was a lot more innocent. like i said, i was wondering if i had just missed anything, specially since i didn't play the dlcs. i feel like i may have rattled you more than i intended to. i mean you went all crazy there with the italics and shit

but anyways, i'd say both games are focused on different things entirely as to say "one succeeds where the other fails".

like fo3 really doesn't give a shit about characters or story. it has some cool quests but what it really wants to do is put markers on your map so you can go see what cool shit is in there. that's the elder scrolls thing of quests as a mean of getting you to visit places. that's fine as elder scrolls people like exploring caves and all that stuff.

new vegas is kind of the other way around, the reason why you go places *is* the quests. the cool shit are the quests.

they're different games, i think fo3 is really bad as a fallout game because everything it offers is meant for elder scrolls people. so if i don't like elder scrolls stuff, where does that leave me? it's the same deal as new vegas for people like you that like elder scrolls i guess

which is probably why you shouldn't grab an existing loved franchise and shove it your other series' gameplay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom