• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2014 - Ride of the Valkyries

Status
Not open for further replies.

abracadaver

If you own The Orange Box then you already have a premium account. Just load up the game (either directly or via SAM/the app id trick) to unlock the items and you'll be able to sell them.

Nice. Thanks.

But you can still get boxes with stuff to sell from playing the game? Do they randomly appear in the maps to collect?

Arthea

oh wow, I have horrible lag in evolve, can't do a thing if there are more than 3 moving thingies on the screen. So much for me playing it.

edited: and waiting for a game isn't long, but oh boy does it take sweet time to load.

More Evolve alpha test codes, so everyone and their mother can play:

JKQPR-VMJ29-J9W5E
JKQVJ-VXFHD-2TZ2E
JKQX8-3YNZ5-T7CNC
JKQXR-X3XQM-EMNQ4

Kiru

So, i started a Curator page to list interesting weird games that are available on Steam, any suggestions?

trust%20me%20sugar.png
"Only If" was a really weird experience for me.

Dr Dogg

A man that never plays Alpha Protocol is never a whole man.

Speaking of fantastic games, this year has surprisingly been a bit special for the PC focused folks. It might seem a bit bland if console, handheld or mobile is your key area but this year alone I've bought these new additions when they've popped up on Steam.

• Metal Gear Rising Revengance
  • Assassin's Creed Liberation
  • Resident Evil 4
  • South Park: The Stick of Truth
  • Thief
  • Child of Light
  • Watch_Dogs
  • Dark Souls II
  • Killer is Dead
  • BattleBlock Theater
  • Wolfenstein: The New Order
  • Murdered: Soul Suspect
  • Might & Magic X - Legacy
  • Final Fantasy III
  • Divinity Original Sin
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Broforce
  • Shovel Knight
  • Abyss Odyssey
  • The Room
  • The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky
  • Transistor
  • Metro Redux
  • Road Not Taken
  • Ultra SFIV
  • Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2
  • Super Time Force Ultra
  • Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition
  • Dead Rising 3
  • FINAL FANTASY XIII
  • The Vanishing of Ethan Carter
  • Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor
  • Alien: Isolation
  • Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition
  • Sid Meier's Civ: Beyond Earth
  • Valkyria Chronicles
Alright there's a stinker or two in there but as a collection of games for a year that's some cracking entertainment right there. And that's not really mentioning stuff I haven't picked up like The Evil Within, Final Fantasy IV, Fable Anniversary, Invisible Inc, Valiant Heart, Grimrock II, and Wasteland 2 or stuff yet to come out like MGSV: Ground Zeroes, AC Unity, Far Cry 4, COD & Chips Advanced Whogemewhotsit, Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris, FM15 etc.

And to narrow that down to just 5 for the SteamGAF GOTY's? That's going to be reeeealy hard.

Durante

Speaking of fantastic games, this year has surprisingly been a bit special for the PC focused folks. It might seem a bit bland if console, handheld or mobile is your key area but this year alone I've bought these new additions when they've popped up on Steam.
Not that surprising really.
(We actually got more on PC than I listed in that thread even though some were delayed, at some point I had to stop keeping up with the thread to have any chance to play the games :p)

Sendou

Yeah, you can't walk freely. You click, your character move a bit, then stops. You click again, and she walks another chunk of road before stopping.
And they sell this stuff for 7€.

That's a shame. The art in the game looks great. Could have fooled me easily.

Arthea

nice list

I already narrowed to 5, it helps a lot that I still haven't played SoM, Divinity: Dragon Commander, Transistor and Child of Light, I think these might be contenders for me, probably, not sure. I plan to play CoL if we'll get deal on dlcs at winter sale still. DDC, Transistor in SoM won't sqeeze into this year already, so that's irrelevant.
my 5 probably will remain, except if VC port is good, I'll have to make some changes:
1. Trails in the Sky
2. the Room
3. Banished
4. One Finger Death Punch
5. Divinity Original Sin

Dr Dogg

Not that surprising really.
(We actually got more on PC than I listed in that thread even though some were delayed, at some point I had to stop keeping up with the thread to have any chance to play the games :p)

Half the games I bought this year were RPGs (no thanks to your hard work!). But even in obscure or forgotten genres there's been at least one high quality release to keep even the most finicky of tastes happy this year. I'm sure where ever Derrick is these days even he has liked a game or two this year.

And next year looks like things wont be slowing down either.

I already narrowed to 5, it helps a lot that I still haven't played SoM, Divinity: Dragon Commander, Transistor and Child of Light, I think these might be contenders for me, probably, not sure. I plan to play CoL if we'll get deal on dlcs at winter sale still. DDC, Transistor in SoM won't sqeeze into this year already, so that's irrelevant.
my 5 probably will remain, except if VC port is good, I'll have to make some changes:
1. Trails in the Sky
2. the Room
3. Banished
4. One Finger Death Punch
5. Divinity Original Sin

I thought The Room was your Game of the Year? I don't think I've gone a month this year without reevaluating my stance on what I've had the most fun with this year. I mean Christ I'm even having fun with XIII more than I did back in 2010. While RE4 is one of my favourite games ever and will more than likely sit at no 1 regardless it's got some competition and the other 4 slots are going to be hard to fill (that is if I don't succumb to madness and put Bayonetta 2 at 2-5).

Tellaerin

hey, the reason i asked you about characters was a lot more innocent. like i said, i was wondering if i had just missed anything, specially since i didn't play the dlcs. i feel like i may have rattled you more than i intended to. i mean you went all crazy there with the italics and shit

but anyways, i'd say both games are focused on different things entirely as to say "one succeeds where the other fails".

like fo3 really doesn't give a shit about characters or story. it has some cool quests but what it really wants to do is put markers on your map so you can go see what cool shit is in there. that's the elder scrolls thing of quests as a mean of getting you to visit places. that's fine as elder scrolls people like exploring caves and all that stuff.

new vegas is kind of the other way around, the reason why you go places *is* the quests. the cool shit are the quests.

they're different games, i think fo3 is really bad as a fallout game because everything it offers is meant for elder scrolls people. so if i don't like elder scrolls stuff, where does that leave me? it's the same deal as new vegas for people like you that like elder scrolls i guess

which is probably why you shouldn't grab an existing loved franchise and shove it your other series' gameplay

Heh, I still love ya, zky. No worries there. : )

I think the thing I might not be getting across to you is that I enjoy RPGs where the focus is player/NPC interaction. My issue with NV isn't that it doesn't handle exploration like an ES game. It's that it wants to be an interaction-focused RPG, but a lot of the characters, their personalities and issues, just don't feel terribly compelling to me. The sort of smirky, off-kilter feel to the narrative doesn't help either - it's like the authors are saying, "We're not taking any of this very seriously, and you probably shouldn't either". If I'm not emotionally invested in the NPCs or the setting, then I'm not feeling a lot of satisfaction when I help those NPCs resolve their problems. So for me to enjoy NV more, the game would need to have either more characters I genuinely like and care about, or be stronger in other areas (like the "Elder Scrolls"-esque aspects you mentioned). Either one would do. Right now, what's there is a decent enough game - I apparently sank 248 hours into it, so obviously I enjoyed it well enough, and I don't feel like the time was wasted - but it's never going to affect me in the same way it does you.

Milamber

Oh god, can I stowaway on an enemy player spaceship and fill it with explosives and detonate it when he leaves the dock!? That would be awesome!

EDIT: It's gone again.

Arthea

I need to know of some Star Citizen approved joysticks so I can plan in advance.

After longer talk with myself I decided to forgo Star Citizen, shocking, I know, but I really have too many games I want to play or finish atm.

Half the games I bought this year were RPGs (no thanks to your hard work!). But even in obscure or forgotten genres there's been at least one high quality release to keep even the most finicky of tastes happy this year. I'm sure where ever Derrick is these days even he has liked a game or two this year.

And next year looks like things wont be slowing down either.

I thought The Room was your Game of the Year? I don't think I've gone a month this year without reevaluating my stance on what I've had the most fun with this year. I mean Christ I'm even having fun with XIII more than I did back in 2010. While RE4 is one of my favourite games ever and will more than likely sit at no 1 regardless it's got some competition and the other 4 slots are going to be hard to fill (that is if I don't succumb to madness and put Bayonetta 2 at 2-5).
The thing about next year is that I mostly be playing this year's games (><)

It is! I have more than one GOTY, like it is supposed to be. I don't think it's possible to compare games from different genres, actually.
Ya, Bayo2 totally gonna take this year, I have no doubt about it.

This game is gonna be my Space Truck Simulator.

it made sense to me, scary thought (><)
I need to get back to ETS2 too, especially now when cheevos are here.

Dr Dogg

This game is gonna be my Space Truck Simulator.

And maybe a whole lot more...

The thing about next year is that I mostly be playing this year's games (><)

It is! I have more than one GOTY, like it is supposed to be. I don't think it's possible to compare games from different genres, actually.
Ya, Bayo2 totally gonna take this year, I have no doubt about it.

Probably. Looking back at my early start to the '52 games in a year' spreadsheet I made the first lot of games I finished where from last year. Though The Witcher III, Pillars, Arkham Knight Ass Creed Rouge and what ever the new AssCreed turns out to be will definitely get my attention.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
You can try buying a physical copy and then hitting up Valve if there's no key. Jshacks did just that and was unsuccessful, but I'm not sure if he asked for a replacement key or to have the game added to his account manually. During my back-and-forth with Valve regarding how to best go about having ARMA 2 (NA) added to my account, I learnt that gift replacements have to be pushed through Steam's backend as a purchase (which means they cost Valve money), so if Jshacks requested a manual addition then that may have been why he got knocked back*; ergo, there's the possibility that you may have better luck asking for a replacement key since Valve doesn't charge a cent for them and so presumably there are no backend technicalities preventing a support staffer from generating them as required.

* The theory at the time was that perhaps Valve can't legally provide replacement copies of games that were pulled due to legal issues, which is also a distinct possibility. If I had the money to spare I'd try my own luck.

Hey thanks! I'll see if I can get my hands on a physical copy and try the replacement method.

Milamber

Think of the modding potential!

I just want to create a space trade empire. I want to be able to buy ships and hire NPC's. I want to buy entire buildings and space stations and expand my business.

EDIT: Actually, other than logistics, I want to also go into production. I want to make my own mining company for example.

Mokoi

Banned
Alien isolation is so atmospheric. I'm really itching to play more, but it's too late to do that. I'm too tired.

I can't watch that star citizen stream, omw to work. So does the fps and space battle take place at the same time or are they two different modes?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Spares (register the Desura key to receive your Steam key):

ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys and 2 other items. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.

Data Hacker: Corruption -- MB-1678B04F6D619264 - Taken by The_Super_Inframan
Data Hacker: Initiation -- MB-979E1334E332E0BF - Taken by rainking187
ulgzbKC.png
(Desura) QbQbQb #2 -- MB-B01E9AB56E5F9F5F - Taken by maty
ulgzbKC.png
(Desura) QbQbQb -- MB-D45273E819F42733 - Taken by Tellaerin

Dr Dogg

I just want to create a space trade empire. I want to be able to buy ships and hire NPC's. I want to buy entire buildings and space stations and expand my business.

EDIT: Actually, other than logistics, I want to also go into production. I want to make my own mining company for example.

Milamber's guilty pleasure wasn't Amorous Coastlines but actually EVE Online.

Arthea

I can't watch that star citizen stream, omw to work. So does the fps and space battle take place at the same time or are they two different modes?

don't fret, stream seems to be over.

I was into EVE for a short while. It is way too complicated. I'd prefer a slightly dumbed down version of it. Preferably with less players.

That's exactly it, not even "complicated" part but it feels like a lot of work, I don't like when games feel like work, one of reasons I stopped playing MMOs altogether.

C4rter

I just noticed I've got "Evolve" in my Steam library. Where is this coming from?

Edit: Okay, it's related to XCom somehow.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
damn it, Evolve. I was sitting with a flawless 400 game count

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I'm trying to decide whether to get an XB1 or PS4 controller myself. I like the look of the XB1 controller more, but I'm more likely to get a PS4. Hmm. Will have to try them both out I guess, they're pretty expensive at the moment.

Tenrius

Welp, I've been buying discounted games at a leisurely pace, but when I was about to buy The Novelist, this popped up:

There seems to have been an error initializing or updating your transaction. Please wait a minute and try again or contact support for assistance.

Actually, it said my credit card was declined by my company at first, but it was like this with every payment method for the past ten minutes both in client and the browser. Stupid bugs.

Strazyplus

Those unfortunate here you go!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Strazyplus, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Non-working Keys:
- If a key is not working simply message Strazyplus, for a replacement!

EVOLVE BETA #1 -- MB-1AF8EEC4E0DDCC02 - Taken by Patison. 1 entrants total.
EVOLVE BETA #3 -- MB-362A371C0F9AEF85 - Taken by confuziz. 1 entrants total.
EVOLVE BETA #2 -- MB-BEB60D54BEDF7582 - Taken by Helmholtz. 1 entrants total.
EVOLVE BETA #4 -- MB-FB2DB3E2AFE79B30 - Taken by TheMadMan007. 1 entrants total.

t1414842734z1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom