• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2014 - Ride of the Valkyries

Status
Not open for further replies.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
But you just posted this, another side remark towards me?

Posted only after you accused me of personally attacking you, despite the fact that I never called you a bad name.

Yes, of course. You're not trying to win anything. Just attempting to make me look like the bad guy with crafty wording. Here as well:

That's an accurate assessment of what's going on.

Here too, you don't want to disarm anything, but push the blame, and make threats. Because I, a relative newbie, could never be more reputable than you.

You accused me of making a personal attack. So far you are the only one who has done such by calling me a dick. I have never attacked you.

Btw, we were talking about Snowpiercer yesterday, and more than a few members participated. So, yeah.

Your post lacked any context, even as loose as "some people were talking about it the other day." Even with a basic context, what did you want from your post? You watched six minutes.

My initial post was a play off your own criticisms of the movie and wasn't meant to be taken as a personal attack. I don't know why you've spun off this simple exchange that could have just been ignored for the quick joke it was into this big class debate.

Unless... This is a metaphor for Snowpiercer isn't it?

Shadownet

Banned
He lives! Also, this is the first time I've seen Stump pop up in my activity feed. But mostly the first thing.
He's alive. But he's still lost. Bring him home JaseC. Show him the way.

Greenlight will be gone in the near future and I guarantee you that Valve will not ask those who've paid the Greenlight fee to pay an app submission fee despite the system swap. In fewer words, anything that is currently on Greenlight is worth buying elsewhere (provided Steam keys are promised).
Wait they're thinking of getting rid of Greenlight? Why? I know it has many flaws but what system will replace it?

And I know, I won't missed.
I'll miss you dearly and your snarky insults at my dear Elizabeth.

Don't pull a shadownet. No offense to shadow.
I'm not offended.
*my heart hurts*

Edit: Saj only post to try and hurt me.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
edited: in other news, I think Q-bert killed my wish to play games (><)

But just look at how melancholy the qberts look :(

ss_1bbf30a031dc37f3766f5f9d2b4942686aaad96a.1920x1080.jpg
Screen_Shot_2012-10-11_at_12.09.49_PM.png

How can you hate these hideous, yet loving beings?

rtcn63

No Morningbus, you were intentionally being an ass. Clear from that first post. You can try to word it how you want, play the innocent victim. But I have enough faith that people in this thread aren't as stupid as you think they are. But sure, keep trying to convince yourself otherwise.

This is my last post for now. I hope. I have hope.

Arthea

But just look at how melancholy the qberts look :(

How can you hate these hideous, yet loving beings?

you got me wrong, I don't hate Qbert, but since I started playing it, I don't want to play anything, now I don't want to play Qbert too. It's the end of Universe as we know it! new Qbert that is.

Morningbus did only mirror your post structure by using the quite brief way of you casually dismissing something after only 6 minutes. It didn't really seem hostile to me, more annoyed.

I am sure he didn't mean to offend you personally.

.... you know your avatar is upside down?
just checking

Chariot

No Morningbus, you were intentionally being an ass. Clear from that first post. You can try to word it how you want, play the innocent victim. But I have enough faith that people in this thread aren't as stupid as you think they are. But sure, keep trying to convince yourself otherwise.

Morningbus did only mirror your post structure by using the quite brief way of you casually dismissing something after only 6 minutes. It didn't really seem hostile to me, more annoyed.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Wow.

I feel I've been accurate in my presentation of the events and I have nothing to convince myself of.

zkylon

zkylewd
just got back from argie gdc, fun stuff

for "kurt russel" who was always complaining about his town apparently there's gonna be another conference in mar del plata sometime next year so hooray for you

also the argie guy that was mentioned here a couple times that was helming that lovecraft kickstarter project that didn't do so good. i think i was talking to zeliard about it, maybe? but i may remembering it wrong. seeing him today he sounds a lot more calm about the whole "kickstarter is dead" dealio and blames it on a bunch of things, not necessarily kickstarter. he said that what actually gave his previous kickstarter a big push was the dreamfall ks bringing in tons of new people which would maybe keep looking for other narrative-heavy things and stumble upon his game, and the lovecraft thing being launched on a relatively drought time might've suffered from that a lot.

so i dunno, interesting stuff i thought

Honestly, I see the amusement in the Overwatch/TF2 comparisons, but Overwatch looks different enough to not just look like a TF2 ripoff. I mean it's clearly inspired by TF2, but the number of characters, the mobility options, and the degree of variance between characters is going to make it play like a very different game, even if it borrows a lot from TF2.

But anyway, Blizzard has always heavily borrowed from other games on the market, and then applied the Blizzard polish to make their games stand out. If a gameplay concept really works, it's not always a bad thing for someone else to take it and iterate on it, even if it isn't the most original thing in the world. Sometimes doing something well is more important than doing it first (which is not to say that TF2 didn't do what it did well, I was speaking more generally). I haven't really cared for most of Blizzard's recent output, but Overwatch looks interesting enough for me to at least give it a shot. At least as long as they don't botch the whole thing with a terrible business model.
if it's f2p i'll try it

the characters are appealing to me and i thought tf2 was fun at one point so if it's somewhat similar but doesn't have all the annoying stuff tf2 has for me i'm guessing i'll enjoy it.

but honestly i'm more interested in the trailers than anything

Deitus

I don't enjoy them or see the appeal, I admit I'm being a snob towards them. I'm just totally perplexed by them being considered games. They're pretty much create your own adventure books, but on a web browser... or on Steam for £10.

I don't really understand why people get so hung up about whether visual novels are games or not. Sure, they are largely comparable to choose your own adventure books, but that still makes the stories 100 times more interactive than any almost other game story, and some of them are better written than most game stories.

But okay, let's say they aren't "games". So what? Neither is Indie Game: The Movie, Gamemaker, or the Half Life 2 soundtrack, or even arguably Garry's Mod (it's a sandbox, and the only "game" in it is what you create for yourself) and yet all of those are available on Steam. But what does it really matter? I understand the resistance to having TurboTax or Excel in the Steam store, but I really don't get the need to split hairs between what's a game and what is "interactive entertainment" and say only the former is allowed on Steam.

Let's just all enjoy ourselves a nice gourd of delicious Yerba Mate

W7qXhS4.jpg

We are friends here people, community doesn't change that!

My father had a mate like that, a thousand times better than the new stuff they are using now.

On topic: how can it be that a game like Valkyria Chronicles which is 16gb and not a major release for most of the Steam user base has a preload and AC: Unity doesn't?

I mean, AC:U will probably get a preload on Monday, but it's awful that such a big game (I'm guessing 50gb or so, going from the other AC games) has such a short window to preload.

just got back from argie gdc, fun stuff

for "kurt russel" who was always complaining about his town apparently there's gonna be another conference in mar del plata sometime next year so hooray for you

also the argie guy that was mentioned here a couple times that was helming that lovecraft kickstarter project that didn't do so good. i think i was talking to zeliard about it, maybe? but i may remembering it wrong. seeing him today he sounds a lot more calm about the whole "kickstarter is dead" dealio and blames it on a bunch of things, not necessarily kickstarter. he said that what actually gave his previous kickstarter a big push was the dreamfall ks bringing in tons of new people which would maybe keep looking for other narrative-heavy things and stumble upon his game, and the lovecraft thing being launched on a relatively drought time might've suffered from that a lot.

so i dunno, interesting stuff i thought

if it's f2p i'll try it

the characters are appealing to me and i thought tf2 was fun at one point so if it's somewhat similar but doesn't have all the annoying stuff tf2 has for me i'm guessing i'll enjoy it.

Nice! Finally we are getting some love too!

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
you got me wrong, I don't hate Qbert, but since I started playing it, I don't want to play anything, now I don't want to play Qbert too. It's the end of Universe as we know it! new Qbert that is.

So, basically, new Qbert is so good that it's killed your interest in games?

Come on guys, if this keeps up we'll be moved to umm ... off-topic community

Kiru

About that beef stuff:

I only saw Morningbus' post as a joke. I also thought Kirosia was being sarcastic later on, I had no idea this was serious business, wow... Chill out dudes & dudettes.

Spyware

I don't really understand why people get so hung up about whether visual novels are games or not. Sure, they are largely comparable to choose your own adventure books, but that still makes the stories 100 times more interactive than any almost other game story, and some of them are better written than most game stories.
I was gonna reply something like this but you were faster :D
(because I'm playing games again, wooh!)

One other thing that bothers me and that I've seen quite a few times lately is the "it shouldn't cost X!" like there was some rule or something. The only one who gets to decide what it "should" cost is the people making said thing. If we buy it or not for the decided price is something completely different, and we can say "It's too expensive for me". Saying that something is "objectively" too expensive is odd and a bit insensitive. We have no idea how much time and effort was spent making said thing.

Nzyme32

About that beef stuff:

I only saw Morningbus' post as a joke. I also thought Kirosia was being sarcastic later one, I had no idea this was serious business, wow... Chill out dudes & dudettes.

Indeed. Text is a horrible modality to communicate, but it's all we've got and this is always going to happen. The Steam has been vented, now lets all have a beer in the sauna

Dr Dogg

Finally! Well I was spurred on by the BF talk in here to actually go update it. So proper comparison Kevin Spacey vs Michael K. Williams.

Also even a year on BF4 is still a looker. More worryingly there aren't many better.
If I wasn't lazy I'd play up to the helicopter scene as the use of Bokeh DOF there is stunning.

Oh yeah, not really a Steam game opps!

Deitus

guys please ):

in happier news, check out Feep's latest thread

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=929128

That... is... amazing!

Look, Morningbus' original post was a bit rude, but it wasn't really out of line with the way lots of people in this thread tease each other without really having ill intent. I see how you might have read it as mean spirited, but I don't think it was intended that way. Even if it was, it's ultimately a petty insult that should just be shrugged off, not blown up into a bigger deal.

By all means, take a break for a bit, and cool off. But don't quit the thread over something trifling like that. No one wins there.

if it's f2p i'll try it

That's pretty much where I'm at with it. If it does end up being free, there's little excuse not to at least give it a try, unless the F2P pay model is especially egregious to the point where I would boycott the game. And it does look like it has the kind of appeal TF2 had before it went off the rails, while still seeming unique in it's own way. The trailers were really well done too.

I'd say I'm cautiously optimistic. I have no expectations that it's going to be the next TF2, but it should be a fun time for a while at least.

zkylon

zkylewd
i'm actually doing pixelart mate to work as placeholder medkits in my game

so cute

But okay, let's say they aren't "games". So what? Neither is Indie Game: The Movie, Gamemaker, or the Half Life 2 soundtrack, or even arguably Garry's Mod (it's a sandbox, and the only "game" in it is what you create for yourself) and yet all of those are available on Steam. But what does it really matter? I understand the resistance to having TurboTax or Excel in the Steam store, but I really don't get the need to split hairs between what's a game and what is "interactive entertainment" and say only the former is allowed on Steam.
games is a poorly defined term

which makes it all the more weird when people are so overly attached to it that they go around saying what's not a game

Finally! Well I was spurred on by the BF talk in here to actually go update it. So proper comparison Kevin Spacey vs Michael K. Williams.

Also even a year on BF4 is still a looker. More worryingly there aren't many better.

If I wasn't lazy I'd play up to the helicopter scene as the use of Bokeh DOF there is stunning.

Oh yeah, not really a Steam game opps!
i wouldn't say it's worrying

thankfully there aren't that many games that spend as much money in making the characters that you only see in shitty qte sections in a throwaway campaign look pretty

Arthea

Welcome to the flip age, my friend.

At least Stumpa is still posting in Off-Topic.

so now, when you can't decide to buy certain game or not, instead of flipping coin (or asking us), you flip your avatar? That's rather revolutionary idea.
which one you haven't bought this time, btw? (><)

Jawmuncher

Just beat COD Ghosts.
Gotta say I like that twist.

All in all it wasn't that bad.
Playing it on easy only took me like 3 hours.
Was basically like watching a action flick.

Parsnip

All this drama in the last couple of days, that's what community does to us.

I played a little bit of DaS2 again.
Had completely forgotten that I had the optional Darklurker boss to beat, so I did.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Huh, just realized I never posted in either October thread... working too much can be a bitch.
Also it being on community threw me for a loop.

Let's just all enjoy ourselves a nice gourd of delicious Yerba Mate

W7qXhS4.jpg

We are friends here people, community doesn't change that!
That's a quite small mate, but I can work with that.

I've heard of smoking marijuana cigarettes, but drinking them? yo yerba m8 is a cool name though.
lol, the only thing in common is that they are green :p
Mate is like tea, but prepared backwards
and so so much better

Miguel81

I see a mouth and some bushy hair. I've never tried this myself, but I'm also not a tea drinker.

How do you PAL guys enjoy your 60hz Sonic games? I'm guessing the Steam versions run at that frequency in your territories.

zkylon

zkylewd
Mount and Blade Warband is some good old fashioned fun, 200 vs. 200 battles against the AI never gets old.

mount & blade is awesome

can't wait for myb 2

I see a mouth and some bushy hair. I've never tried this myself, but I'm also not a tea drinker.
well it's not exatly like drinking tea

like it's thing you drink (i don't think drink's the right word) with friends cos it lasts like for a million hours

it's also cheap and has like mild effects in keeping you awake and hunger free which is nice when you have to study or something. keeps you company

argies and friends are weird

Kyougar

Hmm, why was the thread moved to community? (sorry, i checked the last 4 pages, but couldnt find a post that said, why it was moved, only that it has moved. And i dont know how long I have to go back to see it)
And will every thread now be in Community?

Miguel81

well it's not exatly like drinking tea

like it's thing you drink (i don't think drink's the right word) with friends cos it lasts like for a million hours

it's also cheap and has like mild effects in keeping you awake and hunger free which is nice when you have to study or something. keeps you company

argies and friends are weird

Alright, I'll read more into it at the wiki.

Shadownet

Banned
Hmm, why was the thread moved to community? (sorry, i checked the last 4 pages, but couldnt find a post that said, why it was moved, only that it has moved. And i dont know how long I have to go back to see it)
We been in community for more than 4 pages now.

I'm trying to understand it myself but from what the mods told us. It seem like they want to keep relevant gaming news in the Gaming Section while other stuff can go in Community. I guess we're more of a community than contributing to relevant gaming news.

Plus they wanna revive the Community section..

zkylon

zkylewd

just really offtopicky and all emcompassing threads like this one

so yea prolly all fun threads at least

Alright, I'll read more into it at the wiki.
it's weird

i don't really get people from other countries that like it, it's such a regional thing

I think it's staying for the time being, and I don't think the mods made it clear that it was moving, a lot of people have been trickling in and saying they didn't even know it was moved. Unless I'm missing some post saying so, I think the mods could have done a better job letting everyone know what was up.

zkylon

zkylewd
you know what i really appreciate

valkyria chronicles being 16 gigs, not 50

that's how big games should be

at most

Kyougar

We been in community for more than 4 pages now.

I'm trying to understand it myself but from what the mods told us. It seem like they want to keep relevant gaming news in the Gaming Section while other stuff can go in Community. I guess we're more of a community than contributing to relevant gaming news.

Plus they wanna revive the Community section..

So what about the idea of a Steam News Thread that was floating since the summer sale? Personally, I myself, couldnt keep up with this thread on a daily basis :( but i like the concept of it.

But with it now in community, it will be more smalltalk then ever or not?

I think it's staying for the time being, and I don't think the mods made it clear that it was moving, a lot of people have been trickling in and saying they didn't even know it was moved. Unless I'm missing some post saying so, I think the mods could have done a better job letting everyone know what was up.

I only saw it because i have the tab open the whole time and just jump to the last page every now and then.

Miguel81

at most

A lot of these big games have noticeable audio improvements. I'm guessing many would rather have more compressed sound and smaller sizes? Alien's audio blew me away -- typical Blu ray quality here.

at most

Yeah I feel a lot of developers could put a little more work into compressing or doing something to make file sizes smaller, like letting us pick which audio we want or things like that. Even in the day of 1TB+ HDD's and gigabit internet, 50GB is crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom