• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2014 - Ride of the Valkyries

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's like Transistor is doing a too good job of encouraging me to experiment. I'm 4 hours in, and still not set on most abilities and their combinations, haha.
From what I've heard, you're already at the end of the game. I still need to play it, but my brother was really disappointed with how short it was

iosefe

so remember how that CVS ran out of $20 card before halloween? they don't restock until next friday, so i was sad i couldn't get my 5 dollar Lego game

but then i remembered they always go on sale and will likely hit $5 again in about 2 weeks.

the struggle

Omega

Banned
popcorn.gif

haha wow at no one claiming VC. im too broke to give anything away right now and I'm not gonna giveaway a free copy of a game just so i can qualify for these giveaways

Reviews are down/gone again.

So they are. (Edit: The store seems slow. I wonder if it's a server load issue or something...)

More than anything, I miss the review aggregate "rating" that Steam gave. It was a very useful way to filter through controversial games, warranted or not. At the very least, it saved some time.

From what I've heard, you're already at the end of the game. I still need to play it, but my brother was really disappointed with how short it was

Took me about 8, and I didn't even enjoy Transistor that much. I can't imagine it being that much shorter unless you're purposely speed running through the game.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
It's like Transistor is doing a too good job of encouraging me to experiment. I'm 4 hours in, and still not set on most abilities and their combinations, haha.

I loved that about the game, it is a shame that the only real option you have is to replay the game over again with higher end mobs to take real advantage of the combos you discover. I never really felt much depth with Bastion's combat, but Transistor was just fun to experiment with and develop different styles.

popcorn.gif

haha wow at no one claiming VC. im too broke to give anything away right now and I'm not gonna giveaway a free copy of a game just so i can qualify for these giveaways

I don't think it is so much that no one has claimed it, each giveaway has had over 100 entries so far (myself included in all of them). I think Modbot is just broken, Stump too busy living the Good American Life to waste time looking in the Community graveyard.

So they are.

More than anything, I miss the review aggregate "rating" that Steam gave. It was a very useful way to filter through controversial games, warranted or not. At the very least, it saved some time.

It was useful, but then it started to look as if it just looked at positive v negative review tally, and ignored how useful the rest of the Steam Community found each of those reviews. So you could get games with (for example) 10 positive reviews and 6 negative reviews. Positive reviews were rated as 40% helpful while negative reviews were rated as 90% helpful.

To me that would suggest that the game wasn't received very well at all, but steam would show as mainly positive, simply because there had been more positive reviews. If that makes sense. It doesn't seem to weigh the useful value of the reviews, just how many positive or negative reviews had been submitted.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Metro 2033 -- MB-53D2F4B8DE4ADEDD

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Krusenstern, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Krusenstern, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Valkyria Chronicles -- MB-A8585F0AA8272ED3

t1415476339z1.png

ModBot 2

Not a Mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Tizoc, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Tizoc, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Valkyria Chronicles #2 -- MB-49B17D9DFA2226E5 - Taken by dirtywhirlwind. 113 entrants total.
Valkyria Chronicles #1 -- MB-AFDF544DCE574453 - Taken by hohoXD123. 109 entrants total.

t1415479999z1.png

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Modbot is a spammer.
It was useful, but then it started to look as if it just looked at positive v negative review tally, and ignored how useful the rest of the Steam Community found each of those reviews. So you could get games with (for example) 10 positive reviews and 6 negative reviews. Positive reviews were rated as 40% helpful while negative reviews were rated as 90% helpful.

To me that would suggest that the game wasn't received very well at all, but steam would show as mainly positive, simply because there had been more positive reviews. If that makes sense. It doesn't seem to weigh the useful value of the reviews, just how many positive or negative reviews had been submitted.

The individual reviews are useless. The earliest or "funniest" reviews are often among the top-rated or most helpful, and as such most visible of reviews made. Longer reviews are too big to really bother reading, especially when there's several. The review system as it's currently implemented is only good for a slight sense of what the game is truly like.

The root of the problem is that no one has time to look through thousands of reviews, so the newer ones are always buried.

The review aggregate makes me wonder how many devs tried to astroturf their way into a positive rating...

NinjaEdit: Oh and the individual review ratings might as well be "is a fan of this game looking at this review: YES/NO"

Bah, those new bone bastards in Isaac: Rebirth are pissing me off badly, thank god it's out in time for when I'll be on a couple of 5 hour train rides.

Parsnip

I'd recommend ignoring LotF for the time being, unless you're hurting for a "Souls-like", as a "Season Pass Edition" popped up in the registry months ago. Contrary to what the devs said, DLC is a thing, has been planned, and there'll be a relatively significant amount of it.

I'm going to ignore LotF until they patch in a way to selectively disable CA.

Also the DaS Steamworks patch is supposed to happen this month (last change 21 hours ago) as well, so I think I'm going to play that instead.

Knurek

I know you people are bitter over the Community move, but why nobody has yet mentioned that Battlefield 4 has a 7 day free playtime on Origin?
Which includes the SP campaign, which can be wrapped up in 1-2 days (and is all I'm interested in the game?).

Deitus

I know you people are bitter over the Community move, but why nobody has yet mentioned that Battlefield 4 has a 7 day free playtime on Origin?
Which includes the SP campaign, which can be wrapped up in 1-2 days (and is all I'm interested in the game?).

Because:
a) Origin
and
b) Battlefield SP campaigns are terrible.

Jawmuncher

asked earlier. Exactly what I'm
Doing after ghosts x

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

Dr. Dogg's got us covered:

Right seeing as it's lunch time and I'm not down the pub I thought I'd send Ubi a couple of support emails so let's see what they say.

Also Battlefield 4 is available to try for free on Origin for 7 days.

Yeah I'm full of Steam news today.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Why would we?

I mean, I know the thread goes off topic, but I don't come in here asking where the yerba mate discussion is at.

Dr Dogg

Wonder when i can start to pre-load new assassins creed

I seem to recall that a Ubisoft duder mention in the Steam Hub that Preloads go up on 10th ie Monday which judging by past Ubi titles is about right for then regardless that it's 50gb, urgh. But then The Great Vanishing happened and the thread got deleted. There is some mention of it but not the day or time.

Because:
a) Origin
and
b) Battlefield SP campaigns are terrible.

Heresy! BF3 and BF4 may have sterile campaigns but Bad Company 1 & 2 at least have a likable cast with some decent set pieces. Plus BC1 had a massive open map to fuck about in and destruction galore. I don't even count that tutorial the console versions of BF2 dubbed Modern Combat got as anything but tutorials

I'd really like another Bad Company game, a shame we'll probably be waiting a long time given the comments made about it from EA/Dice.

Quick question for you worthies: Is the Lego Marvel DLC worth picking up while it's on sale?

Sure why not. It's like 50p when on sale.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Valve's finally updated the gift redemption CSS to something more visually palatable! ;)

Then:
cod5ksp1.jpg

Now:
newcss32unn.jpg

Deitus

Heresy! BF3 and BF4 may have sterile campaigns but Bad Company 1 & 2 at least have a likable cast with some decent set pieces. Plus BC1 had a massive open map to fuck about in and destruction galore. I don't even count that tutorial the console versions of BF2 dubbed Modern Combat got as anything but tutorials

Fair enough. I wasn't thinking about Bad Company when I said that. I mostly meant BF3 and 4, aka the CoD wannabe campaigns.

Dr Dogg

I'd really like another Bad Company game, a shame we'll probably be waiting a long time given the comments made about it from EA/Dice.

I think DICE are aware there's a strong fan base out there for another Bad Company but judging from this interview they gave to Eurogamer them seem clueless how to bloody make something that wouldn't be a let down. Or they could just listen to fan feedback

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ple-really-like-about-battlefield-bad-company

Fair enough. I wasn't thinking about Bad Company when I said that. I mostly meant BF3 and 4, aka the CoD wannabe campaigns.

3 was really pushing hard on the serious button but there were some nice touches, like the tank gunner playing with a toy dinosaur his kid gave him for good luck (turns out it wasn't that lucky) calling out to a world beyond aggression, war mongering and interventionism (is that even a word?). 4 on the other hand is 'Come on Recker', 'This way Recker', 'Shoot that guy Recker' the whole fucking game!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom