• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2014 - Ride of the Valkyries

Status
Not open for further replies.

akira28

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (akira28, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Risk of Rain -- MB-EB688470A40F15FF - Taken by Seanspeed. 1 entrants total.

t1415518570z1.png

huzzah

Miguel81

I've never been into strategy games. Civ V will be my first in a long time, and I also got XCOM from GMG. One thing they do have that appeals to me is the aesthetic quality. So much beauty in this genre of games.

WavekSra

Got some spares yo

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (WavekSra, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

The Novelist -- MB-6C5AF79DEB628F04 - Taken by The Dear Leader
Eldritch -- MB-25D1909A6B4B9C16 - Taken by RyanPierre
Tales From Space: Mutant Blobs Attack -- MB-A448DBE5F7871C24 - Taken by Speevy

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Huh, just realized I never posted in either October thread... working too much can be a bitch.
Also it being on community threw me for a loop.

It's been so long since I've seen an X05 quote wall, I miss them :/

If you think the Civ5 demo is confusing, never download the Crusader Kings II demo.
Just saying ;)

Yep. I watched what was supposed to be a good series of tutorial videos, and I still have no idea what I'm doing in that game. Civ V is way easier and streamlined.

Burn your enemies in the fire of war

v3Mth_J4rmk1EERJm8raswpcN6g68fLDhlx2dtF596kSanflGCEfUn-24fKT_a4yLFLm1zFAz1nRvhfxhxys-bNL1QGlZTeIXq8mXhbIEIgI_kyoN_5XswHky8CqUBOqCvPmttM-iRf-xV2anPx_fBLEW3g=w423-h619-nc

Also related to the best joke guide on Steam.

baterism

All this talk about Civ V make me want to start another game. And I just finished a game with Babylon. Autocracy is amazing, I completely swallow Austria, and my happiness still above 100. Militarism is crazy, +2 happiness for barracks, armory, and mil academy.

Zafir

Speaking of which, a newbie tip for Civ V: Never trust Gandhi, ever.

Reading the UI tooltips, checking the in-game encyclopedia when you need to, and just listening to your advisers really goes a long way while playing. Also don't be afraid to play on the lower difficulties and work your way up while you're learning.

CIv V is one of the easier 4x games to get into.

Civ 5 without the major dlcs is a pretty unbalanced game. For example, I had one game where I'm still in the ancient times when one of the AI's advanced to the Industrial era thanks to the ancient ruins near him. And this was on a pretty difficult mode. So I got curbstomped by that said civ by the time I entered the medieval era.

Civ5 is a fun game, but please remove gandhi if you're playing seriously. He has become a running joke character in the series. RTS games like Red Alert might be easier to get into than the Civ games though.

baterism

Gandhi is fine, but you just need to make sure he got someone to be preoccupied with. And ally every city states which have uranium. Seriously, of almost 500hrs playtime I might never get nuked by Gandhi. Only the Netherland, France, and Iroquois ever nuked me (in retaliation).

Shadownet

Banned
Gandhi is fine, but you just need to make sure he got someone to be preoccupied with. And ally every city states which have uranium. Seriously, of almost 500hrs playtime I might never get nuked by Gandhi. Only the Netherland, France, and Iroquois ever nuked me (in retaliation).
I think you don't understand the joke.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
If you think the Civ5 demo is confusing, never download the Crusader Kings II demo.
Just saying ;)

Civ V isn't that hard to grasp if you listen to your advisers. I still have no idea how to play Crusader Kings but I'm tempted to learn for the Game of Thrones mod.

Hah, I wouldn't even bother with the in-game tutorial. It isn't very good. You'll probably want to blow through this play-along Let's Play, which will probably take you a long damn time to get through. It isn't even fully accurate anymore since a lot of game changes have been made since it was made, but it will get you assasinated in style!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Just as well I thought to check the upcoming releases list again as Randal's Monday's pre-purchase offer was recently updated:

Also, our preorder edition has extra content: a digital calendar, a preview of our art-book and an exclusive interview with Jeff Anderson and Jason Mewes.

A free copy of The Breakout is of no value to me, but now I'm interested.

Yakkue

How long is Child of Light really? HLTB has it at 27 hours max, for everything. Is this true? How much side content is there?

I haven't finished it yet, so I can't give you an exact answer.
I'm currently in chapter 6 and about 4 hours in. As for side content, there are a couple of side quests, you can find new characters, craft Oculi, find Stardust and collect papers with confessions on them, that are floating around.
I haven't done all of the sidequests I've encountered so far (you can warp back to places you've already been to, so I'm doing them later), but I can't imagine the game taking 27 hours, unless the last 4 chapters are incredibly long.

---
I just wanted to continue playing, but Uplay was first stuck on "Looking for updates" and now it won't let me log in because "There seems to be a problem with your internet connection". Great. Does anyone know how to solve this problem?
Edit: Might be a problem on ubisoft's end, as http://uplay.ubi.com/ is down. Guess I'll just wait and see.
Edit2: Yes, that was the problem, now it works.

Anteater

i always have to check my post history on a sunday morning and also hope i'm not banned, those drinking nights.

I didn't fall asleep playing ff13 this time because i didn't actually play it, or did i?

I also beat the first boss in transistor just now.

Seems like I'm still not done with call of juarez gunslinger, but I'm probably near the end, it's very pretty and fun to play but I think I posted about that already, I played red dead on the ps3 back then and thought the sub HD stunk and I got bored once I got to mexico, maybe if they did a HD port I'll play it again, bet that game would look ridiculous at higher res, here are some coj pics

Anteater

How long is Child of Light really? HLTB has it at 27 hours max, for everything. Is this true? How much side content is there?

It's not a long game, should probably be around 10-15hrs average, don't remember if there were a lot of side content, there were a few where npcs ask you to go somewhere for them, but I didn't really do them.

Xanathus

The last one has an after credits scene and an awesome song playing during the credits if i remember correctly.

I assume you're talking about the last episode of season 2 because that's what I'm playing. I'll stay for that anyway since the last episode is probably the only one that has after credit scenes.

Messiah

I assume you're talking about the last episode of season 2 because that's what I'm playing. I'll stay for that anyway since the last episode is probably the only one that has after credit scenes.

Applies to both seasons I think. Yeah only the last episode.

Anteater

So Khronico told me about GoonHUD for Payday 2 earlier today and I installed it on a whim.
This part that makes it so dead bodies don't just disappear... well... paging Viscera Cleanup PAYDAY 2 edition:

http://robotbrush.com/corrosivefrost/Payday 2 11.09.2014 - 01.30.00.01.mp4.converted.webm

Accelerate, you wanker!

Is there a noticeable difference in performance with more dead bodies on screen? I always wonder how much resources something like that would take.

Is there a noticeable difference in performance with more dead bodies on screen? I always wonder how much resources something like that would take.

I put the limit at 512 bodies before it deletes any and I didn't notice any performance difference whatsoever. Default was 1024, but I figured I didn't need quite that many.
I also made it so it almost instantly wipes out shield corpses from the maps so that i don't have to deal with the potential fuckery from too many shields downed in one place over time.

Khronico can comment on his experience too if he pops in here and sees this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom