• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2014 - Ride of the Valkyries

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I just caved and bought a 970. Seemed the most extreme way I could get my hands on Assassins Creed, but hey, least I can go back to setting everything on max and running it without worrying again.

Edit: Also, its funny, I feel like we're creeping closer back to the UT/Quake era of shooters. Both Titanfall and CoD:AW feel closer to those two than anything in a long while other than Halo, which makes it all the weirder its going in the opposite direction.

I'm on the brink of doing like you.
But then I remember that the code is uPlay only and I'd have to bother with selling it and I'd get a net of like $20 off the card for my troubles and I think "not fucking worth it."

what bundle(s) was Pitiri on? Looks cool

That one fusion bundle.

Ozium

6CGICK6.png

Tellaerin

But it is a rule, it says so right on the first page. People just blatantly and willingly ignore it

You're hardly innocent of that yourself, you know. Not that I'm faulting you for it, but it feels like you're throwing stones from the luxury of your glass house when you make remarks like that.

what i mean is that if mods want to enforce it they should enforce it, i don't see much use to having separate threads. maybe i'm wrong but i imagine splitting the thread spawning two weak communities rather than two strong ones

You're not wrong. Sadly, I don't think some people will be able to acknowledge that until after the fact if a split like that happens, and by then it'll be too late. But I suppose it'll give the ones who've been pushing for these threads to be a dry, lifeless RSS feed/news aggregator something to cheer about.

kudoboi

alan wake is something original, arkham city is just more asylum, so i vote for alan wake

I could not bring myself to play arkham asylum for more than 20 minutes after completing arkham city and origins. The gameplay just felt so dull and the combat animations were pretty bad. The asylum as a whole was pretty boring to explore too

MRORANGE

If we do decide to break up the Steam thread I would love to have this format for future threads:

STEAM | Classic Thread
STEAM | Okay guys lets stay in topic this time maybe? Thread
STEAM | Anything Goes Thread

zkylon

zkylewd
You're not wrong. Sadly, I don't think some people will be able to acknowledge that until after the fact if a split like that happens, and by then it'll be too late. But I suppose it'll give the ones who've been pushing for these threads to be a dry, lifeless RSS feed/news aggregator something to cheer about.
yeah, i like it this way, i feel like i have friends here and like i have fun and learn and share and that's great. it's not like other threads or other things i do in the internet. i think it's becoming the "talks about the state of the thread" are becoming more problematic than the thread itself, lately, tbh

I could not bring myself to play arkham asylum for more than 20 minutes after completing arkham city and origins. The gameplay just felt so dull and the combat animations were pretty bad. The asylum as a whole was pretty boring to explore too

yeah i mean my thing was phrased terribly but basically it's still batman and the whole punching people and doing stealth things

at least there's none other alan wake so it's something entirely new

WHY IS VC UPDATING?

EDIT: Idk what it did but it's still locked.
the 11th's so far away :/

If we do decide to break up the Steam thread I would love to have this format for future threads:

STEAM | Classic Thread
i'd add a fourth one

STEAM | Milamber

Sajjaja

STEAM | Classic Thread

I think everyone should just suck it up and accept that it's a community thread so we can all return to the circle jerking.

Tellaerin

STEAM | Classic Thread

Splitting up the thread into two would seriously weaken both of them. I don't see how splitting it into three would be an improvement.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
My kind of game, too bad the strategy part was stupid hard.

What?

STEAM | Classic Thread

This is a bad idea that will not lead to any appreciable benefits. Changing the Steam thread to officially cover all DD platforms, which is already does unofficially, is fine; but anything else is counter productive.

So for some reason I decided to play some games that were sitting on my library.

header.jpg

Yesterday I played //N.P.P.D. RUSH//- The milk of Ultraviolet, I had no idea regarding what the game was about so I blindly jumped in. You control an experimental cop cyborg bike unit and has to rescue the junkies in the city before the times runs out and while at it shoot and kill the enemies, it's a simple premise but I didn't like it at all because I couldn't actually understand what is going on the screen mostly of the time.

header.jpg

Woodle Tree Adventure I believe the vast majority here must own this game. I remember when Woodle Tree Adventure was on greenlight, I voted yest for it because we don't have too many 3D platformer games on PC and from the images and the video it seemed like a cool game, a cute protagonist and colorful world, though both these "features" can't save the game from it's main problem the camera, it feels like the 3D 90's games with bad automatic cameras. Another negative point is the movement, running should be the default speed and when you attack an enemy you don't feel it was hit, you only can be sure you did hit them because they vanish. I really wanted to like this game but I don't recommend it.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
There were multiple factions on the map at first, but after some turns there's only me and an AI left, and it overwhelmed me, had to restart the entire game.

I don't know if Larian re-balanced the game after, but the impression from everyone, me included, during launch was the game was way too easy because you end up out producing everyone. Or are you talking about the different acts?

Which genius at EA is responsible for the Battlelog system instead of a dedicated client? Because I really enjoy having to use Internet Explorer instead of Chrome to launch a single player game.

I don't know if Larian re-balanced the game after, but the impression from everyone, me included, during launch was the game was way too easy because you end up out producing everyone.
If every other AI didn't one-sidedly lose to one AI in the early game, it might have been much easier. Maybe I just have bad luck.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
You're hardly innocent of that yourself, you know. Not that I'm faulting you for it, but it feels like you're throwing stones from the luxury of your glass house when you make remarks like that.

im sorry when did I say I havent done it? I said people, not "other people"... am I not people? I know fully well what ive done or do

but I at least have the decency to think about what im saying most times, and maybe go "you know what, this is completely off topic so maybe lets not post that", which I think many people dont bother doing, especially with the, as I like to call them, "personal blog posts"

Yes, tell us what you had for breakfast, or about the girl you met, or whatever other bullshit happened to you today, thats relevant to the thread

Volimar

I wish VC would unlock already...

im sorry when did I say I havent done it? I said people, not "other people"... am I not people? I know fully well what ive done or do

but I at least have the decency to think about what im saying most times, and maybe go "you know what, this is completely off topic so maybe lets not post that", which I think many people dont bother doing, especially with the, as I like to call them, "personal blog posts"

Yes, tell us what you had for breakfast, or about the girl you met, or whatever other bullshit happened to you today, thats relevant to the thread

I had discounted halloween candy for breakfast. Now I just have Jolly Ranchers left...

:sadface:

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
If every other AI didn't one-sidedly lose to one AI in the early game, it might have been much easier. Maybe I just have bad luck.

Yea, that doesn't typical. There are different acts in the game where you face different amounts of enemies, but there should be more than one other faction, especially in the beginning to mid game state.

Tellaerin

Would telling us about the colorful characters someone runs into on the night shift at their hotel job qualify, too?

I don't mind posts like that. I think they shed more light on the people that post here. It only becomes a problem when it gets out of hand. I can't deny that's happened on occasion, but I also don't think it's nearly the problem some people (and I'm including you in that category) have made it out to be, either. There ends up being more bitching and sniping about the off-topic posts than there are OT posts themselves.

Volimar

Would telling us about the colorful characters someone runs into on the night shift at their hotel job qualify, too?

I don't mind posts like that. I think they shed more light on the people that post here. It only becomes a problem when it gets out of hand. I can't deny that's happened on occasion, but I also don't think it's nearly the problem some people (and I'm including you in that category) have made it out to be, either. There ends up being more bitching and sniping about the off-topic posts than there are OT posts themselves.

Guys let's stop making things personal. I know games are serious business but at the end of the day it's a thread on a gaming forum about games and stuff. We talk plenty about the games, there should at least be a little room to talk about the stuff. Let's be friends!

Omega

Banned
what makes the Steam thread and the few other threads on this forum worth reading is that it they are a community. all this talk to figure out a way to get back to gaming...

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

yes, yes it does. I dont even remember the last time I did this but yes it does, Again, I did not say I wasnt guilty of this, but I do care less when noone else cares. You dont need to white knight against me on this one, I never said I havent done it

and im done on this subject, we are just shitting up the thread anyway. Do whatever you want with it, I wont comment on it anymore

Rhaknar

Some of the other videos on that channel though :|

I noticed that >_>

Heres a question, whatever happened to the "we are canning greenlight" idea that was floating around months ago? Theres still more and more GL bundles coming out, and more and more games being submitted to GL (and most look like someone made something in 5 minutes and shat it on GL)

I do.

Cool characters, shit everything else.

Ok the land shark launcher was good for a laugh, but thats it.

Well, that probably depends on when you played it. I played it when it was released on PC and loved almost everything. Replaying it now it's a bit dated, but it's still fun.

Too bad Planet Moon Studios was forced to make cheap licensed games and then murdered.

zkylon

zkylewd
i think my main issue with divinity original sin is that combat and "talky" sections are crazy segmented. like most wrpgs are very much this way but it's def what i feel weakest.

also i wish it had a better tutorial page with lots of envorinmental interaction examples for me to draw from. i feel like this is mostly on me but i don't really feel like i'm capable of planning these things. maybe if there was no turn order and you could move all your guys at once it'd be easier

like i feel like i have to build my team around turn order so i kind of fucked up by having my toxic cloud guy be really slow since he's always after fire guy

i also don't care much for the story and the writing is often funny but i'm not really feeling involved with the game's universe

not sure if i'm planning on beating it, it's gonna make my goty list for sure but it's a bit bumpy

I noticed that >_>

Heres a question, whatever happened to the "we are canning greenlight" idea that was floating around months ago? Theres still more and more GL bundles coming out, and more and more games being submitted to GL (and most look like someone made something in 5 minutes and shat it on GL)
well valve's style is pretty much staying quiet until the thing is ready (except with maybe steamos?) so i'm guessing they're still throwing around ideas and building them

tbh i can't really imagine a much better system even if this one is pretty flawed

tho they should prolly be talking to people that like doing the clickety clickys on greenlight

MRORANGE

Arguing doesn't really help us guys, bottom line for next week is to see what happens and if we get a response, if nothing happens we can discuss about splitting the thread.

The bottom line with off-topic behavior in the thread is that it's fine as long as it's not too distracting, I've listed a few things in the OP, but as you know rules get broken (heck even I've been caught out) but it's just a guideline on how to be a positive poster in the thread. This rule isn't really enforced but just reminded to gaffers from time to time when things get out of hand.I think it's perfectly fine for people to call out on behaviour as we do have to self-moderate ourselves from time to time.

As you know the Steam thread is the one most active threads on GAF, 16 threads this year so far, sending us to community is like a slow death sentence, I was reading the PSN thread and it seems like they have the same resentment with the decision. The reasons why this thread works so well in gaming as we have members who are always willing to drop in and help and the Community section has never been the greatest place for sustaining threads in the long run, another thing is the effort that goes into each thread, especially after the major April changes:

I mean what's the point if they then decided to chuck it all into community?

Rhaknar

what is this month's banner picture, it wont load for me. Valkyria I assume?

also whats that game in the may banner picture? o_O

Lain

Some spares looking for a new home:

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Lain, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

OlliOlli -- MB-8518A860C3FED0C2 - Taken by The Dear Leader
Teleglitch: Die More Edition -- MB-1D3F5DB094287BBE
Urban Trial Freestyle -- MB-B11B3F6A00BBA6C7 - Taken by PLASTICA-MAN
Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet -- MB-CE7227A59721FFE1 - Taken by Lobogris

MRORANGE

what is this month's banner picture, it wont load for me. Valkyria I assume?

also whats that game in the may banner picture? o_O

It was this game:

Never Alone (Kisima Ingitchuna)
- BinaryPork2737
Never Alone, or Kisima Ingitchuna, is a puzzle platformer based on the folklore of the Iñupiaq people. The game revolves around a
girl named Nuna and a fox, two characters that you can either switch back and forth to or play with someone else in the local co-op
mode to solve different puzzles, and their journey to put an end to a blizzard that threatens the survival of the Iñupiaq. The
environments featured in the game range from the tundra to forests, and will pose natural threats to both characters.Heavily inspired
by Iñupiaq folklore, the game has been designed to pass on their culture to future generations (thanks to working directly with Iñupiaq
elders and storytellers), featuring numerous characters from the society's folklore as well as optional vignettes unlocked during the
course of the game that you can view to learn more. Even the game's art style is influenced by culture as it's drawn from Iñupiaq art,
providing a unique aesthetic quality to the game. Basically, if you want to learn about a cool culture and like playing video games, get it.

Can't remember the May game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom