• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2014 - Ride of the Valkyries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lomax

One plus about split threads would mean we could have a Steam sale thread and still keep this thread going as well.

Xanathus

Well I just learned that you can't play the single player campaign for Advanced Warfare while downloading the multiplayer part, and I think trying to do that broke the game because it crashes when I try to start it (after deleting the multiplayer). Verifying integrity is taking a long ass time for 40 GB.

Rudakus

some people are arguing it'd be better to have two threads

basically one that's steam for reals

the other is a jokey steam thread or whatever

not the greatest of ideas i think

I think the first idea is to have one thread in gaming and not to split

Didn't I teach you how to check?
Go here and figure it out, chief:
https://steamdb.info/app/249130/
:p
Actually I checked steamdb and cam to the conclusion as well. It was just weird not seeing it "there". And my steamdb-fu is not than good.
C'mon now.
I like you.
But did you really need to say this, considering all the aspects of what you're talking about?
Sorry master frost! I will try to change to the better!

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
this is the best shit ever

I don't get the overwatch hype... I don't know what the setting is, the characters look generic in a generic Blizzard games sense...

guess you have to be a Blizzard fan?

Blizzard knows how to make great Kool aid.

Ozium

Guys let's stop making things personal. I know games are serious business but at the end of the day it's a thread on a gaming forum about games and stuff. We talk plenty about the games, there should at least be a little room to talk about the stuff. Let's be friends!

nah mate, it's a thread in a community forum..

as such the rules in the topic are the antithesis of community-related threads and the purposes of the forum in which this thread is located.

Blizzard knows how to make great Kool aid.

the other thing I don't get about the setting is there doesn't seem to be any artistic theme or cohesion in the character designs. we have a space marine dude, some goth chicks, a robot, dhalsim's cousin, a medic lady that seems like a cut character from Anarchy Reigns, the guy from Sunset Overdrive, Skeletor with dualies and a dwarf in an HEV suit...

wat?

in TF2 the art design is consistent, both in the characters and the world they inhabit, as well as the synergy between the two

edit: forgot about khal drogo w/ a bow and a gorilla.. lol wut

Miguel81

I'm kind of getting sick of the group combat in Alan Wake.

The atmosphere, setting, and some characters/voice acting are the only things that will remain in my memories. The combat has been mostly forgotten. Still want a proper sequel, though, especially after watching Twin Peaks.

yuraya

gregg-popovich-laughing-gif.gif

Overwatch will probably be a good game. But not for a while. All those fancy looking skills will make the game a glitchy and buggy lagfest. Don't know what engine they are using..but regardless the game is probably gonna need a lot of patching before its any good. Maybe a year or two after release I'll give it a try.

well, the combat in alan wake is pretty sickening

i mean it's ok once or twice but on repetition it's not too good

I'm on the last episode and I've had enough of getting ambushed by groups. Send that fucking
tornado
after me if you want me to shit my pants, that would be a welcome change.

Ozium

I'm on the last episode and I've had enough of getting ambushed by groups. Send that fucking
tornado
after me if you want me to shit my pants, that would be a welcome change.

alan wake isn't about killing all the enemies as much as it is about crowd control while going to the next objective

I'm kind of getting sick of the group combat in Alan Wake.

Well strap in, because you've seen 90% of what it has to offer.

It becomes a game within a game, seeing how much you can break its poorly-designed areas. Enemies' AI will fall apart if you can run past them to the next checkpoint (light), skipping the encounter entirely.

Dash to the light, Alan. Dash for your sanity.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Well strap in, because you've seen 90% of what it has to offer.

It becomes a game within a game, seeing how much you can break its poorly-designed areas. Enemies' AI will fall apart if you can run past them to the next checkpoint (light), skipping the encounter entirely.

Dash to the light, Alan. Dash for your sanity.

...running past them is what the devs intended, not a game breaking concept....

zkylon

zkylewd
no, they should've just made the encounters more varied and interesting

the core flashlight concept is cool and the dodging mechanic is great, it's just that it gets tiring to fight against "mob of dudes with hatchets" a million times.

the mechanics are actually really good

the core lighting concept is cool and the dodging mechanic is great, it's just that it gets tiring to fight against "mob of dudes with hatchets" a million times.

The concept is good but I don't think the game took advantage of it at all. Then again, I could say the same thing about every aspect of Alan Wake. Fortunately, American Nightmare did a much better job, so at least Remedy was trying.

Alan Wake really felt as though it should have had Deadly Premonition-esque scope (aka an open world / character schedules) to make its atmosphere and storytelling shine. Conversely, DP needed Alan Wake's combat.

Levyne

Banned
Looks like someone reviewed the VC PC port already! Short answer: It's solid but you need to force AA from drivers.
http://www.incgamers.com/2014/11/valkyria-chronicles-pc-port-impressions

Excellent news, not an exhaustive review, specification wise, but yeah, seems solid.

Reminds me, it says there's no windowed borderless option, and relevant, I've been using the "Windowed Borderless Gaming" little tool for FFXIII in conjunction with gedosato and it seems to work well. I might just use that from now on for all games that don't have it natively. I played that way with Mordor too (natively supported).

I guess it makes my gpu run a tiny bit hotter but otherwise something I hope becomes more standard.

Turfster

Alan Wake really felt as though it should have had Deadly Premonition-esque scope (aka an open world / character schedules) to make its atmosphere and storytelling shine. Conversely, DP needed Alan Wake's combat.

AW started out as an open world game.
Then Microsoft and the 360 happened.

It's good to hear that the Valkyria port isn't a disaster... I admit, I was worried.

AW started out as an open world game.
Then Microsoft and the 360 happened.

Oh right. Alan Wake was in some sort of development hell for a while, as I recall... which explains a lot.

zkylon

zkylewd
The concept is good but I don't think the game took advantage of it at all. Then again, I could say the same thing about every aspect of Alan Wake. Fortunately, American Nightmare did a much better job, so at least Remedy was trying.

it was supposed to be an open world game, that's why the game is so bizarrely large and why there are those weird ass driving sections that make absolute sense

so yea a much more focused alan wake 2 would be awesome since the core is pretty solid. the execution just came kind of choppy cos development hurdles and shit

It's not all sunshine and rainbows though.
e984613266.jpg
does that mean lack of pc button prompts?

i'll prolly be playing it on a controller so no biggie for me

still pretty lame

mannerbot

it was supposed to be an open world game, that's why the game is so bizarrely large and why there are those weird ass driving sections that make absolute sense

so yea a much more focused alan wake 2 would be awesome since the core is pretty solid. the execution just came kind of choppy cos development hurdles and shit

does that mean lack of pc button prompts?

i'll prolly be playing it on a controller so no biggie for me

still pretty lame

Isn't that just a COD joke?

Yeah.. you can totally see how the ideas, levels, and stuff in the game would fall into place much more neatly and naturally as an open world game.

Alan Wake 2 has a good chance of being superior.
Isn't that just a COD joke?

F, you! Pay your respects.

Grief.exe

Looks like someone reviewed the VC PC port already! Short answer: It's solid but you need to force more AA and AF from drivers. (AA seems to be applied by default.)
http://www.incgamers.com/2014/11/valkyria-chronicles-pc-port-impressions

Seems that the port is well optimized, he was getting a solid 60 at all times on a very modest machine.

What I am able to confirm is that everything, cut-scene movies and gameplay, stuck to a smooth 60 on my machine (i3-2100/8GB/2GB HD 7870) with the ‘refresh rate’ option selected.

the core flashlight concept is cool and the dodging mechanic is great, it's just that it gets tiring to fight against "mob of dudes with hatchets" a million times.

Still drunk, zkylon?

zkylon

zkylewd
ivJetiLp1Abe0.gif

getting so much mileage out of this one lol

Yeah.. you can totally see how the ideas, levels, and stuff in the game would fall into place much more neatly and naturally as an open world game.

Alan Wake 2 has a good chance of being superior.

yea i mean i don't think it should've necessarily gone the deadly premonition route but clearly this schizophrenic development thingie ended up hurting the game

like a max payne thing that's super linear would've been best imo

what i want different from an alan wake 2:
* no driving. this was dumb and monotonous and ehhh
* a much more charming alan wake. i want him to be my new max. i want sarcasm and wit and humor and cool character flaws
* no more damsel in distress stories!
* lots of combat variety, not just enemies but environmental stuff and like big maps with multiple routes to get lost in and all that
* no spiders

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom