• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2014 - Ride of the Valkyries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

HOLY CRAP VC HAS VSYNC SETTINGS

valkyria-chronicles-3-1024x576.png

BEST GAME EVER

EllipticalUnacceptableChameleon.gif

Levyne

Banned
What are the chances of Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds coming?

Hmm. I would probably grab that if it popped up on GoG. Fun little Aoe2 clone

Edit, I think FFXiii lowered some expectations for those settings in VC, hehe. Still better than the more similar alternative.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
What are the chances of Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds coming?

It's a distinct possibility. The game was greenlit before Microsoft's acquisition of Ensemble, so it was published by LucasArts and is therefore a Disney game.

MRORANGE

Back to the splitting of the thread topic for a second.

I think this is the underlying problem: there are currently two types of people who come to the Steam thread.

1) People looking for discussion about Steam-related topics.
2) People looking for discussion about Steam-related topics and non-Steam related discussion.

The thread as it stands now works for the second group of people and that's fine -- there should be a place for that. However, the person who wants to come in here and have discussion about new features, daily deals, or games redeemable on Steam on sale elsewhere, without having to wade through "Morning SteamGaf!" posts has no place to do that.

And there isn't really a way to make those two groups meet in the middle. One group has to dominate the other and that's not particularly fair.

The suggestion that we have two separate threads of course assumes that the first group of people is significantly large enough to make that thread viable. Maybe they aren't. But I feel like there has been enough complaining about it over the past few years and enough once-regular posters lost to possibly populate that type of thread.

It isn't so much about getting ourselves out of community as it is about having versions of the thread that work for everyone.

how do i show support for a #1

If we don't get a reply for that pm before Friday (that's a fair amount of time for mods to respond) then yes this the only viable option. I could get something running by Saturday.

Levyne

Banned
Ohhhh crap, I didn't remember that Valkyria is SEGA game which means it totally will fuck up with NVidia Optimus crap. Crap.

I remember fiddling with that when generations came out. Hopefully it's nothing more that an .ini tweak if anything has to be done...

Anteater

How does a jammer work? Not let the police drop the strips? Paralyzes them?

You could actually use it after it's been dropped, I have no idea how it works, but I saw the spikes contract instead of expanding if you jam it, and I could just drive over them....

Coreda

The thread as it stands now works for the second group of people and that's fine -- there should be a place for that. However, the person who wants to come in here and have discussion about new features, daily deals, or games redeemable on Steam on sale elsewhere, without having to wade through "Morning SteamGaf!" posts has no place to do that.

Hasn't it always been like that? At least even when in gaming it was a similar amount of off-topic discussion just as on-topic, and the thread moved so fast while there, too. I guess I'm not seeing a massive change like others, and the slower pace actually allows one to catch up.

Levyne

Banned
I kinda alwaya saw this as a "community" thread anyway and access it through my subscriptions so nothing's different for me. But I don't post nearly enough to want to comment much further. Even when I'm not posting I like to read the discussions in here, on topic or not.

I remember fiddling with that when generations came out. Hopefully it's nothing more that an .ini tweak if anything has to be done...

I could NEVER get that work with Generations. I tried every trick in the book. Binary Domain and some other Sega games have the same problem too :/

I think this is the underlying problem: there are currently two types of people who come to the Steam thread.

2) People looking for discussion about Steam-related topics and non-Steam related discussion.

And there isn't really a way to make those two groups meet in the middle. One group has to dominate the other and that's not particularly fair.

The suggestion that we have two separate threads of course assumes that the first group of people is significantly large enough to make that thread viable. Maybe they aren't. But I feel like there has been enough complaining about it over the past few years and enough once-regular posters lost to possibly populate that type of thread.

It isn't so much about getting ourselves out of community as it is about having versions of the thread that work for everyone.

The problem is that group number two eats away most of group number 1. No matter how big this forum is, most (source: my ass) people interested in Steam related things are invested in Steam enough to participate in meta discussion too. And those who participate in meta discussion really don't have a need to cross post everything to the non-meta topic.

New Steam-related news should have their own topics, and Steam should have a general topic. Wait, that was how it was before and it worked really well. There's really no need for a topic that fits only group 1.

Tellaerin

When there's breaking Steam-related news, it's discussed in these threads. The same holds true for game-related discussion. If a major piece of Steam-related news drops, be it a pricing error, a particularly good sale, a feature update, or what have you, it's impossible to miss, because everyone will be talking about it. Sometimes, most often when news is slow, people discuss other topics in the thread as well. I don't see this as a bad thing.

If we were to strictly limit discussion to "new features, daily deals, or games redeemable on Steam on sale elsewhere", there wouldn't be much discussion in these threads. How much is there to say about any of those topics, particularly during those times when there hasn't been a feature update? What's really discussion-worthy about the weekly deals?

I think that's the crux of the matter. Some people want a discussion thread, where people actually discuss things - like the games they're playing right now, their gaming preferences in general, and occasionally non-gaming things that help define these posters as people. Other people want a news thread. They want a place where they can find out what the Daily Deals are without looking at the front page of Steam, or a rundown of which bundles are live right now without looking at one of the aggregator sites that tracks deals. Their interest in discussion seems limited to, "is Game X worth Y dollars/lira/yen/whatever?" Everything else is extraneous noise to them.

I can't really imagine threads like that being bright, vibrant places that generate a lot of interest from the average poster. If we're going to split things like that, perhaps it would be better to put the informal Steam thread in gaming, and keep the news-only one here. That way the traffic for each thread would be appropriate for its place in the forum.

I kinda alwaya saw this as a "community" thread anyway and access it through my subscriptions so nothing's different for me. But I don't post nearly enough to want to comment much further. Even when I'm not posting I like to read the discussions in here, on topic or not.
Back before I started posting frequently and then now as I'm back to that, I'd do the same thing. Honestly all the service threads or like the weekly FGC thread even, are like this. It isn't something unique to the Steam thread. (the off-topic:eek:n-topic ratio, that is)

I would be interested in a general steam news thread, but I don't know how active that would really be since that sounds like something you look at, rather than participate in.

I agree with all this. Not that I haven't necessarily been part of the problem in the past, but things were somewhat different back then.

I think if you had a "steam community" thread with giveaways/modbot/russian keys and a "steam game discussion" thread without giveaways...you would resolve a lot of the problem.

If a major piece of Steam-related news drops, be it a pricing error, a particularly good sale, a feature update, or what have you, it's impossible to miss, because everyone will be talking about it.

I don't think this is necessarily true. In the "old days" I'd wake up and read up on the last 5 or so pages I'd missed and basically read every steam post and know what is going on. If I attempt the same thing now I'd have to read something like 20-30 pages. Similarly if you want to drop some thoughts about a game, it is gone before anybody even sees it.

Since I can't have a full time job checking the steam thread, I basically pop in, read the last few posts, make a snide remark about Assassin's Creed and I'm on my way again.

Which isn't to say there is anything wrong with the thread, I just would prefer something a lot slower. So in a sense you are correct, it isn't much different, but the volume makes it unworkable and community is only going to make it worse.

Shadownet

Banned
I don't think this is necessarily true. In the "old days" I'd wake up and read up on the last 5 or so pages I'd missed and basically read every steam post and know what is going on. If I attempt the same thing now I'd have to read something like 20-30 pages. Similarly if you want to drop some thoughts about a game, it is gone before anybody even sees it.

Since I can't have a full time job checking the steam thread, I basically pop in, read the last few posts, make a snide remark about Assassin's Creed and I'm on my way again.

Which isn't to say there is anything wrong with the thread, I just would prefer something a lot slower. So in a sense you are correct, it isn't much different, but the volume makes it unworkable and community is only going to make it worse.

We slowed down quite a bit since we got moved to community... We're nowhere close to 20-30 pages. We gained 7 pages from yesterday to today.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Why haven't I played this game yet...

Speaking of, it's one of the few Steamworks-supporting games that are DRM-free. If you're an indie dev and you sell a DRM-free version of your game, there's no compelling argument to be made for your game being tethered to the client. The approach that Larian adopted with Dragon Commander is the best of both worlds: those who want Steamworks features get them but not at the cost of the game being DRM-free.

Copons

We slowed down quite a bit since we got moved to community... We're nowhere close to 20-30 pages. We gained 7 pages from yesterday to today.

Yup.
I noticed it too since we moved here, and it's (for me, of course) now easily manageable. Sometimes, even too easily, considering how I changed my reading habits (from "reading posts" to "scrolling furiously") and now I find myself refreshing for a new post too soon. :D

Anyway, for what it's worth, I'm against split for several reasons.

First and foremost, everytime something is radically changed in the internet, users tend to drop like flies.

Then, it would kinda escape me the distinction between the two threads. The "serious" one will talk about news and games while the other will talk about... off topic stuff?
Like, if I want to say my opinions regarding how HL3 is being confirmed, I'll have to do it in the serious thread, while if I want to talk about waifus and saoirses I'll go to the off topic one.
So... what is even the point of having an off topic Steam thread instead of simply using the Off Topic section of this forum? Just to keep more or less the same users?
But those users WON'T be the same. Part of them will stay in only one of the two threads, others will just stop posting because having to "split your mood" is basically not possible, etc.
At this point, it would almost kinda be smarter to open our own SteamGAF forum, as we'll lose plenty of users in any case.

This said, what would be the purpose of a split?
We'll lose users, we'll lose convenience, we'll lose our own "community personality", and I'm pretty sure we'll lose other stuff I forgot to say.

Honestly, being moved to community seemed to be a fair and easy way to improve our most prominent issue (the thread pacing), with the only downside that Stumpokapow can't find us anymore, so - don't take it personal - I really don't see why someone is making such a big fuss over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom