• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2014 - Ride of the Valkyries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I haven't been playing a lot in the past few days, so I bought Valkyria Chronicles without knowing when I'd sit down to play it. Now I'm kind of hyped though, I'll certainly start it this week. One of those PS3 games I never got to play (since I never bought one).

I was under the impression that new/breaking/important news warranted new threads.

This thread has always seemed more day-to-day Steam related goings on and the community (previously a dirty word).

You can get all the DLC for one of those weird train simulators for two dollars because of a pricing error on the Welsh Steam store? Thread worthy. There has been a two cent rise in seasonal Sexy Beach TF2 hats on the marketplace? Not so much.
this
This guy must have had a really bad fallout with Valve. He's been down on the while thing since summer.
does not deserve a thread

its interesting and steam related though

which is much more than i can say about dulce de leche

Nzyme32

Seeing all the arguments for and against the continued SteamGAF as it is or a breakup or hybridisation etc, I am at a loss for what a meaningful solution could be. Every wants what they want, and they have good reasons on all sides.

To me it now seems that the only real way to get things working is to somehow just move the Steam thread back to gaming and be done.

Tellaerin

"we've done a good job refocusing"

*half of the page is about desert and jasecs imaginary blog*

yeah okay

look all i want is a readable thread

i have a job i cant sit in here and read everything that gets spammed about peoples lives

when this moved slower i knew more about steam and what was on it, and thats something i enjoyed

i dont get that anymore because it moves so quickly there is what 2 threads a month? thats so absurd

95 percent of it is offtopic circle jerk crap im glad you guys enjoy it but not everyone cares what you had for dinner

http://store.steampowered.com/news/?feed=steam_client

http://store.steampowered.com/news/?feed=steam_release

http://www.epicbundle.com

Now you no longer need the Steam thread. Congratulations.

Dr Dogg

Stop recommending the bloody newsfeed! It's not the same as the abundance of news posted in here. Just go read it and see how it compares to what's posted in the Steam thread now. Most of it for a good reason. Where did we all hear Valkyria Chronicles was releasing? How did we all find out the Dark Souls patch was in the works? Think about it folks, please.

Seeing all the arguments for and against the continued SteamGAF as it is or a breakup or hybridisation etc, I am at a loss for what a meaningful solution could be. Every wants what they want, and they have good reasons on all sides.

To me it now seems that the only real way to get things working is to somehow just move the Steam thread back to gaming and be done.

I don't know dude I don't think anyone will be happy regardless what happens.

Stay in Community? People will complain. Split up Information from Community discussion? People will complain. Abolish the Community side of the thread? People will complain. Abolish the Information side of the thread? People will complain. Move the thread back to Gaming? People will complain (mostly outsiders).

Fucked either way.

You can get all the DLC for one of those weird train simulators for two dollars because of a pricing error on the Welsh Steam store? Thread worthy.

I wouldn't consider that thread-worthy. Price errors come and go so fast that by the time you make a topic, the deal's already dead. Look at the Borderlands glitch this morning. Lasted a good... 20 minutes or so before GAME finally caught on and fixed it.

I'm willing to bet that the Steam thread has done a stellar job of keeping spammy posts like momentary deals off the front page. It's a catch-all resource and landing page for people who want to know anything and everything related to by-the-moment Steam/PC gaming.

I don't see the need to fragment the poster base of this topic any further.

Tellaerin

Stop recommending the bloody newsfeed! It's not the same as the abundance of news posted in here. Just go read it and see how it compares to what's posted in the Steam thread now. Most of it for a good reason. Where did we all hear Valkyria Chronicles was releasing? How did we all find out the Dark Souls patch was in the works? Think about it folks, please.

He wants a newsfeed. He's bitching that this thread isn't a newsfeed. That's what a newsfeed looks like. Is that what we should be aspiring to?

derExperte

After completing a few runs of Isaac Rebirth on Vita I was like 'time to kill mom at least once on PC and uninstall the old version'. But fuck me, still can't do it, much harder.

Zeknurn

Back to the splitting of the thread topic for a second.

I think this is the underlying problem: there are currently two types of people who come to the Steam thread.

1) People looking for discussion about Steam-related topics.
2) People looking for discussion about Steam-related topics and non-Steam related discussion.

The thread as it stands now works for the second group of people and that's fine -- there should be a place for that. However, the person who wants to come in here and have discussion about new features, daily deals, or games redeemable on Steam on sale elsewhere, without having to wade through "Morning SteamGaf!" posts has no place to do that.

And there isn't really a way to make those two groups meet in the middle. One group has to dominate the other and that's not particularly fair.

The suggestion that we have two separate threads of course assumes that the first group of people is significantly large enough to make that thread viable. Maybe they aren't. But I feel like there has been enough complaining about it over the past few years and enough once-regular posters lost to possibly populate that type of thread.

It isn't so much about getting ourselves out of community as it is about having versions of the thread that work for everyone.

"we've done a good job refocusing"

*half of the page is about desert and jasecs imaginary blog*

yeah okay

i have a job i cant sit in here and read everything that gets spammed about peoples lives

when this moved slower i knew more about steam and what was on it, and thats something i enjoyed

i dont get that anymore because it moves so quickly there is what 2 threads a month? thats so absurd

95 percent of it is offtopic circle jerk crap im glad you guys enjoy it but not everyone cares what you had for dinner

These two posts are spot on.

I've been following the Steam threads since its first instalment because it was one of the best places on the Internet to get good and fast information about anything related to Steam. However in the last year or so, the thread has become more and more like a chat room, where the community formed out of this thread posts whatever is on their mind.
There's nothing wrong with this other than the fact that some of us come here for discussion about what the thread is supposed to be about and not whatever is on someone's mind. It certainly isn't helpful for people not part of the community clicking on the thread for the first time and it's probably why this community thread was moved to the community subforum.

So what I would like to see is a new "Steam News & Announcements" thread is formed and it is heavily moderated from the start. Let this thread continue as a PC Gaming Community thread for a more casual discussion.

Why not leverage Neogaf's ability to have multiple threads instead of having a mega thread of catch all? Being able to follow multiple threads each about a specified topic is what forums are about.

GHG

Guys, I seem to be having a problem with steam big picture.

When I chose to shut down the computer from big picture mode my computer will fail to start up the next time I turn it on and windows will prompt me to run startup repair.

Now I've learnt that even if it does this and I chose the option to start windows normally then it will start up fine at the second time of asking but this issue is still bugging me as it is quite unsettling to see your OS fail to start up. I'm on windows 7 BTW.

Is this a common/known issue or is it just me? Is there a solution at all?

I think the thread is great. It occasionally dabbled in the OT which is fine because fuck it, we as a world need to have a conversation about dulce de leche every once in a while. And while most have complained about the lack of attention this thread is getting these days, after the nuttiness that was the evolved price glitch it's nice to see the thread settle down to a more normalish pace. Now, I can start boring people again with my mini reviews of mid tier games from 5 years ago and no one can stop me.

dex3108

When I chose to shut down the computer from big picture mode my computer will fail to start up the next time I turn it on and windows will prompt me to run startup repair.

Now I've learnt that even if it does this and I chose the option to start windows normally then it will start up fine at the second time of asking but this issue is still bugging me as it is quite unsettling to see your OS fail to start up. I'm on windows 7 BTW.

Interesting. I never had issue with that, but again i used BPM to turn off my PC only 2-3 times.

Ban Puncher

These two posts are spot on.

I've been following the Steam threads since its first instalment because it was one of the best places on the Internet to get good and fast information about anything related to Steam. However in the last year or so, the thread has become more and more like a chat room, where the community formed out of this thread posts whatever is on their mind.
There's nothing wrong with this other than the fact that some of us come here for discussion about what the thread is supposed to be about and not whatever is on someone's mind. It certainly isn't helpful for people not part of the community clicking on the thread for the first time and it's probably why this community thread was moved to the community subforum.

So what I would like to see is a new "Steam News & Announcements" thread is formed and it is heavily moderated from the start. Let this thread continue as a PC Gaming Community thread for a more casual discussion.

Why not leverage Neogaf's ability to have multiple threads instead of having a mega thread of catch all? Being able to follow multiple threads each about a specified topic is what forums are about.

What is stopping you from creating a "Steam News & Announcements" thread on the Gaming side and seeing how it fares? I lot of people have suggested such a thing in the past but no one has sacked up and actually done it.

Zeknurn

Sounds like a hibernation issue. I'd check if there's an BIOS update for your motherboard that fixes it.

Milamber

Completed The Lost Crown. Good game, but there are some creepy elements (and no, not because this is a horror point and click adventure). Open the spoiler at your own risk:
there is a character that...well, rape and kill cats :l

You knew this was coming...
e8tOhVB.jpg

Dr Dogg

He wants a newsfeed. He's bitching that this thread isn't a newsfeed. That's what a newsfeed looks like. Is that what we should be aspiring to?

We're on a discussion forum, with the main purpose to discuss topics that we share and with people we want to discus this with. Telling someone to go somewhere else because they are having problems with visibility isn't very helpful and dismissive of the issues they see with having access to the information they are after and the ability to discuss it with the like minded individuals they wish to engage with.

The way this thread encapsulates so much makes it hard for some people wishing only to discuss certain topics and when there becomes an overbearing topic more than the others, especially one that people don't want to see, it can become frustrating. I don't think anyone want's to turn this thread into just news only robot but allow something of that ilk to breath on it's own without the attachment of everything else that comes with this thread.

It seems futile trying to discuss this which is bonkers seeing we're on a discussion forum after all.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

I just ran a test myself and Windows booted up fine.

Hi guys! I was wondering why I haven't seen the steam thread pop to the first spots (where I usually get in from).

Guess I'll bookmark this then!

I can only really see one solution to saving the steam thread, somebody needs to go back in time and stop modbot from ever being created.

I think we all knew it would come to this in the end.

GHG

Interesting. I never had issue with that, but again i used BPM to turn off my PC only 2-3 times.

Yeh from googling the issue doesn't seem to be widespread. It happens to me probably 1 in 3 times i shutdown via BPM. Until I find out what the issue is I wont be doing it anymore. Not worth the stress it causes when I get the failed startup!

Sounds like a hibernation issue. I'd check if there's an BIOS update for your motherboard that fixes it.

Thanks. Will see if I can find something for this.

Does BPM not shut down the computer properly or something? I'm guessing by what you're saying that it puts the PC into hibernation rather than fully shutting it down?

Deques

I can only really see one solution to saving the steam thread, somebody needs to go back in time and stop modbot from ever being created.

I think we all knew it would come to this in the end.

We have to send a modbot back in time and kill the mother of the creator modbot?

Tellaerin

We're on a discussion forum, with the main purpose to discuss topics that we share and with people we want to discus this with. Telling someone to go somewhere else because they are having problems with visibility isn't very helpful and dismissive of the issues they see with having access to the information they are after and the ability to discuss it with the like minded individuals they wish to engage with.

And SteveWinwood telling other people that they need to stop discussing anything but what he's personally interested in "because [he has] a job" and can't be arsed to skim over posts to find what he cares about struck me as obnoxiously self-important. It sounds almost like he sees the other people here as some sort of unpaid interns whose only interest should be posting content he wants to read, so I replied in kind. Maybe my post was dismissive, but so was "95 percent of it is offtopic circle jerk crap im glad you guys enjoy it but not everyone cares what you had for dinner".

Yakkue

I played some more Abyss Odyssey (last played it in July), and was pleased to see all the changes!
There is a new Mini Boss, there are new enemies and the Warlock fight has changed as well. They also sped up the turn speed. I had no problem with the slower turn from before, but I think a lot of people were wishing for a faster turn. It works very well.
This game is just a ton of fun. I initially just wanted to take a quick look, but ended up playing for hours.

abyss5bs84.png

Sendou

So if people want to be able to find actual announcements, news and other similiar stuff easily from all the discussion then maybe we should use a general format for this type of content that would make it easier for your eyes to catch on when skimming through the thread? Similiar to how it's recommended to start a impressions post with the header image of the game in question.

Dr Dogg

And SteveWinwood telling other people that they need to stop discussing anything but what he's personally interested in "because [he has] a job" and can't be arsed to skim over posts to find what he cares about struck me as obnoxiously self-important. It sounds almost like he sees the other people here as some sort of unpaid interns whose only interest should be posting content he wants to read, so I replied in kind. Maybe my post was dismissive, but so was "95 percent of it is offtopic circle jerk crap im glad you guys enjoy it but not everyone cares what you had for dinner".

Where did he tell people to stop posting certain things? All I see is this
Most of it is his opinion on the type of discussion that goes on in here not that it should be stopped. Which is fair enough as I pointed out this thread covers a lot, you could argue way too much. A solution to his problem would be a thread where the posts he considers spam aren't allowed and the topics he does want to read and discussed are moved there. I mean he even says.
Is that obnoxious or self important? A thread not a newsfeed, one where he can discuss topics and items freely without various other topics competing for attention regardless if they are on topic or not.

Zeknurn

What is stopping you from creating a "Steam News & Announcements" thread on the Gaming side and seeing how it fares? I lot of people have suggested such a thing in the past but no one has sacked up and actually done it.

Someone interested in creating the thread would need to get the go ahead from a moderator.

Thanks. Will see if I can find something for this.

Does BPM not shut down the computer properly or something? I'm guessing by what you're saying that it puts the PC into hibernation rather than fully shutting it down?

It's just a guess as PC's coming out of hibernation or standby is often prone to cause issues, with sometimes it being related to Windows start-up.

But if it's like JaseC said, that BPM does a hard shutdown, it's probably related to Steam in some way.

You haven't addressed the problem with your statement - namely, that having two or more Steam threads concurrently will likely result in one or both losing interest due to fragmenting people's attention.

You're suggesting that the mods create more work for themselves by policing a topic that is focused on announcements and news (and nothing else). Aside from the fact that there are already places you can go to find news in one place, it's nigh-impossible to prevent people from going into discussions about it.

There are only a select few people who who want the topic to be needlessly split. If the infrequent off-topic discussion bothers you, nobody's forcing you to read through it.

Tell that to zkylon :p

Geez so much drama. If there was interest Shadownet may as well start a SteamGAF group. s

Why not take the off-topic stuff to a Steam Group Chat? That seems far more logical than hiding information and deals in a private 'off-site' group.

I can understand your point, but then why don't you just read http://store.steampowered.com/news/ or any other aggregate of hard facts and news?

Believe it or not there were people in this Steam Community who's opinions I valued greater than those posted on the Steam News page. Again the focus seems to be if you want news - don't look at NeoGAF's Steam Community go off-site.

For context, people need to understand that the steam thread used to be pretty well like Steve and Doogie are describing. No this isn't the time back in gaming, or even the glory BornToPlay years, it was much earlier.

Back then the worst you would get was Jasec posting a gif and nobody minded because he would make 1000 other posts helping people out.

It can work, it was great.

But ultimately it was just a different smaller community and I can see that the dominant posters are other people now. I can see that version of the thread is probably lost forever and maybe the suggestion that people like me should just move on is the right one.

Shadownet

Banned
As I said in the last page. If its possible. I rather keep things the way it is. No splitting up, etc. If people don't know what "skimming posts" is, then you only have yourself to blame. Its not that hard to do. When this thread was 10-20 pages a day, I just skim through it all until I see something interesting.

And for those who are afraid they'll miss out on a price glitch or special info. Those usually get repeated pretty often. How many times have someone asked "what did I missed" and all you have to do was either look up a bit or wait 3 mins before someone tell you.

But Cheesecake said it best. Splitting up SteamGAF in any way is just going to kill what make us this great group we all found ourselves drawn to.

Arthea

It's understandable why people want all discussion to be in one place, off topic and on, as we have tradition of wanting everything on steam, it's only logical extension to want one steam related thread. Also let's not beat around the bush and admit that splitting steam thread will certainly split us making both threads less active than one megathread. Also you can't force people post news and steam related stuff in appropriate thread, they can post it in community thread and not care about what rest of us think. There is no perfect solution to this. Also we still don't know if the steam news thread would be allowed into gaming. Until we are sure it would be, what's to discuss? We want two threads in community?

Varg

Banned
Replaying the batman series before arkham knight comes out. 100% AA and I must say that game still holds up. Looks great on the pc as well. Special shout out to all my fellow marines out there. Happy birthday and Semper Fi.

As I said in the last page. If its possible. I rather keep things the way it is. No splitting up, etc. If people don't know what "skimming posts" is, then you only have yourself to blame. Its not that hard to do. When this thread was 10-20 pages a day, I just skim through it all until I see something interesting.

That's because you're happy with it, when there are other people who are not. When people speak out about how this community is it seems to be the same 3-4 people who defend it because they're happy with the off-topic 'banter' (maybe because they feel part of it). The rest of us don't really care for it.

As mentioned previously it wasn't so bad back in the day, but it's becoming more and more about personalities and less about Steam.

Replaying the batman series before arkham knight comes out. 100% AA and I must say that game still holds up. Looks great on the pc as well. Special shout out to all my fellow marines out there. Happy birthday and Semper Fi.

Rocksteady became my favourite group when that game was released. I had no idea what they had made before Batman Arkham, but ever since I keep an eye out for them. It was the game I had been waiting for perhaps most of my life. It all felt right.

GHG

It's a proper shutdown.

Someone interested in creating the thread would need to get the go ahead from a moderator.

It's just a guess as PC's coming out of hibernation or standby is often prone to cause issues, with sometimes it being related to Windows start-up.

But if it's like JaseC said, that BPM does a hard shutdown, it's probably related to Steam in some way.

Ok thanks guys. Think I will just shutdown as normal for now until I can get to the root cause of the issue. Not worth the risk in case my startup files get permanently corrupted one day.

Shadownet

Banned
Why not take the off-topic stuff to a Steam Group Chat? That seems far more logical than hiding information and deals in a private 'off-site' group.

Believe it or not there were people in this Steam Community who's opinions I valued greater than those posted on the Steam News page. Again the focus seems to be if you want news - don't look at NeoGAF's Steam Community go off-site.
I barely see you post on here toll recently but I'm having a hard time understanding if you reaply understanding what you're reading.

No one is hiding information and deals in an off-site group aka if we make a SteamGAF group. I said, if we were going to do that. Deals and Price Glitches will be cross post here, which shouldn't be that hard even for the laziest people in the world. Same thing with big news like VC is coming to Steam, etc.

The big point of having that SteamGAF group is for the people who keep complaining that they have to go through pages to find a deal, now they don't have to! They can find out either on here or on that group. This way we can keep THIS steam thread together and there won't be any splitting.

That's because you're happy with it, when there are other people who are not. When people speak out about how this community is it seems to be the same 3-4 people who defend it because they're happy with the off-topic 'banter' (maybe because they feel part of it). The rest of us don't really care for it.
I guess we all sound like the same 3-4 to you. So I guess its always the same "3-4" that complain about not being able to keep up too.

Nabs

It's understandable why people want all discussion to be in one place, off topic and on, as we have tradition of wanting everything on steam, it's only logical extension to want one steam related thread. Also let's not beat around the bush and admit that splitting steam thread will certainly split us making both threads less active than one megathread. Also you can't force people post news and steam related stuff in appropriate thread, they can post it in community thread and not care about what rest of us think. There is no perfect solution to this. Also we still don't know if the steam news thread would be allowed into gaming. Until we are sure it would be, what's to discuss? We want two threads in community?

I'll take whatever I can get. Two community threads is fine by me, just keep the spam in this thread. I think most of us realized early on that we couldn't fix this thread, so we just gave up.

Tellaerin

Where did he tell people to stop posting certain things? All I see is this

Most of it is his opinion on the type of discussion that goes on in here not that it should be stopped. Which is fair enough as I pointed out this thread covers a lot, you could argue way too much. A solution to his problem would be a thread where the posts he considers spam aren't allowed and the topics he does want to read and discussed are moved there.

If he doesn't want it stopped, you'd think he wouldn't be complaining about being "forced" to wade through it to get at the specific bits he wants. I understand the desire to be diplomatic, and I gather that you sympathize with the guy, but the message in this case seems pretty clear.

As far as splitting the thread goes, go ahead and push for it if you think that's going to help things, but I can guarantee you it'll be the death knell for both threads. If you want the obligatory geek analogy, it'll be like that classic Trek episode where Kirk was split into his "good" and "evil" halves, and it turned out neither one could survive without the other. Being able to say "I told you so" is little consolation - I like these threads, and I'm going to hate to see them crater - but hell, it's starting to look like that's all I'm going to come out of here with.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Well Liberation was announced on 23rd October (maybe earlier) and released on 15th Jan. Where as Rogue doesn't have a store page up yet. Can another game really get in the way of an AssCreed for you?

Time may tell! I have been looking forward to Apotheon for quite a long while now.

The rest of us don't really care for it.

There's a flipside to that coin. I've seen only a handful of people trying to argue that the thread needs to be split, and not really giving any compelling reasons for it.

Look, it sounds like all you want to do is create drama. If I'm not mistaken, you already ignored Jase through the message board functions. There's nothing stopping you from doing the same thing if "4-5 people" really bother you that much.

I'll take whatever I can get. Two community threads is fine by me, just keep the spam in this thread. I think most of us realized early on that we couldn't fix this thread, so we just gave up.

You're assuming that the "moderated" thread will be completely free of asides and off-topic discussions. That's highly idealistic and presumptuous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom