• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2014 - Ride of the Valkyries

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I'm going to go sit in the corner of the Uplay thread comforting myself by rocking back and forth saying 'It's ok, it's ok, it's ok' over and over again. Sorry if I've not responded to anyone don't take it as me ignoring you but I've got a lot on today.
In the mean time, you can help the thread make it to page 2.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Speaking of racing games, Grid Autosport has some weird design decisions.

1. If you don't do a qualifier (3 laps) your pole position is automatically last. It's stupid because qualifiers are boring and it's just feels like padding punishment.

2. Two of the three racing types I have tried so far have the races doubled which gets really tedious. Basically a "season" will have 3 tracks in this format:
-Track 1, 3 laps
-Track 1, 3 laps
-Track 2, 3 laps
-Track 2, 3 laps
-Track 3...etc.

I just don't get the point in a game that errs on the side of arcade more than sim. Grid 2 doesn't do this either.

his post could not have come at a worse time.
:( sorry for asking how everyone is feeling. So just for you some DR3 impressions!!!!!

So I got up to the motorcycle boss fight... Oh god what an annoying mission that was. Didn't help that the game runs like complete shit on my hardware even though everything is at the lowest possible setting. But even tho it runs like shit its still fun. I envy those who can run it at a constant framerate.

1. If you don't do a qualifier (3 laps) your pole position is automatically last. It's stupid because qualifiers are boring and it's just feels like padding punishment.

2. Two of the three racing types I have tried so far have the races doubled which gets really tedious. Basically a "season" will have 3 tracks in this format:
-Track 1, 3 laps
-Track 1, 3 laps
-Track 2, 3 laps
-Track 2, 3 laps
-Track 3...etc.

I just don't get the point in a game that errs on the side of arcade more than sim. Grid 2 doesn't do this either.

So you HAVE to do the Qualifying rounds to get a grid position?

milena87

I'm not very fond of artstyle for some reason. Too stylized for a game, perhaps? I need to know much more to make any decision though.

In other news I'm 1 game short of 1.8K games, and I feel the itch to buy something, I blame Jasec.

I don't know, but there's something about this particular artstyle that I find interesting. It's stylized, yet detailed and I'm just liking the colours.

I'm curious to learn about the RPGs elements.

Arthea

I think I'm going to go sit in the corner of the Uplay thread comforting myself by rocking back and forth saying 'It's ok, it's ok, it's ok' over and over again. Sorry if I've not responded to anyone don't take it as me ignoring you but I've got a lot on today.

Oh the irony. Just like the combat Hope gets better at about Chapter 10.

I should try that (><)

surely you mean by
FF13-2?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
So you HAVE to do the Qualifying rounds to get a grid position?

Seems that way. I always start last and I have never bothered with it. Then they mentioned it in the F1 mode and I was like LOL okay. In the Touring mode in the second race on a track, your pole position is then the opposite of your first race on the track. So if you got first place, on your second run you will start 16th.

Arthea

-Track 1, 3 laps
-Track 1, 3 laps
-Track 2, 3 laps
-Track 2, 3 laps
-Track 3...etc.

thanks to your post, I'm not sure I want Autosport anymore. Then again, I have too many racing games already and never can decide which one to play (><)

Shadownet

Banned
Seems that way. I always start last and I have never bothered with it. Then they mentioned it in the F1 mode and I was like LOL okay. In the Touring mode in the second race on a track, your pole position is then the opposite of your first race on the track. So if you got first place, on your second run you will start 16th.
Wait is qualifying rounds and why do you find it boring?

Its not those rounds I see in NASCAR where they all drive uniformly back to back at like 50mph before the race start right?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
thanks to your post, I'm not sure I want Autosport anymore. Then again, I have too many racing games already and never can decide which one to play (><)

Grid 2's career mode is much more entertaining because it has none of those issues. Dirt 2/3 are safe as well (and also a total blast).

Its not those rounds I see in NASCAR where they all drive uniformly back to back at like 50mph before the race start right?
Basically a 3 lap time trial and you have the track to yourself.

Hmm, I'm a little less interested in playing it now. Still wouldn't mind seeing more screenshots though (HINT). I don't mind the touring car position, as I'm sure that's the case anyway after a few races or something. It's been a while since I followed touring cars >.<

Tellaerin

II think we read his post differently.....

Maybe we did. What I got from it was, "I'm busy, I have a job, and I'm annoyed that people are posting things besides deals and sale info in these threads. My time is valuable, so people need to stop wasting it with things I'm not interested in."

Your starting position is based on the time you get in qualifying rounds. Also NASCAR sucks.

Monooboe

36 hours until Unity. I feel like a kid on Christmas Eve.

I would too if I knew when they are actually sending out my copy.o_O Tried to reach out to uplay on twitter but silence. I'm getting the feeling that there is no chance that I'm playing it on release.T_T

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Your starting position is based on the time you get in qualifying rounds. Also NASCAR sucks.

icWuA5NGsUVEY.gif

Derp

I would too if I knew when they are actually sending out my copy.o_O Tried to reach out to uplay on twitter but silence. I'm getting the feeling that there is no chance that I'm playing it on release.T_T
Oh wow i completely forgot Unity is releasing soon.

Any decent deals floating around or am i too late? (I'm in Australia if that changes anything).

Dr Dogg

Uplay? That's my calling!

Actually if you've bought it from the Uplay store or got a Nvidia promo chances are they won't notify you at all and just dump into your account. I had Black Flag for 3 days before the plonkers let me know. If it's a physical edition? Well no idea, sorry.

Uplay, away!!!!

Shadownet

Banned
So you actually have to "race" to get the fastest time to get a starting position. I get it. Well that doesn't sound boring cause you actually race to try and get the fastest time. It is however repetivive if you have to do it every single time.

I don't really watch NASCAR Lol I saw like 3 mins of it once and I was thinking "why is everyone basically tailgating one another?"

The only racing game I'm semi decent at involve a hedgehog.

Arthea

Grid 2's career mode is much more entertaining because it has none of those issues. Dirt 2/3 are safe as well (and also a total blast).

Basically a 3 lap time trial and you have the track to yourself.

I started Grid 2 on PS3, I really need to get back to it on PC. I have no dlcs, I think. Are they needed?
Dirts unfortunately are out of the question, because of GFWL

So you actually have to "race" to get the fastest time to get a starting position. I get it. Well that doesn't sound boring cause you actually race to try and get the fastest time. It is however repetivive if you have to do it every single time.

I don't really watch NASCAR Lol I saw like 3 mins of it once and I was thinking "why is everyone basically tailgating one another?"

The only racing game I'm semi decent at involve a hedgehog.
3 lap qualify round is no fun(you drive alone in the game), especially when you have to do another three later.

Deques

GameFly is now Direct2Drive. Looks like their catalogue is very limited for now. And the prices are showing in dollar, before it showed GBP.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

I pray that my PC doesn't lock up overnight and my ADSL sync holds throughout the early morning. Assuming a pre-load size of 38GB (a figure which may be a bit bigger for me since I pre-ordered the GE) and a pre-load period of 24 hours, there's not a lot of room for stuff-ups:

(38 gigabytes) / (650 KBps) =
16.2393162 hours

The pre-load period really should have kicked off on Friday.

Vazduh

Nice. FIFA was so bad this year. Is PES getting PC/Steam release, if so... HELLO MOD COMMUNITY!

PC yes (tomorrow in NA, 13th in Europe), Steam version will be added in a couple of months. Visually it's closer to last gen (like 2014), but gameplay will be same as next gen.

Yeah, there's a PC/Steam release. Weirdly enough it seems to not have a store page yet but it should be up anytime I guess.

Brilliant. I'll keep an eye out for this during the Winter Sale, hopefully by then full conversion mods will be available.

PC yes (tomorrow in NA, 13th in Europe), Steam version will be added in a couple of months. Visually it's closer to last gen (like 2014), but gameplay will be same as next gen.

Ah, well.. I guess that's the trade off between easy mods or not. I'll keep an eye out on the PES OT.

Goddamnit now the song is stuck in my head. Thank you.

So many of those Saturn games had killer OSTs!

Monooboe

Any decent deals floating around or am i too late? (I'm in Australia if that changes anything).

GMG VIP Has it for 42 euros, which is kind of good, don't know how the pricing they have for Australia though?

Uplay? That's my calling!

Actually if you've bought it from the Uplay store or got a Nvidia promo chances are they won't notify you at all and just dump into your account. I had Black Flag for 3 days before the plonkers let me know. If it's a physical edition? Well no idea, sorry.

Uplay, away!!!!

Yeah I ordered the collectors edition.XD Why can't they just activate the game on my account while the physical stuff is being shipped to me?:D

Oh wow i completely forgot Unity is releasing soon.

GMG has it in their VIP section for $42 and ~$65 for the standard and gold editions respectively (which normally cost $60 and $90). Downside is you get a uplay key.

Tellaerin

I wish there were more good arcade-style racers on Steam. (Or at least I wish someone could point me to more of them, because I don't know of many.) I already have Burnout Paradise (which I enjoyed), Ridge Racer Unbounded (which isn't bad once you get past the fact that it doesn't feel anything like a real Ridge Racer game), and NFS: Hot Pursuit (which I've taken an indefinite break from thanks to one of those "get the car to the finish line in under the time limit without a scratch" races >_< ), and I've got Split/Second wishlisted. What else is there in a more arcade-ish vein that I should be keeping an eye out for?

Arthea

The only racing games I like are the old Need For Speed and Burnout games. I need to install Hot Pursuit again. I kinda enjoyed Sonic All Racing Transformed, but lost interest.

I don't remember who of us posts N4S screens in activity feed lately, but I'll be damned if these don't make we want to play it again.

Monooboe

I pray that my PC doesn't lock up overnight and my ADSL sync holds throughout the early morning. Assuming a pre-load size of 38GB (a figure which may be a bit bigger for me since I pre-ordered the GE) and a pre-load period of 24 hours, there's not a lot of room for stuff-ups:

The pre-load period really should have kicked off on Friday.

Hopefully all goes well.:D I do remember having a shaky ADSL connection once and wouldn't wish that on anybody.

F-Pina

I am a good god. Feel my generosity.

ModBot said:
Murder in the Hotel Lisbon giveaway:

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (F-Pina, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Murder in the Hotel Lisbon -- MB-9933BFB902762FD1 - Taken by cardinalmind
Murder in the Hotel Lisbon #4 -- MB-76B551BFB7020EA8 - Taken by Gintoki
Murder in the Hotel Lisbon #5 -- MB-EF8E736645E785DC - Taken by Kiru
Murder in the Hotel Lisbon #2 -- MB-371F3C0AB60C2374 - Taken by salazar547
Murder in the Hotel Lisbon #3 -- MB-A199E964B801BBAF - Taken by Chairmanchuck

Dr Dogg

Also available for about 23&#8364; in the Origin India Store.

Hook us up Chuck. I hope Dr Dogg will allow us into his uplay thread.

Well it's kind of a Steam, Origin Uplay mashup of sorts going on. I'll wait for the GOG version on Humble Bundle personally.

Oh and since we love to aggregate news here, there's new Nvidia Drivers out for Unity that GeForce Experience has been bugging me about for the past hour.

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/geforce-344-65-whql-driver-released

Arthea

I wish there were more good arcade-style racers on Steam. (Or at least I wish someone could point me to more of them, because I don't know of many.) I already have Burnout Paradise (which I enjoyed), and Ridge Racer Unbounded (which isn't bad once you get past the fact that it doesn't feel anything like a real Ridge Racer game), and I've got Split/Second wishlisted. What else is there in a more arcade-ish vein that I should be keeping an eye out for?

you could play Grid 2, I'm surprised you didn't.
I also heard good things about Bang Bang Racing but I haven't played it myself yet.
You've probably already played N4S games, haven't you?

edited: almost forgot! Gas Guzzlers Extreme, I bought it like a year ago, still haven't played (><)

Ban Puncher

I'll never understand why Konami doesn't include the J-League in PES. They have the exclusive on it and it'd be at least something to put on a bullet point over FIFA which lacks the license. Instead it's relegated to the local Winning Eleven games.

I am a good god. Feel my generosity.

Thanks man.

Hook us up Chuck. I hope Dr Dogg will allow us into his uplay thread.

Use your CC as a payment option in Origin. Use the Hola Unblocker on the Origin-website to get into the Indianstore. Then put the game into the basket. Click "Proceed to Checkout", then turn off the Hola Unblocker. Buy the game for about 23€ :D

Vuze

Man, I'm so pumped for Far Cry 4, looking at the "leaked" map didn't make it better :(
However I won't get it uPlay-only because of the updates alone and that price tag on Steam is ugh. the struggle

Dr Dogg

I'll never understand why Konami doesn't include the J-League in PES. They have the exclusive on it and it'd be at least something to put on a bullet point over FIFA which lacks the license. Instead it's relegated to the local Winning Eleven games.

They do.

And this is the best version of WE/PES ever made.

Shackled to the PS2 but works like a charm in PCSX2. Modding has become a pain as the series goes on and each .bin file for textures is encrypted differently each release and the files need to be exactly the same size in dimensions and storeage so take some careful management.

I think all in all it's down to licensing outside the region but yeah I'd love them to just do one release for everywhere. Truth be told it's been 4 years since a J League version has appeared and while the PS360 version carried on all the J League versions stayed on PS2. That might be another reason why they never make it out of Japan. Thank christ for easy importing.

Tellaerin

you could play Grid 2, I'm surprised you didn't.
I also heard good things about Bang Bang Racing but I haven't played it myself yet.
You've probably already played N4S games, haven't you?

Is Grid 2 more arcade-ish? I thought the first one skewed more toward the sim side, and I assumed the sequel would be the same. Since you reminded me, I also have NFS: Hot Pursuit (edited my earlier post - I took a break from that one thanks to one of those "get the car to the finish line without scratching it" timed races that I was getting irritated with, but I'll probably go back to it sooner or later), and Test Drive Unlimited 2, which was seriously janky but fun, up until the day when it spontaneously decided it wouldn't run anymore and nothing seemed to fix it. >_<

I'll have to take a look at Bang Bang Racing - I have it in my library, so I'm assuming it was in a bundle somewhere, but I've never actually downloaded it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom