• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2014 - Ride of the Valkyries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turfster

Random question: If I were to come home with a boxed copy of Call of Duty 4 for the PC, from Target, would I be able to add that to my Steam account?

It... depends.
It's on the list of retail games with keys, so maybe.

Gah. Seriously? Nobody posted in those 2 minutes?

Daily Indie Game has Flix The Flea (greenlight) for 1$, 1.08$ gets you 2 keys

Asgaro

Random question: If I were to come home with a boxed copy of Call of Duty 4 for the PC, from Target, would I be able to add that to my Steam account?

EDIT: I'm trying to find a 3rd game in their Buy 2, Get 1 Free deal and I felt it'd be nice to have this again.

It should be possible.
It's on the list here: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7480-WUSF-3601

Edit: heh, I also have this game on disc and I was already thinking of buying it on Steam eventually. Should try it myself when I find it.

I'm really excited about Valkyria Chronicles tomorrow.

I'm hoping it's a bit less brutal than XCOM: EU because I hit a major roadblock in that game about 19 hours in.
What roadblock did you hit? I'm 15 hours in, I need to decide between the Archangel and Ghost armor, and I don't know which one to research. >.<

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Aw, my second rejection letter from GOG.

6KBL1im.png

Maybe next time I guess. Ah well, I got Steam, I literally need nothing else. :D

A bit too casual? Did they play it? I was having trouble on day 2.

Speaking of casual, see if Big Fish games takes it. If not, your new slogan can be "Too hardcore for Big Fish, too casual for GOG."

Saty

Does GOG matter all for your game if you have on Steam? Whenever we get data for PC titles that were sold on Steam and on GOG, the latter's share is miniscule.

Turfster

Does GOG matter all for your game if you have on Steam? Whenever we get data for PC titles that were sold on Steam and on GOG, the latter's share is miniscule.
The more avenues where you can sell your game (or anything, really), the better, as long as you don't have to pay a ridiculous amount of money you don't see yourself recouping.

There is a big camp of "NO DRM STEAM IS BAD DRM" people that frequent GOG and never go to Steam, for example.

F-Pina

Bah, Steam discussions mods deleting my comment about the Pillar of Community badge. Was simply putting it out there that it shouldn't be stickied to user profiles, as many users will never link Facebook accounts.

Just missed this :0

I will do more giveaways here on this thread until the 5th of December which marks our 1 year launch on (on our website).

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed

I mean nah it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things, but I thought I'd give it a shot with this latest expansion. I put in how much I've made so far, all the indie cameos in the game, basically hyped it up as ultra NOT casual, but still got that letter.

The more avenues where you can sell your game (or anything, really), the better, as long as you don't have to pay a ridiculous amount of money you don't see yourself recouping.

There is a big camp of "NO DRM STEAM IS BAD DRM" people that frequent GOG and never go to Steam, for example.

Yeah pretty much.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
A bit too casual? Did they play it? I was having trouble on day 2.

Speaking of casual, see if Big Fish games takes it. If not, your new slogan can be "Too hardcore for Big Fish, too casual for GOG."

Actually back before I was on Steam I did go for Big Fish, I wanna say they replied back that my game needed lots of work graphically. They're not wrong, but it's funny to see their storybook animated characters and my plain-face downtrodden customers in the same pic, haha.

edit: oops sorry for the double post

iosefe

My Valkyria Chronicles just started doing a thing in the update screen, a gained like .2 GB

i guess they're doing some last minute patching or something?

Dr Dogg

Phew seems like Batman Arkham Knight on PC is exempt from the magic parity clause.

Because we all love threads that revolve around one camp ridiculing the other because X version isn't as good as Y version. To be honest I think that's the 'debate' Ubisoft wanted to cut out so both PS4 and Xbox One owners would have something on equal footing (though looking at some XO footage the framerate is horrendous). But in typical 'enthusiast' style some folks take the other end of the stick and think it's trying to hide 'advantages' of one system over the other. Sure but I'm sick to death of going into any uninformed system requirements, performance or DF thread and watching something akin to a bunch of monkeys throwing insults at each other. Any conversation that was there to be had about the technical merits of a game (and lets be honest they are thin on the ground in a DF analysis) are drowned out by mob rule. 'Parity? Rwarrrr! What about the power gap?' or 'My plastic box of components is better than yours!' style posts running on and on and on...

Phawx

Gah, I should have made this lightning. Sorry for the wait.

ModBot said:
Instructions for Phawx:

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Phawx, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Ancients of Ooga -- MB-7B414010FAFEED0C - Taken by anastef

Because we all love threads that revolve around one camp ridiculing the other because X version isn't as good as Y version. To be honest I think that's the 'debate' Ubisoft wanted to cut out so both PS4 and Xbox One owners would have something on equal footing (though looking at some XO footage the framerate is horrendous). But in typical 'enthusiast' style some folks take the other end of the stick and think it's trying to hide 'advantages' of one system over the other. Sure but I'm sick to death of going into any uninformed system requirements, performance or DF thread and watching something akin to a bunch of monkeys throwing insults at each other. Any conversation that was there to be had about the technical merits of a game (and lets be honest they are thin on the ground in a DF analysis) are drowned out by mob rule. 'Parity? Rwarrrr! What about the power gap?' or 'My plastic box of components is better than yours!' style posts running on and on and on...
If they truly cared about performance, instead of their favorite consoles winning internet fights, they would have bought PCs.

Dr Dogg

If they truly cared about performance, instead of their favorite consoles winning internet fights, they would have bought PCs.

Eh yes and no. I don't think that's a very good answer and get's away from the topic about technique and just focuses on raw power.

Let's look at Crysis 3. Now this game requires a monster to make use of all it's high end settings but you can get a thoroughly enjoyable experience at lower settings on significantly less hardware and it still look aesthetically pleasing. Texture detail definitely gets a boost across the settings but the quality of texturing at the lowest setting and their relatively small VRAM amount used is something to be applauded. Yes something at the bottom of the spectrum get's a thumbs up. That's what gets lost about how a title performs and looks across a wide range of hardware where the focus tends to gravitate to 'Max Ultra Mega' settings but doesn't look at a title at the more modest end of the spectrum.

It shouldn't be about who has the best version but how adaptable and scalable all versions are for their respective hardware.

Lomax

I really need to go back to CSD, especially with the new content. If anything it was too hardcore for me, I could barely handle the stress.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

Based on the sales breakdowns we have seen, that big camp is actually a pretty small camp.

Kagemusha

But GoG has a casual game as a daily gem.

"Wacky Wheels, a cartoony fast-paced go-kart racing game with superb multi-player gameplay, and funny animal drivers, is available 60% off for Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux on GOG.com. That's only $2.39 for the next 24 hours."

I guess I'm to blame because I haven't purchased Unholy Heights or Reus from GOG.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
What's weird about the thread split discussion is that the anti-split folks are vehemently against the other side getting a thread, where the pro-split folks are perfectly content to let this thread exist exactly as it is.

I say let the market decide what they prefer. The only reason we are even having this discussion is deference to the moderation.

6KBL1im.png

Maybe next time I guess. Ah well, I got Steam, I literally need nothing else. :D

Bookmarking to use as a cudgel in the next DD wars thread.

Knurek

I guess I'm to blame because I haven't purchased Unholy Heights or Reus from GOG.

Why would you buy them if you have a Steam version already?
And you have a Steam version already because Valve doesn't shot down indies for absurd reason. Not anymore at least...

Looks like someone reviewed the VC PC port already! Short answer: It's solid but you need to force more AA and AF from drivers. (AA seems to be applied by default.)
http://www.incgamers.com/2014/11/valkyria-chronicles-pc-port-impressions
Oh, that's really cool to hear. Wonder who did the port?
Oh boy, I am really getting my hopes up that SEGA will bring the Yakuza games on Steam. I mean, other niche Japanese games do get so much love and free PR by the community, other "failed" series are more likely to get a second chance on PC I hope.
There should be SEGA peeps reading this thread.
---
beard looks terrible in this game
I just zoomed in and what the heck are you saying? That beard is the most detailed thing in the whole image and looks better than even in most newer titles.
---
http://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/270830/header.jpg?t=1415606971
Currently $35 on Steam. If this thing were $20 or so, I'd be playing it right now.
Looks pretty comprehensive in scope though (14K airports, 100 real airlines/schedules, etc.) so I can dig the current price tag.
Hope you don't take this wrong but... are you German? :p
---
Sadly, there are. Excluding graphics and FPS, last gen version is better then the next gen one.
Would have never guessed it and am reading about this for the first time! Care to make a bit more elaborated post/list about non-visual differences between PS3-PS4? Thanks.
---
greenlight update

This has some potential
Oh, this indeed looks cool. Reminds me of Race to Mars. Shame that it has really bad impressions.
---
http://i.imgur.com/6KBL1im.png
Aw, man. Sorry :( But it's their loss really.
Btw, any info on future projects?
---
swROZE0.gif

---
Just got an isthereanydeal.com email for the following wishlisted game:
Ether One ( http://store.steampowered.com/app/265950/ ) only &#8364;4.75 at Gamersgate ( http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-EONE/ether-one )
Steam user reviews: 89% positive.
Seems like a lovely game.
One of the Steam reviews:
Yep, it's on my list for some while. Tempting offer. Man, I gotta find a way to earn money badly.
Prostitution is off the table.. for now.
---
It hurts so bad to watch this :(
GTA V Next-Gen Launch trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFhkHFSytVU
I am really curious why in the world Rockstar delayed the PC version. It just doesn't make any sense in this day and age to treat PC folks as seconds class citizens. Especially considering PC players being at the forefront when it comes to keeping a game alive by either mods or much easier footage capturing & subsequent spreading on Youtube etc. It's so backwards, it pains me to see Rockstar being stupid about this.

Turfster

But GoG has a casual game as a daily gem.

"Wacky Wheels, a cartoony fast-paced go-kart racing game with superb multi-player gameplay, and funny animal drivers, is available 60% off for Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux on GOG.com. That's only $2.39 for the next 24 hours."

I'm sorry, but Wacky Wheels is anything but casual.
Friendships were lost over this game, and it came to actual blows one time.

Based on the sales breakdowns we have seen, that big camp is actually a pretty small camp.

Eh, it's still big enough to make it worth it for anyone that's not a huge publisher that's just dumping their old back catalogue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom