• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2014 - Ride of the Valkyries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozium

I just played some 0rbitalis for cards (yes played, not idled... I haven't played it in a while) and it's really fun.. y'all should grab it, there's coupons floating around for it if you know where to look.

still in early access but there's a decent amount of content and the game mechanics are great... Just read that the next update will start to include a daily challenge mode which I LOVE and this is a great type of game for it...

Chris Eliot of Cabinboy fame, actually.

I have fond memories of Cabin Boy....

psst, hey.. would you like to buy a monkey?

Ozium

Oh screw this, Five Nights at Freddy's 2 just hit the Top Sellers to prevent VC from reaching #1. Thanks a lot!

I'm convinced that the first one was just an earlier build of this game and was used as a marketing tool to create demand for an already or close to being made sequel.

The first was not only priced cheaper than the second one, but was also bundled multiple times within a week... we'll see if this one gets bundled too

Anteater

B2IW7EeIAAACmyX.jpg:large

so does this mean valkyria chronicles is making more moneys than football manager

Shadownet

Banned
i think people rushed the iphone stores before they stopped selling iphones here but that doesn't sound like my kind of thing

but i like the idea of going with your thermos and like staying up all night with friends hyping up your new console or something
People used to camp out for concert tickets before the internet, so that was fun. But nowadays the only thing worth camping out for is a new console. You can preorder iphone and video games so you don't really have to camp out anymore for those. Obviously some people still go because it's fun. I went with my friends to the Halo 4 launch at Microsoft Store. It was a blast, I won a $200 Portable Speaker too cause of a raffle. They had food and entertainment.

Also I've seen people camp outside for a new pair of Jordan lol

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
so does this mean valkyria chronicles is making more moneys than football manager

steam charts by revenue so yes, at least right now, doesnt mean overall. FM has been out longer, VC comes out today, recent releases always shoot to the top (well, popular ones, which VC is thankfully)

Nabs

I know this might sound like blasphemy, but is there a bilinear filtering/interpolation option?

Yup, it has the Kid Icarus veneer and it's one of the questions on the board.

The game doesn't seem to have many options. I might try out a SweetFX CRT filter down the line.

Technical stuff: It doesn't seem to have a real fullscreen mode unless I missed it. I simply used BorderlessGaming to force it. I'm not sure it's meant to have a real fullscreen mode, since there's no exit button on the menu screen. Weird!

It has basic (dinput) controller support, so your controller should work (I tested my DS4). There are no controller options, so unless you're on a DS4 with the right software, you're going to have to deal with the menu being mapped to B and no analog stick support.

I'll play some tomorrow and drop some impressions in the indie thread. I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy this one.

Miguel81

People used to camp out for concert tickets before the internet, so that was fun. But nowadays the only thing worth camping out for is a new console. You can preorder iphone and video games so you don't really have to camp out anymore for those. Obviously some people still go because it's fun. I went with my friends to the Halo 4 launch at Microsoft Store. It was a blast, I won a $200 Portable Speaker too cause of a raffle. They had food and entertainment.

The last time I camped out was for the PS2 back in '00. Man, how time flies. It's like it was only yesterday.

The game doesn't seem to have many options. I might try out a SweetFX CRT filter down the line.

I might just have to do that myself with Rpro(SweetFX). Also good to know about dinput.

Grief.exe

B2IW7EeIAAACmyX.jpg:large

At this particular moment, Valkyria is generating more revenue than Football Manager. It also managed to pass Binding of Isaac as well, but Five Night at Freddy's 2 just entered the top 5.

MUnited83

For you.
I'm convinced that the first one was just an earlier build of this game and was used as a marketing tool to create demand for an already or close to being made sequel.

The first was not only priced cheaper than the second one, but was also bundled multiple times within a week... we'll see if this one gets bundled too

Multiple times? It was bundle on Indie Gala only no? I think they probably signed a deal with Gala before the game got the surge on popularity.

I don't think the sequel will be bundled anytime soon, at the rate it's selling.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
seeing Unity in first place (as expected) makes me think unless Ubi really REALLY wants to launch uplay as a platform like EA did with Origin, maybe that whole thing really was just a clerical mistake

then again, im sure BF4 would have been #1 in sales if it was on steam on release so, maybe you CAN afford to lose those steam sales, who knows. These charts mean little when we dont know how many copies are being sold, for all we know it could be Unity with 100 copies sold, MW with 80, Rebirth with 70 etc (just exagerating for effect, im sure its a lot more)

Grief.exe

Loving the design of the new bosses in Rebirth. They take influence from bullet-hell games and end up being a ton of fun to play.

Found a new area with a new boss that I had no idea existed.

klATeLc.png

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Bah, Unity's US unlock time was moved up to an hour from now and I still have 7.5 hours to go until my pre-load completes. :(

Tenrius

seeing Unity in first place (as expected) makes me think unless Ubi really REALLY wants to launch uplay as a platform like EA did with Origin, maybe that whole thing really was just a clerical mistake

What else could it be? That's the only logical explanation.

Rhaknar

What else could it be? That's the only logical explanation.

clearly you werent here last friday or whenever it happened, most people (including me) assumed they were pulling a EA

and when they returned there were some theories (although those not from me) that it was fan backlash that made them back off the decision

Bah, Unity's US unlock time was moved up to an hour from now and I still have 7.5 hours to go until my pre-load completes. :(

be thankful youre not in europe (unless youre VPNing)

Ozium

Multiple times? It was bundle on Indie Gala only no? I think they probably signed a deal with Gala before the game got the surge on popularity.

I don't think the sequel will be bundled anytime soon, at the rate it's selling.

It was in an indie gala bundle and then a halloween weekly bundle at humble a couple weeks after that..

JaseC

Ozium

Jase just needs to down some VB, grab some mates and some VB.. make some vegemite sandwiches, grab an empty VB bottle, bottle some punk, have some VB... what's on telly? ass creed commercial, fuck it.. smash the TV with a bottle of VB and then take a bloody nap

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Guys I'm looking for a game on Steam.

It's a runner game that's in third person of a man in a suit (?) who jumps on platforms that you turn so he can land on them? I think?

It's not vector, and it's similar to Fotonica, but in third person.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/253290

Maybe T.E.C. 3001? Only game that comes to mind right now.

Oh, that kind of suit. I don't know why I thought of something similar to a spacesuit immediately. Yeah, it's probably that then.

JaseC

you could finish Styx in those 7 hours

I'm so close yet so far.

First time watching Seinfeld?

Pretty much, yeah. Its reputation is well-earned, to say the least.

Jase just needs to down some VB, grab some mates and some VB.. make some vegemite sandwiches, grab an empty VB bottle, bottle some punk, have some VB... what's on telly? ass creed commercial, fuck it.. smash the TV with a bottle of VB and then take a bloody nap

Sound advice. ;)

Deitus

I don't get it. Didn't Five Nights at Freddy's just come out a couple of months ago? How and why is there a sequel already?

zkylon

zkylewd

yea i certainly don't camp for concerts anymore

the only thing i can remember as of late is camping to get my id card but they redid that a couple years ago and now it's super fast which is perfect for someone like me that keeps losing it

hepburn3d

Does anyone else find that when they exit out of a game sometimes Big Picture mode stops responding to xb360 controller inputs? Is making me a little sad

JaseC

youre Turfering it arent you? ugh

youre an assassin, kill shit!

The first time through a mission I kill everything I can while avoiding alerts and collecting the coins/tokens/whatever-they-are and then I race through it without killing anybody.

These charts mean little when we dont know how many copies are being sold, for all we know it could be Unity with 100 copies sold, MW with 80, Rebirth with 70 etc (just exagerating for effect, im sure its a lot more)

Considering Football Manager usually sells around 1 million copies (and FM2015 seems to perform even better than normal) and gathers something like 70000 players simultaneously on Steam since its launch, Assassin's Creed must be doing really great (and Isaac and VC too, that's so good).

Ozium

just grabbed pirates of black cove, knights and merchants hd, knightshift, east india company gold and enclave from DLH

5up!

Phawx

Cross-posting from the Indie game thread. Elliot Quest is available today on Steam.

My Let's Play of Elliot Quest is up. You can find it here:

http://youtu.be/c5I0gRBZNTM

Quick Impressions:

It's a love letter to The Legend of Zelda 2: Link's Adventure
  • There is an armored guard that has a very similar style but thankfully not similar attack pattern.
  • A kid is missing a cat named "Link"
  • There are two sections of the game. Side Scrolling and Overworld traversal (where you can get interrupted by baddies)
  • Towns and dialogue with NPCs are similar to Zelda 2

Good stuff:

Initial weapon you're equipped with is a bow and arrow (not sure if you get other weapons, but it looks like I have seven more slots left and the other is filled with a candle.)

There are lots and lots of nods and winks towards NES' styling (Megaman-type enemies and bit of Castlevania platforming)

Overall, platforming/action mechanics are solid. Exploration is excellent. Levels and areas locked off by items (I.E. Metroid/Zelda style)

Map system is very helpful and is probably the furthest the game goes in holding your hand. The game can be slightly challenging. Thankfully checkpoints aren't too far apart.

Bad Stuff:

You can skip cutscenes entirely, but you can't accelerate them. If you can read 10 words in two seconds be prepared to wait another eight seconds. Not sure if it's a translation thing, but some of the wording gives a different tone (YMMV).

Bottom Line: Very charming and appropriately difficult.

Milamber

Milamber explain Comic Market for me.

Sorry, I was out. Comic Market is 2 times per year event (Summer and Winter) where everyone from all Mixed Media (Music/drama/manga/gaming/anime) get together to display/sell their otaku fetishes to the crowds in a single exhibition hall.

A lot of Japanese doujin/fan/small games from small publishers are debuted there with usually limited collectors bonuses (Like E3/PAX, which is only games).

xBladeM6x

Hopefully all this money will convince SEGA to bring the other VCs onto Steam. Initially, I thought that was a pipe dream, but now....

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member

JaseC

A Chinese user that hasn't even set up their account yet on Steam added me. Is this some sort of trick?

There is a 1% chance that the user is new to Steam and genuinely wants you as a friend. There is a 99% chance that it's just a dummy/bot account of a scammer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom