• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2014 - Ride of the Valkyries

Status
Not open for further replies.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Welp, the next version of Enhanced Steam is now officially delayed, due to yet another change made by Valve. This time, they've changed the steamLogin cookie to add the HTTPONLY flag meaning extensions like Enhanced Steam cannot read the data it contains.

This cookie is what Enhanced Steam used to a) determine if you were logged in or not and b) to get your Steam ID. Some of you may have noticed a few Enhanced Steam features (such as the Library feature) disappearing in the last few hours, which is due to this change.

It can be fixed, but unfortunately it's not easy.

Thorgal

You play as Garry Rambler, a rogue mercenary that escaped from hell who has sworn to take revenge upon the illusive cows that lurk among the shadows whom murdered his family, stuck in a purgatory filled with nothing but cows, grass and more cows. Only equipped with his moustache, cliché 80's mullet and magnum revolver; the exact revolver he used to kill the legendary cow god that ordered his family to be executed, he must fend for himself in a cruel, unforgiving dimension.

Incredible. The game we deserved (after Goat Simulator).

This story sounds like it was cooked up and formulated with the help of pharmaceuticals . ;:p

Welp, the next version of Enhanced Steam is now officially delayed, due to yet another change made by Valve. This time, they've changed the steamLogin cookie to add the HTTPONLY flag meaning extensions like Enhanced Steam cannot read the data it contains.

This cookie is what Enhanced Steam used to a) determine if you were logged in or not and b) to get your Steam ID. Some of you may have noticed a few Enhanced Steam features (such as the Library feature) disappearing in the last few hours, which is due to this change.

Is that why Idle Master said my session info was invalid this morning?

So, SteamGAF, MASSIVE CHALICE released on Steam Early Access and there's only one curator recommending it as of this post:

Any guess on who it is? If you guessed PC Gamer, please go sit in a corner until this is over. If somehow managed to guess Double Fine, then it turns out you're right! It's none other than Double Fine's own curation! After a quick Google it turns out they're partially quoting a PC Gamer "hands on" of MASSIVE CHALICE.

Now I wonder why Double Fine would think it's ok to recommend their own game using the words of another on their own curation account... As meaningless as the curations are, it still seems more than a little scummy to me, especially after the whole Spacebase DF-9 Early Access disaster. (And yes, I know that DF gave all owners of DF-9 and Hack 'n' Slash the other game - that isn't what the controversy was about.)

eh, the quote itself seems to be properly sourced and it isn't like they're using a puppet account to pretend it isn't them posting it. Not seeing the issue.

with skyrim being gamebryo and coming from bethesda, we knew it was going to need some work from the get-go. the AC games have been sloppily ported to the PC, sure, but they've never really been buggy messes. Ran like crap, but it ran.

Skyrim was just a special case where it was literally broken on one platform. The sad thing is that Fallout 3 and New Vegas were pretty broken on the ps3, too, but since skyrim sold more it had more of an outcry attached to it. You couldn't pay me enough money to get a bethesda game on a console again.

also, that's pretty much what i expected JC3 to look like.

there was a lot of issues with NV on ps3? heh first time hearing about that. I had that one day 1 and yea the framerate suffered every now and then but from my experience it was more or less the same as fallout 3(not the gameplay, but how it ran). guess i just got lucky. it does run a lot better on PC tho.

KiDdYoNe

Now I wonder why Double Fine would think it's ok to recommend their own game using the words of another on their own curation account... As meaningless as the curations are, it still seems more than a little scummy to me, especially after the whole Spacebase DF-9 Early Access disaster. (And yes, I know that DF gave all owners of DF-9 and Hack 'n' Slash the other game - that isn't what the controversy was about.)

What?

Dr Dogg

At this rate I'm wondering who's going to be Ubisoft's Chris Crocker. You know I'll like Ubi jank and all but I ain't sticking up for them, plus I'm sure a bunch of angry forum dwellers will shank me in the digital world if I did.

Damn, they are keeping you on your toes as of late. Thanks for keeping us posted dude.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Is that why Idle Master said my session info was invalid this morning?

It could be. Most likely when they made this changeover they invalidated all of the steamLogin codes and generated new ones. Once you paste the new code in, you should be good to go again.

But it's trickier with ES, as it's easy for a human to read the data it contains but something completely different for a script to get this info.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with their decision to do this for the sake of security - it's just a headache.

Damn, they are keeping you on your toes as of late. Thanks for keeping us posted dude.

Indeed they are! I've given it some thought, and this will probably be the last "full" release of this year. I'll spend the rest of the calendar year getting the API servers ready for the big sales and spend some time fixing up little bugs and formatting issues that pop up here and there.

louiedog

So, SteamGAF, MASSIVE CHALICE released on Steam Early Access and there's only one curator recommending it as of this post:

Any guess on who it is? If you guessed PC Gamer, please go sit in a corner until this is over. If somehow managed to guess Double Fine, then it turns out you're right! It's none other than Double Fine's own curation! After a quick Google it turns out they're partially quoting a PC Gamer "hands on" of MASSIVE CHALICE.

I don't see the problem. They're up front that it's their game and PC Gamer wrote those words.

I recommend you don't visit the curation pages of other indie devs and pubs if you want to avoid having a heart attack. Many of them do this.

dex3108

Good news for SteamGAF member who is waiting ACU key from GMG with me, keys should be distributed very soon. Order status has changed from Pre-Purchase to Completed for me :D

Haunted

I've looked on their curation page. For every game they were involved in, they clearly state their relation right upfront in the first sentence. "A Double Fine game." or "A Double Fine Presents game."

I feel like they could've just as easily refrained from including their own games in the curation and most people probably wouldn't have thought it's weird, but I don't see too much wrong with this, tbh.

Haunted

The arms race continues!

Finished DreadOut. Game is very short and hasn't a lot of content. Combat feels like a simplified version of Fatal Frame and actual combat encounters are very few in number. There's also like only one puzzle in the entire game, and visuals range from somewhat decent to pretty bad.

Even if this is still the first part of the game and the second one will be free I say at the moment this isn't really worth the €15 they are asking for it.

iosefe

Is it possible that PC sales were so bad that they decided to unlock game? XD

image.jpg

dex3108

So i am downloading ACU now and i just realized that i can browse internet without issues! UPlay is not taking all bandwidth anymore ! XD

Worded poorly, sorry. Spacebase DF-9 owners were given Hack 'n' Slash, and the same is true for the reverse.

I don't see the problem. They're up front that it's their game and PC Gamer wrote those words.

I recommend you don't visit the curation pages of other indie devs and pubs if you want to avoid having a heart attack. Many of them do this.
Really? Blargh.. I never noticed.

Steam curation needs an overhaul.

Is there a good reason for them doing this, or does it seem like frivolous changes just to troll you?

oh wow cod is like $20 thanks to not being region locked? thats pretty dope for anyone who wants it. I'm sure my bro would be upset, he just got it on ps4 yesterday cause I couldn't get him a cheap copy on steam.

jshackles

Is there a good reason for them doing this, or does it seem like frivolous changes just to troll you?

To prevent account stealers from getting cookies via javascript (account info, steam guard cookie)?
Assuming that this was applied to all cookies.

Like madjoki says, it's there to prevent your account information from being compromised at the hands of a nefariously injected script (which is a good and welcomed change). The unfortunate side effect is that it breaks Enhanced Steam in about 25 different places. As best as I can tell, this is the only cookie that's flagged this way so far.

It used to be a lot easier to maintain Enhanced Steam back when Valve didn't make changes like this all the time.

Phinor

I actually bought Advanced Warfare before release when all signs pointed towards 'better than expected'. Well it might still be, but 1.5 weeks after release it remains completely unplayable due to mouse issues. I guess many people don't experience these mouse issues (or can tolerate twitchy mouse that jumps all over the place) because there aren't that many people complaining about the issue. Others claim they have easily fixed the problem with a little config change or by changing USB polling rate but obviously these, and the other hundred fixes don't fix a damn thing for me and some other unlucky people.

oh wow cod is like $20 thanks to not being region locked? thats pretty dope for anyone who wants it. I'm sure my bro would be upset, he just got it on ps4 yesterday cause I couldn't get him a cheap copy on steam.

So when you can't get a russian bear to sell you a copy of AW for $20, your brother goes and buys the PS4 version for $60 instead of the Steam version for like $52 (assuming the same pinciples of key trading that work on ACU work on AW)?

Makes sense to me.

I actually bought Advanced Warfare before release when all signs pointed towards 'better than expected'. Well it might still be, but 1.5 weeks after release it remains completely unplayable due to mouse issues. I guess many people don't experience these mouse issues (or can tolerate twitchy mouse that jumps all over the place) because there aren't that many people complaining about the issue. Others claim they have easily fixed the problem with a little config change or by changing USB polling rate but obviously these, and the other hundred fixes don't fix a damn thing for me and some other unlucky people.

What does a mouse have to do with playing video games?! I don't understand!

madjoki

So when you can't get a russian bear to sell you a copy of AW for $20, your brother goes and buys the PS4 version for $60 instead of the Steam version for like $52 (assuming the same pinciples of key trading that work on ACU work on AW)?

$43-ish from Brazilian.

Might actually check it out assuming it goes on sale before they decide to lock it again.

Panda Rin

Completely unrelated: If anyone is on the fence about Valkyria Chronicles, I want you to buy it right now. You owe it to yourself. If anyone asks, you can say you had no choice.

I don't see a problem with this. It's not like their trying to be sneaky about it.

Amzin

I've only played the SP but I actually had to plug in my controller to finish the last level because it wouldn't recognize the KB/M controls for a couple specific actions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom