• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2014 - Ride of the Valkyries

Status
Not open for further replies.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Fs3sevs.jpg

woo

Unfortunately due to the change in how the steamLogin cookie is read, you won't get the awesome Enhanced Steam birthday layout.

tumblr_lzcmikPC8C1r4y5pco1_500.gif

Turfster

Styx was patched about half an hour ago (469MB):
Still no patch for the bullshit
'boss'
at the end, huh? =p

Grass Simulator, what?

You still won't get me to buy AW, even at Bear prices.
You had one shot at getting me to play COD games, Activision, and you blew it with the Blops2 bullshit not launching =p

Anteater

Unfortunately due to the change in how the steamLogin cookie is read, you won't get the awesome Enhanced Steam birthday layout.

It's ok I still saw it earlier today when i was using my browser, probably before they did the change, that's actually how i know it's my 10th year, just didn't think to look for the badge and post about it until now!

DocSeuss

So what are campaigns in CS? I'm assuming they're not like... SP Campaign things that would actually get me to play the game. More like challenges, yeah?

Copons

So what are campaigns in CS? I'm assuming they're not like... SP Campaign things that would actually get me to play the game. More like challenges, yeah?

Here you go:

It's pretty easy, but slightly time consuming.

After you buy and activate the operation pass, you'll have a sort of ingame book that keeps track of your operation progress.
Missions consists of dumb stuff, like "Kill 20 (human) people with an AK-47" or "Win 15 competitive matches in Dust II".
You can complete missions just playing normally, or you could go for a specific mission clicking the Play This Mission button placed wherever it shows your available missions.

So, you'll eventually complete a mission during a match. When that match ends, you (and everybody else) will obtain the mission reward, which can be an operation case or a random weapon skin (it says it in the mission description).

Apparently, after some missions completed there's a cooldown. I completed 3 missions and it now says I won't be able to do any more missions for the next 4 days. IIRC, this wasn't the case with the previous operation, but I don't know, as I jumped in really late and maybe at the beginning was like this.

That's it, really.

Just saying, my 3 completed missions dropped 2 Operation Vanguard cases and 1 PP-Bizon skin, all already sold for a whopping 2€ and spare (almost half of what I paid for the op pass), which isn't bad considering I played for like 30 minutes.

Sendou

they region unlocked advanced warfare? wut? well, might as well pick it up then.

Pretty clever of them. First make people who are willing to pay the high price and then let those on the fence think they got a deal a bit later while the game is still fresh. All this without looking like you're ripping anyone off.

Nzyme32

but but but... I go 10 on nov 16th, along with HL2.... I don't wanna buy real balloons

bah. I suppose I'll just settle for some casual drinking

PYXCrDe.gif

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
but but but... I go 10 on nov 16th, along with HL2.... I don't wanna buy real balloons

bah. I suppose I'll just settle for some casual drinking

No worries - it'll be fixed by then. :)

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
So, SteamGAF, MASSIVE CHALICE released on Steam Early Access and there's only one curator recommending it as of this post:

Any guess on who it is? If you guessed PC Gamer, please go sit in a corner until this is over. If somehow managed to guess Double Fine, then it turns out you're right! It's none other than Double Fine's own curation! After a quick Google it turns out they're partially quoting a PC Gamer "hands on" of MASSIVE CHALICE.

Now I wonder why Double Fine would think it's ok to recommend their own game using the words of another on their own curation account... As meaningless as the curations are, it still seems more than a little scummy to me, especially after the whole Spacebase DF-9 Early Access disaster. (And yes, I know that DF gave all owners of DF-9 and Hack 'n' Slash the other game - that isn't what the controversy was about.)

Just wanted to add that I don't really see the problem either. It's pretty clear who is recommending the game (I.E. it's not some person with secret ties to Double Fine) and they are giving you someone else's unbiased opinion of the game instead of just writing down some more ad-speak.

It's basically the best way to handle it, save totally recusing yourself (which I think would be kind of silly given how informal the whole curation thing is anyway).

Don't tell him then.
what are you insane? he's so adorable when he gets all worked up over small things like this.
So when you can't get a russian bear to sell you a copy of AW for $20, your brother goes and buys the PS4 version for $60 instead of the Steam version for like $52 (assuming the same pinciples of key trading that work on ACU work on AW)?

Makes sense to me.

well he was always planning on getting it on ps4 since he has +10 friends that he normally talks to/knows irl that were going to get it for that system but he asked me if i could get it for like $20 on steam for him cause if so he'll just get it on that and play with like 2 people that go to his school that are also pc gamers.

jshackles

Someone mentioned this feature earlier and I've been working on it for a while but just got it mostly buttoned up:

Basically, you'll be able to hide that huge box on the page. It'll remember your preferences and keep them hidden until you expand it down again (at which point it will remember to show these until you hide them again, rinse and repeat)

It's pretty intuitive and should work pretty well. I'm not sure why this wasn't done this way to begin with, except I'm sure they didn't want people to be able to "opt-out" of providing a review. That section is just too damn big in my opinion.

Someone mentioned this feature earlier and I've been working on it for a while but just got it mostly buttoned up:

Basically, you'll be able to hide that huge box on the page. It'll remember your preferences and keep them hidden until you expand it down again (at which point it will remember to show these until you hide them again, rinse and repeat)

It's pretty intuitive and should work pretty well. I'm not sure why this wasn't done this way to begin with, except I'm sure they didn't want people to be able to "opt-out" of providing a review. That section is just too damn big in my opinion.

That's awesome.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything

You seriously need to play more Just Cause 2 :p

Jawmuncher

The only thing I dislike about in home streaming is that I can't stream the game and still keep desktop functions on the original PC.

Grizza

The 10 year club is gonna get pretty large in a few days, with the 10 year anniversary of HL2 coming up on 11/16. I remember how pissed I was when I got home with my box copy and couldn't set up a Steam account to play it for almost half a day. It's crazy to see how far Steam has come over the last 10 years. At the time I had no idea Steam would eventally become my primary source of gaming.

zkylon

zkylewd
if what youve seen of it doesnt speak to you, I dont know why anyone's opinion of it would matter :)
well like i always like to hear people that love stuff talk about it

i'm not the type to hate something because it's loved, but for some reason i never catched onto the rogue legacy rush

I played the tutorial part during a free weekend and I think it is very good, if tactical FPS are your cup of tea then I am pretty sure you will enjoy it.

i'm not sure if they are

i played a bit of red orchestra 2 which sounded very cool but ended up frustrating me pretty quickly

i think i like more lite tactical fpses like brothers in arms and graw and swat or something

Ah :D
Yeah, Assassins Creed pretty much fucked itself hard.

swUb3Mo.png

Also lol at these variations of saying that it's set in Paris 1789
i think it's the right path for them to take, even if this game is gonna be bumpy as fuck

the chest thing sounds pretty rotten tho

jshackles

MRORANGE

It's apparent were not going to get a response from the mods.

Proposed thread for Friday:

09epU13.png

What is this thread?
A thread to find about news on Steam / Updates / Sales* quickly and efficiently.

Uh...... but we have one already?
Yes we do, but that thread goes in community and it's a hassle to go through to find sale information or news.

So how does it work?
You just post the news about the agenda with a link and a brief info, Example: the game that was on sale today.

What are the rules:

- Do not post questions here
- Do not post off topic comments here
- Do not post giveaways
- Do not post on how great a previous post was
- Sales* frrom other stores are allowed to be posted here if it's the steam version.

Thread will be posted in Gaming, we will see how it does, the STEAM | November thread will run normally with all the things you expect from a monthly thread. If Steam News catches on and works we can start to think about relaxing the rules for the Steam Montlhy thread about trading and posting Steam stats.

Hopefulyl most people will support this new thread as it is a supplement to this thread.and relies on you helping the new thread out to make sure its on-topic and relevant.

Nabs

Assuming it's same as Valiant Hearts, you still need to use Uplay-account, the cd-key was registered with, so it's still very limited.

You don't need a cdkey, just the user account it's linked to. I just set Uplay to offline mode and there's no conflict (no need for cloud saves, achievements, leaderboards and cool uplay exclusive wallpapers).

And past titles too.

True. I'd like to give Watch_Dogs a spin.

Jawmuncher

Thread will be posted in Gaming, we will see how it does, the STEAM | November thread will run normally with all the things you expect from a monthly thread. If Steam News catches on and works we can start to think about relaxing the rules for the Steam Montlhy thread about trading and posting Steam stats.

Hopefulyl most people will support this new thread as it is a supplement to this thread.and relies on you helping the new thread out to make sure its on-topic and relevant.

Seems good for the most part.
Since news will end up hitting both anyway.

Turfster

Nice idea, but I don't see it happening, to be honest.
(Yes, I'm a Debbie Downer, sorry)
People will just post whatever on the gaming side thread (where half(?) of our visitors will probably not even be aware of this thread).
I mean, nobody followed the rules when we were still in gaming, so chances of it suddenly changing seem small.

Nabs

Hmm. I'm not so sure about the ultra-strict rule set there. It's like a discussion thread without the discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom