• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2014 - Ride of the Valkyries

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
54b31123cb3a39ab3fa21bb559c4a0e6.gif
that's really cool

arrow could be a bit prettier tho <3

It's apparent were not going to get a response from the mods.

Proposed thread for Friday:

Thread will be posted in Gaming, we will see how it does, the STEAM | November thread will run normally with all the things you expect from a monthly thread. If Steam News catches on and works we can start to think about relaxing the rules for the Steam Montlhy thread about trading and posting Steam stats.

Hopefulyl most people will support this new thread as it is a supplement to this thread.and relies on you helping the new thread out to make sure its on-topic and relevant.
i hope we don't lose many people

part of what makes this thread awesome is that people here are so different so it'd be sad to see many of them go

also i find it pretty stupid that you haven't gotten a response. this is one of the highest traffic threads in the whole thing, you'd think they would bother to at least tell you "bear with us, we're figuring it out" or something.

Nzyme32

Thread will be posted in Gaming, we will see how it does, the STEAM | November thread will run normally with all the things you expect from a monthly thread. If Steam News catches on and works we can start to think about relaxing the rules for the Steam Montlhy thread about trading and posting Steam stats.

Hopefulyl most people will support this new thread as it is a supplement to this thread.and relies on you helping the new thread out to make sure its on-topic and relevant.

I like it.

May I suggest you make it abundantly clear that it is just for news (perhaps highlight it) otherwise it is probably going to get hammered.

Also you might want to mention that the thread will focus on "present news" or "on going" things, to appease minsc

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.

Sounds good. I like forbidding giveaways, too.

Question about questions: is that rule attempting to stem people asking when a sale will start or basically any line of inquiry like "is this the game's historical low price?"

Hmm. I'm not so sure about the ultra-strict rule set there. It's like a discussion thread without the discussion.

Yeah. I think some discussion should be allowed as long as it is strictly on topic.

also i find it pretty stupid that you haven't gotten a response. this is one of the highest traffic threads in the whole thing, you'd think they would bother to at least tell you "bear with us, we're figuring it out" or something.

Well, Stump is away. Don't know who else he sent it to. Maybe that person is also away.

Sini

That thread sounds really lame. If people will take that as green light for posting even more off topic garbage here then Steamgaf is kind of dead for me.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
that's really cool

arrow could be a bit prettier tho <3

True, but it's functional and using the existing CSS rather than an image which would increase it's execution time slightly. It's also a lot more smooth than that gif makes it out to be, it's not choppy at all. Should be nice. ;)

Miguel81

Well, they did remember to tell everyone else that Amir0x is gay.

Hide chat is great, but the comments were still scrolling on the screen. At least I got to see the FP option in play. I'm almost completely blind on this game, so definitely looking forward to getting it on Steam and installing the the countless mods that will come to fruition.

Nice idea, but I don't see it happening, to be honest.
(Yes, I'm a Debbie Downer, sorry)
People will just post whatever on the gaming side thread (where half(?) of our visitors will probably not even be aware of this thread).
I mean, nobody followed the rules when we were still in gaming, so chances of it suddenly changing seem small.

agreed. You can't prevent people from posting 'non-rule' stuff...no one is going to read the OT every time.

part of what makes this thread awesome is that people here are so different so it'd be sad to see many of them go

the fuck would we lose people? You can only sub one steam thread at a time?

MRORANGE

Seems good for the most part.
Since news will end up hitting both anyway.

Thanks.

Nice idea, but I don't see it happening, to be honest.
(Yes, I'm a Debbie Downer, sorry)
People will just post whatever on the gaming side thread (where half(?) of our visitors will probably not even be aware of this thread).
I mean, nobody followed the rules when we were still in gaming, so chances of it suddenly changing seem small.

Rule set is stricter in this one, so hopefulyl we can self moderate ourselves better.

Hmm. I'm not so sure about the ultra-strict rule set there. It's like a discussion thread without the discussion.

Still working on this one, I want discussion but not wanting for it to go off-topic

We won't, I'll be pushing both threads.

I like it.

May I suggest you make it abundantly clear that it is just for news (perhaps highlight it) otherwise it is probably going to get hammered.

Also you might want to mention that the thread will focus on "present news" or "on going" things, to appease minsc

Good idea

Sounds good. I like forbidding giveaways, too.

Question about questions: is that rule attempting to stem people asking when a sale will start or basically any line of inquiry like "is this the game's historical low price?"

Yeah. I think some discussion should be allowed as long as it is strictly on topic.

This is a tricky one, I wanted a rss style info page, without too much commentary about each item but some questions are important to answer especially for games on sales.

That thread sounds really lame. If people will take that as green light for posting even more off topic garbage here then Steamgaf is kind of dead for me.

wait and see.

zkylon

zkylewd
Well, Stump is away. Don't know who else he sent it to. Maybe that person is also away.

i'm guessing they're aware of it and thinking about it but haven't come to a decision yet

i don't think anyone would be upset if mods didn't have a solution already since it's been only like one week, but the sudden move to community was and now this valve-like zero communication thing is not the way to handle shit

True, but it's functional and using the existing CSS rather than an image which would increase it's execution time slightly. It's also a lot more smooth than that gif makes it out to be, it's not choppy at all. Should be nice. ;)
yea sorry that my praises always come with requests but that's my nature. i hope you implement that arrow thingie to many more things and maybe that it can be set to be always "off" by default.

see? more requests!

the fuck would we lose people? You can only sub one steam thread at a time?
well i don't know about other people but i have a hard time tracking many threads. even 3 is a lot for me, and i don't even have a job

We won't, I'll be pushing both threads.
hopefully most people will be happy at least

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

My only concern is if said thread never really exposes people to this half of the SteamGAF community, and ends up starving us for new members. If anything, that's simply going to cause this place to get more insular - and we don't want that.

Here's hoping for the best, even if I fear the worst (and not just related to the new thread, but just the move in general)

He contacted Bish of all people, I believe. We've also had Zeli and Minsc both visit this thread lately and I highly doubt they're 100% unaware of ORANGE's PM/plans.

I was wondering, has Amazon shown any type of consistency with price matching Steam sales ever since their reps have gone quiet? I received some gift cards there and wanted to know if it was worth saving them for price matches during the Winter Sale or not to bother.

Turfster

Rule set is stricter in this one, so hopefulyl we can self moderate ourselves better.
We don't really have any power, though.
Most previous attempts at self-moderation failed pretty badly when people didn't want to listen, because what could we do, except contact a mod?
Just saying.

Anyway, we'll see.

Ubi said Feudal Japan isn't happening because it's been in too many video games and is therefore boring as fuck

Then why not use China? I mean they use it now for some 2d Game, but I would love to have one in old Beijing with Hutongs, the Forbidden City and such.
Or Korea?

Besides they have a Feudal Japan AC. Its a mobile game :D

Jawmuncher

I was wondering, has Amazon shown any type of consistency with price matching Steam sales ever since their reps have gone quiet? I received some gift cards there and wanted to know if it was worth saving them for price matches during the Winter Sale or not to bother.

During winter sales they were pretty spot on with price matching last year for the dailies.
Though it was a little bit behind.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Maybe you could put a link in the OP to this thread. With something like "If you'd like to ask questions or discuss anything else Steam related, please check out our Steam community thread here".

Thread needs minor tweaking but of course it will have a link to this thread in community for discussions.

Ah okay. Perfect. :)

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Something I think that should be addressed is what was up with the mods during the last few weeks of the Steam thread in gaming.

They basically forced the thread to go off topic, posting about the Wii U and even changing the thread title around that. Then we're moved to community and we haven't seen heads or tails of a mod.

Deitus

Something I think that should be addressed is what was up with the mods during the last few weeks of the Steam thread in gaming.

They basically forced the thread to go off topic, posting about the Wii U and even changing the thread title around that. Then we're moved to community and we haven't seen heads or tails of a mod.

Zeliard popped in briefly a few days ago to let us know he's busy playing Wii U.

MRORANGE

The plot thickens.

Um... no.

Did you get approval, or is it possible new gaming thread will get closed down anyway?

I'm just going to see what happens, no response from mods means there either not reading this or just don't care and will take action when needed.

if this new thread gets locked from gaming then it would be complete BS to still let this thread be in gaming.

ever since tony got replaced their digital deals have been eh. tony was awesome, still wish he was the rep instead of the lame new guy.(well the one over at CAG, idk if theres a different rep or if there even is one of gaf)

The 10 year club is gonna get pretty large in a few days, with the 10 year anniversary of HL2 coming up on 11/16. I remember how pissed I was when I got home with my box copy and couldn't set up a Steam account to play it for almost half a day. It's crazy to see how far Steam has come over the last 10 years. At the time I had no idea Steam would eventally become my primary source of gaming.

I was in college when HL2 released and couldn't even set up a Steam account from there. Had to wait until I got home in for December vacations before I could play it. Words can't describe how much I hated Steam in those days. Ten years is a long time.

Probably lttp but this 8 minute Far Cry 4 trailer makes it look pretty fun (as long as you're on board with the Ubi open world formula of course)

Jawmuncher

ever since tony got replaced their digital deals have been eh. tony was awesome, still wish he was the rep instead of the lame new guy.(well the one over at CAG, idk if theres a different rep or if there even is one of gaf)

I dont even think the second guy works there.
Amazon just gave up on sales in general for the most part.

Nzyme32

I'm just going to see what happens, no response from mods means there either not reading this or just don't care and will take action when needed.

if this new thread gets locked from gaming then it would be complete BS to still let this thread be in gaming.

If it stuck to just being about news with minor relevant discussion, and they took it down, that would be ridiculous. The only option from there is to literally post a new thread for each bit of steam news. I'm sure the prior option is more preferable to them

Might also want to bear in mind that the sales are coming up, so the sooner the thread is out the less confusion there will he about where and when people can comment on the specific "big sales" in their respective threads rather than the news thread

During winter sales they were pretty spot on with price matching last year for the dailies.
Though it was a little bit behind.

I dont even think the second guy works there.
Amazon just gave up on sales in general for the most part.

Yea, they haven't had a meaningful sale since the end of summer and even then it was the usual games/discount. Thanks, I think I'll save some of the balance then just in case, but keeping expectations to a minimum.

jshackles

Enhanced Steam has been updated to version 7.1. Here are a list of changes found in this release:
  • Added a box to search pages that lets you hide games you own, on your wishlist, or in cart
  • Added ACRTAG warning messages to sub pages
  • Added the ability to remove games from your wishlist from the game's app page
  • Added a button to toggle the "Write a review for this game" section on app pages
  • Fixed drop count calculation to work with new badge page pagination
  • Fixed badge page filtering and sort options to work with pagination
  • Fixed the Library mode to work with the new changes in the Steam web API
  • Fixed a bug in market total calculations introduced by a change in the API
This update is available for Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Opera browsers. Opera users will need to wait until the submitted version has been approved

This will most likely be the last major release of Enhanced Steam in 2014. I'll be working on upgrading our server infrastructure for the upcoming sales. As always, please let me know if you run into any trouble using this version.

Hugstable

Banned
Hoping Winter Sale atleast has a 50% off Shadow of Mordor sale, not super into Lord of the Rings stuff, but would be down to check out the game for the right price. After everything I ended up buying in the Summer Sale, not really much I'm having to save for during this winter sale... but then again maybe I'm just saying that now >_>

For some reason Unity ain't buyable in the Norwegian store. Only the DLC/Season Pass.

This should be a good thing!!! Jk lol :p

I got it from anotehr thread and checked it. I was true. Buying Unity from steam store is not available anymore, only buying seaosn pass is available. WTF UBICRAP AGAIN?

Nzyme32

Enhanced Steam has been updated to version 7.1. Here are a list of changes found in this release:
  • Added a box to search pages that lets you hide games you own, on your wishlist, or in cart
    [*] Added ACRTAG warning messages to sub pages
  • Added a button to toggle the "Write a review for this game" section on app pages
This update is available for Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Opera browsers. Opera users will need to wait until the submitted version has been approved

This will most likely be the last major release of Enhanced Steam in 2014. I'll be working on upgrading our server infrastructure for the upcoming sales. As always, please let me know if you run into any trouble using this version.

That's some good stuff right there. Also I read a SteamDB tweet about valvle changing their API or something which now means they can't update sales prices quickly. Do you think you will have similar issues? I'm wondering how I'll hook into the pricing errors as quickly without such resources

Lomax

The price matching system is at least to some degree automated, so last summer sale it still worked pretty well. Seems a safe bet at least major dailies will get matched. But the promotion from the past years where you got an additional coupon for the January sale isn't expected to return this year.

jshackles

That's some good stuff right there. Also I read a SteamDB tweet about valvle changing their API or something which now means they can't update sales prices quickly. Do you think you will have similar issues? I'm wondering how I'll hook into the pricing errors as quickly without such resources

Yes, I already had to overcome this to make the regional price comparisons work again in the last maintenance release (7.0.1). Basically: you used to be able to query multiple Sub IDs in the API at once, and now you have to do them one at a time. I know that IsThereAnyDeal is also having issues with this.

zkylon

zkylewd
wait they added a campaign thing to cs go? is it singleplayer?

• Added ACRTAG warning messages to sub pages

that's one handsome patch, i love patchnotes 1, 3 and 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom