• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2014 - Ride of the Valkyries

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is really no reason why they don't release the PSP sequels.
SEGA might be afraid of doing a straight port. Even if they bring the assets into full CANVAS, the interface art and low-fidelity textures/models will be more of a turn-off for new players. And this doesn't count how divisive 2 still is, both for debuting on a system many didn't want to buy and for hiding the game behind high-school anime tropes/plotting and a tedious character level-up system. 3 is a much better choice if I had to go with one PSP installment, but who knows how expensive an up-port could be if Little Stone and SEGA decide to combine the maps and rescan artwork/assets for monitor scaling.

tl;dr Neither would be as successful as VC even in the same market circumstances, based on expenses relative to revenue and the games' quality compared to VC.

That said, I would love to eat crow. Speculating right now is premature; we still don't via surveys or general analysis why and through what avenues PC gamers are buying this up.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
it's like the best WWI game ever... the game mode system has you constantly attacking and defending as you try to take trenches from the enemy, while you are defending you will be shot as a deserter if you don't go back to your trench (to prevent ppl trying to stay behind or rambo it) so the way it is set up feels like trench warfare...

the atmosphere is incredible, the gas looks cool (there's like 3 different kinds of gas) and you can call mortars, but at times it's incredibly quiet and you just hear the wind rustling and a loud rifle shot now and then...

the game is made of squadrons of 4 ppl one of which is an NCO and can all air strikes/gas strikes (depending on what squadron it is) and also give coordinates for his squadmates to move to.. if people choose to follow your orders they get bonus points/xp for killing enemies in the area you told them to move to, or if they are following you... another nice feature is that if your NCO is alive you can spawn on them, and they receive xp for doing so...

also it plays songs from the 1910s played on a gramophone during the menu...

edit: also it pulls off being historically 'realistic and accurate' while being a little bit more accessible than something like red orchestra 2 imo

Sweet!
Looks like I'll be picking it up soon.

Kvik

Now that Pillars of Eternity is up for preorder, anyone know when us backers will get our keys?

I'm still on the fence about preordering Pillars. Although it's only R$69,99 on Nuuvem (== $28 USD == $32 AUD)

I might just wait a little longer.

Ozium

just read that last year during Christmas week Verdun had a christmas truce between rounds that was a snowball fight with a soccer ball to kick around... lol.. this game

should come back this year too

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I need to start looking into VPNs for Inquisition, how does that shit work, you use it to unlock a game, and then need to keep it "on" or just for activation?

im not even sure if its the same on Origin

edit: to play Inquisition tuesday I mean, not to buy it, I already bought it on GMG

KiDdYoNe

Anyone who owned DF-9 got a copy of Hack n' Slash, anyone who owned Hack n' Slash got a copy of DF-9. Though I can't recall complaints about Hack n' Slash being incomplete, DF-9 people got something extra for their worries with the game's flailing development.

Damn, when this happened. I have DF-9 copy, but not Hack n' Slash :(

Milamber

Let's do this!

SzlKduO.png

...after I get back from work. ( ゚∩゚)

yuraya

SEGA might be afraid of doing a straight port. Even if they bring the assets into full CANVAS, the interface art and low-fidelity textures/models will be more of a turn-off for new players. And this doesn't count how divisive 2 still is, both for debuting on a system many didn't want to buy and for hiding the game behind high-school anime tropes/plotting and a tedious character level-up system. 3 is a much better choice if I had to go with one PSP installment, but who knows how expensive an up-port could be if Little Stone and SEGA decide to combine the maps and rescan artwork/assets for monitor scaling.

tl;dr Neither would be as successful as VC even in the same market circumstances, based on expenses relative to revenue and the games' quality compared to VC.

That said, I would love to eat crow. Speculating right now is premature; we still don't via surveys or general analysis why and through what avenues PC gamers are buying this up.

I think its just one of those genres that will always have long legs. Kind of how XCOM has been popular all these years. I think VC could be same for PC. I've never played VC2 and I'm sure its not as good as VC because of the limitations but..if Sega does a decent job on the port and the price is right I'm sure the game will be well received. And I doubt these ports are costing these companies all that much $ anyways. Even if they aren't very profitable at launch they'll surely make more their money back n than some after couple steam sales. It would be kinda of messed up if they didn't bring VC2/3 over to pc. Especially since the psp is like dead discontinued device. I'm sure Sega wants to preserve its games and PC is best place to do it. Hopefully they do.

Khronico

just read that last year during Christmas week Verdun had a christmas truce between rounds that was a snowball fight with a soccer ball to kick around... lol.. this game

should come back this year too

Ozium please, my wallet is empty right now, don't make me buy another game.

Xanathus

I need to start looking into VPNs for Inquisition, how does that shit work, you use it to unlock a game, and then need to keep it "on" or just for activation?

im not even sure if its the same on Origin

edit: to play Inquisition tuesday I mean, not to buy it, I already bought it on GMG
There is a thread about doing this on Gaming Discussion, search for Origin India.

I think its just one of those genres that will always have long legs. Kind of how XCOM has been popular all these years. I think VC could be same for PC. I've never played VC2 and I'm sure its not as good as VC because of the limitations but..if Sega does a decent job on the port and the price is right I'm sure the game will be well received. And I doubt these ports are costing these companies all that much $ anyways. Even if they aren't very profitable at launch they'll surely make more their money back n than some after couple steam sales. It would be kinda of messed up if they didn't bring VC2/3 over to pc. Especially since the psp is like dead discontinued device. I'm sure Sega wants to preserve its games and PC is best place to do it. Hopefully they do.
Ideally SEGA would pony up the money and get these games reworked for STEAM, but the investors usually don't wish to break even, they want good profit margins. Let's wait and see if the other names being thrown around, like Platinum stuff and Xbox games we cannot emulate, do well first. SEGA could also push a sequel port alongside a new game for PC/PS4/XB1 if they wanted to increase launch presence.

Hm... how is Verdun nowadays? I bought it last year when it was on sale and played it only a couple of times. At that time, it felt kinda janky, but seemed to have potential and I hoped it'll emulate some aspects of the shooting in Red Orchestra. Admittedly, I have a bias for Red Orchestra 2, moreso Rising Storm because of the more... "easier" maps, the Eastern Front was depressing and the difficulty of the maps reflected that, heh.

Dr.Acula

Banned
ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Full Mojo Rampage -- MB-0991E96742AF3CA5 - Taken by Milamber. 3 entrants total.

t1415860345z1.png

Milamber

Did I miss something or is IdleMaster not checking for cards now. It keeps saying zero games found even though I got like 11 games to drop.

EDIT: Fixed it. Looks like I had to download another updated IdleMaster.

Ozium

Hm... how is Verdun nowadays? I bought it last year when it was on sale and played it only a couple of times. At that time, it felt kinda janky, but seemed to have potential and I hoped it'll emulate some aspects of the shooting in Red Orchestra. Admittedly, I have a bias for Red Orchestra 2, moreso Rising Storm because of the more... "easier" maps, the Eastern Front was depressing and the difficulty of the maps reflected that, heh.

They added ballistics to the weapons so you have to lead your target and adjust for gravity now like in RO2, animations have been improved, they added chemical warfare (with 4 different tpes of gas) and more squads/weapons... and new maps since last year.. I think their projected full release date is february 2015 (it's EA now)

they also added an australian server due to popular demand lol

edit: also each map has a totally different feel to it, based on actual locations from the war

Xanathus

Ugh this is annoying, Far Cry 4 and AC:Unity are a full $60 on Steam store but all of the other older Ubi games have lower regional pricing for me, around 50% cheaper than the US price. I was hoping that I could get it for the same price as Origin India. It's even $60 on my region's Origin store.

Shadownet

Banned
Damn, and remember this guy has a damn powerful pc :/

http://youtu.be/SgpzT5V5Mgs
Man today has not been a nice day, I've been throwing up so much, I spent half the day in the bathroom and then I just saw this video and it made me feel even worst. How can a series I once loved so much gone so wrong.

Its sad that in order to run this game beautifully you need a monster PC and even then its still look bad compared to what would be getting with other open world games. It seem like Ubisoft forgot that it should be quality over quantity.

(i.e. no more accidentally jumping to your death as a result of wanting to quickly get down from somewhere and combat encounters are not as easy as they once were).
This happened more in AC2 and Brotherhood quite often. Oh hey let jump from this building to the next, and missed! *drop to your death* at least Unity did something right

Kuroyume

Banned
It seem like Ubisoft forgot that it should be quality over quantity.

Ummm... They forgot that like more than a decade ago, or they never learned. They released yearly sequels of Splinter Cell, other Tom Clancy games, and Prince of Persia since forever until AC took their place.

Shadownet

Banned
Ummm... They forgot that like more than a decade ago, or they never learned. They released yearly sequels of Splinter Cell, other Tom Clancy games, and Prince of Persia since forever until AC took their place.
Well yes there is that. But its sad to see that the quantity over quality approach is in the game itself.

Aka the obscene amount of civilians that does absolutely nothing but as a way to immerse you in the game. But when the game is running so poorly and badly optimized. All those glitches and pop-in ruin the immersion anyway.

Well.. I guess I can always go back to playing AC2..

I don't get the Ubisoft hate. I have been playing this great recent Ubisoft game for the past few days

called Child Of Light. Hopefully AssCreed and whatever other garbage they are pushing out are used to fund more games made with UbiArt engine because that's the one that could actually used to do something interesting.

Milamber

Ubisoft has been slowly eroding consumer services every game they release and their games still sell pretty well. They will continue to do this until there is an actual problem in the sales of their games.

Vuze

Ugh this is annoying, Far Cry 4 and AC:Unity are a full $60 on Steam store but all of the other older Ubi games have lower regional pricing for me, around 50% cheaper than the US price. I was hoping that I could get it for the same price as Origin India. It's even $60 on my region's Origin store.
Yeah sucks, I think if the PC version of FC4 is solid, I'd have gotten it at launch for 30 bucks or so, it's been a while since I played my last FPS and first-person-open world game, FC4 seems top notch. But let's see... maybe there is another 100$ of microtransaction shit.
But did Unity sell well?
I wonder too. I bet it did, pre-orders must have been crazy after all the hype.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom