• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2014 - Ride of the Valkyries

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
Heh, I still love ya, zky. No worries there. : )

I think the thing I might not be getting across to you is that I enjoy RPGs where the focus is player/NPC interaction. My issue with NV isn't that it doesn't handle exploration like an ES game. It's that it wants to be an interaction-focused RPG, but a lot of the characters, their personalities and issues, just don't feel terribly compelling to me. The sort of smirky, off-kilter feel to the narrative doesn't help either - it's like the authors are saying, "We're not taking any of this very seriously, and you probably shouldn't either". If I'm not emotionally invested in the NPCs or the setting, then I'm not feeling a lot of satisfaction when I help those NPCs resolve their problems. So for me to enjoy NV more, the game would need to have either more characters I genuinely like and care about, or be stronger in other areas (like the "Elder Scrolls"-esque aspects you mentioned). Either one would do. Right now, what's there is a decent enough game - I apparently sank 248 hours into it, so obviously I enjoyed it well enough, and I don't feel like the time was wasted - but it's never going to affect me in the same way it does you.
nah it's ok i get that. it's fair if you don't like the writing style or the characters. i think they're great but u know whatevs!

ivJetiLp1Abe0.gif

anywho what's always been really weird for me is the "smirky, off-kilter feel to the narrative". i never felt the story didn't take itself seriously, what with the whole theme of american interventionism and crap. i think they really should've de-goofed up caesar's legion look but even them were taken pretty seriously

also it says 238 hours on my steam thing so maybe you played it more lol. tho actually i played it pirated first for like 150 more hours :p

had to buy like 10 new vegas ultimate gifts to wash away the guilt :>

I personally think that one of the most on-point explanations would be that Bethesda are damn good at macro world design, whereas Obsidian excells at micro world design. Every single detail in New Vegas just... Makes sense. Settlements are placed believeably, near stuff like springs, water sources etcetera, and not in the crater of a bloody live nuke.

And ofcourse, included in this micro-design would be quest-design and writing. It's just leagues ahead. Bethesda is also very good at consistency, which Obsidian isn't great at, but that's alright when your lows only dip slightly below Bethesda's, but your highs are up to the stratosphere :p
i mean i've never been blown away with the worlds bethesda makes (except morrowind), mostly cos i think they look pretty unoriginal and there's nothing interesting to do in them (i mostly play games for story so u know...), but i guess that's what they see in em. but yea i think the way you put it is pretty correct

also gross at the saoirse part ¬¬

i am having very low FPS in Evolve (15 FPS )
and i turned every thing to low

is this game only online game ?

I checked mine and I was getting pretty much 60 FPS the whole time outside of a dip here and there...i5-4690K & R9 290X

My problem is that so far in the 3 matches I've tried it's just everyone running around going in opposite directions so once the monster sees you there's no one to help

L.O.R.D

I checked mine and I was getting pretty much 60 FPS the whole time outside of a dip here and there...i5-4690K & R9 290X

My problem is that so far in the 3 matches I've tried it's just everyone running around going in opposite directions so once the monster sees you there's no one to help

oh, i found that i was running the game using intel HD instead of nvidia

Tizoc

Does Flatout 2 not recognize DS4? I have my DS4 installed and I can skip the intro videos but once I reach the main menu, the controller is not recognized.

L.O.R.D

important question
i know there is big risk of ban if i buy any game using VPN
i live in saudi arabia , and we are using US $ to buy from steam
the same prices of USA
some games like AC and the crew is not visible in my country
if i switch to US VPN
or added ?cc=us to the link of the game store , are they gonna notice that ?

oh, i found that i was running the game using intel HD instead of nvidia

ahh...ok, that explains that then

Evolve does seem like it would be fun but only if you basically have a core set of players that you group with so it just doesn't turn into 1v1v1v1v1 instead of 4v1...I have my doubts that random groups will lead to much happiness but just my opinion

didamangi

important question
i know there is big risk of ban if i buy any game using VPN
i live in saudi arabia , and we are using US $ to buy from steam
the same prices of USA
some games like AC and the crew is not visible in my country
if i switch to US VPN
or added ?cc=us to the link of the game store , are they gonna notice that ?

Yup, that's bannable. You'd be better off buying steam keys or trade tf2 keys for steam gifts for games that aren't visible in your region.

Almost everyone on that first page is from GAF :))
You guys are preventive me from getting that one dollar for Valkyria Chronicles, hope you're all happy with yourselves.
Hahaha didn't know it was you. Shit was lagging so bad I tried listing it 20 times.
Yea it seems crazy today, I listed mine before bed last night so it was at least smooth then.

And I realize I'm missing a large portion of GAF on my friends list. Whoever wants to be buddies can just add me, it's listed in my GAF profile.

iosefe

i have a 50% Adult Swim games coupon.

it works with sale prices, so Super House of Dead Ninja is 69 cents.

who wants the coupon?

Annubis

my sister, who just started Cook, Serve, Delicious! today got a perfect day before I did

I got a perfect day on the second day =/

I think it's later in the game, when the upgraded meals become crazy complicated that I'll have trouble doing perfect days.

I dread the day I'll have fully upgraded hamburger.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
OH RIGHT now I remembered, I had actually made it to the monster X boss, that's where I was stuck for ages. The labyrinth music was basically engraved in my brain (although that's not entirely bad).

And I even had the machine gun, still got rekt. Although if you stick with the playthrough, you won't be sorry you passed on that trade.

Yeah I can't listen to the labyrinth music without getting traumatic flashbacks. And the only reason I passed up the machine gun was to get the spur, but now I'm thinking it's not worth it at all.

Tizoc

Has anyone encountered framerate issues with Verigl's Downfall?
Main game was steady and smooth 60 FPS, but I noticed a few dips during the first chapter.

didamangi

even if i didn't use the VPN ? just the CC=US ?

If you just use the cc=us you shouldn't be able to buy the game though, right? Steam checks your IP on checkout if I'm not mistaken. If you can buy the game without vpn and just us the cc=us then I guess there's no harm.

Maniac

Banned
People are weird.
Yep...
bruh, you have a deathwish?
Possibly.
Seriously though, Olsen has a superb bum. And utterly gorgeous eyes.
Jase, if you're reading this - I'm sorry, but I think she may be the Saoirse for me, you know?, also applies to you, Shadow. Hence why I said her bum be gut.
Alien Cranium would be a good band name.
I think it would be an incredible band name.
nah it's ok i get that. it's fair if you don't like the writing style or the characters. i think they're great but u know whatevs!
ivJetiLp1Abe0.gif

anywho what's always been really weird for me is the "smirky, off-kilter feel to the narrative". i never felt the story didn't take itself seriously, what with the whole theme of american interventionism and crap. i think they really should've de-goofed up caesar's legion look but even them were taken pretty seriously

i mean i've never been blown away with the worlds bethesda makes (except morrowind), mostly cos i think they look pretty unoriginal and there's nothing interesting to do in them (i mostly play games for story so u know...), but i guess that's what they see in em. but yea i think the way you put it is pretty correct

also gross at the saoirse part ¬¬
That GIF just made my night much better :')

As for NV; I agree, I think the characters were excellently written. A lot of them are very deep, even some of the ones with very few voice lines. So much backstory and lore, you'd think it was a TES game in turbo-mode.

I loved the characters in NV, they were superb. And yeah, what I mean is that broadly speaking, Bethesda makes good, open worlds with lots to explore, but they're often somewhat generic and lacking in intricate details, whereas in New Vegas, you have details in every single nook and cranny, and they're all great and sensible.

I personally think the world-crafting and designing Obsidian did was leagues ahead of Bethesda's latest efforts.

... And I personally think they did OK balancing the goofy and the serious when it came to the legion and the likes, although OK isn't the very height of praise, hah.

About the Saoirse part...
Well, yeah, it was kind of supposed to be. I was referencing this lovely bloke.
yeah, sure it's not professionally calibrated, but it works fine for most of the games, so i usually adjust ingame brightness myself, but for the evil within, the contrast is really extreme no matter how I adjust it.
I'd recommend resetting to factory if possible, and then trying to adjust bit by bit afterwards. Or you could get a colour-calibratery thing from amazon, they're dang cheap.
Why are csgos servers so awful sometimes, I can play many other online games without them randomly turning into lag fests. I just played an entire game where it listed my ping as 1500 lol :(
Well... 64 tick was mindblowing back when Sauce was really new, and when GoldSauce was pretty old aswell, ofcourse. But nowadays, it doesn't hold up that well. And to make matters worse, Valve have been having a lot of issues with DDOSing and shit, because... Some people just want to watch the Valvo burn!
Those cheeky cunts

Why are csgos servers so awful sometimes, I can play many other online games without them randomly turning into lag fests. I just played an entire game where it listed my ping as 1500 lol :(

L.O.R.D

ok , after i switched to nvidia card , the game play like BEAST
i evolved twice
start running around the map like crazy , and all the hunters are following me all the time
after 5 minutes , i cornered them in a Swamp and there is some kind of large beast there
and killed them all
feel good

Shadownet

Banned
Seriously though, Olsen has a superb bum. And utterly gorgeous eyes.
Jase, if you're reading this - I'm sorry, but I think she may be the Saoirse for me, you know?, also applies to you, Shadow. Hence why I said her bum be gut.

Find your own waifu!

Also yeah the moment I get into a match, it crashed.

MayMay

Banned
I saw you launch it and quit... Hmm. Didn't realize crashes were an issue. Me, Ezio and Sajjaja aren't having those types of issues, just matchmaking problems and getting booted from lobbies randomly.

It crashed on me when I had Dxtory (recording software) running so maybe there's a software conflict

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
I know it's alpha and all but Evolve has some long ass load times. Like I played 2 matches of for glory on Smash 3DS before everyone finally loaded

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom