• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2014 - Ride of the Valkyries

Status
Not open for further replies.

chronomac

CpgrKM9.png

I'm amused by the trolls on Steam - just had a Russian user who spammed me with a bunch of gibberish before trying to sucker me in with the "view this image" scam.

What a joker.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Spare:

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Shadow Ops: Red Mercury -- MB-AB46CA544B274640 - Taken by Patison

chronomac

Someone was asking about Amphora reviews earlier.

Thanks.

I found this part interesting:

The scenes take slightly too long to solve to avoid interrupting the flow of the narrative but often don’t involve the player in a complex enough way to avoid feeling like action for the sake of it. With that in mind I found a second playthrough once I knew all of the solutions far more pleasant, because it simply flowed better – a very odd sensation given it’s a puzzle game.

I think I'll pick it up on a sale.

Currently downloading PES 2015 on Steam. Im not sure what to excpect. I love FIFA, but have barely touched FIFA15 and Ive never played PES.

It seems this year PES is a very good game. That' great, and it will force EA Sports to be more audacious next year.

Edit: wait, do we get the next-gen version on PC, or is this a PS360 port?

Jawmuncher

It's weird to have a game that works perfectly fine except for when you close it.
Valkyria Chronicles does this to me every time. It informs me that it has stopped working.
It's not a big deal all I need to do is ALT+TAB to it and close program. But it's just odd regardless since everything else has no problems.

didamangi

I'm amused by the trolls on Steam - just had a Russian user who spammed me with a bunch of gibberish before trying to sucker me in with the "view this image" scam.

What a joker.

The old printscrn/steamcornmunity huh?

If it's someone low level with no games or private profile i just ignore their add request right away now.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The old printscrn/steamcornmunity huh?

If it's someone low level with no games or private profile i just ignore their add request right away now.

Yeah, even having a few common friends isn't enough for me these days, unless they're GAFers/IRL friends.

Turfster

Bloodnet is hosted on the slowest steam server ever or something.
I'm getting barely 10k/s from it, where the rest of the games from the bundle I downloaded went 1M/s+

Gamersgate is having a Tower Defense Weekend 75% off
(Always check the DRM tag on Gamersgate)

It's weird to have a game that works perfectly fine except for when you close it.
Valkyria Chronicles does this to me every time. It informs me that it has stopped working.
It's not a big deal all I need to do is ALT+TAB to it and close program. But it's just odd regardless since everything else has no problems.
I get that a lot with new vegas.

I was there myself a few weeks ago. Then the drive I drive I reinstalled Steam to, which had had well over 2TB of other stuff, also died. I lost ~4.6TB of data in the space of about two weeks.

Fun fact: Today we determined that Jasec would need 9 Terabytes of disk space to hold his entire Steam library.

I haven't owned 9TB of storage in my life.

The last bit of biting satire is the frightening part. In my best Russel Crowe impression, it seems to me that these games are trending towards becoming DLC delivery devices.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

Oh man, this looks pretty good.

Man, 2015 is gonna be amazing for Steam...
You heard it first here:
Sega brings complete Atlus RPG collection, Resonance of Fate and Skies of Arcadia (maybe Vanquish and Bayonetta as well).
Capcom finally ports Dragon's Dogma, and just so it doesn't feel alone, gives us Okami HDD and Breath of Fire Collection.
Squeenix delivers FF5, FF6 and FF Tactics, runs out of Android FF games to port, does Chrono Trigger and Dragon Quest games as well.
Bamco releases most of Tales of... games, manages to sneak release Dark Souls 3 for Christmas...
Finally Koei Tecmo convinces GUST to port all of Atelier games to PC.
EA finally kills off Origin, releases complete back catalogue on Steam, gives free Steam keys for all of Origin purchases.

Knurek please :(

Bundlestars Wayback bundle
Price: 3.59€
  • 7th Legion
  • Shadow Ops: Red Mercury
  • Bloodnet
  • Gunship!
  • Rex Nebular and the Cosmic Gender Benders
  • Slave Zero
  • Sword of the Samurai

I've been waiting for Sword of the Samurai to be bundled, that price is much better than the $7 it's being sold for on Steam. Shame that the bundle doesn't include Dragonsphere and Darklands though, would have been nice to round out the Classic Adventure Pack.

it's going to be hard to decide whether my goty this year is going to be re4 ultimate hd or divinity os, valkyria chronicles is bretty good too, probably my third favourite game this year

also kinda funny, if someone took a screencap of my post and sent it to me last year i would've laughed my ass off just by reading re4 hd and valkyria chronicles on pc
ftYIg.png

I see he is still mispronouncing 'melee.'

Getting hyped for the game.

i'm still cautiously optimistic because i don't want to get burned but yeah, we may be looking at my 2015 goty right there (though there's mgs5 and probably bannerlord too that year, gnnnnn).

Phawx

Cross posting from indie-game thread. The Joylancer: Legendary Motor Knight can be found on Steam here:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/315540/

My Let's Play of The Joylancer: Legendary Motor Knight.

http://youtu.be/F-F31fwTkWg

Quick Impressions:

Joylancer is interesting. I'm not quite sure what the art style has to do with the mechanics of the game. Not that they need to be mutually exclusive, it's just that I wasn't expecting a skill-based action game. In terms of comparisons, Joylancer takes a bit of inspiration from Devil May Cry 4. Specifically the Red Queen from DMC4. You can, and always should, rev (like torquing the accelerator on a motorcycle) yourself up to do a whole host of different things. As of right now there are four tiers to revving. Each tier either allows you to string longer combos as well as do more damage or to jump higher.

Additionally, revving also acts as a parry to enemy attacks. So again, forever and always, rev it. Not that revving takes much time, but it's a bit too much of an I-win button at the moment.

Ultimately, when you start getting into the groove of Joylancer, things really start to click. It's possible to almost scroll across a level horizontally via pressing jump and attack one after the other in quick succession. Popping and enemy into the air via rev-jumping, attacking a few times and then drilling down feels really good. But it still feels like something is missing. Something isn't completely gelling and I honestly can't articulate what that is. Maybe it's the lack of a combo-meter? Perhaps revving is too OP? Execution surely isn't the problem, because after ten minutes I felt pretty skilled. Joylancer is scheduled to come out of Early Access in January so I'll wait and see what other updates happen and also do additional Let's Play if there is a significant changelog.

Good Stuff

• Mechanics are solid
  • Frenetic action
  • Lovely visuals (including something of a super gameboy color swap feature)
  • Funny dialog and text

Bad Stuff
  • Loading times can be unusually long, even just switching visual styles has a notable pause.
  • There are still game-breaking bugs or un-escapable level design(which is mitigated by the Reset Level option in the pause menu)

Bottom Line: Shows a lot of promise but it still needs to bake more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom