• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2014 - Ride of the Valkyries

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
oh shit Valkyria has dual audio? first FF13 now valk

I assume "refresh rate" on the FPS limit means 60fps if its 1080p 60hz?
yea :>

dual audio's the best

Wrong again.
Uncharted never felt indie-ish.
Again, Uncharted 2 is the worst of the series.
Uncharted 3 brings it back in and takes what good ideas may have been present but poorly executed in Uncharted 2 and does a much better job with them bringing the overall package closer to Uncharted and restoring the franchise's pedigree.

And plot holes?
Plot holes in 3?
And yet you praise 2 as a milestone?
BLUE FUCKING SMURFS ON STEROIDS FROM ANOTHER DIMENSION.
personally i really dislike the uncharted series because of how rigid their "platforming" is

like the combat is actually a lot of fun and you can get creative trying to do stealth and just solve things out on the fly, much like the last of us. the ai in neither game is amazing but they're functional enough that cool stuff happens regularly if you play with what you're provided

but i found uncharted 2 to be specially egregious with the climbing with like placing perfectly reasonable-to-climb stuff that you couldn't actually jump to. also yea, space alien ancient race or something. nazis were bad enough but yeah, wtf.

1.0 ran like crap on my computer, 1.5 (or 1.6) added like 10, 15 fps.
oh yea, i don't have such a memory but i guess you're right

ArjanN

yeah, ass unity is gorgeous

i really hope they get around to fixing everything

Even if they fix all the bugs, IMO Assassins Creed has tons of inherent design problems. Like how everything is streamlined to a laughable degree, and they don't know how to design a mission that's any fun. The world design looks great, but it seems like they have no idea what to do with it, or maybe not enough time to figure it out because they have to rush the next one out the door.

I tried this fix and the Flawless Widescreen fix that came out after, but does the cheat engine fix work with the newest version of TEW? Flawless Widescreen doesn't work anymore.

You know that the patch actually removes the black bars properly without reducing the FOV as it was the case with the console commands.

Or do you just want an even wider FOV?

BUT WHERE ARE THE CARDS
TacticalEspionageExpertDR3-EN-C-UE.jpg

i don't know m8, but i sure want one of that scene where the hostage grabs raiden's crotch if they ever post the hd collection
also i wish kojima had ported it before GZ, now i'm gonna need to buy peace walker on my ps3 before playing it, I just can't deal with 20fps (i guess that means no ac unity for me either ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°))

Jawmuncher

i don't know m8, but i sure want one of that scene where the hostage grabs raiden's crotch if they ever post the hd collection
also i wish kojima had ported it before GZ, now i'm gonna need to buy peace walker on my ps3 before playing it, I just can't deal with 20fps (i guess that means no ac unity for me either ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°))

Honestly regardless what anyone says.
Peace Walker really isn't all that important.
Reading the sum up is all you need. Unless you have a friend to play through it with I wouldn't jump through hoops to play it before GZ.

Dr Dogg

Still waiting for that cheap price to play it.
Would have bought the CE for 40 on Xbone had it been available.

I'd imagine after the eariler Weekend deal, earlier technical issues and now all,the DLC is out that a 40 or if Ubi are being generous 50% discount might be on the cards for the Wimter Sale. I got close to 60 hours out of it (alright take away 5 for teething issues and testing) but I definitely got my money's worth.

Brofist.jpg

I was a bit disappointed by the DLC though.

I still haven't finished it but yeah know what you mean. The opening mission where you have to sneak your way up through the building, using brute force, stealth or hacks then escaping on top of the moving train looked like it was going to be full on new Splinter Cell style but the next couple of missions felt really flat. I did preffer T-Bome as a Character though. Can't wait for Watch Dogs 2. If AC II and Far Cry 3 are anything to go by then we could be in for a treat.

Jawmuncher

I'd imagine after the eariler Weekend deal, earlier technical issues and now all,the DLC is out that a 40 or if Ubi are being generous 50% discount might be on the cards for the Wimter Sale. I got close to 60 hours out of it (alright take away 5 for teething issues and testing) but I definitely got my money's worth.

Hope it comes out as a surprise further discount like Blacklist did.
Remember that surprised everyone.

-----

I still haven't played Child of Light or Valiant Hearts.
But everyone said those were really good.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Hope it comes out as a surprise further discount like Blacklist did.
Remember that surprised everyone.

one bombed, the other didnt. hence the differences in fast discounts

I too am waiting for a decent discount on Watch Dogs :(

Honestly regardless what anyone says.
Peace Walker really isn't all that important.
Reading the sum up is all you need. Unless you have a friend to play through it with I wouldn't jump through hoops to play it before GZ.

will do that
i got spoiled the PW plot twist in a filename thread on 8chins anyway
thanks

Maniac

Banned
Styx is nothing like Assassins Creed. Why not suggest Street Fighter 4 while youre at it

Well, there's little to compare it to! Very few things in this world are as large, loudly marketed, badly designed, awfully written and incredibly dull. Finding something to compare it to is a tall order. :[

zkylon

zkylewd
Even if they fix all the bugs, IMO Assassins Creed has tons of inherent design problems. Like how everything is streamlined to a laughable degree, and they don't know how to design a mission that's any fun. The world design looks great, but it seems like they have no idea what to do with it, or maybe not enough time to figure it out because they have to rush the next one out the door.
i don't think streamlining is necessarily the problem, i think they have a problem in that none of their systems have any depth to them

things like bombs get a lot of "screentime" but they're seldom useful compared to very overpowered things in the game like killing everyone on just running away. you can throw gold at people but there's really not much of a reason to do so.

and so on and so on

i think they should look to games like mark of the ninja in how making tons of mobility and options strong and interesting by forcing you to make use of them and also by making them the central part of the game

and yeah, assassins creed should really demand a bit more of you for traversal. it's 90% of what you do in the game, so it should be interesting.

it's complicated, they kinda forced themselves into this spot in which being crazy overpowered in how you do traversal and combat is expected of the games but at the same time it really allows for very little progression in design because you're never making any choices.

I still haven't played Child of Light or Valiant Hearts.
But everyone said those were really good.

i didn't!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Well, there's little to compare it to! Very few things in this world are as large, loudly marketed, badly designed, awfully written and incredibly dull. Finding something to compare it to is a tall order. :[

if only there was a recently released game that looked like a fantasy take on assassins creed, that took place in some sort of upper earth...no, not upper... maybe more in the middle

edit: oh never mind, you arent talking about the gameplay or looks, you are just being a smartass. gotcha :p

Dr Dogg

I really want to make a joke about The Evil Within but I will probally get lynched but the rabble in here.

Anyway I make no secrets about my love of Ubi-jank. Plus looking at my purchases this year I'm a combination of darling that gives indies and crowd funded projects love to the corporate shill who is destorying this industry. Let's just say I have eclectic tastes.

Maniac

Banned
i don't think streamlining is necessarily the problem, i think they have a problem in that none of their systems have any depth to them

things like bombs get a lot of "screentime" but they're seldom useful compared to very overpowered things in the game like killing everyone on just running away. you can throw gold at people but there's really not much of a reason to do so.

and so on and so on

i think they should look to games like mark of the ninja in how making tons of mobility and options strong and interesting by forcing you to make use of them and also by making them the central part of the game

and yeah, assassins creed should really demand a bit more of you for traversal. it's 90% of what you do in the game, so it should be interesting.

it's complicated, they kinda forced themselves into this spot in which being crazy overpowered in how you do traversal and combat is expected of the games but at the same time it really allows for very little progression in design because you're never making any choices.
The design of AC leads me to believe Ubisoft execs have a massive whiteboard, which they want the devs to completely fill with individual features, with accompanying checkboxes - - Because that's all the games are at this point, or atleast what they've become.

They've not really evolved much (atleast in any meaningful way) since AC 1 / 2, and they're as shallow as ever at this point, imo.

Atleast we get comedic relief from the bugs in Unity. :p
if only there was a recently released game that looked like a fantasy take on assassins creed, that took place in some sort of upper earth...no, not upper... maybe more in the middle

edit: oh never mind, you arent talking about the gameplay or looks, you are just being a smartass. gotcha :p
To some extent, yes, I'm being a smartass. Atleast Shadow of Mordor is fun and varied. And has some depth :p

But hey, Unity looks purdy.

so im planning to do a giveaway pretty soon... it shall be awesome(It ain't gonna be some huge ass giveaway, like 8 copies of the witcher and 4 evil withins, just a small giveaway with a nice little twist that I'll enjoy :3 ) i really need that company to send that cash to my paypal already so i can do it.

iosefe

Some people encountered that Ass Unity runs better when disconnecting your PC from the internet. DRM slowing down a game yet again, lol:

http://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/2m7ryt/ac_unity_fix_disconnect_your_internet/

Looks like people discovered this on PS4 first.

uplay strikes again
so im planning to do a giveaway pretty soon... it shall be awesome(It ain't gonna be some huge ass giveaway, like 8 copies of the witcher and 4 evil withins, just a small giveaway with a nice little twist that I'll enjoy :3 ) i really need that company to send that cash to my paypal already so i can do it.
hype!

Watch Dogs is probally going in my SteamGAF and GAF GOTY nominations. Come at me haters!

I could see it... I got to play all of 5 minutes of the tutorial before it decided to crash on me for some reason... :\ But I liked the 5 minutes I played.

Still waiting for that cheap price to play it.
Would have bought the CE for 40 on Xbone had it been available.

Errmmm, the Steam DDE was $40 a few weeks ago.

Flawless Widescreen nor the old Cheat Engine fix work for TEW's FOV. Damn it.

Guess I'll wait till either are updated for it.

Now you know what I've been bitching about on and off in here. I've asked about new solutions in here on and off for a week or more... but no response.

Best I could find was that if you downlevel the exe in the game directory to 1.0 somehow, the flawless widescreen fix works again (not sure if it removes the patch then); the posts seemed to indicate flawless widescreen should be able to easily fix their support, but that the dude who runs it was swamped and the flawless website was offline.

Too many good games came out this year for Ubisoft to squeak in at any capacity.

No.

I barely have 6 GOTY candidates and that's WITH re-releases from consoles from last year.

I wanted a wider FOV is all.

Me too. The camera is too fucking close... I need it to take about 5 steps back and I'll be happy. Shame they disabled the cvar for changing FOV and didn't implement a FOV slider with the black bar option and 60fps option.

Blizzard

Banned
Is there a way to get to Greenlight from the client now? I can't find any link on the main Steam page of any sort. I wonder if this is associated with games being greenlighted more slowly and transitioning to individual storefronts or whatever.

*edit* Ah, it's "COMMUNITY -> GREENLIGHT" using the dropdown menu at the top. I'm dumb.

Now you know what I've been bitching about on and off in here. I've asked about new solutions in here on and off for a week or more... but no response.

Best I could find was that if you downlevel the exe in the game directory to 1.0 somehow, the flawless widescreen fix works again (not sure if it removes the patch then); the posts seemed to indicate flawless widescreen should be able to easily fix their support, but that the dude who runs it was swamped and the flawless website was offline.

Me too. The camera is too fucking close... I need it to take about 5 steps back and I'll be happy. Shame they disabled the cvar for changing FOV and didn't implement a FOV slider with the black bar option and 60fps option.
This really sucks because the only way I can actually think of to get the old exe is either buy a retail copy (I have no optical drive) or piracy. Fuck.

I have no clue why they didn't add a FOV slider with the last update, but now I'm waiting before I can finish the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom