• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2014 - Ride of the Valkyries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawmuncher

This really sucks because the only way I can actually think of to get the old exe is either buy a retail copy (I have no optical drive) or piracy. Fuck.

I have no clue why they didn't add a FOV slider with the last update, but now I'm waiting before I can finish the game.

Is it piracy to get a older version of a game you own digitally?
That's some philosophical stuff right there.

contain your hype. it will be 1 good game(depending on how much I'm sent will depend on what game it is) with 4-5 shitty games. they shall all be marked down as a mystery and it won't be a free for all. I will bask in the disappointment of the "winners" that chose wrong. I actually got the idea while chatting with Pupo.

Omega

Banned
Ok, UBI just patched out a major bug in Unity

bTGthi0.jpg

lmao

good to know where their priorities are

Dr Dogg

I'm gonna call the Queen on you.

I better watch out seeing as she knows how to use Twitter now.

I could see it... I got to play all of 5 minutes of the tutorial before it decided to crash on me for some reason... :\ But I liked the 5 minutes I played.

Well it certainly runs better than it did at launch for me. There's definitely some missed opportunited, the story does go through a lull in the middle and the side stuff might be a bit much for some people but going for a stoll around Chicago and checking out the lamdmarks had a certain something about it.

Ozium

contain your hype. it will be 1 good game(depending on how much I'm sent will depend on what game it is) with 4-5 shitty games. they shall all be marked down as a mystery and it won't be a free for all. I will bask in the disappointment of the "winners" that chose wrong. I actually got the idea while chatting with Pupo.

if one of those games is Grass Simulator then all will be praised

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
There's not much he could do really.

It was Fate.
*drum noises*

It's apparent were not going to get a response from the mods.

Proposed thread for Friday:

Thread will be posted in Gaming, we will see how it does, the STEAM | November thread will run normally with all the things you expect from a monthly thread. If Steam News catches on and works we can start to think about relaxing the rules for the Steam Montlhy thread about trading and posting Steam stats.

Hopefulyl most people will support this new thread as it is a supplement to this thread.and relies on you helping the new thread out to make sure its on-topic and relevant.
Is this still happening?
I do kinda like this idea honestly.

Something I think that should be addressed is what was up with the mods during the last few weeks of the Steam thread in gaming.

They basically forced the thread to go off topic, posting about the Wii U and even changing the thread title around that. Then we're moved to community and we haven't seen heads or tails of a mod.
*puts tinfoil hat*

What's wrong with Grandia II? Just asking because I was thinking of tracking down a hard copy to play through. If it comes to Steam then I'll get that one as well.
IIRC there were a lot of non fixed issues with the game even back when it was released 12 years ago, so not sure it'd work properly on a modern machine.

Enhanced Steam has been updated to version 7.1. Here are a list of changes found in this release:
  • Added a box to search pages that lets you hide games you own, on your wishlist, or in cart
  • Added ACRTAG warning messages to sub pages
  • Added the ability to remove games from your wishlist from the game's app page
  • Added a button to toggle the "Write a review for this game" section on app pages
  • Fixed drop count calculation to work with new badge page pagination
  • Fixed badge page filtering and sort options to work with pagination
  • Fixed the Library mode to work with the new changes in the Steam web API
  • Fixed a bug in market total calculations introduced by a change in the API
This update is available for Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Opera browsers. Opera users will need to wait until the submitted version has been approved

This will most likely be the last major release of Enhanced Steam in 2014. I'll be working on upgrading our server infrastructure for the upcoming sales. As always, please let me know if you run into any trouble using this version.
This is mighty useful, thanks for all the awesomeness Aquaman :D

so is saints row IV a good game? never played a saints row game before

just trying to decide if I should drop an extra <$6 for it since i'm paying above the average for the humble bundle anyways because I want blackguards
SRIV is excellent, but if you care about story you'll miss some things if you start with it.

I would recommend grabbing SR3 over IV. I don't know, I liked IV, but I got bored of it pretty quickly. It felt like a not so great mix of SR3 and Prototype 2.
I loved 3 and IV, in the end I think I liked IV more because using the powers was really fun.

not as well as Valkyria Chronicles

tumblr_m3rtyerfHZ1qir45xo1_500.gif
Wyatt dropping some bombs.
This makes me want a Steam version of Cones of Dunshire.

I was there myself a few weeks ago. Then the drive I drive I reinstalled Steam to, which had had well over 2TB of other stuff, also died. I lost ~4.6TB of data in the space of about two weeks.
Man, that's a LOT of Salsa Ramon photos and videos.

Umh, no.
Uncharted 1 was pretty good and something new, very Indie-ish.
Uncharted 2 was probably the milestone of the series.
Uncharted 3 has some nice visuals, but the plot is terrible and full of holes. Still, is a good game.
None of the UC games are actually "good", they are enjoyable for the set pieces and how well they are made, but the gameplay is average at best. The very definition of a blockbuster game.

The Uncharted series is one of the most overrated franchises in gaming. Incredibly easy climbing, really linear progression, bullet-sponges for enemies, and mediocre shooting mechanics that pop up all the time. You end up killing hundreds of nameless thugs in each of the games, which doesn't jive with the story or character. The voice-work, story and visual presentation are all top notch but the actual gameplay itself is not great.

/rant
This.

i wouldn't say uncharted is garbage, but it's certainly not a game to be lauded for its mechanics

but like it's a fairly enjoyable game for the "pretty locations" and fun characters

also you get to kill argie pirates in the first one

argie pirates!
Are you sure those were argies?

My favourite Uncharted game was Tomb Raider.
#dead
TR2013 was way, way worse than any of the UC though

hohoXD123

Hmmmmm I wonder how close this was to being on the money?

I mean sure the other releases that peeps bought blind in their droves were unknown quantities but they were all bought on hype, marketing and promotion than review, impression or opinion. Same thing happened with Unity and now lots of people are not too happy at both a game with technical ossue but not exactly what was show or features talked about.

Please use your powers to tell us of the state of Far Cry 4 on release.

didamangi

Hmmmmm I wonder how close this was to being on the money?

I mean sure the other releases that peeps bought blind in their droves were unknown quantities but they were all bought on hype, marketing and promotion than review, impression or opinion. Same thing happened with Unity and now lots of people are not too happy at both a game with technical issues but not exactly what was show or features talked about.

Dragon Age: Inquisition will save us. Believe!

Dr Dogg

Please use your powers to tell us of the state of Far Cry 4 on release.

Cross gen game running on the same or upgraded version of the Dunia 2 Engine. I'd say in better shape than most will expect but the name Ubisoft Kiev can strike fear into the hearts of men.

Actually Legacy Zero was saying the other day that the FC community has been asking and asking for months about feautres like the map editor and the devs have remained silient. Read into that as you will but the Map Editor for 3 came very late in the day but was used heavily in the FC3 promo materials.

Dragon Age: Inquisition will save us. Believe!

It may have got good reviews but the Bioware that made Balders Gate II is long dead in my eyes. I know it's apparently reviewed well but from what I've seen it's an action focused RPG first and foremost with the tactical systems layered on top. How that plays out I don't know but I've never got on with hybrid systems in the past. Writting will probally be good though but we'll see.

hohoXD123

Cross gen game running on the same or upgraded version of the Dunia 2 Engine. I'd say in better shape than most will expect but the name Ubisoft Kiev can strike fear into the hearts of men.

Actually Legacy Zero was saying the other day that the FC community has been asking and asking for months about feautres like the map editor and the devs have remained silient. Read into that as you will but the Map Editor for 3 came very late in the day but was used heavily in the FC3 promo materials.

So basically another shitfest but a less significant shitfest to what we've been used to lately. I guess I can live with that.

Dr Dogg

So basically another shitfest but a less significant shitfest to what we've been used to lately. I guess I can live with that.

Same with any game though, they are kind of unkown quanities until out in the wild, more so PC games with variable hardware configurations. Any sensible purchaser would wait for a reputable place to benchmark a game before buying it and no review is going to tell you the full extent of technical problems (most never tell you any). After that you have user impressions (hopefully from level headed people) which more often paint a better picture than a professional review or three.

I've got no issues making blind purchases but that's because I know it's on me and I'm taking a chance and I'm not going to throw my toys out of the pram if a game turns out a bit wonky.

Kiru

Oh man Grass Simulator is such a stupid game. First of all, I died in this game just by running up a hill... The game has weird popup in short distance... hello ? I want grass everywhere, there's nothing else I want to see in a game about grass! Game only has 4 modes: Some level with a house and lots of grass around it with cows chilling. For some reason you can use weapons in this game and can collect power ups, like slowmo mode + speed increase. One level you just have fixed camera and watch the grass & trees grow... lol. One level is some shooting test field and the last level is called "Dubstep" where there's weird music + cows spinning in circles....

10/10 must buy
not

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
-The Evil Within: "That said, Bethesda still has to consider The Evil Within a success. It set a new record for the highest first-month sales for a release in the “survival horror” genre, according to the NPD."
-Sunset Overdrive: "Microsoft, meanwhile, probably isn’t sure what to think of Sunset Overdrive yet. The Xbox One exclusive open-world action game was on sale for four days in October, but it didn’t crack the top 10. It did come in at No. 9 if you count games by SKU (meaning only the PS4 version of NBA 2K15 and the Xbox One version of The Evil Within). And of course, none of these sales include the bundled version of Sunset Overdrive that comes with the white Xbox One."

goof for TEW, even with its flaws I thought it was a worthy survival horror game

and good for
a possible PC version of
Sunset Overdrive
since the X1 underperformed

zkylon

zkylewd
I specifically remember you saying it was the best game you have played and that I should play it sometime after I finished Xenoblade. Also recall you saying Xenosaga was really bad.
what's wrong with you ._.

The design of AC leads me to believe Ubisoft execs have a massive whiteboard, which they want the devs to completely fill with individual features, with accompanying checkboxes - - Because that's all the games are at this point, or atleast what they've become.

They've not really evolved much (atleast in any meaningful way) since AC 1 / 2, and they're as shallow as ever at this point, imo.

Atleast we get comedic relief from the bugs in Unity. :p
yeah i mean, that's not really limited to assassins creed but most ubi games in general

far cry (at least the blood dragon whatsitsname thingie) is kind of the same thing and so seems to be watch dogs

and not even ubi only, i hear that's true for like tomb raider too and probably many other games

this whole thing of adding "value" by filling up the map with meaningless things to do only ends up cluttering design by dumping throwaway features on top of throwaway features without letting the game's core mechanics breathe

it's crazy how little has been done with ass creed's awesome climbing.

Are you sure those were argies?

oh i'm pretty sure i dreamed it

but i'm sticking with it cos it's too funny not to

Dr Dogg

Hahaha oh Ubisoft you wankers! So they have just released Unity in the UK but it still is coming up as a site error when going to the store page. Well I guess those who bought it in the day and half it was up and those that had it gifted to them are sorted now. Still waiting on my follow up support ticket pressing them on the matter, I guess this is more evidence I can pass on to them they are taking the piss.

Ozium

Oh man Grass Simulator is such a stupid game. First of all, I died in this game just by running up a hill... The game has weird popup in short distance... hello ? I want grass everywhere, there's nothing else I want to see in a game about grass! Game only has 4 modes: Some level with a house and lots of grass around it with cows chilling. For some reason you can use weapons in this game and can collect power ups, like slowmo mode + speed increase. One level you just have fixed camera and watch the grass & trees grow... lol. One level is some shooting test field and the last level is called "Dubstep" where there's weird music + cows spinning in circles....

10/10 must buy
not

you joke but I want this game... I love shit games...

kind of bummed I missed out on that giveaway

Ozium

how much would ubi's sales go up if they removed uplay?

there are literally like 3-4 games I'd buy on steam but nope uplay

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
It's got the Morningbus® Seal of Approval as the best game developed by Croteam.
Glad someone was paying attention. My 100% trustworthy, unbiased review went by with little fanfare.

I need to develop a vaguely foreign affectation and start making youtube videos or something.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I never had any issues with uplay, but I never had problems with GFWL either. I've lucked out

I just finished Blood Dragon for example, and the game launches uplay in the background and that's about it, it doesn't impact it in any way

Shadownet

Banned
Someone in the AC:Unity thread posted this about the PC version.
Apparently the solution for PC gamers is to simply disconnect from the internet:

http://redd.it/2m7ryt

It is butter smooth then. DRM is using the same processor core as the game, or something like that.
I just tried it out.

I was able to run everything on High settings, with FXAA and SSAO on, Bloom off. and was able to get consistently above 30fps. Even when I'm surrounded by NPCs. Only when it goes to a cutscene that when it start going between 25-50fps. (Usually when outside I get somewhere between 33-50 fps)

Now I can cap it at 30fps and wait for an official patch. I'm not sure if this will work for everyone but it's worth a try.

Disclaimers: I'm running a GTX760 2GB VRAM and an i5-4670K.

Parsnip

I somehow doubt that playing offline will improve AC:U framerates. "Smooth and fuck" is such a scientific way to describe framerates too. I mean, is there stuttering and this fixes it? Or does it like give a 10% boost to overall framerates or something? Does it also give me more VRAM so I can run the game at higher textures?

Hahaha oh Ubisoft you wankers! So they have just released Unity in the UK but it still is coming up as a site error when going to the store page. Well I guess those who bought it in the day and half it was up and those that had it gifted to them are sorted now. Still waiting on my follow up support ticket pressing them on the matter, I guess this is more evidence I can pass on to them they are taking the piss.

Some people were speculating that the 1.2 patch would roll out after the game is out in UK. I guess we'll see.

Shadownet

Banned
I somehow doubt that playing offline will improve AC:U framerates. "Smooth and fuck" is such a scientific way to describe framerates too. I mean, is there stuttering and this fixes it? Or does it like give a 10% boost to overall framerates or something? Does it also give me more VRAM so I can run the game at higher textures?

It gave me about 10-15 more fps. Seeing as how I could only do between 20-39fps at most when connected to the internet with those settings. Now I can run 33-50fps, 60fps indoors.

I didn't get any stuttering or lag either. The textures pop-in are still there though, but less frequent. But this is for me, I'm not sure how it would be with other people. It's just noticeably smoother for me.

Parsnip

It gave me about 10-15 more fps. Seeing as how I could only do between 20-39fps at most when connected to the internet with those settings. Now I can run 33-50fps, 60fps indoors.

I didn't get any stuttering or lag either. The textures pop-in are still there though, but less frequent. But this is for me, I'm not sure how it would be with other people. It's just noticeably smoother for me.

10-15 is quite a lot. I guess I have to test it myself.

For science.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Having just finished majestic Silent Hill 2 on the PS2... why isn't it it available on Steam again? Are there legal reasons or is it just Konami's general ineptitude?

The PC version requires some work to get functioning on modern systems, but nothing that they couldn't just leave to the community to do. Angular Graphics made an all-in-one patch that does all the heavy lifting. Between that, and SH3 only requiring an FOV patch and an ini tweak for widescreen resolutions, Konami is just sitting on two of the best games and a ton of free money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom