• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2014 - Ride of the Valkyries

Status
Not open for further replies.

-MD-

FKK329F.png

tumblr_mvkki74a2s1r974s9o1_500.gif

chronomac

I played Bioshock Infinite for the past hour, turned it off and now I have 5 invites from people I've never seen before:

fRS0o4C.png

Anyone recognize them? I ask because I've only friended GAF people and real-life friends, really.

i'm about to bite on Far Cry Franchise pack. gimme 3 reasons why not
There are enough points not to get it but I'd say more points to get it.

FC1 is basically Crysis with not so good visuals. But gameplay is ace. Especially the first 2/3.

FC2 still is one of the most immersive FPS. The map, the jungle, the weapons, the health system. Top notch stuff.

FC3 is mindless fun. Beautiful vistas, actual wildlife that manages to make the world feel alive, tons of customization.

Blood Dragon is a dream game for all 80s nostalgics.

Don't let the hate get to you.

Sarcasm

There are enough points not to get it but I'd say more points to get it.

FC1 is basically Crysis with not so good visuals. But gameplay is ace. Especially the first 2/3.

FC2 still is one of the most immersive FPS. The map, the jungle, the weapons, the health system. Top notch stuff.

FC3 is mindless fun. Beautiful vistas, actual wildlife that manages to make the world feel alive, tons of customization.

Blood Dragon is a dream game for all 80s nostalgics.

Don't let the hate get to you.

I don't think it's hate for the game. It is for uplay.

Tenrius

Oh well, maybe we'll get those games someday, as long as there's no real reason behind their absence. The general trend seems to be shifting towards releasing those older games on Steam, we even got RE4 after all. I'm good with playing it on the PS2 though, you might call me crazy but it didn't mind how it looked. Having it on Steam on top of that certainly wouldn't hurt though.

As for Homecoming, it's not even available here.

Shade

Old bundle goods, and previously unclaimed stuff. Should be unused.

ModBot said:
Instructions for Shade:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 27 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Shade, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Edna & Harvey -- MB-5A6BF93AAD280C95 - Taken by skullmuffins. 4 entrants total.
Deponia -- MB-1759D39E43EBA415 - Taken by gaiadyne. 1 entrants total.
Shattered Haven -- MB-00136C55BA6C926B - Taken by hepburn3d. 2 entrants total.
Legends of Dawn -- MB-7B55435B73F13344 - Taken by trailmix16. 2 entrants total.
Burn Zombie Burn -- MB-3EE98F8C933411C2 - Taken by bobnowhere. 2 entrants total.
beep -- MB-CBEE96D9DD02A8D8 - Taken by WinterDemons. 2 entrants total.
RACE Injection -- MB-1FD16B86388D8780 - Taken by fernandes. 1 entrants total.
xheRJRF.gif
alien shooter 2 reloaded -- MB-6BB591A27878FACF
midnight mysteries 4 -- MB-1305B5C4E31E0BA9 - Taken by nja. 2 entrants total.
The Whispered World -- MB-8D64308CDCA07048 - Taken by electroflame. 1 entrants total.
Lucius -- MB-024559A1419EFEE9 - Taken by Fare Godmace. 2 entrants total.
madballs in babo dlc -- MB-5CDEE47B84344645
Hacker Evolution Duality -- MB-8F895EE5623A0290 - Taken by sensoft04. 1 entrants total.
xheRJRF.gif
alien shooter 2 conscription -- MB-5CD95FE347B72949 - Taken by nja. 1 entrants total.
Survivor Squad -- MB-B3217D7BCC8EBC7F - Taken by autoduelist. 1 entrants total.
Really Big Sky #2 -- MB-9EC36C74EA8930EF - Taken by Purkake4. 2 entrants total.
Guardians of Graxia and DLC 3JDWM-964P4-6MZQM -- MB-9848905826CB4FFB - Taken by Henry Swanson. 1 entrants total.
Pid -- MB-2E634197F3AC9E19 - Taken by Texan365. 1 entrants total.
Hacker Evolution Duality Hardcore Package 1 -- MB-FAD5950F33DCD843 - Taken by SSPssp. 1 entrants total.
A New Beginning -- MB-64C453A28F960AD9 - Taken by Chreznor. 1 entrants total.
xheRJRF.gif
zombie shooter 2 -- MB-BAECBEB8E5529C18 - Taken by abracadaver. 1 entrants total.
Plain Sight -- MB-E8EDBA9C5C7BA93E - Taken by gaiadyne. 2 entrants total.
Mortal Kombat Kollection -- MB-0AB10238783E9822 - Taken by Shalashaska. 3 entrants total.
Greed Corp -- MB-DD750952507F8864 - Taken by Woody Invincible. 4 entrants total.
Really Big Sky -- MB-BB4F8ED1AA33698D - Taken by Tesseract. 3 entrants total.
Angvik -- MB-E1E7C78F1A309A33 - Taken by chronomac. 1 entrants total.

t1415927728z1.png

iosefe

I don't think it's hate for the game. It is for uplay.

or or less. i've heard the horror stories.

though one time i asked a friend i told him i really enjoyed stuff like Just Cause 2 and he says Far Cry 3 is probably not the game for me, so i've had that reservation ever since. by no means did he say it was bad though

Jawmuncher

Just realized I took poo-related screenshots of the two games I played today, what a weird coincidence.

When you gotta go you gotta go

Collusion tiem!

I'm surprised they didn't fix the Xbone version first

Thank You for the help.
Might make a thread tomorrow to see if that brings in a bit more posts.
Makes no sense for new releases to support all of these steam features but not cards.

denx

Stupid question: is it possible to edit the parameters for your recommended list on the front page? Right now my recommended games list is dominated by F2P games. I mean, I don't mind F2P games so I'm not opposed to them appearing on my recommended list, but it is extremely annoying when F2P are the only games that appear on my list.

Halp?

zkylon

zkylewd
far cry 2 was going somewhere but got stuck half way through

not enough games set in africa imo, such an interesting place to visit

Just realized I took poo-related screenshots of the two games I played today, what a weird coincidence.

weirdo

denx

Since I got buried at the end of the last page:

Stupid question: is it possible to edit the parameters for your recommended list on the front page? Right now my recommended games list is dominated by F2P games. I mean, I don't mind F2P games so I'm not opposed to them appearing on my recommended list, but it is extremely annoying when F2P are the only games that appear on my list.

Halp?

Oh yeah, Valkyria Chronicles is pretty fucking great btw, but I think you all already knew that.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Granted, I haven't played the game since 2008/2009, but despite its faults I'd say I enjoyed Far Cry 2 more than 3 and Blood Dragon (I've never spent much time with the original). I tried playing through the PC version before my upgrade in 2012, however my poor ol' 3.2GHz C2D couldn't quite keep up at max settings and I haven't really touched it since.

Halp?

Nope. Valve's recommendation system, in its current state, doesn't seem to "learn from" the genres of games you regularly pass on.

zkylon

zkylewd

Halp?
nope, hide your queue, it's useless

Jawmuncher

I don't know why he didn't just say yes.

untitled2faqbe.png

Minimum:
Processor (AMD): Quad core @ 2.5 GHz
Processor (Intel): Quad core @ 2.0 GHz
Memory: 4 GB
Graphics Card (AMD): Radeon HD 4870
Graphics Card (NVIDIA): GeForce 8800 GT
Graphics Memory: 512 MB
Hard Drive: 26 GB
DirectX: 10
Internet: 512 kbps up and down

Recommended:
Processor (AMD): Six core @ 3.2 GHz
Processor (Intel): Quad core @ 3.0 GHz
Memory: 8 GB
Graphics Card (AMD): Radeon HD 7870 or R9 270
Graphics Card (NVIDIA): GeForce GTX 660
Graphics Memory: 2 GB
Hard Drive: 26 GB
DirectX: 11
Internet: 1 Mbps up and down

Dr.Acula

Banned

Halp?

I tried doing the thingy where you explore a list and you select "wishlist, follow, uninterested" but sometimes none of those apply.

Some games I may buy one day on sale, but I wouldn't follow or favourite them.

So I just skip to next. Which I guess is the same as "no opinion." At least I hope that's how it's being recorded.

I played Bioshock Infinite for the past hour, turned it off and now I have 5 invites from people I've never seen before:

fRS0o4C.png

Anyone recognize them? I ask because I've only friended GAF people and real-life friends, really.

I tend to get about 2-3 random invites a week, I keep to a few rules
  • If your profile is private and I don't recognise the name, block.
  • Private and Level 0, scammer.
  • Public profile, but very low level, very few games, mostly F2P or freebies, scammer or begger.
  • Member of the Gaf group, Add!
  • Has paid games, decent level, maybe 8+, profile doesn't look like a terrible myspace page, add.

Some Insurgency, if there's still people who don't have it:

https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=8xpuF7nxCVWDh4zG

And some spares:

ModBot said:
Instructions for Kurt Russell:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.

Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure -- MB-BDF9BA7A30274E6F - Taken by RyanPierre
Depth Hunter 2: Deep Dive -- MB-9A5E1BA6B15F9E97 - Taken by alr1ght
Always Sometimes Monsters -- MB-15339E97E244FBB7 - Taken by The Dear Leader

Omega

Banned
how much would ubi's sales go up if they removed uplay?

there are literally like 3-4 games I'd buy on steam but nope uplay

I would love to check out SC: Blacklist, FC3: Blood Dragon. Maybe The Division and Rainbow Six as well. Loved every Rainbow Six to date, even Vegas, but not sure I want to put up with uPlay or modern Ubisoft.

Luckily for me I'll never have to waste a cent on any of those games

Started playing Valkyria Chronicles/XCOM: Anime Unknown, and I'm really enjoying it so far! It's super weird seeing the PS3 save system on PC though.

Parsnip

Well, here's a super duper scientific method of testing out the "offline fix" for ac:u in one early scene, I'm not too far into the game so I can't really test other places. 1080p, borderless, high preset except AA off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nw4skURuAHQ

Can't say I see much difference. In both the framerate hovers a bit above 30 but hitches pretty often. Maybe it's different in Paris because it checks companion app chests and whatever. Dunno. Take it with a grain or two of salt I guess.

denx

Nope. Valve's recommendation system, in its current state, doesn't seem to "learn from" the genres of games you regularly pass on.

I tried doing the thingy where you explore a list and you select "wishlist, follow, uninterested" but sometimes none of those apply.

Some games I may buy one day on sale, but I wouldn't follow or favourite them.

So I just skip to next. Which I guess is the same as "no opinion." At least I hope that's how it's being recorded.

I should clarify that my problem is not with the discoverability list, that's working fine for the most part, although I think it's rather narrow in the selection of genres it shows me (FPS, RPG, Strategy) - actually scratch that, it's not working quite as intended since I want to widen the net of genres it shows me and I don't know how.

I was talking about the new releases/recommended games slider at the top of the front page. It's only showing me F2P games as recommended.

So there's no way to customize the stuff it shows you? You just have to rely on the store page algorithms?

AsylumX

how much would ubi's sales go up if they removed uplay?

there are literally like 3-4 games I'd buy on steam but nope uplay

I would buy the FarCry Collection that it's on sale, mainly for FC3 and Blood Dragon, but Uplay is a big no no for me...

Played some of the Historical Pack for Payday 2 (thanks goes to iosefe for hooking me up with some cards, you da real mvp), some pretty cool mods for the guns, you can pretty much make the pistol into Han Solo's pistol and you can make the sub-machine gun into a stormtroopers rifle.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Well, here's a super duper scientific method of testing out the "offline fix" for ac:u in one early scene, I'm not too far into the game so I can't really test other places. 1080p, borderless, high preset except AA off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nw4skURuAHQ

Can't say I see much difference. In both the framerate hovers a bit above 30 but hitches pretty often. Maybe it's different in Paris because it checks companion app chests and whatever. Dunno. Take it with a grain or two of salt I guess.

I like how the game claims that it requires access to Uplay if your connection drops mid-game:

It's fairly damning evidence that Ubi was experimenting with always-online DRM yet again but forgot to change the error message to reflect the fact that only certain elements require an active connection to the Uplay service.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
It's fairly damning evidence that Ubi was experimenting with always-online DRM yet again but forgot to change the error message to reflect the fact that only certain elements require an active connection to the Uplay service.

ubi gonna ubi ;)

it just wouldn't be ubisoft if they weren't looking for even more ways to fuck people over ;)

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I heard that some people have problems with saves and stuff. Also, another program running in the background is annoying.

oh so you dont even have an actual reason to avoid those games, just hear say?

well fair enough we all have our reasons I guess, its not any sillier than not playing EA games because they arent on steam

Zeliard

Surprised by how much I'm enjoying Saints Row IV. I never could get into the previous three, but this one really works for me. Unlike the other games, I think it's very well-written and toes the line effectively between clever, relatively subtle humor and a broader, more over-the-top style, and the science fiction setting gives it a lot of ripe material to poke fun at.

The mobility powers in the vein of Hulk: UD and Prototype are also a treat, though they're odd in that they make using land vehicles (which there's full customization for) largely superfluous. Would have liked to see them go a bit crazier in vehicle designs, and the setting would have allowed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom