• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2014 - Ride of the Valkyries

Status
Not open for further replies.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
2014-11-14_21-23-01.jpg

I am redeemed now ;) enjoy, guys :D

Shadownet

Banned
Hey good news, those of you who were in the Gold Rush Anniversary debacle.
Buying the Special Edition for $5.

The game is now in your account! Enjoy the full $30 game for $5.

Edit: Nevermind, lashman is a dick to cats.

Dr Dogg

Well Rogue is definitely Black Flag II alright. Haven't quite got full access to the progress tracker as of yet but it does look that there is no online components short of leaderboards thank christ. I don't think I could deal with the Community Chests and White Whales again.

Oh and also 360 games look rough!

FLD

I also have an extra copy of Frozen Synapse Prime if anyone's interested.

I don't suppose anyone has a copy of Binding of Isaac: Rebirth they'd be willing to trade me for it?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I also have an extra copy of Frozen Synapse Prime if anyone's interested.

I don't suppose anyone has a copy of Binding of Isaac: Rebirth they'd be willing to trade me for it?

not to be "that guy", but im gonna

so a $5 game (frozen synapse with current discount + 50% voucher is $10ish, 2 copies means $5 each) for a $15 one? sounds legit :p

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
and Metro crashed... damn you PC gaming /shakesfist

Hey good news, those of you who were in the Gold Rush Anniversary debacle.
Buying the Special Edition for $5.

The game is now in your account! Enjoy the full $30 game for $5.

I just checked their actual price against other point and click adventures. Only considering the regular edition, It's the second-most expensive point and click on Steam. The most expensive would be Sherlock Holmes Crimes & Punishments, but even that describes itself as six adventures, so I'm not sure if that's a compilation or what.

That price for a remastered game where you can buy the original on the same platform for far cheaper. I really wish these guys the best of luck in their pricing scheme...because they're gonna need it.

Shadownet

Banned
I just checked their actual price against other point and click adventures. Only considering the regular edition, It's the second-most expensive point and click on Steam. The most expensive would be Sherlock Holmes Crimes & Punishments, but even that describes itself as six adventures, so I'm not sure if that's a compilation or what.

That price for a remastered game where you can buy the original on the same platform for far cheaper. I really wish these guys the best of luck in their pricing scheme...because they're gonna need it.

Crimes and Punishments play like your standard procedural cop show. Something bad happened, you investigate, use logic and find the suspect, confront. Then move on to the next case.

But yeah Crimes and Punishments is worth the price tag. I don't think Gold Rush Anniversary is worth $30.

Tellaerin

Sword of Edo/Asumi

Kourin no Machi, Lavender no Shoujo

That is either some color tricks on a non english game assuming nobody will catch it or a really odd coincidence. You decide.

I wouldn't call that "stealing art" so much as "shameless tracing" ("stealing art", to me, means taking art from somewhere else and sticking it into your game as-is, like what the Evony devs did), but yeah, I'd have to agree that this looks highly dubious
</Unicron>

Annubis

I wouldn't call that "stealing art" so much as "shameless tracing" ("stealing art", to me, means taking art from somewhere else and sticking it into your game as-is, like what the Evony devs did), but yeah, I'd have to agree that this looks highly dubious
</Unicron>

Yes, it's called tracing and it happens a lot in Japan.
Even some big artists/mangaka do it all the time.

Most people don't really care unless it's super blatant, which it isn't that much between those 2 screenshots.

chronomac

I don't know if anyone remembers but I bought a used HD 7950 on Reddit a while back for about $100 and...well, let's just say it didn't work. I was distraught at first but the user who sold it to me said it was still under warranty. So I sent it in to Gigabyte and, 3 long weeks later, I finally have the card back. It's replacing a GTX 460, and the only thing I've sunk any time into is Bioshock Infinite.

It's my first time playing it, and it's pretty. I know it's not a new card or top of the line or anything, but it's still nice to be able to play a game at higher settings (this is 1080p, Ultra).

I'm just entering Comstock's house, so I don't think I'm far from the end. I do think the combat's getting a bit tired, and I don't think they've really taken advantage of the infinite in Bioshock Infinite (the portals to other times, I mean), but it's been pretty engrossing.

Jawmuncher

I don't think it's the same artist since I have the Vita version of Diabolik Lovers and the faces look fairly different.
I imported a bunch of used Vita games in bulk earlier this year (lots of random VN mixed in) and haven't gotten a Vita to play them yet though, OTL

Easily the best deal ever then.
But that at least clears that up.

FLD

not to be "that guy", but im gonna

so a $5 game (frozen synapse with current discount + 50% voucher is $10ish, 2 copies means $5 each) for a $15 one? sounds legit :p

Yeah, that's pretty much what I figured. I wouldn't necessarily factor the voucher in Prime's value but my thinking was that, since Isaac had a decent pre-order discount for existing owners, it might be valued as a 10$ish game for trades. Which is a little more even with one copy of Prime if you don't factor in the voucher.

I know it's a long shot but I figured there was no harm is asking.

Here are some giveaways including five keys from QP Shooting - Dangerous!! that we released just a couple of hours ago. Good luck and have fun!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 11 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Fruitbat Factory, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

War of the Human Tanks #2 -- MB-2F4774C8403D2BEB - Taken by user237. 2 entrants total.
100% Orange Juice #2 -- MB-1E5ABB5032CC503A - Taken by Shalashaska. 4 entrants total.
99 Spirits -- MB-5DE6DF8BB72D0DB3
QP Shooting - Dangerous!! -- MB-8B7CBCC53A5EC89B - Taken by D3RANG3D. 11 entrants total.
QP Shooting - Dangerous!! #4 -- MB-1449D9727F99C576 - Taken by freshVeggie. 8 entrants total.
War of the Human Tanks -- MB-BA4BC40C2B25EFB2 - Taken by Shadownet. 2 entrants total.
QP Shooting - Dangerous!! #2 -- MB-F7EFAFD6B1EF10C1 - Taken by provista. 5 entrants total.
QP Shooting - Dangerous!! #3 -- MB-94875821F7A5A6A9 - Taken by Diedac. 11 entrants total.
100% Orange Juice -- MB-525ADDB7605B31BD - Taken by GaussTek. 3 entrants total.
99 Spirits #2 -- MB-97E09C916E51B3F8 - Taken by Aitor. 1 entrants total.
QP Shooting - Dangerous!! #5 -- MB-CA8BBB7C9156B5BD - Taken by Rayge. 5 entrants total.

t1416008371z1.png

Phawx

My Let's Play of Rollers of the Realm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUgOm0cr1ek

Steam Store Link: http://store.steampowered.com/app/262470/

Quick Impressions:

Rollers of the Realm is a RPG Pinball game. If that mashup is leaving you puzzled with trying to conceptualize how that would work, you're not alone. Your available pinballs are actually RPG Archetypes. You start off as a Rogue pinball which does extra damage and steals gold if the pinball hits behind an enemy and the Rogues special power is to unleash a dog pinball, which is the same concept as multiballs in standard pinball games.

Thankfully, to use abilities, mana is a pool for your entire cast. Mana is built by hitting against obstacles (popbumpers on traditional pinball tables) as well as building your overall score for the game. Interestingly, your score is also your XP. So defeating enemies isn't the only point of advancing, you're given the option of continuing on your journey after completing an area or to stay behind and keep playing "regular pinball"

As the game advances, you can either hire more character classes like the alchemist who often throws bombs at enemies as long as you hit his pinball close enough to the enemies or acquire new characters as the story develops like the Knight (who is actually a larger pinball) or Ranger (who is excellent in all regards, including his voiced dialogue)

Streamers were only allowed to record up to chapter 3, so that's as far as I can talk up to.

Bottom line: If you're a fan of pinball or RPG games, it's easy to recommend. If you like interesting takes on games in general, it's also an easy recommend. Takes about two hours before all of the nuance to that game gels.

Monooboe

Alright, I give up, Unity IS buggy as hell. I'll wait for the patch, might now give COD:AW Single Player and MGS: Ground Zeros a chance on PS4.

Shadownet

Banned
Alright, I give up, Unity IS buggy as hell. I'll wait for the patch, might now give COD:AW Single Player and MGS: Ground Zeros a chance on PS4.

it crashed on me twice within the first 15 mins of gameplay. I used to be able to play offline with no stutters but now the stutters are back. I swear they fixed some stuff and more problems pop up.

Quick Impressions:

Rollers of the Realm is a RPG Pinball game. If that mashup is leaving you puzzled with trying to conceptualize how that would work, you're not alone. Your available pinballs are actually RPG Archetypes. You start off as a Rogue pinball which does extra damage and steals gold if the pinball hits behind an enemy and the Rogues special power is to unleash a dog pinball, which is the same concept as multiballs in standard pinball games.

Thankfully, to use abilities, mana is a pool for your entire cast. Mana is built by hitting against obstacles (popbumpers on traditional pinball tables) as well as building your overall score for the game. Interestingly, your score is also your XP. So defeating enemies isn't the only point of advancing, you're given the option of continuing on your journey after completing an area or to stay behind and keep playing "regular pinball"

As the game advances, you can either hire more character classes like the alchemist who often throws bombs at enemies as long as you hit his pinball close enough to the enemies or acquire new characters as the story develops like the Knight (who is actually a larger pinball) or Ranger (who is excellent in all regards, including his voiced dialogue)

Streamers were only allowed to record up to chapter 3, so that's as far as I can talk up to.

Bottom line: If you're a fan of pinball or RPG games, it's easy to recommend. If you like interesting takes on games in general, it's also an easy recommend. Takes about two hours before all of the nuance to that game gels.

You had me at pinball. Thanks for the impressions.

Great trailer, nice shaking effect, and a blooper shot of a mouse cursor getting in the screen and out quickly when it notices that there is a recording in progress.
It is a bad VN, stealing art, and the "major decisions" are apparently choice of underwear.
I wanted VN on Steam, bur not like this.
Oh man, sounds horrid. Wishlisted it but I'm gonna un-wishlist. I really have no clue which VN actually are quality :/
--
Well Rogue is definitely Black Flag II alright. Haven't quite got full access to the progress tracker as of yet but it does look that there is no online components short of leaderboards thank christ. I don't think I could deal with the Community Chests and White Whales again.
Oh and also 360 games look rough!
Huh? I thought Rouge's gonna come on PC as well?! Didn't you know or why did you go with the old-gen version?
--
Is that shopped or glitched?
Anyway, I watched over one hour of high-bitrate videos of AssUnity from Gamersyde and I have to say, the game maxed looks good and wow, now I see why so many studios and people worked on that. There are so many stupidly high-poly objects and in general is the world very detailed. Such a shame the management rushed this out to early. If this was polished there would be a much better game. Guess Ubi's gonna patch performance but I am not so sure if microtransactions are going out :/ That would hurt gameplay imo.
--
dat moment when your SLI 970s cant do 1080p 60fps maxed. feels bad man
Metro 2033 Redux
That's not good. I thought a 970 would churn almost every game easily?! Ah man, I am seriously considering to wait one more year - again - to build a PC.
--
A couple of screens from Always sometimes monster
(now as soon as I will start Steam, all GAF will be playing this game, I know this for sure)
http://i.imgur.com/ve2cuNG.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ZWtMltJ.jpg
Good Lord! What the heck?!

Nabs

Quick Impressions:

Thanks for the early impressions and videos. Watching now.

Parsnip

Boop.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Parsnip, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Only GAF members who are NOT junior members are eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Frozen Synapse Prime -- MB-A0619F8648681D27 - Taken by Jadax. 10 entrants total.

t1416000932z1.png

Xanathus

So I haven't logged into my Playfire account in a long time and just discovered that I have over $18 in credit but none of them have transferred over to GMG. I sent out a support ticket about it, hopefully it gets resolved though I don't even know what I want to buy at the moment. Maybe FFXIII-2 but I've already played that on PS3 and don't feel up to playing it again.

Zafir

it crashed on me twice within the first 15 mins of gameplay. I used to be able to play offline with no stutters but now the stutters are back. I swear they fixed some stuff and more problems pop up.

I've not had any crashes, or issues with single player in Unity.

Now co-op is a whole other kettle of fish. Yesterday I tried it with a friend.

- First mission we had to go into a underground bit, I went down and none of it had loaded so all I could see was random bits of water and my friend doing all the stuff for the mission while I couldnt navigate(img here)...
- Then we tried a second one, and I went into a window and a guard was there. Ran up to try and attack, it wouldn't let me. The guard couldn't attack me either. Then more guards came and we couldn't attack each other still. So it was me surrounded by a bunch of guards rotating around me and no one could attack. My friend had to come back and kill them off for me. It also happened later on too. I went to assassinate a lone guard, another guard teleported into existance right next to the one I killed so I got spotted and same attack buginess occured again.
- Third mission we went into matchmaking for a 4 man one, we didn't come across any bugs, but nearing the end we all got kicked from the mission without a reason.

I'm not going back into Co-op for a while, lol.

Shadownet

Banned
I've not had any crashes, or issues with single player in Unity.

Now co-op is a whole other kettle of fish. Yesterday I tried it with a friend.

I'm not going back into Co-op for a while, lol.
I can't even go into co-op. Tried playing it with a friend yesterday. It kept giving us connection error. Game is a mess.

Monooboe

Didn't it just get patched today?

Yeah there was a patch but it still is quite buggy, I don't get weird faces but few crashes, arno freezing in mid action while the world still is running, hostiles freezing and such.

I don't have stutter but I do have crashes.:/ Hopefully there's another patch soon, what I could play of the game I really liked.:D

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Santerestil, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Santerestil, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Metro 2033 -- MB-B186C4B017C58405 - Taken by Mengy. 1 entrants total.

t1416003928z1.png

Dr Dogg

Huh? I thought Rouge's gonna come on PC as well?! Didn't you know or why did you go with the old-gen version?

I'm that impatient :p

Plus this should see me through until Ubisoft stop being dicks and put Unity on the UK Steam storefront. Not that I'm going to pick it up before it's had a patch or 5.

MRORANGE

No mod replies, I've updated the final version of the Steam News thread, a few of you raised some pointers including Morningbus who summarised some very good points on how discussions should go forward in the new thread, a link-back has been posted to here.

I'll probably post this within 30 minutes as it seems fine, have a check:

09epU13.png

For off-topic/casual Steam discussion visit the Steam Community Thread.

What is this thread?
A thread to find about news on Steam / Updates / Sales* quickly and efficiently.

Uh...... but we have one already?
Yes we do, but that thread goes in community and it's a hassle to go through to find sale information or news.

So how does it work?
You just post the news about the agenda with a link and a brief info, Example: the game that was on sale today.

What are the rules:

- Do not post off topic comments here
- Do not post giveaways
- Do not post on how great a previous post was
- Sales* frrom other stores are allowed to be posted here if it's the steam version.

Other pointers:

• Discussion should be focused, but not necessarily limited. A new release on Steam or an interesting game on Steam Greenlight is worthy of discussion. An exclusive Origin game or a new release on GOG are not the domain of this thread. A post should be judged on its content and usefulness to the greater audience, not the person posting it. A discussion should be driven by the events of the day, not from boredom.
  • No image macros or replies consisting of mostly images. If a post is worth responding to it is worth responding to with words.
  • No Giveaways. Giveaways should be posted to the Steam Community thread.
  • Sales and sale recaps are permitted but only if they offer keys redeemable on Steam. A good practice to follow is that a new person viewing the thread should not have to ask if a key is redeemable on Steam. Assume everyone here needs it on Steam or that it might as well not exist.

How do we enforce the rules?
Self-moderation, this is a hard one, but if someone is being really obnoxious in the thread then it is perfectly fine to point them out, as long as you have evidence to show how they went against the rules of this thread. It may be better to take this to PM first and have the poster remove his or her comment.

MRORANGE

I think the best way to help the new thread is jsut by posting steam news at first, for example any new games released, daily discounts on games, steam updates and anything else that is concentrated around Steam that will help us build, its gonna be tricky but if we can do that for a month or two it gives it a fighting chance of survival.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom