• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2014 - Ride of the Valkyries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Copons

No mod replies, I've updated the final version of the Steam News thread, a few of you raised some pointers including Morningbus who summarised some very good points on how discussions should go forward in the new thread, a link-back has been posted to here.

I'll probably post this within 30 minutes as it seems fine, have a check:

Still against this whole idea, but it seems great nonetheless.

it just seems like it's the thread equivalent of poking a hornet's nest. I'm perfectly ok with this thread being in community. it's helped to thin out the trolls and the drive by posts that were becoming more and more common in the last few months over at Gaming.

plus, now we don't live in fear of sometimes going a bit off topic, which means we don't have to worry about somewhat NSFW animu VN screenshots and waifu battles getting us demoted again. Not that i condone that stuff, but at least you can't get any demoted any further than community for it.

Nabs

No mod replies, I've updated the final version of the Steam News thread, a few of you raised some pointers including Morningbus who summarised some very good points on how discussions should go forward in the new thread, a link-back has been posted to here.

Good luck. I really hope people don't shit up the first 4 pages.

Zeknurn

Looks great!

it just seems like it's the thread equivalent of poking a hornet's nest. I'm perfectly ok with this thread being in community. it's helped to thin out the trolls and the drive by posts that were becoming more and more common in the last few months over at Gaming.

plus, now we don't live in fear of sometimes going a bit off topic, which means we don't have to worry about somewhat NSFW animu VN screenshots and waifu battles getting us demoted again. Not that i condone that stuff, but at least you can't get any demoted any further than community for it.

You say this like it's a good thing. :|

Dr.Acula

Banned

Yeah... I don't think I'm going to use that thread, the last thing we need is even more segregation.

I still think we should just stay in community, and whenever there's a sale, have it in gaming. Isn't the Black Friday Steam sale coming up?

Looks great!

You say this like it's a good thing. :|

i say it like someone who has accepted his lot in life. why fight the inevitable? in the end, there are still really good posters here who stay on topic and contribute to the overall discussion. After seeing how wild some of the other threads get on gaf, quibbling about the 2 or 3 things that are off about this thread seems almost like whining a bit. That's just how i feel about it.

And what about general Valve news? Game, engine, whatever related? They stay here?

MRORANGE

It's live

I think the best way to help the new thread is jsut by posting steam news at first, for example any new games released, daily discounts on games, steam updates and anything else that is concentrated around Steam that will help us build, its gonna be tricky but if we can do that for a month or two it gives it a fighting chance of survival.

I still think we should just stay in community, and whenever there's a sale, have it in gaming. Isn't the Black Friday Steam sale coming up?

I agree, I think most people are over the whole community switch, but it's not like were not going to talk about the sales in this thread anyway, so another one in gaming is kind of redundant no?

Phawx

It's live

I think the best way to help the new thread is jsut by posting steam news at first, for example any new games released, daily discounts on games, steam updates and anything else that is concentrated around Steam that will help us build, its gonna be tricky but if we can do that for a month or two it gives it a fighting chance of survival.

Sorry I didn't spot it before. You have a typo: frrom

It's live

Tension is high.

Momentary

Banned
Just picked up my $50 Steam Wallet card from Best buy. If I would have come yesterday when the $10 off deal was ongoing I could,have pricematched another one.

Time to pick up Far Cry 2!

Any plans to remove the 30 FPS lock?

Yeah. The 30FPS lock on Hyper Light Drifter makes the scrolling effect of it's environments make me want to through up. But the demo was so good I just suffered through it.

I'm that impatient :p
Plus this should see me through until Ubisoft stop being dicks and put Unity on the UK Steam storefront. Not that I'm going to pick it up before it's had a patch or 5.
Hah, fair enough. From what I saw and read, Rogue seems to be a solid if not necessarily refreshing entry. But hey, that's what AssCreed fans like about the series imo. Consistency.
Good luck orange. I hope that thread keeps news only ad doesn't get modbotted. There are more posters than I thought who seek a news/deals-only thread. Could be useful for them.

Dr.Acula

Banned
I agree, I think most people are over the whole community switch, but it's not like were not going to talk about the sales in this thread anyway, so another one in gaming is kind of redundant no?

The Steam thread moves a lot quicker during sales, and we get a lot more traffic during that period too. To have something on the Gaming tab when interest is highest makes sense. And if people want to talk about Steam things in general, having this thread in community, it being a little more slow moving, is more conducive to discussion.

During sales, this thread becomes a giveaway fest.

inm8num2

It's live

Wall of "dat new thread smell" posts incoming! :p

Nabs

Any news on Galak-Z? I haven't heard a thing in months.

edit (facebook):

Galak-Z: The Dimensional - We're polishing it to a blinding gleam, new target date is Q1 2015. Almost done!

Xanathus

The rules in that thread says no posting about how awesome another post is, but doesn't say anything about the opposite. Guess this means I can post about how all of your posts are shit.

During sales, this thread becomes a giveaway fest.

post-38234-snoop-dogg-nodding-yes-gif-Img-KPHy.gif

and that's what I like ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Chariot

It's live

Oooooooohhh

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Wow can't believe we never brought this up.

:p

Does anyone here even like otome besides me?

Sometimes, yes.

So game impressions will still go in this thread for future reference, right?

iosefe

It's live

TYPO HERE:
- Sales* frrom other stores....

MRORANGE

most likely yes. I'll try and get more feedback and read through the thread at the weekend on how the thread is going and sort what should be in what thread, but most likely reviews might be placed in community for now.

It's live

So, uh, will sales threads like Winter Sale, for example, still get made in Gaming or what?

Coreda

I liked the idea of posting linkbacks to the full reviews here, but seeing as it's called 'Steam News' the scope seems focused on just Steam specific things, which is fair enough seeing as it's a trial thread. Was hoping it might have been a 'TL;DR' version of SteamGAF community.

MRORANGE

Alright, made my first post then :)
Hopefully the format is acceptable?! Images are more faster to convey info after all.

images should be fine, here is the guidelines:

No image macros or replies consisting of mostly images. If a post is worth responding to it is worth responding to with words.

if the images are quite big (needing to scroll)) then I would highly recommend making them quoated.

Kiru

This is probably very wrong, but if anyone is in that group and can invite me I'd be grateful.

steamcommunity.com/id/Duke899

I also got contacted outside of this thread, but I'm saying it here again. There doesn't seem to be any way to invite people anymore. Admins might have locked the group after being greenlit to prevent these things to happen.

I also got contacted outside of this thread, but I'm saying it here again. There doesn't seem to be any way to invite people anymore. Admins might have locked the group after being greenlit to prevent these things to happen.

Makes sense. Thanks for the info!

The worst part is that I voted for that thing, but never found out that I had to join their group as well.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF

some stuff from the coming soon section
that first one looks ... interesting :)

and yes - Avatar is already locked

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
most likely yes. I'll try and get more feedback and read through the thread at the weekend on how the thread is going and sort what should be in what thread, but most likely reviews might be placed in community for now.

Hopefully it'll do good. At some point we could maybe start collecting detailed impressions and posting them in the other thread, like that wiki idea a few people had following the summer sale, but I agree that it should come later.

I liked the idea of posting linkbacks to the full reviews here, but seeing as it's called 'Steam News' the scope seems focused on just Steam specific things, which is fair enough seeing as it's a trial thread. Was hoping it might have been a 'TL;DR' version of SteamGAF community.

Yeah, I can definitely see that being helpful in case someone wants impressions of games. It would make them easier to find for some.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom