• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2014 - Ride of the Valkyries

Status
Not open for further replies.
When Newell goes on the record saying that the skills for creating 20hrs SP campaign are useless for what Valve is currently doing then Valve sure as hell needs to address the situation instead of leaving fans hanging.

What is Valve doing atm besides updating Dota2/TF2 in terms of Steam?
I mean they announced the trading cards will have a binder, some cards could be earned through playing, having more than one "season" for cards etc.
Then they announced Steam Universe and almost no news about that.
The client still has bugs since years that arent fixed and is browser-based, even in the BPM.
Dont get me started on GL. Why wouldnt they answer anything since August? I mean they had some AMA last year about that, what they plan to do. Then somehow August was the last month where they GL 100 titles and now they seem to Greenlight titles for reasons no one knows.

Seriously. It seems they dont really know themselves what they wanna do.

Jawmuncher

Then they should say so directly and plainly. Stuff being painful doesn't excuse remaining silent for 7 years.
And again, forget about HL. We haven't been able to get a straight word about if and how Valve is making future SP games.

When Newell goes on the record saying that the skills for creating 20hrs SP campaign are useless for what Valve is currently doing then Valve sure as hell needs to address the situation instead of leaving fans hanging.

I think you underestimate gaming as a whole.
That's about 90% of the medium.

MRORANGE

My opinions:

- it depends on both the game and the update. A GFWL removed or cards added is worthy, a bug fix no;
- community;
- kept, and I must say we're doing a pretty good job at keeping them. :3

- is games updates worthy of a post or not?
Depends, right? I'd say only real major updates, like the FTL one.

- what place do reviews have in the Steam News Thread?
I think they are better in the Community thread. You won't find anyway what your searching for and maybe reviews about not recent games, alas not news. Plus, in the Community thread people may comment on them.

- should the rules for the Steam community thread be kept or relaxed.
The rules are in my opinion fine as they are. We can surely be lenient when people are overstepping them a bit, but I think we should keep them as direction.

- New feature major updates, yes. Small bug fix updates, no.
- I think they're better off in Community, since well, they aren't news.
- Imo they are fine as is.

-I think game updates are worthy of a post if they're significant, the only problem with saying that is what is "significant" so instead how about only if they're paired with a sale of the game? (say Rise of the Triad gets a balance patch and new maps, that alone wouldn't be a post, but that in addition to something like 25%+ off would be fine)

-I don't think reviews should be in the steam news thread, I wouldn't classify someones review as being newsworthy, but that's just me.

-the rules here seem fine, but I'd be down with them being relaxed a bit as well.

Do the sidequests while playing, but ignore Riddler trophies until you're finished the game since some require specific gadgets to unlock and it's annoying to spend 10 minutes trying to get a riddler trophy only to then figure out it was because you didn't have X gadget.

I don't think game updates should be posted in the news thread unless they relate significantly to Steam itself, which is to say that unless the games are ditching third-party DRM/networking for Steamworks then they should be posted in the OTs/the game's most recent active thread and/or this community thread. Game updates that just expand upon existing content, like adding a new campaign or whatever, aren't really Steam news per se; they're Steam Community news more than anything.

- Only for major content updates, or other important updates (GFWL being replaced by Steamworks, for instance)

- Reviews != news. In a case where a game's on sale and someone's posted a review of it in the discussion thread, it might make sense to post a link to the review in the news thread ("Such-and-such is 75% off this week - so-and-so posted a review here.")

- I think everyone's been pretty well behaved here. Let's keep the rules as they are and maintain this level of enforcement.

Reviews done by this community should stay in the community.

Personally, I'd rather keep my reviews in the Steam thread here.

Late comments for MrOrange

- is games updates worthy of a post or not?

No, I don't think so, nor do I think the addition of cards is worthy. Unless it's a significant post with those additions, a review, and a related sale.

- what place do reviews have in the Steam News Thread?

As above, only when related to something newsworthy.

- should the rules for the Steam community thread be kept or relaxed.

I think the rules should stay but I think it should become the PC community thread. We talk about uPlay and Origin and GoG and such already, just bring them under the umbrella.

I don't know about patches being posted, but content being added to games should go there.

On updates I don't want people to come out and declare what games are worthwhile what games aren't. Either all games can have updates posted, or none can. I personally find the posts on updates fine, and interesting. I had no idea about Neo Scavanger until someone posted it had been updated, so I took a look at it.

- Major updates that have wider reaching implications are good, but I rather not see continous streams of patch notes or Payday 2 updates. But I think you can leave this up to peoples own volition too. I'm sure people can easily point out when it is a rather pointless post

- Reviews probably don't belong there, but as part of a sale for a game or if on topic for discussion, I think short impression are certainly valid to the degree of those in this threads OP

- I can't actually recall the rules, but what happens in this thread at the moment seems fairly reasonable. Things go off an a tangent from time to time but that is part of the fun. Thing tend to always return to the point after a time.

Thanks for all the feedback, some of the updates have varied views on what should and should not be in the News thread, I think I am going to leave it up to discretion, at the moment only one update has been posted for a game update and that was for a game that was on borderline for a GFWL removal. Of course it might be a bit silly to post a Game update for a game that has just removed black borders in game but it really depends on how many people are interested in the game - for example if it was TEW then yeah black borders are a issue but if it was a 3rd party game by paradox then i doubt there would be as much commotion on the matter. The overall bottom line is that I don't think people should be penalized for posting game updates as some of them may interest other readers.

As for reviews, they will stick in this thread, but I may duplicate the monthly reviews into the new one, as Gaming has a higher view share, plus no reads the first page of the Steam thread @ Community, if you still want reviews in this thread then I recommend helping out with posting with new game recommendations, I've only got two so far this month ;p

As for thread rules, I don't read this thread as much as a I would, in most cases it's a quick 10 minutes check everyday but things are starting to slide, granted we are no longer moderated but cutting down NSFW stuff and console bashing would be a great idea, this isn't HardForums or Reddit, this is a thread that everyone should be able to access without being shat on:

Welcome to your new adventure...

Why do I save all this pro PC gaming stuff anyway? It has become an addiction. :(

PbENFjy.gif

YP389se.jpg

+
put this also
tumblr_neytw01pPr1rk9zjbo1_1280.png

Not to mention the last time I recalled that master race posts were frowned upon and were a bannable offence.

Apoligies to pointing out those two gaffers but they were good examples of PCMASTERRACE!101010101010101!!!!!!!!!!!.

Nzyme32

That's still a pretty bad excuse though. StuBurns said it best

Also, it doesn't seem Valve have learned much since they're making a similar mistake with the Steam Universe initiative. Got announced too early and now they're on radio silence and people are wondering that's up, is it canned etc?

Poor excuse sure, but its one that I don't see a need to rise up against unless you are so certain that they have something or anything worth while to say. I wouldn't be surprised if anything they did say if pushed was simply disapointing whether lots has been scrapped or whatever.

As far as steam universe goes - again I don't know what it is you are looking for. Seems clear that the controller isn't up to par just yet and they are going to wait till 2015 as they work on it and whatever else. If they don't know when it will be ready in 2015 it could be a total mess to start putting out broken bits of info out without enough info for folks to understand the bigger picture.

Arguably, that has been the situation when they were trying to talk about everything more openly but without enough info. They needed the word out to get support from some folks, which is probably the reason why they actually spoke up so early about in the first place. From that point I think they simply have very little fully finalised and nothing meaningful to talk about that would make sense. I'm guessing they won't talk again till a dev days at some point when things are more final and then later they'll let rip so to speak when it's ready. Too much miscommunication from them because nothings ever ready or final.

MRORANGE

Apologies if that post^ seemed like back-seat modding, but we haven't had a a mod come in here in a while and I feel like I'm just playing gatekeeper at the moment.
I hope you found the advice useful/constructive on what is going to happen next with both threads.

If you think BF4 network issues are still an issue, CoD: Advanced Warfare is approximately infinitely worse in that regard.

I consider BF4 absolutely fantastic when it comes to network/latency. Especially compared to what it could be.

I don't know were I mentioned COD AW, but I was mainly joking, last time I played BF4 on PC it was fine, much improved.

Nzyme32

Apologies if that post^ seemed like back-seat modding, but we haven't had a a mod come in here in a while and I feel like I'm just playing gatekeeper at the moment.
I hope you found the advice useful/constructive on what is going to happen next with both threads.

Nah keep it up Orange. It's nice to have a sense of guidance for the threads

I wasn't aware you got to play this new game already. Thanks for the impressions.
You expect variety from Telltale, when all they've done the past few years is repeatedly copy the same structure. Do you genuinely think Games of Thrones is going to break the mold when they're smack in the middle of developing three projects simultaneously?

I am yet to run into any problems myself with the older games except for telltales stats servers not being up to the task on day one for the episodes.
My heart's fine.

From that point I think they simply have very little fully finalised and nothing meaningful to talk about that would make sense. I'm guessing they won't talk again till a dev days at some point when things are more final and then later they'll let rip so to speak when it's ready. Too much miscommunication from them because nothings ever ready or final.

But its not just Steam Universe.

Even publishers dont know the new Greenlight rules (why certain titles get greenlit now, wheras half a year ago the top 100 were greenlit with some selected by the people in charge of GL).
Then why are there still unfixed bugs in the Client (trade-offer bugs e.g.).
And about the trading cards. If they dont wanna develop a binder anymore or other seasons for cards, just say so.
The BPM also still has some well known bugs that havent really been fixed.

To me it just seems right now that Valve starts some projects, but then lets them "die".
I am sure Steam Music still wont get much more functions that a good musicplayer should have and that someone could easily code in a few days.

Nzyme32

You expect variety from Telltale, when all they've done the past few years is repeatedly copy the same structure. Do you genuinely think Games of Thrones is going to break the mold when they're smack in the middle of developing three projects simultaneously?

My heart's fine.

I really don't know what you are looking for here. I haven't made mention of new "variety" or "mold breaking". Although I am aware that you now play as multiple character by choice rather than a single protagonist or multiple sequentially. Is that "variety" or "mold breaking" that I didn't talk about previously?

And also just because I say that I had no issues with one exception, does not mean I disregard that others have had problems before. I don't think there is anything wrong with me expressing that I had no issues as that is my experience, just as I have no experience of this new game and you apparently have.

But its not just Steam Universe.

Even publishers dont know the new Greenlight rules (why certain titles get greenlit now, wheras half a year ago the top 100 were greenlit with some selected by the people in charge of GL).
Then why are there still unfixed bugs in the Client (trade-offer bugs e.g.).
And about the trading cards. If they dont wanna develop a binder anymore or other seasons for cards, just say so.
The BPM also still has some well known bugs that havent really been fixed.

To me it just seems right now that Valve starts some projects, but then lets them "die".
I am sure Steam Music still wont get much more functions that a good musicplayer should have and that someone could easily code in a few days.

That's a fair point. I don't follow greenlight ins and outs, but I do know the weirdness with steam music quite well. They regularly take and respond to feedback for the music thing, but nothing happens. Even the promised other formats haven't shown up. So yeah, they definitely have wide ranging communication issues and seem to be silent on everything.

I personally don't see much reason for hl3 / new game talk, but current active things required by users and devs must get info rather than silence

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I was taking a nap so I assume its old news that BB Continuum Shift Extended has a release date on steam now (its not just that japanese tweet talking about a PC version)

ASW also specifically mentions / teases "whats in the future? stay tuned" so theres hope for Xrd I guess?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
There's a page up for it?

store page? not yet but its December 11. Also online confirmed

"H2 Interactive has announced that ‘BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Extend’, developed by Arc System Works, will be released internationally for PC through global distribution platform Steam on December 11th, 2014.

The release supports both local and online multiplayer, as well as Korean, English, Japanese,and Chinese languages.

BB:CS Extend’s release on Steam is the latest in a string of Arc System Works’ titles coming to PC, following Guilty Gear Isuka, Guilty Gear X2 #Reload, and BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger. What does this mean for future Arc System Works titles? Stay tuned to find out!"

Poor excuse sure, but its one that I don't see a need to rise up against unless you are so certain that they have something or anything worth while to say. I wouldn't be surprised if anything they did say if pushed was simply disapointing whether lots has been scrapped or whatever.

I never said I want to rise up against anything. I'm totally against twitter bombing and other campaigns.

As far as steam universe goes - again I don't know what it is you are looking for. Seems clear that the controller isn't up to par just yet and they are going to wait till 2015 as they work on it and whatever else. If they don't know when it will be ready in 2015 it could be a total mess to start putting out broken bits of info out without enough info for folks to understand the bigger picture.

Arguably, that has been the situation when they were trying to talk about everything more openly but without enough info. They needed the word out to get support from some folks, which is probably the reason why they actually spoke up so early about in the first place. From that point I think they simply have very little fully finalised and nothing meaningful to talk about that would make sense. I'm guessing they won't talk again till a dev days at some point when things are more final and then later they'll let rip so to speak when it's ready. Too much miscommunication from them because nothings ever ready or final.

Just a heads up would suffice, really. And what they revealed has been pretty half-baked. Doesn't seem like they put much thought into and if they want this to succeed then they should spearhead it themselves by setting examples, not just asking others to join. Like, vogl, the main guy behind it left, and last I checked the other guy recently said he's been sidetracked that's why there's not much update. Umm...okay. Good luck with this attitude then.

Rhaknar

werent those KOF games coming in december aswell? all them 2d fighters

edit: ive never even heard of this Steam Universe, what is it supposed to be?

You don't think ending a game on a cliffhanger and acknowledging a next one is enough to warrant clear and straightforward status report?

I'm not entitled to HL3 and i'm not demanding. I'm demanding Valve to step forward and tell us if they are making a HL3 or not. And this 'demand' is simply the bare minimum one should expect from content creators. And Valve has no problem keeping players up to date on what's next for CS and DOTA. And Valve is using 'caring for fans' shameful excuse to not to provide that information.

Too Human? Phantom Dust? The Chrono series?

These are a few of my favorite things. As soon as I post this, I'll think of a dozen more.

My point is that this is not a unique situation. That Valve has been ghastly at communication with its fanbase, and it has been, does not excuse the pedantic behavior you suggest. It's entirely possible that the intent was to cruise through some more episodes or iterations. It's more than entirely possible and quite likely that their avenues changed. I don't want to tell you to hashtag deal with it, but your complaints are not unique to your setting and are not warranting of the behavior you suggest.

And just like that, I though of my biggest and most similar butt hurt: Star Wars.

Deitus

No, it's fine that you called it out. Regardless of the position of mods on the matter, PC Master Race is a meme that needs to be put to rest. I was going to say something about it when I read that post, but I didn't read it until a few hours later, and I decided to let it get buried on the previous page rather than bring it up again. While there is no way to put a stop to console wars in NeoGAF as a whole, we should be far enough removed from it that we don't need to engage in it, and when someone starts trying to bring that stuff in here, we should absolutely nip it in the bud.

Not only is it just all around dumb to engage in console wars shenanigans, but people seem to forget that a lot of PC gamers play on consoles as well, and there isn't a clear delineation between "peasants" and "master race". We're all just people who play games, sometimes on the same platform, and sometimes on different platforms. There's nothing to be gained by looking down on someone for choosing to play on a different piece of hardware from you.

----

On HL3:

Valve is a business, and they are not obligated to reveal anything to anyone. This is known. No customer of theirs is owed anything, other than the products they have paid money for (which presumably have all been delivered).

On the other hand, it's generally good business to treat your customers with respect, especially in an industry where fans can be a huge driver of sales and word of mouth advertising. Valve is perfectly within their rights to not say a damn thing about Half Life ever again, but they can't really be surprised that a 7 year radio silence on the franchise that put their company on the map might piss off their customer base.

That being said, there is no sense in organizing fan campaigns to force Valve to say or do anything about HL3. They know fans want it, and they know people want to hear the status of it (if they ever forget, the question comes up in pretty much every interview). If Valve is not talking about HL3, it has nothing to do with them not knowing people want it, so harassing PR people and camping out outside the Valve HQ with cardboard signs isn't going to change their position on the matter. If Valve doesn't have anything to say about HL3, the anniversary of HL2 isn't going to change that. You don't have to be happy about the fact that Valve hasn't seen fit to give a shit about a significant portion of their fanbase, but you should at least be smart and reasonable about it.

Nzyme32

I never said I want to rise up against anything. I'm totally against twitter bombing and other campaigns.

Just a heads up would suffice, really. And what they revealed has been pretty half-baked. Doesn't seem like they put much thought into and if they want this to succeed then they should spearhead it themselves by setting examples, not just asking others to join. Like, vogl, the main guy behind it left, and last I checked the other guy recently said he's been sidetracked that's why there's not much update. Umm...okay. Good luck with this attitude then.

I think I agree with a heads up. A lot of the time if not all the time, no one has a clue what they are up to or if they are paying attention. They seem a lot less personable than they were back in the day since they are so silent.

Rhaknar

question for those that played both 2033 and Last Light. Does Last Light continue with the
supernatural
angle? Man there is A LOT of it in 2033, I had completely forgotten it. Theres a straight up
ghost train
in a level that I did earlier o_O

such a weird wonderful universe. Kinda makes me want to read the books

Pakkidis

so 70$CDN seems to be the norm for new releases...I remember when people were saying digital was going to be cheaper than retail....um.....no...

Turfster

so 70$CDN seems to be the norm for new releases...I remember when people were saying digital was going to be cheaper than retail....um.....no...
Blame next gen consoles.
Besides, most good non-AAA bullshit games are priced much friendlier.

Telltale Games and Gearbox are having a... conversation on twitter, blands related.

Tenrius

question for those that played both 2033 and Last Light. Does Last Light continue with the
supernatural
angle? Man there is A LOT of it in 2033, I had completely forgotten it. Theres a straight up
ghost train
in a level that I did earlier o_O

such a weird wonderful universe. Kinda makes me want to read the books

I don't know about the games, but I wouldn't really recommend the books. Well, there are actually only two books written by the original author. The first one is okayish, it has a nice setting, but it's spent on a braindead action movie plot that's just not very fun to read. I picked up the sequel at some point, but couldn't really get into it for some reason. And then there's the book franchise, that's just a cashgrab you'd better stay away from as far as I know. 36+ books written by no-name authors.

MUnited83

For you.
Blame next gen consoles.
Besides, most good non-AAA bullshit games are priced much friendlier.

Next-gen consoles? Digital being more expensive than digital has been true for quite a long while now, way before next-gen consoles. 60 euros digital PC games can be bought for much cheaper before they even release.

Chariot

Nah, it's always good if someone reasonable calls for order before or while things get out of hand.

Rhaknar

this tales from the blands trailer is shockingly alright o_O

Monooboe

YAY - Everything in my life will be better this coming new decade, I know it!

Vq6M5O3.png
NFXMFM2.png

Could actually be from an iPad, since I'm sure telltale will be pushing this for mobile as much as PC and consoles. It could also just be some concept stuff. No answers yet.

Oh nice! 10 years for me too today.:D

Khronico

Oh goody. I come home excited to play some blackguards and my laptop won't turn on. I let it go through an automatic repair and it says it cant load windows. I try to restore from a previous restore point and it just goes back to the splash screen with no prompts, loading bars, nothing. I cant get past the initial splash screen. I'm assuming the hard drive is corrupted or something. This is after a catastrophic hardware failure a month ago where pretty much every part in it died all at once for no reason, which required me to send it in for repairs. Sorry for the OT rambling but I felt like I needed to vent.

Rhaknar

what double fine game is that about anyway? Chalice or the 2 part adventure I forget the name?

Vibranium

Banned
Half Life fans got it good compared to some other franchise fans. Don't understand why people are going nuts.

Yeah, Brothers in Arms fans have had to wait through 2 Gearbox Borderlands games, Duke Nukem Forever, Aliens Colonial Marines and the spin-off Furious 4 (which is apparently still coming out sometime with a new look). Half Life 3 will probably be out before the final installment of Matt Baker and 101st Airborne's story....goddamn Bastogne cliffhanger. Not to mention with Randy Pitchford still around it could turn out badly.

I was playing some HL2 today and I just had a random thought, what about a Blue Shift 2? I know people prefer OF to BS but I liked it a lot back in the day.

derExperte

Half Life fans got it good compared to some other franchise fans. Don't understand why people are going nuts.

Probably because we know that there's nothing obvious preventing them from doing a new HL or at least a short E3. Valve should have the resources, they know demand is there (something you can't say about a lot of other franchises), no rights issues, theoretically all they'd need to do is get off their butts. So close, yet....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom