• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2014 - Ride of the Valkyries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawmuncher

Well, yeah it's in game then. Frankly, I don't care too much on how it looks. Although I do find it interesting that since this is based on the books but they are using the TV versions of character, most likely to appeal to the larger audience. I'm sure there are some book nerds ready to kill someone :p

While the popularity plays a big part, if anything I think it's because the other company holds the book rights. The guys that did the RTS and RPG. Thus the only option really was the show.

hopefully it's truer to the books than the damn tv show

Anyone's guess there.

Shadownet

Banned
I played some DM in CS:GO for the first time because I wanted to do some "missions" in the new Operation (have played around 100 hours of competitive) and it was pretty surprising that it's a very good and fast DM shooter too. Like a modern COD, but without perks, overpowered weapons or any other bullshit. Just fast skill based action. I don't think I will still play anything outside competitive anytime soon but if competitive isn't for you and you like to shoot stuff CS:GO is pretty much the best thing out there right now.

CSGO is a lot better than CoD and I played CoD for years before. It's 70% skill, 29% knowledge and 1% luck.

Edit: I really like that I'll get to play Dragon Age Inquisition at 12AM and not 12PM on Tuesday. Volvo please.

So I got a case on Mountain Dew Voltage that comes with this Advanced Warfare something or other code. Do those things expire? Because I don't plan to open the case for about a month. And if not, does anyone here play it and/or would be interested in said code, since I have no interest in duty calls of any kind?

While the popularity plays a big part, if anything I think it's because the other company holds the book rights. The guys that did the RTS and RPG. Thus the only option really was the show.

IIRC Cyanide (developer of the previous GoT games) had the license and was developing the games before the show hit it big, so they ended up lucking into a very popular product.

I've heard nothing good about the strategy game, but some people liked the RPG. Hopefully TellTale's game is in the latter category, at the very least.

Saty

With Dota, it was an update that they called "annual."

HL3 was never promised and you're not entitled to the game because you liked its previous iterations.

And do you really think that engrossing of an answer will come of that kind of action?

You don't think ending a game on a cliffhanger and acknowledging a next one is enough to warrant clear and straightforward status report?

I'm not entitled to HL3 and i'm not demanding. I'm demanding Valve to step forward and tell us if they are making a HL3 or not. And this 'demand' is simply the bare minimum one should expect from content creators. And Valve has no problem keeping players up to date on what's next for CS and DOTA. And Valve is using 'caring for fans' shameful excuse to not to provide that information.

IIRC Cyanide (developer of the previous GoT games) had the license and was developing the games before the show hit it big, so they ended up lucking into a very popular product.

I've heard nothing good about the strategy game, but some people liked the RPG. Hopefully TellTale's game is in the latter category, at the very least.

Arent Telltale Games nowadays always the same thing? Since more episodes are announced I guess it will either be a point and click (and doubt it) or like Walking Dead, Tales of Borderlands and Wolf Among Us.

Sajjaja

That might be the reason why I suck at CSGO but am moderately good at BF4.
Although I did get accused of cheating once and never felt so proud in my entire CSGO life.

More like 10% luck, 20% skill, 15% concentrated power of will, 5% pleasure, 50% pain, and 100% reason to remember the name.

You don't think ending a game on a cliffhanger and acknowledging a next one is enough to warrant clear and straightforward status report?

I'm not entitled to HL3 and i'm not demanding. I'm demanding Valve to step forward and tell us if they are making a HL3 or not. And this 'demand' is simply the bare minimum one should expect from content creators. And Valve has no problem keeping players up to date on what's next for CS and DOTA. And Valve is using 'caring for fans' shameful excuse to not to provide that information.

hl3 is being made

you know this

come on man

its not worth making some community dudes life hell for a few days

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
I was just browsing the internet, and ....

just imagine how GOOD this game would look on PC!! O_O

Bamco, get to work, goddammit!!

338397.jpg

sorry for the quote, but the image is huuuuuuge

Saty

No, we deserve a plain message that isn't hiding behind codewords. I want a direct 'The next HL game is being made. It's SP in the same way the previous ones were. The game is at the X stage. Don't expect it before Y year'.

Shadownet

Banned
That might be the reason why I suck at CSGO but am moderately good at BF4.
Although I did get accused of cheating once and never felt so proud in my entire CSGO life.
I've seen really good players who have never play a particular map in CSGO, they would still play very well because they have good aim and know how to play angles, plus they would learn the map halfway through. I have a friend who told me I would be a much higher level if I know how to hold angles better lol. not sure I believe him though.

sorry for the quote, but the image is huuuuuuge

I wish more people do this. Put a goddamn quote around your images please.

Hmm she looks familar

B2ht8v7CAAADb6A.jpg

Looking like telltale have either tweaked their engine or got a whole new one for this. In any case, I will miss out on this unlike every other telltale game, but only because I am yet to watch any Game of Thrones and get the impression I might need to if it starts somewhere around it's 3rd season
What? Just going off by how ugly those screenshots are, it'll likely be running on the same ancient piece of shit engine that Telltale has been milking for years on end. Don't expect them to make any kind of advancements (be it technological or otherwise) any time soon, not until people stop paying full price for their products.

Zeknurn

Testing out some old games since I can't play DA:I yet. And I can finally play The Saboteur without performance problems, yay.

Some low textures here and there but still looks good enough, considering it's a 5 year old game.

A damn fine game. I should replay it as I haven't played it since it came out.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
No, we deserve a plain message that isn't hiding behind codewords. I want a direct 'The next HL game is being made. It's SP in the same way the previous ones were. The game is at the X stage. Don't expect it before Y year'.

And I'm sure those same fans who demand such things will be incredibly understanding if they happen to change any details or miss that release day.

Saty

Yes they will. Like they did before. Stop legitimizing Valve's excuse. Put up a poll and ask the fans how they want it handled instead of choosing for them.

Vuze

So, I've managed to confuse myself yet again lol
About the AllowCrossRegionTradingAndGifting tag. How do I tell which country belongs to which region? Is it dependant on the different subs that the app offers? Like say, I can trade this with everyone but Japan, CIS, RUS and UK?

madjoki

So, I've managed to confuse myself yet again lol
About the AllowCrossRegionTradingAndGifting tag. How do I tell which country belongs to which region? Is it dependant on the different subs that the app offers? Like say, I can trade this with everyone but Japan, CIS, RUS and UK?

No. You can trade it with anyone. It's just that can't be bought in those countries.

AllowCrossRegionTradingAndGifting only affects copies bought in certain areas, US&EU copies are still region free.

MadGear

I played some DM in CS:GO for the first time because I wanted to do some "missions" in the new Operation (have played around 100 hours of competitive) and it was pretty surprising that it's a very good and fast DM shooter too. Like a modern COD, but without perks, overpowered weapons or any other bullshit. Just fast skill based action. I don't think I will still play anything outside competitive anytime soon but if competitive isn't for you and you like to shoot stuff CS:GO is pretty much the best thing out there right now.

I'm not a big CSGO player myself and mainly play casual. I know that the strength and focus of CS:GO is on the competitive scene, but so far I really do enjoy the casual part of it which to me is primarily DM (although the revised Arms Race also seems like a lot of fun now) and i actually enjoy it far more than participating in the competitive part myself, however i still enjoy watching pro-gamers play the game during one these bigger events.
It still feels kind of awkward to me but yeah, thats what I currently enjoy about CSGO.

MUnited83

For you.

You ain't getting it. Don't waste your time and stop caring about that.

Vuze

No. You can trade it with anyone. It's just that can't be bought in those countries.

AllowCrossRegionTradingAndGifting only affects copies bought in certain areas, US&EU copies are still region free.

I see, thanks. But is there a definitive list of which countries are affected by the tag or which countries belong to which region?

Anteater

omg ff13 crashed right before i save my game, fuck

edit: apparently it's steam that crashed completely, fuck

now i have to fight that shitty boss again

When did that happen? This is the first time I've heard about it.

http://half-life.wikia.com/wiki/Future_of_the_Half-Life_series

In May, Episode Three is announced for a Christmas 2007 release.[5]
The same month, it is revealed that a new Episode will be released every six to eight months, and will take four to six hours to complete. An Episode Four, developed outside of Valve and with a stand-alone plot, is also mentioned.[1][6]
In June, Gordon Freeman is confirmed as the main protagonist of Episode Three

Nzyme32

What? Just going off by how ugly those screenshots are, it'll likely be running on the same ancient piece of shit engine that Telltale has been milking for years on end. Don't expect them to make any kind of advancements (be it technological or otherwise) any time soon, not until people stop paying full price for their products.

To me it looks a step up from walking dead and wolf among us. I don't think a new or tweaked engine should mean escape from "ugly". In the end the games are aimed at mobile and old consoles as well as everything else. Further to that, the narrative, relatability and believability of characters is what is important for their games. Couldn't give a damn about the graphics whoring on this one.

L.O.R.D

nvnHRr9.jpg

well , that was fun , and not very hard
i liked walking to a very huge group of zombies , and use my Split Shot machine gun
its just like using the spreader gun in contra , you kill 20 zombies and one burst

too bad the all the survivors are glitched on me and now they are under the ground , literally under the game textures
now i can't get that achievement

Phinor

BF4 is 20% SRAW skills, 78% network latency, 2% skill.

If you think BF4 network issues are still an issue, CoD: Advanced Warfare is approximately infinitely worse in that regard.

I consider BF4 absolutely fantastic when it comes to network/latency. Especially compared to what it could be.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
It would actually make them come forward and say something? It worked for Dota. The HL fandom played nice for years and we got zero to show for it. Valve has no excuses for the way the handled themselves regarding the HL franchise.

LMAOOOOOOO

You're really serious

To me it looks a step up from walking dead and wolf among us. I don't think a new or tweaked engine should mean escape from "ugly". In the end the games are aimed at mobile and old consoles as well as everything else. Further to that, the narrative, relatability and believability of characters is what is important for their games. Couldn't give a damn about the graphics whoring on this one.
It's a marked step down from The Walking Dead and The Wolf Among Us precisely because Game of Thrones tries to go for a stylistic approach that their pitiful excuse of an engine simply isn't cut out for; the simplistic comic book look was at least effective at covering things up to a degree and they'll age better than Game of Thrones guaranteed. Older generation consoles can do loads better than what we're seeing too, and the sorry state of their models / animations directly affects the immersion of the overall tone its story is attempting to envoke. Some of the models in those screenshots are embarrassing for a studio of their... "pedigree" no matter which way you slice it.

Never mind that versatality isn't much of an excuse for the graphical cutbacks considering that their games perform poorly and are riddled with bugs on every single platform.

Nzyme32

Then Valve should be called out on their pitiful communication and treatment of its fan base. Which i did.

I think they were perfectly clear in Gabe's AMA on reddit.

When we announced our products years in advance in the past and then were really late delivering them, it was pretty painful for both us and the community. We'd rather not repeat that.

To me it seems to already indicate that a sequel is still years away and that they know even then that any estimate date would probably also be delayed further.

Can't remember where I saw the other response but the gist was that they go through so many changes that anything they would say would end up being pointless.

Seems like they take a lot of the blame on themselves rather than the community as someone else suggested. As for why they don't talk about hl2 and its anniversary. That's a good question, but it might as well be asked of all the products that all saw no mentions of such anniversaries.

Lain

I've been playing How to Survive today and, despite a certain level of repetition, it's given me enough enjoyment crafting my weapons to destroy the zombies. The limited inventory space is something I haven't been enjoying instead, especially since the fishing rod I dropped ended up disappearing, making me paranoid to drop stuff that could become useful for a weapon or armor recipe later on..

I think they were perfectly clear in Gabe's AMA on reddit.

To me it seems to already indicate that a sequel is still years away and that they know even then that any estimate date would probably also be delayed further.

Can't remember where I saw the other response but the gist was that they go through so many changes that anything they would say would end up being pointless.

Seems like they take a lot of the blame on themselves rather than the community as someone else suggested. As for why they don't talk about hl2 and its anniversary. That's a good question, but it might as well be asked of all the products that all saw no mentions of such anniversaries.

That's still a pretty bad excuse though. StuBurns said it best

I don't think it's exclusively revolving around HL3, although obviously that's the key title. Valve have given some mixed messaging in regards to where they see their development going, and the longer we go without hearing anything about new titles, the more the doubt will grow I think. That's not disregarding their multiplayer software, but there's no doubt that despite some crossover, the core audience of Half-Life or Portal is different than the core audiences for CS/TF/DotA.

I think really it's the sense of unknowing that causes the more vocal complaints. The absurd allusions to HL3 despite their decision not to formally acknowledge it at all. The hints at Source 2, but to what end? Is it positioning to revolutionize the FPS genre as the previous Half-Life entries did? Or is it just going to improve scalability in Dota 2 and renderer in TF2?

I understand the rational behind the secrecy, but I think it's backfired. You can't talk about HL3 via a Ricochet sequel euphemism, then also believe no one can be frustrated by the anticipation for a game since it's not announced.

Secrecy is something this industry holds strangely dear, I'd I've never understood it. Considering they take so much from the Hollywood model, this is something they've taken the opposite stance on, and I think to its detriment. As soon as a producer is attached to a film script, a project is announced, it gets an IMDB page, everything is public. As soon as they're ready to fix a release date, it's public, and it can be years away. Around the launch of The Orange Box, Valve said a HL3 would take eight to ten years. There's nothing wrong with that. This year, Richard Linklater released Boyhood, after more then twelve years in the making, and people swooned all over it. Terry Malick's Tree of Life was in various stages of development for thirty years, and it's a masterpiece. There's nothing wrong with spending a decade on HL3, and more importantly, there's nothing wrong with letting people know that, even if you don't have anything to show when you tell them.

It's the unknowing that creates this doubt and negativity. If Valve just said "We're working on L4D3 and HL3 on Source 2, we'll show them if and when we're ready", obviously you'd still see a bunch of 'showmetherecipts.gif' posts, but at least they wouldn't be actively causing the frustration surrounding the mystery. And more importantly, if they're not, announce it. You have half the fanbase pointing to vague AMA statements and years old podcasts as proof, you have the other half pointing at vague quotes about the death of single player and where staff are most valuable versus potential player hours.

No one really knows what they're doing, and I don't understand how that benefits Valve or their fans.

Also, it doesn't seem Valve have learned much since they're making a similar mistake with the Steam Universe initiative. Got announced too early and now they're on radio silence and people are wondering that's up, is it canned etc?

Nzyme32

It's a marked step down from The Walking Dead and The Wolf Among Us precisely because Game of Thrones tries to go for a stylistic approach that their pitiful excuse of an engine simply isn't cut out for; the simplistic comic book look was at least effective at covering things up to a degree and they'll age better than Game of Thrones guaranteed. Older generation consoles can do loads better than what we're seeing too, and the sorry state of their models / animations directly affects the immersion of the overall tone its story is attempting to envoke. Some of the models in those screenshots are embarrassing for a studio of their... "pedigree" no matter which way you slice it.

Never mind that versatality isn't much of an excuse for the graphical cutbacks considering that their games perform poorly and are riddled with bugs on every single platform.

I wasn't aware you got to play this new game already. Thanks for the impressions. I am yet to run into any problems myself with the older games except for telltales stats servers not being up to the task on day one for the episodes.

I suppose since I expect so little I'm not too bothered by it and pleasantly surprised with this on the looks scale. Still as I said before, it is the first telltale game I won't get since I haven't watched the show and it seems to be heavily related. Plus I struggle to get into the whole medevil time period and swords shields dragons and other bric-a-brac. Maybe eventually pending review and opinions

Saty

Then they should say so directly and plainly. Stuff being painful doesn't excuse remaining silent for 7 years.
And again, forget about HL. We haven't been able to get a straight word about if and how Valve is making future SP games.

When Newell goes on the record saying that the skills for creating 20hrs SP campaign are useless for what Valve is currently doing then Valve sure as hell needs to address the situation instead of leaving fans hanging.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom