• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2014 - Ride of the Valkyries

Status
Not open for further replies.
Strongly leaning towards the WiiU, but XBO has some cool games now and coming down the pipe. Sunset Overdrive (out of everything, this is the most likely to see a PC release, MCC, Quantum Break, Phantom Dust, Gears, Scalebound, etc.

Bloodborne is awesome, I love FromSoft, but early 2015 is just ludicrously packed with games. Witcher 3, Evolve, Killing Floor 2, Hotline Miami 2, REmake, Below, and I might be forgetting some. Getting a PS4 for that one game might not be realistic, hell I can barely justify getting a WiiU at this point and that is the strongest current gen console by a wide margin.
Master Chief Collection is a great package in theory but it's quite buggy for the time being + a PC release is somewhat likely, Sunset Overdrive looks rather boring (to me) by virtue of it being an Insomniac game combined with magnetized platforming and bland enemies + likely PC release and we haven't seen anything about the other 3. Kamiya has a fantastic track record and all, but last I heard it was moreso a Microsoft team developing the thing with Kamiya overlooking it so who knows how that'll turn out. I'm not expecting much from Phantom Dust with how... plain they made it look with the announcement teaser, and I wouldn't be surprised if it had a messed up F2P scheme. Really hope it won't turn out like that though, the original is one of a kind. Forza Horizon 2 does appear to be a worthwhile highlight, however.

Wii U has at least 15 great titles currently (+ GOTY Bayonetta 2) and we have a clear idea what their releases for the relative near-future are looking like. Add to that at least another 30+ good to great games if you've never owned a Wii before. Unmatched bang for buck compared to the other two current-gen consoles.

PS4 to me looks to have a more promising library than the X-bone over the next half year. Bloodborne being an obvious one, The Tomorrow Children, Tearaway, Michel Ancel's WILD, the new Housemarque project and various other titles I'm forgetting. Couple of neat lookin' indies like Velocity 2X, Pix the Cat and Galak-Z too, with (sadly) no concrete date for their PC ports yet. Sony's gamescom conference was fairly impressive to me since it showcased much-needed diversity, but the majority of these games likely won't be due for another 6+ months. Still in much better shape than the X-bone though and that's ignoring the technical superiority of the machine itself when putting them both side-by-side.

You can probably justify simply waiting another year for the reasons you listed though, but in my eyes it's Wii U >>> PS4 > X-bone right about now.

so 70$CDN seems to be the norm for new releases...I remember when people were saying digital was going to be cheaper than retail....um.....no...

They're cheaper than retail once they get marked down and/or go on sale. You know, by the time brick-and-mortar shops no longer care.

MRORANGE

In terms of a compliment console for the PC:

- Don't bother for X1 unless MS wisens up and stops putting exclusives on Steam.
- Don't bother with PS4 until 2016 at the earliest, it took PS3 5+ years to develop a good library, the way things are going its going to take PS4 a long time.
- Get a Wii U / 3DS: tons of 1st party goodness and you can find one very cheaply.
- Avoid a vita at all costs.

zkylon

zkylewd
3dses are region locked, right?

i have this friend in japan that can get one for 75 bucks

the go for like 400 usd here so i'm thinking about it

Sarcasm

Avoid vita at all costs..yea....I suggest to ignore that.

Also screw Nintendo region locking...wouldn't matter if they even offered a WiiU in my region which they don't.

3dses are region locked, right?

i have this friend in japan that can get one for 75 bucks

the go for like 400 usd here so i'm thinking about it

Yea in my same region? Cause that about right for a 3DS NA edition.

Tenrius

- Don't bother for X1 unless MS wisens up and stops putting exclusives on Steam.
- Don't bother with PS4 until 2016 at the earliest, it took PS3 5+ years to develop a good library, the way things are going its going to take PS4 a long time.
- Get a Wii U / 3DS: tons of 1st party goodness and you can find one very cheaply.

But how else are you going to play the Danganronpa games?!

zkylon

zkylewd
i really want gravity rush tho :/

like i know i'd have fun with stuff on a 3ds but gravity rush :/

wii u is def tempting, new zelda and bayo

ps4 i want bloodborne but i guess buying a console for 1 game is not such a great idea

not that i'm gonna buy anything with the prices in argieland (1k for a ps4, 400 for a 3ds, 350 for a vita)

Sarcasm

Ignore the Vita naysayers. Same people who cried end of the world being moved into community =p.

I mean heck I imported a vita and a 64gb card for 260 bucks.

tmarg

i really want gravity rush tho :/

like i know i'd have fun with stuff on a 3ds but gravity rush :/

wii u is def tempting, new zelda and bayo

ps4 i want bloodborne but i guess buying a console for 1 game is not such a great idea

not that i'm gonna buy anything with the prices in argieland (1k for a ps4, 400 for a 3ds, 350 for a vita)

How much would they cost to import from the US? I'm sure customs would be a pain, but there is a lot of room between those prices and US ones.

tmarg

Ignore the Vita naysayers. Same people who cried end of the world being moved into community =p.

There is a ton of stuff I would love to play on the Vita, but most of it is stuff I could also play on the PC. It's really hard to compete with Nintendo exclusives on handhelds. I love the 3DS, and the DS library has a ton of depth.

And another one:

1674ec2f1b.png

It's hilarious how they can't even use proper grammar.

zkylon

zkylewd

yea i mean, i mostly want gravity rush and monster hunter, really. i don't even know what else is on the vita

How much would they cost to import from the US? I'm sure customs would be a pain, but there is a lot of room between those prices and US ones.

there's a lot of taxes for importing crap. at least 35% off everything (say, i'll have to pay 35% extra for the nendoroids my friend bought)

there's also a weird limit in how many stuff you can import to like 2 items a year or something (or else you gotta pay massive taxes). so like buying games from the us is not really an option either

it's complicated :/

Milamber

Already done. Now what?

Sarcasm

There is a ton of stuff I would love to play on the Vita, but most of it is stuff I could also play on the PC. It's really hard to compete with Nintendo exclusives on handhelds. I love the 3DS, and the DS library has a ton of depth.

I am not paying that premium to import a NA region 3DS nor willing to pay higher for the games due to importing nor jumping through loops to use their digital store.

It be nice to have a 3DS and a vita!

But 260 total for importing from JP for 64GB card and vita too good to pass up =D

yea i mean, i mostly want gravity rush and monster hunter, really. i don't even know what else is on the vita

there's a lot of taxes for importing crap. at least 35% off everything (say, i'll have to pay 35% extra for the nendoroids my friend bought)

there's also a weird limit in how many stuff you can import to like 2 items a year or something (or else you gotta pay massive taxes). so like buying games from the us is not really an option either

it's complicated :/

Which version of MH? The newest is on nintendo... Unless you mean freedom wars which is awesome!

Milamber

I am not paying that premium to import a NA region 3DS nor willing to pay higher for the games due to importing nor jumping through loops to use their digital store.

It be nice to have a 3DS and a vita!

But 260 total for importing from JP for 64GB card and vita too good to pass up =D

NA 3DS can't be that expensive. Where do you live? I used 2 UK 2DS's before grabbing a US 2DS and I'm in the middle east.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
So this is what happens when the Steam thread goes to community.

I don't really like Freedom Wars. I'll hit Code 3 with my next mission, and I'm really not sure if I can take much more.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
The last phishing message I got was immediately after I posted a comment on an update from a semi popular Steam group.

Tenrius

It's hilarious how they can't even use proper grammar.

There's actually some interesting theory behind this (see image below). It's dealing with email scams, which is a bit different, but basically, it's not worth it to put much effort into good grammar, etc, as the goal is to find gullible/inattentive enough people to click the link/send the money to the Nigerian prince. Those gullible enough will click the link/send the money regardless of the contents of the message, so it's more efficient to make it as simple to produce as possible:

g2-cmvtnqlqplope.jpg

I'm sure their English grammar is better than my grammar in whatever their native language is.

That's a strange thing to say. Even disregarding the fact that they are bots sending out automated messages in quick succession or that their creators' native language is very likely English grammar, what does your supposed proficiency in someone's native language has to with anything? I'm sorry, but I always wonder when people say something like this.

Are you selling items on TF2 outpost or a similar site?

Nope, never even tried it. I'm a member of several public groups, but I never post anything there. I don't mind it too much lol, it doesn't happen often.

zkylon

zkylewd
There's actually some interesting theory behind this (see image below). It's dealing with email scams, which is a bit different, but basically, it's not worth it to put much effort into good grammar, etc, as the goal is to find gullible/inattentive enough people to click the link/send the money to the Nigerian prince. Those gullible enough will click the link/send the money regardless of the contents of the message, so it's more efficient to make it as simple to produce as possible:

g2-cmvtnqlqplope.jpg

wow that's actually super interesting

tmarg

no idea tbh

i feel like monster hunter is the kind of game i'd enjoy and i really want to give it a shot some day

I just started playing my first MH (the Wii U one), and I'm really enjoying it.

It sort of has an MMOish quality to it, in that you can just sort of casually grind for materials, or you can engage in a huge battle with a crazy boss, depending on what you feel like at the time. Of course, the actual combat is way better.

On the other hand, I have almost no idea what I'm doing, and the game is terrible at teaching you.

MUnited83

For you.

Terrible advice. Everyone should buy a Vita.

Sarcasm

I just started playing my first MH (the Wii U one), and I'm really enjoying it.

It sort of has an MMOish quality to it, in that you can just sort of casually grind for materials, or you can engage in a huge battle with a crazy boss, depending on what you feel like at the time. Of course, the actual combat is way better.

On the other hand, I have almost no idea what I'm doing, and the game is terrible at teaching you.

Nice to see they haven't changed it!

I played MHF1 up to MHP3G (In Japanese) so basically before the nintendo thing and its great..I even played the actual JP MH MMO

kudoboi

I get these guys every time I refresh my TF2 Outpost trade. My policy now is that if your profile is locked down I'm not adding you cause I'm likely to get this my friend shit.

i dont accept any friend requests from users with steam level 1 and below unless i recognise him from a match i played recently

tmarg

That's a strange thing to say. Even disregarding the fact that they are bots sending out automated messages in quick succession or that their creators' native language is very likely English grammar, what does your supposed proficiency in someone's native language has to with anything? I'm sorry, but I always wonder when people say something like this.

I really doubt the creators of those messages are native English speakers, they are most likely copy/pasted off google translate or whatever. If they actually were native speakers, creating a more authentic sounding message would be trivial, especially since, as you point out, the actual messages are automated and they would only have to create a better greeting once.

Of all the faults I could find with a bunch of scammers, criticizing their lack of English skills seems pointless.

- Have a decent job and buy all of them, not very expensive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom