• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2014 - Ride of the Valkyries

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmarg

also wtf is up with the fan votes

ixrCfo8nt1krO.png

this shit is embarrassing, you can't even read the names of the guys on the lower right

and rekkles for league of legends? wth, where are my beloved koreans T_T

Ok, so I just googled "nadeshot" (the guy they gave the most screen space to), and apparently he's a COD player. Who the fuck considers COD an esport?

Arthea

Yes? It's just kind of embarrassing. It's like there were about ten games total that people played this year. Just like the Oscars are sad, predictable, eye-rolling, and barely worth paying attention to anymore.

I totally agree with you on Oscars, for different reasons though, but really irrelevancy of those awards for me is nothing short of astounding.

I don't really get where are you coming with this particular event. It's popularity contest, all gaming awards are, and as that they are useless and irrelevant, as any popularity based awards, but what else to base such events on? How would you handle that?

Tellaerin

ixrCfo8nt1krO.png

this shit is embarrassing, you can't even read the names of the guys on the lower right

Is "rekkles" supposed to be pronounced "reckless" or something? Because all I think when I see it is "freckles". That isn't exactly the sort of name that inspires fear in the competition.

And what's up with the "angry 12 year old trying to look hard" face on Matt "I'm not going to bother capitalizing every other letter to type out his damn handle" Haag?

Oof. A pay it forward lightning raffle. I entered with just seconds to go before realizing I wasn't eligible.

This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Does "first come first serve" in that context mean the other rules don't apply? Or does it mean it's a no-lurker pay-it-forward first come first serve?

zkylon

zkylewd
i voted Rekkles because he helped me go 11-0 in my fantasy League
nice

i lost almost all my fantasy leagues lol

for sure both of neogaf's

It look more like "I've been abused as a child" face.

Those bags under his eyes.
no need to think about any of your weird child abusing feelings with kakao

tumblr_mwf67x3KCq1qjluivo1_1384711485_cover.jpg

he's just sunshine and rainbows

Is "rekkles" supposed to be pronounced "reckless" or something? Because all I think when I see it is "freckles". That isn't exactly the sort of name that inspires fear in the competition.
yeah, it's "rekkles" like "reckless"

it's kinda dumb cos rekkles' is kinda famous for being mechanically talented by overly safe and risk adverse

Ok, so I just googled "nadeshot" (the guy they gave the most screen space to), and apparently he's a COD player. Who the fuck considers COD an esport?
ah i thought he was like a sc2 player or something

yeah, really weird

Kaleinc

Banned

ixrCfo8nt1krO.png

They took No.1's picture after he played 7 months non stop? Dem eyes.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Resident Evil Revelations 2 store page is up, no price/prepurchase option yet though.

been up for awhile dude

I assume I own Fractured Space because it was one of those keys you could add even tho the game wasnt on steam yet or something? or is it having a free weekend? because I didnt add it today thats for sure

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I totally agree with you on Oscars, for different reasons though, but really irrelevancy of those awards for me is nothing short of astounding.

I don't really get where are you coming with this particular event. It's popularity contest, all gaming awards are, and as that they are useless and irrelevant, as any popularity based awards, but what else to base such events on? How would you handle that?

I just expect a bit more effort from their "jury" which isn't that large. If it was voted by the internet the selection would make more sense, but when you have like 20ish dudes picking stuff they could have tried a bit harder.

Arthea

been up for awhile dude

I assume I own Fractured Space because it was one of those keys you could add even tho the game wasnt on steam yet or something? or is it having a free weekend? because I didnt add it today thats for sure
Oh I wasn't sure how I got it either!
It's not a free weekend game, though

denx

Best Performance Nominee Trey Parker as "Various Voices"
Oh yeah, I loved that performance.
smh

Much shorter than saying Best Performance Nominee Trey Parker as "Stan, Cartman, Randy, Jimmy, Mr Garrison, Clyde, Mr Hanky, Mr Mackey, Barbrady, Satan, Scott the Dick, Terrance and Phillip, the Goth Kids, Timmy and Underpant Gnomes" don't you think? :p

Tellaerin

Oh look, Ghost in the Shell has been turned into a class based online shooter. I'm going to go cry now.

The idea is awesome, as far as I'm concerned. Especially with how much of Shirow's stuff revolves around police/ESWAT/etc. I'd totally play it... if it wasn't an F2P game from Nexon, which pretty much guarantees that it's going to be unbalanced shit that's been optimized to (try to) drain money from your bank account.

Arthea

I just expect a bit more effort from their "jury" which isn't that large. If it was voted by the internet the selection would make more sense, but when you have like 20ish dudes picking stuff they could have tried a bit harder.

OK, let's do short social experiment and you'll see why they picked it what they picked
(popular games)
19 posters counting up from this my post, please kindly post your let's say 3 GOTY nominations (not to make it too spammy) in spoiler tags. It's for science!

edited: I'll start to encourage participation
Trails in the Sky
The Room
Atelier Escha & Logy

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
OK, let's do short social experiment and you'll see why they picked it what they picked
(popular games)
20 posters counting up from this my post, please kindly post your let's say 3 GOTY nominations (not to make it too spammy) in spoiler tags. It's for science!

I'll save you time and spam: last year Rogue Legacy was GOTY in this thread. That shows a hell of a lot more open-mindedness than the list I'm complaining about.

Uzzy

The idea is awesome, as far as I'm concerned. Especially with how much of Shirow's stuff revolves around police/ESWAT/etc. I'd totally play it... if it wasn't an F2P game from Nexon, which pretty much guarantees that it's going to be unbalanced shit that's been optimized to (try to) drain money from your bank account.

Oh sure, Ghost in the Shell certainly has a military side to it. And running around with Section 9 is something I'll always want to do. But it's got so much more going for it. The original movie has it's strong philosophical angle, while the series Stand Alone Complex, on which this game is based, is almost a police procedural in many places. It's a shame to see a new GITS game focus solely on the military side of the franchise and ignore the rest. As jshackles says:

I love Ghost in the Shell, but this just seems like a waste of a perfectly good license.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 9 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.

Commando Jack -- MB-5B95842B8F199DA8 - Taken by madjoki
Nux -- MB-A8E524D70D0FC907 - Taken by Kurt Russell
The Culling of the Cows -- MB-A918E1C9A4B20573 - Taken by Purkake4
Platypus -- MB-BFF9EE9D65C9BF26 - Taken by didamangi
Chaos Domain -- MB-778174A7FF7275B8 - Taken by Vandrar
Psichodelya -- MB-799CDFD3125C3BB7 - Taken by jshackles
Rover Rescue -- MB-799CDFD3125C3BB7 - Taken by jshackles
Hyper Fighters -- MB-E0C153C11D96CBC8 - Taken by Phawx
Ionball 2: Ionstorm -- MB-0BD9380330CF9313 - Taken by Speevy

By the way, there were some errors processing your keys...
Note: The key you added for Rover Rescue was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.

Arthea

I'll save you time and spam: last year Rogue Legacy was GOTY in this thread. That shows a hell of a lot more open-mindedness than the list I'm complaining about.

but in fact it had the same amount of votes as BioInf, just reminding ;)
and that was not a point I was trying to make. I was trying to make a point, that if you take 20 different people that play and like different games, you can't make a list, because most games will have one vote or two and there will be no clear leaders except really poplar games that all played exactly because they are popular, hyped and everybody knows about them and feels the need to check what all fuss is about

Lomax

Yeah, but in a virtual tie with Bioshock Infinite... based on that I predict Isaac:Rebirth as SteamGaf GotY followed closely by Shadow of Mordor.

Dr Dogg

You could always... You know, put it up on a comparison site to spare peoples' bandwidth and make comparing it a lot easier :p

Or don't, you know. Either way, I concur, and I personally think that HBAO is one of the best pieces of lighting tech we've gotten in ages, it gives incredible detail for a very small performance loss, and those soft, realistic 'micro' shadows are great. More depth and realism is always good. :3

Sadly that would require more effort my end that my lazy self didn't nother to do :p

What's more sad is that there will be a thread here on GAF with some folks getting excited for some plastic, meaninless awards from the same sections of the media, even specific people looking at the pannel, they like to dog pile on every other week.

After seeing there's a specific catagory for 'Best Remaster' any sembalance of intrest I had suddenly vanished.

Developer of the Year : UbiMontreal.

Yeah.....

Well I think that's a little unfair as of the 3 big games with Montreal as the lead studio there have been countless others involed as well. Though I've played 2 of the 3, Watch Dogs married a couple of their templates for other games together in ways I didn't expect and had a blast playing and Far Cry 4 looks to be every bit as good for me as 3 in a much more intresting and varied setting from my brief time with it. Still waiting on Unity but it's one of the best looking games I've seen, in terms of graphical improvement and art design, in years and it's a bloody great huge open world game too boot.

On the enginering and design side I think they've had a stellar year it's just the management and PR side of things plus with market availablity prioritised over final polish (to be fair I don't think they could affoard not to in most cases) that has earned Ubi the ire of a lot of people this year alone, not to mention previous bad blood. Though they'd win The Foot in Mouth Award hands down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom