• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2014 - Ride of the Valkyries

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's going to be some announcements, yes. Though since it won't be on TV, proly mean there won't be high profile stuff, like last year's VGX. Still can be good surprises, like No Man's Sky.

Oh and defo don't expect anything from Valve :p

I don't know, Steam is kind of one of the partners streaming it so who knows. I don't remember them streaming any VGX including the one with the L4D2 announcement.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Dont Starve Together Beta -- MB-90DBE97253E1BEB7 - Taken by FiveElementNinja

Phawx

I have to ask. Are you a professional reviewer?

I don't think I'm pro. I started five years ago with a blog and handed my business card out like candy at PAX East. I am on a ton of mailing lists.

Basically since the start of November, I've been moving away from the blog and concentrating on my YouTube channel. (Please note, this isn't me asking for you to subscribe to me.) Right now, I'm still trying to work out different features and angles. But ultimately, I've been aggressive lately with early access indie, so that's the only reason why I'm posting as frequent. So many things count as indie like Sierra which is now the indie arm of Activision. (Geometry Wars 3 key is inbound to me soon)

Again, I don't count myself as a professional reviewer. I would capture impressions regardless if I got early access anyhow.

It can be stressful because they are obligations. But it's like hobby++. Any incentive to play games instead of collecting them is welcome.

Madn

I guess The Witcher 2 is the new Insurgency. Here's mine

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away an item. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Madn, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

PGP3OVL.png
The Witcher 2 (GOG) -- MB-5CAD5A600E64DBA8

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
This is me looking at Phawx's giveaway right now:

roulette-wheel-o.gif

sprinkles

Some leftovers

ModBot said:
Instructions for sprinkles:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (sprinkles, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Hammerfight -- MB-01F9530486C98C4C - Taken by C4rter
3089 Futuristic Action RPG FPS -- MB-C0DA1A7154C7C3BB - Taken by PunishedSnake
Insurgency -- MB-B92646F836CDCD33 - Taken by Regginator
Betrayer -- MB-ADDB7FD345C18199 - Taken by nightstorm
Epigenesis -- MB-C5BAC169BACB4E2A - Taken by tylergregg
Stalker Clear Sky -- MB-1CCC725E83980A56 - Taken by tioslash

Man those are some dope ass masks!

*exclusive to owners of an Alienware Alpha*

Well ain't that some shit, I was hoping Overkill wouldn't go down the exclusive/paid mask route.

EDIT: I should clarify this is for Payday 2.

day-2.jpg

Dr Dogg

Probably stupid question but when you buy the game physical can you play it without any online connection? Haven't bought anything physical in a long time.
You're HBAO screens are cool too. Care to make multiple screens using no/HBAO+/SSBC, please? Especially using this site http://screenshotcomparison.com/ .
Seeing differences is much, much easier using that.

Well seeing as each DD service does something a little different with retail copies it's not even close to a stupid question. All of them, Steam, Origin, Uplay, will need you to use the discs first if you down want to download and everyone of the will at some,poimt need an internet connection to register the game before they can run. Where they are different is that Steam wants you to be online to start and complete the installation and if you're not rocket fast will catch any updates and download them.

Origin can be started to installed offline but will need to be signed in and you have to input your cd key, which you obviously need to be online to verify, or it will quit the install and you start from scratch. Though you can pause and cancel any updates it will check after you've unstalled the game.

Uplay on the other hand doesn't need your to even have an internet connection to install the game. It will install fine from discs offline but won't start unless you sign in to Uplay and register the cd key. Once done you can switch Uplay to offline mode and never recive an update or patch for it at all, it will only check if you launch the game whilst online.

Also from my experience with using all 3 services with retail bought copies and seeing how they are packed in discs and the installation processes, I can see why Uplay games are unoffically available by neffarious means a lot more easier then Steam or Origin titles.

Re Far Cry 4 piccies, I'll get to it but I'm back in the exploring grove at the mo so might be some time. Kyrat puts most walking simulators to shame plus you can't go riding elphants and throwing dynamite at leopards to fulfill your antisocial hunting fantasies in Dear Esther, Ethan Carter and the like

ViviOggi

Sucks to be you.

Me? I'm like....

AQBWsTS.gif

Thanks again for the giveaway of course! Next step: Get the cards on the market asap.

It does

I'm like

3Qg5InT.gif

sending PMs for all the ones not updated yet hoping it has turned into a free-for-all and there are actually unclaimed copies left

Anyway, thanks Phawx for throwing all these keys our way!

iosefe

yooooo

so it seems ones without a winner didn't have an eligible entrant, for example, the one i got, which had one other user

minutes after it ended i just decided to send in a pm for an unclaimed. luck?

gracias, comrade

Tellaerin

why nobody told me about this?

a new game from PQ devs?! I think I'll go and play it right now.

On the one hand, I'm really interested because PQ.

On the other, I'm leery because it's F2P.

Please let me know what sort of microtransaction system they've gone with, because that'll determine whether or not I bother checking it out.

I don't think I'm pro. I started five years ago with a blog and handed my business card out like candy at PAX East. I am on a ton of mailing lists.
Basically since the start of November, I've been moving away from the blog and concentrating on my YouTube channel. (Please note, this isn't me asking for you to subscribe to me.) Right now, I'm still trying to work out different features and angles. But ultimately, I've been aggressive lately with early access indie, so that's the only reason why I'm posting as frequent. So many things count as indie like Sierra which is now the indie arm of Activision. (Geometry Wars 3 key is inbound to me soon)
Again, I don't count myself as a professional reviewer. I would capture impressions regardless if I got early access anyhow.
It can be stressful because they are obligations. But it's like hobby++. Any incentive to play games instead of collecting them is welcome.
Cool. Best of luck. I actually heard from some games first by you. So you're not doing a terrible job ;)
What do you mean by obligations though? NDA or are you actually bound to make videos when you get games?
Good luck and I'll check you channel out for sure.
-
Well seeing as each DD service does something a little different with retail copies it's not even close to a stupid question. All of them, Steam, Origin, Uplay, will need you to use the discs first if you down want to download and everyone of the will at some,poimt need an internet connection to register the game before they can run. Where they are different is that Steam wants you to be online to start and complete the installation and if you're not rocket fast will catch any updates and download them.
Origin can be started to installed offline but will need to be signed in and you have to input your cd key, which you obviously need to be online to verify, or it will quit the install and you start from scratch. Though you can pause and cancel any updates it will check after you've unstalled the game.
Uplay on the other hand doesn't need your to even have an internet connection to install the game. It will install fine from discs offline but won't start unless you sign in to Uplay and register the cd key. Once done you can switch Uplay to offline mode and never recive an update or patch for it at all, it will only check if you launch the game whilst online.
Also from my experience with using all 3 services with retail bought copies and seeing how they are packed in discs and the installation processes, I can see why Uplay games are unoffically available by neffarious means a lot more easier then Steam or Origin titles.
Re Far Cry 4 piccies, I'll get to it but I'm back in the exploring grove at the mo so might be some time. Kyrat puts most walking simulators to shame plus you can't go riding elphants and throwing dynamite at leopards to fulfill your antisocial hunting fantasies in Dear Esther, Ethan Carter and the like
Wow. Didn't know that physical-only-no-online is basically dead then :/ Somehow I thought that's one of the big allures to go physical. Not being dependant on any online services and games being playable "forever" even when their DD counterparts cannot be downloaded anymore sometime in the future. But this.. man.
And haha, of course take your time actually playing Far Cry 4. The pics can wait. Game looks like a blast. Have fun Doc. Jelly.
And as always. Thanks for the big write-up!

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:

xxPVMYM.png

Mystery Gift -- MB-5160897D32160DBF - Taken by gngf123

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
On the one hand, I'm really interested because PQ.

On the other, I'm leery because it's F2P.

Please let me know what sort of microtransaction system they've gone with, because that'll determine whether or not I bother checking it out.

Apparently it's Marvel Puzzle Quest levels of microtransactions with some costing as much as $100. That's a "pass" from me.

derExperte

Already love the artstyle and music of Blue Flamingo but the background stutters noticeably, anyone else with that problem (I think they notices some hitches in the GB QL)?

Kiru

ModBot Basics:

xxPVMYM.png

Mystery Gift -- MB-5160897D32160DBF - Taken by gngf123
Gooby++car+suspicious.PNG

Newblade

'aight

ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.

GRID -- MB-2121DA2A97545455 - Taken by Kiru
Half Minute Hero: Super Mega Neo Climax Ultimate Boy -- MB-385FFAFAE39D6007 - Taken by AsylumX

madjoki

lol dang, I was one of two entrants for #10 and lost. Thanks anyway Phawx!

Yeah, someone has to lose :(

There were still 2 left with no entries at all, though, so I re-entered and got one (#16)

You can do that?

ModBot 2 said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (madjoki, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Pay it forward. You can only win this game if you've given away a game since you last won a game (minimum one total giveaway).
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Goat Simulator -- MB-4E9B22CCDD4BEB7F - Taken by Hero Prinny. 13 entrants total.

t1416520794z1.png

Anyway, here's something for givers as thank you.

Phawx

Cool. Best of luck. I actually heard from some games first by you. So you're not doing a terrible job ;)
What do you mean by obligations though? NDA or are you actually bound to make videos when you get games?
Good luck and I'll check you channel out for sure.

No you aren't bound to anything outside of the embargo. But PR does keep track of everything you do. The big guys get stuff early, often and without question. But if I ask for code and do nothing with it, they have reports on it and may not fulfill any requests I have going forward.

Plus it behooves me to get stuff out early, even though I'll be drowned out by others with bigger followings later on, I can still rank high on search lists.

jshackles

i thought people liked MPQ, though?

The game itself is pretty fun and likable, especially if you enjoy the Marvel universe. But it's got huge "pay to win" issues and unnecessary difficulty spikes that encourage players to buy random heroes in hopes of getting one that's strong enough to win. So it's like combining two things people like (Marvel and Puzzle Quest) and applying the F2P philosophy to it in the worst possible way - gambling. It may be well regarded, but it's certainly not cheap.

surprised that everlasting summer is still up

Same here. Their game still doesn't show up on the ESRB site so I'm more inclined than ever to think the rating is bogus.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Thief Gold -- MB-413FAA149FDB81B0 - Taken by provista. 2 entrants total.
Deus Ex Invisible War -- MB-937CC2E4AD0FAF4D - Taken by dave is ok. 4 entrants total.
Half Minute Hero Super Mega Neo Climax Ultimate Boy -- MB-1728BBEECEB6BFDB - Taken by anastef. 1 entrants total.

t1416521214z1.png

I don't know, Steam is kind of one of the partners streaming it so who knows. I don't remember them streaming any VGX including the one with the L4D2 announcement.

L4D2 was announced at E3 and last year's first and only VGX (which wasn't on TV, just like how TGA won't be) didn't have high profile surprise announcements. Big stuff. Like Skyrim, TLoU etc. We got NMS, Telltale's two games, TR current gen edition, and there was some silly shit with Reggie that pissed people off (oh right, he announced that old geezer Kong for DKC:TF?). And Steam streamed that and had a special sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom