• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2014 - Ride of the Valkyries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Dogg

So I've heard the name thrown around countless times in here in the past so I assume that Nuuvem is safe and legit?

They got the FC4 Season Pass for really cheap.

Now, as I'm writing that, I realize that it might be region locked though since it's a Ubi product?

A brief word of warning, more often than not buying Uplay Season Passes outside of the Steam Storefront for Steam bought Uplay titles can cause all maner of fuck ups, mostly not getting the content. Seeing as Steam does the content delivery if it doesn't think you own the Season Pass due to not having it on your account it wont download the contemt. Uplay has seperate app IDs depedning on the Steam or Uplay managed version and wont download them either.

So the long and short of it, of you bought the game on Steam only by the season pass from there. If you bought it at retail, key reseller, Nvidia promo code or Ubisoft direct, most places are fine (providing there aren't region locks).

Phawx

Elliot Quest Lightning. Go.

ModBot said:
Instructions for Phawx:

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Please don't thank me.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Elliot Quest -- MB-F6F4F2ABAADD7E1A - Taken by Tellaerin. 12 entrants total.

t1416524034z1.png

Well there are still a few retail games that get released that don't require an account or internet donnection bit they are mostly smaller titles, indies and budget rerelease publisher that us Eureans love sso dearly still (the local big chain PC and Electrial stores here usually have stack of them). Anything with a medium to high budget is going to be tethers to an online service of sorts nut that's been the case for some time. Still better than the limited online activation days.
Well Far Cry 3 wrongly got labeled Skyrim with Guns by one stupid website that shall rename nameless but 4 is actually quite close to that. Well if Skyrim rewarded exploration, had fun emergent gameplay sequences, caused laughter and terror when being attacked by birds of prey and honey badgers, and a whole lot of other things that just happen as you've traveling around. Amd that's not touching on the mechanics and progression system and stuff like co-op (haven't tried yet but probably will at the weekend when my cronies are about).
You should know I am a psychic and currently I am having... I am having a vision... yes.. I see a brit.. a brit with glorious facial hair... he's sitting comfortably... with an electric device in his palms.. typing... NO! not typing... misstyping.. a lot-- :p
But yeah. I concur. Far Cry 3 was super fun. I wish it had more side content. I played it on my cousins PS3 and despite having not the greatest performance and me preferring FPS with kb/m, it still was a blast. The random attacks by animals, liberating outposts, exploring the different regions. It was good, stupid fun. Can't wait to play FC4 in the future and Co-Op sounds cool. Hopefully they added more to that than just open-world co-op'ing but specific missions as well.
-
None of my antics are good enough to get a snappy one liner or anything... I mean, I was never quite on the level of nbnt/rhaknar/dupy with the giveaways and I didn't pull anything epic like JaseC with the "family sharing" giveaway of his. I also don't make threads and while I have some uniquely "frost" opinions, none of them seem worthy of a tag.
Given my banter with the mods last night, I thought my tag might end up being Banned... but I somehow ducked that one too.
And your entry to manpuncher is late, but awesome. You should win a copy for making it a Rocket LawnchairCher. ;)
Maybe you are joking but sometimes I fear that you'll get banned for real. Some people/mods may not "get" your frosty style of humor.
-
Ask Jawmuncher.
Hey, that game jawy got banned for. I read that it has some weird/funny chievos. And since there's a realistic risk of it getting pulled and me knowing you have something for achievements, maybe you should play the game and get the chievos before the game is gone? Would be a very rare achievement to boast I reckon.

Maybe you are joking but sometimes I fear that you'll get banned for real. Some people/mods may not "get" your frosty style of humor.
-

Hey, that game jawy got banned for. I read that it has some weird/funny chievos. And since there's a realistic risk of it getting pulled and me knowing you have something for achievements, maybe you should play the game and get the chievos before the game is gone? Would be a very rare achievement to boast I reckon.

Nah, I was pissing off the mods last night apparently -- so much so that it seemed like my comments regarding Jawmuncher's ban and GAF moderation in general summoned 2 mods not normally seen in these parts. :lol

And all those cheevos for the Endless Summer (or whatever it is) are in-game only, so they're of no use for "virtual bragging" or whatever. :)

fantomena

So wait, the story is shit, the missions are shit and the combat gets annoying. So what is left? Collecting stuff?

I found the game fun and I liked it, apart from the negatives.

Just to give me an idea of where you're coming from, what would you consider your personal high-water marks for games? You know, the "gold standard" you judge other games against.

I don't have any "gold standard" or "standard" for what I consider a goty candidate.I guess I could say I consider games individually.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Last Baron, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Metro 2033 -- MB-44065F1D8753AC3F

Phawx

Reposting my impressions of Elliot's Quest. It's good folks.

My Let's Play of Elliot Quest is up. You can find it here:

http://youtu.be/c5I0gRBZNTM

Quick Impressions:

It's a love letter to The Legend of Zelda 2: Link's Adventure
There is an armored guard that has a very similar style but thankfully not similar attack pattern.
A kid is missing a cat named "Link"
There are two sections of the game. Side Scrolling and Overworld traversal (where you can get interrupted by baddies)
Towns and dialogue with NPCs are similar to Zelda 2

Good stuff:

Initial weapon you're equipped with is a bow and arrow (not sure if you get other weapons, but it looks like I have seven more slots left and the other is filled with a candle.)

There are lots and lots of nods and winks towards NES' styling (Megaman-type enemies and bit of Castlevania platforming)

Overall, platforming/action mechanics are solid. Exploration is excellent. Levels and areas locked off by items (I.E. Metroid/Zelda style)

Map system is very helpful and is probably the furthest the game goes in holding your hand. The game can be slightly challenging. Thankfully checkpoints aren't too far apart.

Bad Stuff:

You can skip cutscenes entirely, but you can't accelerate them. If you can read 10 words in two seconds be prepared to wait another eight seconds. Not sure if it's a translation thing, but some of the wording gives a different tone (YMMV).

Bottom Line: Very charming and appropriately difficult.

Nah, I was pissing off the mods last night apparently -- so much so that it seemed like my comments regarding Jawmuncher's ban and GAF moderation in general summoned 2 mods not normally seen in these parts. :lol

And all those cheevos for the Endless Summer (or whatever it is) are in-game only, so they're of no use for "virtual bragging" or whatever. :)
Shame, I would have enjoyed your comments on the game
KuGsj.gif

And also about earlier. Dude, you gave some big games away in MASSES when you were still more active here. Like multiple copies of Might and Magic X and all Tomb Raider games. That was pretty dope.

Also, big huge thanks to FiveElementNinja for Verdun. That was super nice.

No you aren't bound to anything outside of the embargo. But PR does keep track of everything you do. The big guys get stuff early, often and without question. But if I ask for code and do nothing with it, they have reports on it and may not fulfill any requests I have going forward.
Plus it behooves me to get stuff out early, even though I'll be drowned out by others with bigger followings later on, I can still rank high on search lists.
Hm, that sounds time consuming. Are you able to work a regular job besides or did gaming become your job? Hope you hit it big man. Always cool when folks can live off something they enjoy :)

Double-post say waaaaaaaaaht?

Shadownet

Banned
Oh thanks, that's nice. What does squeaky mean though? o_O
Squeaky sneaky deaky.

When someone refering to squeaky, they mean a door on the map that can be open and close. You can hear the squeaky sound when you open/close the door. Hence the name.

So if someone say "There's a guy in squeaky" Meaning there is someone next to the door.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
So, if that particular free to play game is pulled from steam, do I keep it in my library? Is there even a precedent for that?

I don't believe there's a precedent. I believe there have been some F2P games removed from Steam, but they all had DLC available (where purchasing the DLC adds the game to your library permanently).

Since this game doesn't have DLC there is no way to permanently attach it to your account, so if the game gets pulled it'll most like be removed from everyone's library.

Squeaky sneaky deaky.
When someone refering to squeaky, they mean a door on the map that can be open and close. You can hear the squeaky sound when you open/close the door. Hence the name.
So if someone say "There's a guy in squeaky" Meaning there is someone next to the door.
Good Lord! How unnecessary. It's even longer than just saying door.
CS doods. amirite
:p

madjoki

So, if that particular free to play game is pulled from steam, do I keep it in my library? Is there even a precedent for that?

Not exactly same but:
Ridge Racer Driftopia was pulled from everyone, including closed beta codes.

(This was done by publisher instead of Valve.)

Shadownet

Banned
Good Lord! How unnecessary. It's even longer than just saying door.
CS doods. amirite
:p

Well its just the way callouts are in CSGO. Like instead of saying "there's a guy next to boxes at middle, near the top."

You can say "upper mid" that's usually enough. Sometimes places on the map doesn't have a name so that's why there are places called the Tetris, jungle, sandwich, kitchen, market.

It might sound crazy but it work. Someone who play CSGO extensively know exactly which map I just described.

I don't believe there's a precedent. I believe there have been some F2P games removed from Steam, but they all had DLC available (where purchasing the DLC adds the game to your library permanently).

Since this game doesn't have DLC there is no way to permanently attach it to your account, so if the game gets pulled it'll most like be removed from everyone's library.

What if you download it and put some hours into it. If it's pulled, will it at least show in your game history, since you have activity that was tracked?

Well its just the way callouts are in CSGO. Like instead of saying "there's a guy next to boxes at middle, near the top."
You can say "upper mid" that's usually enough. Sometimes places on the map doesn't have a name so that's why there are places called the Tetris, jungle, sandwich, kitchen, market.
It might sound crazy but it work. Someone who play CSGO extensively know exactly which map I just described.
Hah, I was joking :p I believe you that it's useful.
But all this lingo makes me more hesitant actually. I played once not with gaffers but random folks and it wasn't even competitive, because I thought I could make mistakes and learn without damaging my teammates much but I got mobbed instead :/

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
What if you download it and put some hours into it. If it's pulled, will it at least show in your game history, since you have activity that was tracked?

Although we don't have any clear precedent, I don't think this would work either. In madjoki's example of Ridge Racer Driftopia, the app was completely removed from the Steam database. The way it was removed also removed the community hub for the game and most of the community features, including achievements (there were 20).

I believe that what happens in this example is that the game then reverts to a sort of "pre-release" status, where things like play time and achievements are hidden on your profile to other users.

Someone who unlocked achievements and had play time in Ridge Racer might be able to provide a bit more insight.

Hah, I was joking :p I believe you that it's useful.
But all this lingo makes me more hesitant actually.

Even games that aren't super competitive like TF2 have their own lingo. Probably not as much, but players will know exactly what it means if there's a spyro in the hayroom going down spiral. Doesn't mean you can't get into it, just that there's a bit of a learning curve.

Tenrius

surprised that everlasting summer is still up

Why, what's wrong with it? I actually at one point frequented the imageboard it was being made on (the video games section of it, anyway) and even played some early demos or something. Although I don't know all that much about it to be honest.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 18 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a garbage dump. No other rules apply, you may claim as many as you want (there are no limits or throttles), and keys you win won't be counted as wins for your record. Do not SELL these keys for a profit.

Teleglitch #4 -- MB-4C3B91FC625CF67B
Teleglitch -- MB-93CA1DCB4FFA8494
All Teleglitch games redeemable till 25.11
Teleglitch #3 -- MB-9ACF6C289208508B
Teleglitch #2 -- MB-689A1C89628D09B7
Teleglitch #5 -- MB-BFC5500242FD4FE9
Teleglitch -- MB-1F9BA1AB2B8CCCFB - Taken by someguyinahat
Teleglitch #7 -- MB-F4EDE18FCAD2A740 - Taken by Darth Kupi
Metro 2033 -- MB-A8227E69DCEAA9CC
Metro 2033 #7 -- MB-CE7F797762610A2F - Taken by Darth Kupi
Metro 2033 #6 -- MB-B429A5EE7BD1A1AD
Metro 2033 #5 -- MB-F08738223DBD376B
Metro 2033 #4 -- MB-DB63C4A0BFDAFDE1
Metro 2033 #3 -- MB-1C6946D79F1973A1
Metro 2033 #2 -- MB-CB7CE899971A7EAB
Teleglitch #6 -- MB-B4534C5697BEC072
Metro 2033 -- MB-A08D6679C7FB8BAB
All Metro games redeemable till tomorrow
Metro 2033 #9 -- MB-FF019791481B5078
Metro 2033 #8 -- MB-6027ECEC8796C0CC

Faabulous

Weird. I'm very curious to seeing how this will all turn out.

Now, about the quality of the game, the art is not very good, the writing is kind of decent but oh my god the typos. I'm not even a native english speaker and those bother me, but it is a russian game so, it is to be expected I guess. Might even turn out to be a decent eroge (if you are into that sort of stuff, I know I am), but I'm not sure about it's place on steam.

iosefe

And such scenes are not allowed on Steam? I genuinely don't know anything about it, but I think there were some other hentai(ish) games out there?

they never went this far. haven't seen this much pentration since Sony's japanese presentations. i forget which one, but there was one paragraph at least where market penetration was said a lot

Deitus

they never went this far. haven't seen this much pentration since Sony's japanese presentations. i forget which one, but there was one paragraph at least where market penetration was said a lot

Jokes are always better when you have to explain them. :p

Phawx

Hm, that sounds time consuming. Are you able to work a regular job besides or did gaming become your job? Hope you hit it big man. Always cool when folks can live off something they enjoy :)

Double-post say waaaaaaaaaht?

I have a day job. I don't anticipate making real money from YouTube.

It is fun covering indies though.

Dump
ModBot said:

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a garbage dump. No other rules apply, you may claim as many as you want (there are no limits or throttles), and keys you win won't be counted as wins for your record. Do not SELL these keys for a profit.

Teleglitch and PayDay 2 Masks -- MB-7B8236909D118BF4 - Taken by Pranay_

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom