• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2014 - Ride of the Valkyries

Status
Not open for further replies.

KainXVIII

The best answer is probably neither, since we're less than a month away from the first of the major sales and it doesn't seem like you're overly drawn to either, and there's a decent chance both will be cheaper then (or at least something you want more will be).

Well, maybe (but Murdered already 75% off)

On the one hand, I could understand how a developer would feel hurt and angry about getting a "Worst Game of 2014 contender" video made about their game by a prominent Youtube figure.

On the other hand, when I was watching the countdown timer in Sterling's video and saw what should have been "9:00" displayed as "9 :0" (immediately followed by what should have been "8:59" as "8 :60"), I lost quite a bit of sympathy for the developer. And that was before I even watched the "Review TheReviewers" video, where the player is blamed for obvious UI issues, which is where I lost all respect for the dev.

Edit: And now I just noticed the blood spatter from Google Images. Wow!

user237

On the other hand, when I was watching the countdown timer in Sterling's video and saw what should have been "9:00" displayed as "9 :0" (immediately followed by what should have been "8:59" as "8 :60"), I lost quite a bit of sympathy for the developer. And that was before I even watched the "Review TheReviewers" video, where the player is blamed for obvious UI issues, which is where I lost all respect for the dev.

The health meter was doing crazy things too.

The game is someone's attempt at learning to use whatever engine he is using. It should have stayed as a learning experience and never released to the public.

I'd contact Steam and let them know just in case. Also, if you don't have Steam Guard activated, do so now. If you do have Steam Guard activated, change your email password, since someone would have needed that as well as your steam password.

I have Steam Guard and two-step verification on my e-mail... this is all so scary :( thanks though!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
:( I hoped I was wrong. Well, maybe with time.
Don't you play much these days or do you make schedules with Enco?
Or wouldn't it be possible to circumvent the rule by downloading/installing the game then go in Steam Offline mode. This way multiple persons could play games from a single library at the same time?! Of course all multiplayer portions would become useless.
Thanks Jase for answering always. Sorry if it gets on your nerves.

1) To the best of my knowledge our schedules haven't clashed. I just jump off whenever he comes back online.
2) I could play my games in Offline Mode (Valve disabled Family Sharing in Offline Mode yonks ago), but I'd prefer to have my playtime tracked.

Derp

Game mechanics are superior, but instead of a single cohesive story line they combined two stories that should have been their own separate games. It really is an unfortunate state of affairs as either of the two would have been great alone but together become a muddled experience.
Believe it or not, every time I get to use Catwoman I just wonder why she didn't get her own seperate game. I would play the hell out of it... I'm having so much more fun playing as her than Batman (I'm probably just crazy).

So, wow, what's going on today?

I know I'm reaaaally late (sorry, sorry!) but I still would like to post my Project Nimbus recommendation so here we go. Screenshots after the wall of text.

Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/257030/

Project Nimbus surfaced initially on Steam Greenlight and then on Kickstarter to gather up some extra funds to reach is completion. After a successful campaign (to which I contributed), the game finally showed up for backers as an Early Access title, sooner or later to be released.

What does it offer? According to its store page, Project Nimbus is a high speed mech action game set in a post apocalyptic world. Players control 'BattleFrames' - humanoid battle suits armed with an arsenal of weapons.

2014-10-28_00006_zpse09c614d.jpg

Battleframe doing what I love the most: Itano Circus spam

Boy it delivers. Inspired by the Armored Core series (almost a love letter from its cutscenes and narration style), Project Nimbus takes that action into the sky rather than on land+jump jets, employing versatile and extremely fast mechs soaring across the clouds and between floating cities. You can employ a lot of tools of destruction, ranging from guns to sniper rail guns and small drones that will engage and attack targets for you, called funnels. Combine this with lock-on missiles (which at the moment are still in testing as they tend to lose locks and not launch), decoys to distract stronger threats and even a quite powerful close-range laser sword that will obliterate almost everything in 1-2 hits, you have plenty at your disposal to deliver the pain. However, you only get to use all the pretty toys when you are on the main mech, the star of the show: the Mirai. An anime mech with wings and a second pilot that will serenade you in thai (provided you set the option in the menu) and it's just freaking cool. Full on thrusters ahead and blast everything on sight!

To change the pace, in some missions you'll use different battle frames with more limited arsenals. This greatly increases the challenge as you'll need to adapt to fend off the brutal enemy attacks without just spamming everything at once hoping to take them all out before they reach you.

So, yes, the game is still in alpha stage (and you can tell!) but with the handful of missions available at the moment I can without a doubt say this game deserves your support once it goes out on sale. It's a love letter to FROM and Armored Core, it's perhaps the waking call to finally get the Armored Core games on PC at high framerates and obnoxious resolutions. It's great to have more mechs games on PC too that aren't F2P (Mechwarrior Online, Hawken...) or hindered by design choices (Strike Suit Zero comes to my mind, the flux meter and western approach to a lot of things really hurt the game, still, I freaking loved it) and the devs are pretty active, as well as coming from extremely humble roots (not many high profile thai games of this kind! I'm happy the guy is following his dream!)

The game sports extremely well done dramatic music of the kind that I didn't hear in a while. All very nice on that front. The game is fully voice acted but most dialogue is in english at the moment. Mission briefings are extremely sleek and well done, and it seems they may implement full thai voice acting, which is certainly going to add to the overall feel of the game and may be my choice. Dat "exotic" value, heh. But, yeah, I'm all for cultural diversity and games features in more languages.

So, let's conclude: Is it a clear-cut indie Armored Core for PC, with everything that implies? No, clearly not so don't expect exactly that or you'll be disappointed. Does it have awesome mechs shooting the crap out of each other with everything at hand while evoking the ambience/mood of AC titles but on PC, doing what FROM hasn't so far? Oh boy, YES! Can't wait to see this finished!

Note: Early Access for everyone is coming later this week!

Alpha Screenshots:

Follow the dev on Twitter: https://twitter.com/gamecrafterteam

Latest alpha (codename Hibiki) in action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVeeKvNdJBo

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Teleglitch Die More Edition -- MB-83A506D126DE98D2

t1414954039z1.png

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

The more impressive part is that your account gets locked out for 1 hour after making 10 purchases. And you can't buy multiple copies of the same game. This must have taken some time, and a hell of a lot of dedication. At a minimum, 100 hours.

Well, that's the most impressive thing I've seen all week.

MRORANGE, how about making two awards?
One for games released in 2014 on Steam, and another for games people played in 2014?
As you might've gathered from your 52/year thread a lot of us are playing our backlogged games. Would be lovely if we could honor them as well. :)

This please. I don't think I've played enough games released in 2014 to even come up with five of them in the first place.

Thanks a lot for the congratulations you guys, really appreciate it and the day already starting great!
Sure have to set up a speedrunners event and celebrate the day :)
Be ready to go fast!

Happy birthday!

That google images blood spatter. So real.

ceQIsno.jpg

Blood splatter is hard you guys.

MRORANGE

MRORANGE, how about making two awards?
One for games released in 2014 on Steam, and another for games people played in 2014?
As you might've gathered from your 52/year thread a lot of us are playing our backlogged games. Would be lovely if we could honor them as well. :)

Would be a good idea but I'm unsure how the results might look like, with cases of having everything is that the spread is going to quite sparse to give any meaningful results.

Looking at the 2013 results we had over 150 games, I can't imagine what a free-for-all would look like, we could have 500 games with the winner being declared with only 10 points.

izwSj29aDKjMW.jpg

I'll try and see if I can whip up something for the 52 games in 1 year thread though if i can.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
I hope, the Slaughtering Grounds Dev answers with another video with more text smothered over his original text.

... maybe you should try doing a video too? :p you know - actually read all the dev's comments xD that would be EPIC :D

Momentary

Banned
GMG has Advanced Warfare for 49.99 under some VIP program. When the hell did I qualify for that? Or is it something for everyone?

Chariot

... maybe you should try doing a video too? :p you know - actually read all the dev's comments xD that would be EPIC :D
Nah, since he wrote the text as if he were Jim Sterling, it would sound like I would make fun of mr Sterlin, which I would not. But I may read it calmy and without annoying voice since it's hart to read, even outside the ridiculous content.
GMG has Advanced Warfare for 49.99 under some VIP program. When the hell did I qualify for that? Or is it something for everyone?
Everyone who is registered, I think.

A more fair representation of how AW looks now that the shader cache issue is fixed.
Lighting is a bit flat at times but in general it looks pretty good. Not as much as the initial impressions though as the cutscenes seem to use a lot more depth of field effects which make it look nicer.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
A more fair representation of how AW looks now that the shader cache issue is fixed.

Lighting is a bit flat at times but in general it looks pretty good. Not as much as the initial impressions though as the cutscenes seem to use a lot more depth of field effects which make it look nicer.

bloody screen ... SO REAL!! O_O

Momentary

Banned
Nah, since he wrote the text as if he were Jim Sterling, it would sound like I would make fun of mr Sterlin, which I would not. But I may read it calmy and without annoying voice since it's hart to read, even outside the ridiculous content.Everyone who is registered, I think.

Every registered user qualified.

Seems like vouchers don't work of "VIP" games? Or am I just doing something wrong?

derExperte

BF4 looks MUCH better imo.

Pachimari

Hmm weird, I seem to have removed my software, which makes me able to window games without borders. What were that software named?

Borderless Windowed Mode?

BF4 looks MUCH better imo.
Yeah, it definitely does. Advanced Warfare's cutscenes look incredible but once you actually get to gameplay things take a bit of a dive. Still looks good, but the lighting just doesn't seem to be where it should. Only on the first level though. Tons of high quality textures everywhere though, mostly just a few walls here and there that stick out.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Believe it or not, every time I get to use Catwoman I just wonder why she didn't get her own seperate game. I would play the hell out of it... I'm having so much more fun playing as her than Batman (I'm probably just crazy).

She is quicker to compensate for the fact that her abilities are limited. To answer your question, I would imagine that due to her historic background, there is a limit to the abilities and gadgets developers can give her without straying to far from established canon. But she isn't what I was alluding to. There will be a point when the main story shifts into a second storyline and tries to integrate them into a single cohesive story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom