• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2014 - Ride of the Valkyries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Dogg

On my home page CiV BE, Farming Simulator and The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth are Top 3 XD also there is around 3+K users in CoD AW.

Exactly the same 3 games in the same spots for me with Transistor and Payday 2 rounding out the top 5 and not a COD in sight. Euro Steam maybe needs a little more Bald Eagle in their store front to see the change. Well that and the game to be released here to show up. Scratch that, the store page says 12am GMT so it's out.

Yup. It's not too bad though. It just ruins the progression for weapons since everything is unlocked from the start so you don't have to find the schematics to unlock them. Now I dont know when I'm supposed to have access to a weapon.

Dead Space 2 has the same problem as DS1 with the starting weapon being so overpowered that it doesn't matter really :p

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Exactly the same 3 games in the same spots for me with Transistor and Payday 2 rounding out the top 5 and not a COD in sight. Euro Steam maybe needs a little more Bald Eagle in their store front to see the change. Well that and the game to be released here to show up.

The only metric that matters is the global week total.

dex3108

Exactly the same 3 games in the same spots for me with Transistor and Payday 2 rounding out the top 5 and not a COD in sight. Euro Steam maybe needs a little more Bald Eagle in their store front to see the change. Well that and the game to be released here to show up. Scratch that, the store page says 12am GMT so it's out.

For me Release time: 12:00am MSK and i am not in Russia XD

Dr Dogg

Dead Space 2 has the same problem as DS1 with the starting weapon being so overpowered that it doesn't matter really :p

You mean fun and versatile right :p

The weapons in Dead Space 1 & 2 were a hoot to carve Necromorphs up with but the starting Plasma Cutter was the jack of all trades weapon. Why did 3 have to change things up? Pesky microtransactions :(

It's a good craft-your-own-gun system in the mash things together like LEGO or school boy texbox drawings kind of way but I felt it was a poor fit for the Dead Space series.

Dead Space 3 having microtransactions didn't really affect the weapons. At no point was I ever low on upgrade materials(compared to the other games) and by the end of the game I had crafted several crazy weapons.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
this dude is not a fan of Gaf I guess

yooegm.png

Dr Dogg

The only metric that matters is the global week total.

For me Release time: 12:00am MSK and i am not in Russia XD

It's not that crazy a week for releases I don't think but next has a few coming out.

Dead Space 3 having microtransactions didn't really affect the weapons. At no point was I ever low on upgrade materials(compared to the other games) and by the end of the game I had crafted several crazy weapons.

Sure, sure because next to no one was silly enought to buy into the system. But the guns themselves, being built in their modular fashion were kind of like that for a reason and I don't buy it as a design choice as it's horrible. What worked perfectly for the 2 previous games, with using specific weapons for a specific job each with specific ammo, then get cast to the side for a system when you mash a variety of parts together, which you can also spend real money on mind, and have universal ammo. Whether anyone paid for any crafting commonents or not that system totally fucked up the weapon ballance of the series. So in effect microtransactions did effect the weapons regardless of anyone buying a single crafting component.

I felt that it had much more to do with the game's move to a bigger scale and coop focus. The gun's were designed to be customizable like weapons in other online games, and if anything it was a sensible evolution of the gun customization already in 2.

Deitus

Yup. It's not too bad though. It just ruins the progression for weapons since everything is unlocked from the start so you don't have to find the schematics to unlock them. Now I dont know when I'm supposed to have access to a weapon.

Well, all of the "DLC" weapons/armors are found at the store, but sell for 0 credits. So when I played, I simply never purchased any of them in order to preserve the normal game experience. So you would still have to find schematics to get the original versions of the weapons if I recall correctly.

It's still pretty lame that it gives you access to the strongest weapons and armor at the very beginning of the game, and the only thing preventing you from completely breaking the early parts of the game is your own willpower.

So you would still have to find schematics to get the original versions of the weapons if I recall correctly.

Oh well if that's the case that's good. I didn't realize they were special/upgraded versions of the main weapons; I was under the impression that the dlc just unlocked everything.

Dr Dogg

I felt that it had much more to do with the game's move to a bigger scale and coop focus. The gun's were designed to be customizable like weapons in other online games, and if anything it was a sensible evolution of the gun customization already in 2.

Hahaha oh come the fuck on it's devolution not evolution. In 1 & 2 you had specific weapons that performed specific jobs with the Plasma Cutter being the most versatile as it was a precision weapon that fed into the Strategic Dismemberment gameplay element. With allowing custom combinations of weapons there was no guarantee what the player would have in their hands so a key hook for the series, dismemberment, was jettisoned and you could essentially kill any enemy by shooting them in the chest enough times, even head shots were viable on necromorphs. In 1 & 2 each enemy type you have weak point and points that shot or dismember would make them enraged, that's just not seen in 3.

The upgrade system of 1 & 2 worked great in a risk reward fashion as the power nodes used to upgrade weapons and your RIG also unlocked doors that could contain a new weapon of RIG schematic. Also they were limited in supply for that round so the choice was upgrade your weapon or gamble for loot. In 3 because of the crafting system you had either the choice of obtain elements from gameplay or buy them and they were unlimited in supply. There was no risk in that, you just had to grind or send out that drone to harvest resources and then wait for it to come back.

If you think that's evolution then that's you prerogative but it's that shift away from some of the focuses of the first two games that really put a dampener of the 3rd for me.

You could always shoot enemies until they died in 1 and 2, dismemberment was just obviously a much faster and efficient way to go about it. Dead Space 3 still had dismemberment, there was just usually enough ammo to where it didn't play as major a factor. The abundant ammo was balanced by the amount of enemies thrown at you at any given point, and that they were made much, much faster. It definitely changed a lot from the first two games, but it was interesting enough to be an enjoyable experience overall. In particular I liked the inclusion of the human enemies as using your dismemberment tools on them was fun and the times where you'd come across them fighting monsters was great. Honestly think it would have been my favorite game in the series if not for the Dragon Age 2 style asset reusage in the side missions. The ice planet is gorgeous, and the amount of variety present is pretty impressive outside of the side missions.

For those wanting COD, the good thing is that AW will only be -25% max in the next ~7 years so if you want it now you aren't losing anything by not waiting.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
For those wanting COD, the good thing is that AW will only be -25% max in the next ~7 years so if you want it now you aren't losing anything by not waiting.

Except it will be 50% next year. Now, 50% max, sure :p

Saty

Is there an option in Idlemaster to choose only the games i want to idle in? (not to blacklist those i don't want to)

Arthea

somehow Q*bert is not as fun as I remember it being. Is it severe case of nostalgia glasses? (><)
Classic mode seems to be harder than the remaster btw, then again I haven't played through later levels, I might be wrong on this.

somehow Q*bert is not as fun as I remember it being. Is it severe case of nostalgia glasses? (><)
Classic mode seems to be harder than the remaster btw, then again I haven't played through later levels, I might be wrong on this.

To me, it was always a pretty painful game.

Watching the AW QL and it looks so ....typical CoD. So boring. Jeff talks about the mobility, yet I see nothing of it. Maybe once he gets to the MP portion.

Arthea

To me, it was always a pretty painful game.

oh it is painful, supposed to be even, and make you feel awesome if you avoided all dangers and made to the goal intact.

What I can't understand why they made remaster-reboot this way, that you have to repeat every level 3 times, even if you reach all goals the very first time... that seems annoying and unnecessary, they kinda killed the game with this, no?

Deques

Is there an option in Idlemaster to choose only the games i want to idle in? (not to blacklist those i don't want to)

I remember jshackles saying that he was going to make a whitelist that tells Idle Master what to idle. But I haven't seen such feature to be implemented yet

Zombie mode has always been a Treyarch thing so it doesn't seem particularly offensive to me. Not like it isn't already a meaty package.

dex3108

I just noticed that there is no more Batman Arkham Knight on GeForce web page under Games section. That is really strange it was there as far as i remember with all Nvidia tech listed.

Shadownet

Banned
I just want to say, xelios is a wonderful human being despite his name being similar to a character that is quite evil.

Thanks man.

Oh wow, I just noticed the Alpha Kimori news straight up tells you each card drop takes 30 minutes. I wish more developers shared that information.

You know Call of Duty is a series on the decline when they don't even both to price gouge it properly. $79? That is almost reasonable.

Arthea

Lemme praise Strata some more, it's great, simple yet complex and elegant, if you have it, give it a shot, look at first few levels as tutorial, it gets more complicated the farther you go, wouldn't say in exponential manner, but close (><)
Imagination alone isn't enough, you actually have to remember your logical chain by the time you figured it out and started doing it, what might be a problem as I found out.

Extended till the 4th.

somehow missed that, thanks

Dr Dogg

You could always shoot enemies until they died in 1 and 2, dismemberment was just obviously a much faster and efficient way to go about it. Dead Space 3 still had dismemberment, there was just usually enough ammo to where it didn't play as major a factor. The abundant ammo was balanced by the amount of enemies thrown at you at any given point, and that they were made much, much faster. It definitely changed a lot from the first two games, but it was interesting enough to be an enjoyable experience overall. In particular I liked the inclusion of the human enemies as using your dismemberment tools on them was fun and the times where you'd come across them fighting monsters was great. Honestly think it would have been my favorite game in the series if not for the Dragon Age 2 style asset reusage in the side missions. The ice planet is gorgeous, and the amount of variety present is pretty impressive outside of the side missions.

Hahaha you keep on moving away from what I initially brought up. Don't get me wrong I like Dead Space 3 and was cool with the inclusion of coop but that doesn't mean the game didn't make massive missteps that are clear to see when compared to the two earlier entries in the series. Of course you can dismember any enemy in 3 but there is next no penalty for making a mistake due to how the strategic mechanic worked in the first 2 isn't carried over to the third. While ammo was quite plentiful in the first 2 on easier difficulties (even more so if you only used one weapon) universal ammo in 3 meant I never ran out for my massively overpowered gun. Why would I sit there and pick charging enemies legs and arms off when my 5 barreled, nuclear reactor shotgun would obliterate anything I vaguely pointed at in 1 shot. Weapon balance went completely out the window and the further you got into the game the more insane gun you could create that made encounters trivial.

I just don't remember enemies going crazy if you failed to knock off a limb or shot them in the head. Took longer, but they didn't suddenly become crimson heads or anything. It's not like I was ever really low on ammo in the first two games, although it's certainly a matter of being careful wheres in Dead Space 3 you can spray.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom