• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2014 - Ride of the Valkyries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Copons

I've finally finished Deadly Premonition (actually, I'm doing the last couple of post-endgame sidequests to 100% it :3 ) and WOAH.

I mean, really. Woah.

If someone told me that the second to last boss was
Freddie Mercury, and then he transform into... uh... Blanka?
I wouldn't have believed it. Or maybe I would have, considering how twisted this game gets, but eh, actually it REALLY gets twisted AFTER that boss, so...

But seriously.

It was definitely a hard ride.
I can't quantify how many times it CTD, but my honest guess would be "OMFG". Yes, that many.
Technically is terribad. Visuals seem to come directly from a pre-PS2-launch demo with several details kinda good (faces, mostly); the driving system sucks; the shooting system is unbelievably clunky and unsatisfying; sounds are mixed in mysterious ways, like even between too consecutive lines of dialogues there can be a huge difference of volume; the soundtrack is kinda cool, but it's often used wrong, like a happy tune during a dark scene or viceversa.

But fuck, this game oozes style and personality and and and and it had its ways to hook me into and making me disregard every possible problem I encountered, in order to keep going and eventually 100% it.
To make you understand how much I loved it, let's just say that, when the crashes were so unbearable that my desire to play it run out, I basically created a 2D version of Greenvale in Construct to drive around as I pleased (and with no crashes, Swery!). :D

If you don't know what DP is about, well...
It's a thriller game with lots of investigations and lots of farfetched survival horror sections, set in Greenvale, a Twin Peaks-esque town.
The main guy is an FBI agent that has to investigate a mysterious and somewhat paranormal serial homicide, the last of which occurred in Greenvale.
If you're seeing some affinities with Twin Peaks, it's not just because I actually wrote "Twin Peaks" a couple of lines ago. The first chapters of the game are basically copied from Twin Peaks pilot episode.
Most of the people living in Greenvale are a twisted mix between the characters made up from Lynch's creepy mind, and something totally different that just a creepy Japanese guy could made up.

You can freely drive around Greenvale at your pleasure, solving sidequests and learning more about the town, its history, its inhabitants and its folklore.
There is an overwhelming abundance of tiny details (ie. every single street is named) that shows how much the devs cared about this project, and all together they manage to somehow divert the attention from the technical shortcomings, to the actual game's own astounding personality.

Sadly, the crashes make this game hard to carefreely suggest to other people. I did a lot, in the last month or so, but every time I had to underline that there is a 50/50 chance people won't be able to actually enjoy the game cause of its technical issues.
Still, I feel this is one of the best games I've ever played, and not only in the current generation. A great experience I won't forget easily.

tl;dr

9/10
wouldn't play again, too many crashes :(

(i'm sorry this post got kinda confusing, but irl things happened while i was writing it :p )

Nzyme32

This game is pretty coo

dove.jpg

Alavard

I've finally finished Deadly Premonition (actually, I'm doing the last couple of post-endgame sidequests to 100% it :3 ) and WOAH.

I mean, really. Woah.

I wouldn't have believed it. Or maybe I would have, considering how twisted this game gets, but eh, actually it REALLY gets twisted AFTER that boss, so...

But seriously.

It was definitely a hard ride.
I can't quantify how many times it CTD, but my honest guess would be "OMFG". Yes, that many.
Technically is terribad. Visuals seem to come directly from a pre-PS2-launch demo with several details kinda good (faces, mostly); the driving system sucks; the shooting system is unbelievably clunky and unsatisfying; sounds are mixed in mysterious ways, like even between too consecutive lines of dialogues there can be a huge difference of volume; the soundtrack is kinda cool, but it's often used wrong, like a happy tune during a dark scene or viceversa.

But fuck, this game oozes style and personality and and and and it had its ways to hook me into and making me disregard every possible problem I encountered, in order to keep going and eventually 100% it.
To make you understand how much I loved it, let's just say that, when the crashes were so unbearable that my desire to play it run out, I basically created a 2D version of Greenvale in Construct to drive around as I pleased (and with no crashes, Swery!). :D

If you don't know what DP is about, well...
It's a thriller game with lots of investigations and lots of farfetched survival horror sections, set in Greenvale, a Twin Peaks-esque town.
The main guy is an FBI agent that has to investigate a mysterious and somewhat paranormal serial homicide, the last of which occurred in Greenvale.
If you're seeing some affinities with Twin Peaks, it's not just because I actually wrote "Twin Peaks" a couple of lines ago. The first chapters of the game are basically copied from Twin Peaks pilot episode.
Most of the people living in Greenvale are a twisted mix between the characters made up from Lynch's creepy mind, and something totally different that just a creepy Japanese guy could made up.

You can freely drive around Greenvale at your pleasure, solving sidequests and learning more about the town, its history, its inhabitants and its folklore.
There is an overwhelming abundance of tiny details (ie. every single street is named) that shows how much the devs cared about this project, and all together they manage to somehow divert the attention from the technical shortcomings, to the actual game's own astounding personality.

Sadly, the crashes make this game hard to carefreely suggest to other people. I did a lot, in the last month or so, but every time I had to underline that there is a 50/50 chance people won't be able to actually enjoy the game cause of its technical issues.
Still, I feel this is one of the best games I've ever played, and not only in the current generation. A great experience I won't forget easily.

tl;dr

9/10
wouldn't play again, too many crashes :(

(i'm sorry this post got kinda confusing, but irl things happened while i was writing it :p )

I just finished it last week, and I definitely agree with everything you said here. So many flaws, but the game is still just so enjoyable. But the crashes man, ouch, the crashes. I only made it halfway through the game before the crashes became too unbearable and I had to watch the rest in Youtube LPs.

Yakkue

I've finally finished Deadly Premonition (actually, I'm doing the last couple of post-endgame sidequests to 100% it :3 ) and WOAH. [...]
Great impressions! :) I'm so glad that game didn't crash at all for me after reinstalling PhysX.
Amazing game, apart from the map and the combat (for me). Such a shame that so many people experience technical difficulties...

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Confession time GAF: I'm absolutely hooked on Fantasy Life on the 3DS. I played it for about 15 hours in the last 3 days.

I feel like Salsa would be proud

Nzyme32

Arthea

Please someone kindly explain me, why we still can't filter out games we own from weeklong deals (or any deals, actually) and for how long this nonsense will persist

Speaking of which. Where is Salsa anyways?

lives fantasy life instead of our boring real one?

Tizoc

Confession time GAF: I'm absolutely hooked on Fantasy Life on the 3DS. I played it for about 15 hours in the last 3 days.

I'm hoping SMT4 would do this with me too :V
I mean how many games have the main character called 'Flynn'?

Please someone kindly explain me, why we still can't filter out games we own from weeklong deals (or any deals, actually) and for how long this nonsense will persist
They want you yo buy extra copies for your friends I think, weird marketting and stuff.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Because when Valve updated the storefront, they didn't take every Enhanced Steam feature. It will likely persist until they decide to use that feature as well.

Arthea

Because when Valve updated the storefront, they didn't take every Enhanced Steam feature. It will likely persist until they decide to use that feature as well.

wait a second, but Enchanted steam doesn't filter those out either, or am I missing something?

We can, but not in Steam store itself

https://steamdb.info/sales/
and check Hide owned games

not good enough! I really need this on store, it would be so nice instead of staring at green wall to see games I actually might consider buying!

jshackles

wait a second, but Enchanted steam doesn't filter those out either, or am I missing something?

In the Chrome version you can click "Options -> Hide -> Items you own in search results and tag pages" then load the page. It'll then only show the items you don't own in the search results.

Arthea

In the Chrome version you can click "Options -> Hide -> Items you own in search results and tag pages" then load the page. It'll then only show the items you don't own in the search results.

thanks jshackles, you are the greatestestestest, even going to use chrome if it'll let me to do this.

jshackles

Is it anything like Animal Crossing?

It's kind of a mix between Animal Crossing and The Legend of Zelda, with a class system similar to Final Fantasy (Fighter, Theif, Mage, etc). Leveling up certain classes will grant abilities you can use for other classes - there are some really great combos.

For example, my character started out as a Paladin (basic fighter class) but I took up Mining and Blacksmithing so that I could gather my own materials and turn them into better weapons and armor than I could find in the shops.

But you almost don't need to fight at all, if you don't want to. You have a house you can decorate (there is a woodworking class where you can make furniture) and if you don't want to buy the lumber to make furniture you can become a lumberjack and cut trees down yourself. You can also take up sewing to make your own clothes.

been playing some Ghostbusters lately.

First off, if you have a controller plugged it it seems the game crashes every time you to to start it, which is goofy as hell but also has its charm. Even more bizarre, while the game lets you choose between a 30 fps and 60 fps lock, it seems that in-engine cutscenes only animate at 30 fps. It makes the game feel like it's suddenly running in slomo when everything is running at a glorious 60 fps downsampled to 1080p and then peter stops to crack wise and he animates at half the framerate.

The actually gameplay stuff still seems to hold up, even if it's mostly getting by on how enjoyable it is to bust some ghosts. It's not a looker, but it has its moments, like when you first arrive at times square.

As a fan, the story just kinda feels like a direct-to-dvd sequel to the first 2 movies, loaded to the gills with fan service and stretched out to fill what i assume is going to be a 6-8 hour experience. Looking forward to finishing it off this week, unless CODAW really gets its hooks in me.

Yakkue

Fantasy Life is great! Played through it last year, kind of want to play through it again now.. What "lifes" have you tried so far?

I just noticed that Costume Quest 2 was -50% and now I'm angry at myself for missing the sale
I think it's worth full price as well :)

Lomax

It's kind of a mix between Animal Crossing and The Legend of Zelda, with a class system similar to Final Fantasy (Fighter, Theif, Mage, etc). Leveling up certain classes will grant abilities you can use for other classes - there are some really great combos.

For example, my character started out as a Paladin (basic fighter class) but I took up Mining and Blacksmithing so that I could gather my own materials and turn them into better weapons and armor than I could find in the shops.

But you almost don't need to fight at all, if you don't want to.

Dear god, that description alone is almost enough to make me want to buy a 3DS.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

It's beautiful.

Daily Hatoful boyfriend 50% off

Everyone needs to buy this.

The first form of the game's final boss basically does
Blanka-esque rolling attacks
, so there's that :p

jshackles

gamechanger

thanks jshackles, you are the greatestestestest, even going to use chrome if it'll let me to do this.

Would it make more sense for this to be an option displayed on the search results page itself, maybe one that resets every time you load new results?

Dear god, that description alone is almost enough to make me want to buy a 3DS.

The 3DS has a pretty great library of games, but this is one of my favorites so far.

Zafir

Yeah, tis a good game. I got a digital copy the other week and it seemed pretty fun. Started as a Paladin, and then got up Mining, Woodcutting, Carpentry and Blacksmithing to the second level. I haven't put too much time in due to all the releases around now though.

But you almost don't need to fight at all, if you don't want to. You have a house you can decorate (there is a woodworking class where you can make furniture) and if you don't want to buy the lumber to make furniture you can become a lumberjack and cut trees down yourself. You can also take up sewing to make your own clothes.
So... What you're saying is buy fantasy life...? I'll do just that during black Friday, HEYOOO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom