• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2014 - Ride of the Valkyries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadownet

Banned
What about llamas?
You mean "What about Alpacas?"
alpaca_by_princesscallie-d384yr5.png
Oh yeah its that time of the year again!

Btw jshackles, about Fantasy Life. how are the quests? I read the reviews and I heard some parts of the game is a bit repetitive.

ArjanN

been playing some Ghostbusters lately.

First off, if you have a controller plugged it it seems the game crashes every time you to to start it, which is goofy as hell but also has its charm. Even more bizarre, while the game lets you choose between a 30 fps and 60 fps lock, it seems that in-engine cutscenes only animate at 30 fps. It makes the game feel like it's suddenly running in slomo when everything is running at a glorious 60 fps downsampled to 1080p and then peter stops to crack wise and he animates at half the framerate.

Maybe they motion-captured it, because Bill Murray's acting only seemed to be at 30FPS as well. :p

Otherwise I mostly agree with your assessment of the game.

Lomax

Would it make more sense for this to be an option displayed on the search results page itself, maybe one that resets every time you load new results?

The 3DS has a pretty great library of games, but this is one of my favorites so far.

My tablet fills what little mobile gaming needs I have. Though this thread did have me seriously thinking about getting a Wii U but I'm still saving for my 970. I'll just stick with port begging for the time being.

Started (and finished) a review of Transistor but work browser did a thing and it went poof.

The TL;DR (still TL, probably DR) version is:

- the narrative was placed on paper and someone with those scissors I don't know the name of that cut in patterns was called in to go wild for a little bit. A brief "recursion" play up to the first boss is highly recommended and is enough to be engulfed by it, letting the nuances really play out. The story is so much better than what you've read and what you've been lead to believe. I can't really tell you why you should trust me but you should.

- you ought to use limiters as they come around and swap them to your desire. It changes the gameplay wildly. I started with a limiter that caused enemy kills to pop shielded "cells," which are dropped on kills and must be collected to prevent further spawns. I HAD to run a build that focused on real-time playability to ensure I cleaned my kills. Later, I cut that single limiter and adjusted my build to being wholly turn-based. My between-turns mode was to dash away, dash away, dash away, position, and unload in turn-based. Any build is viable; GO WITH IT.

- the art style... it's beautiful. And there's a button to stop and hum.

- I could have used some game time on the back end. It opens and explodes once you get some levels under your belt. There's a great amount of replayability, but once you really catch your stride, the game seems over a little quickly.

- isolation and its effects, connection with others and its effects, are all still thematic elements explored by Supergiant. While I prefer the loneliness developed in Bastion, leading to the more guarded warming to others, it's still at play heavily here.

You're looking for your voice and aren't we all?

Arthea

Would it make more sense for this to be an option displayed on the search results page itself, maybe one that resets every time you load new results?

The 3DS has a pretty great library of games, but this is one of my favorites so far.

just tested, it works nicely.
It would be nice to have an option to switch in on-off on the search page, if it's not too much work for you.

I totally would buy Fantasy Life day one
on steam

(1) Maybe. I don't use it now because sometimes ES gets confused about what I do and don't own, so I'm afraid to use it... but I'd like to be able to click a box and say "hide the stuff that's in these results that I own".

(2) It does? Could've fooled me.

Reg

Banned
- I could have used some game time on the back end. It opens and explodes once you get some levels under your belt. There's a great amount of replayability, but once you really catch your stride, the game seems over a little quickly.

So, it left you wanting more? Sounds like one of those good problems.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Btw jshackles, about Fantasy Life. how are the quests? I read the reviews and I heard some parts of the game is a bit repetitive.

There are three types of quests in the game:

"Life Quests" which relate to your Life (class) - these vary from class to class but are there to generally engage you and teach you what your class is all about. For a Paladin, that means killing X number of a certain type of monster or fighting a particular boss creature. For something like the Blacksmith class it can be "Make Iron Armor". I think these are the ones that are typically regarded as "repetitive" because they're very focused. The idea is to switch your Life often enough that it remains interesting.

"Butterfly Quests" (main quest line) - not to be too spoilery, you travel with a butterfly that talks (and talks for you as the main character). These quests simply serve to move the story line forward and aren't really repetitive but can at times be annoying.

"Random Quests" these are things the townsfolk ask for - most of these have to do with certain a particular Life you can choose. They're repetitive by nature but are 100% optional it would seem. They're essentially a way to make some extra money in the game.

Anyway, Steam and stuff...

So, it left you wanting more? Sounds like one of those good problems.

I would say it's more along the lines of "the game is over too quickly once you finally get the hang of it."

When I think of Transistor, 90% of my thoughts are negative. It's still sitting on my HDD in #ACHIEVEMENT CLEANUP, but I don't know if I'll ever be arsed to go and deal with it.

"Random Quests" these are things the townsfolk ask for - most of these have to do with certain a particular Life you can choose. They're repetitive by nature but are 100% optional it would seem. They're essentially a way to make some extra money in the game.

I do love it when they chain. Sometimes the quest reward will be an item somebody else wants, so you can collect one thing and complete three quests in one go.

Shadownet

Banned
There are three types of quests in the game:

"Life Quests" which relate to your Life (class) - these vary from class to class but are there to generally engage you and teach you what your class is all about. For a Paladin, that means killing X number of a certain type of monster or fighting a particular boss creature. For something like the Blacksmith class it can be "Make Iron Armor". I think these are the ones that are typically regarded as "repetitive" because they're very focused. The idea is to switch your Life often enough that it remains interesting.

"Butterfly Quests" (main quest line) - not to be too spoilery, you travel with a butterfly that talks (and talks for you as the main character). These quests simply serve to move the story line forward and aren't really repetitive but can at times be annoying.

Anyway, Steam and stuff...

Ah thanks man, sounds like fun. I'll put it on my wishlist. I saw it yesterday at GameStop and almost grabbed it. Man Pokemon is coming up too. RIP wallet.

derExperte

It's kind of a mix between Animal Crossing and The Legend of Zelda, with a class system similar to Final Fantasy (Fighter, Theif, Mage, etc). Leveling up certain classes will grant abilities you can use for other classes - there are some really great combos.

Can I go the other way and totally ignore that? Is the game still 'meaty' enough then? I ask because I kinda hate Animal Crossing and find the stuff you have to do there mind-numbingly dull. I also want to viciously murder everyone in my village right after meeting them and just sell the whole place so someone can build a highway or something but that's probably just me. Fantasy Life seems to have more going on but honestly I'm only considering it because I haven't turned on my 3DS since Kirby and probably won't until the new Sega 3D remasters (Outrun etc) come out. Don't know, maybe I'll watch some reviews.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Can I got the other way and totally skip that? I ask because I kinda hate Animal Crossing and find the stuff you have to do there mind-numbingly dull. I also want to viciously murder everyone in my village right after meeting them. Fantasy Life seems to have more going on but honestly I'm only considering it because I haven't turned on my 3DS since Kirby and probably won't until the new Sega 3D remasters (Outrun etc) come out. Don't know, maybe I'll watch some reviews.

The game can (to a point) be played as a straight up action RPG game, but there are certain areas that you won't be able to unlock unless you progress the main story line along. In addition to your "Life levels" your character also levels up independently which lets you allocate skill points into things like Strength, Vitality, Luck, etc so if you'd like you could just go outside of town and grind levels for a few hours if that's your thing.

You can't kill the townsfolk though.

Reg

Banned
I would say it's more along the lines of "the game is over too quickly once you finally get the hang of it."

When I think of Transistor, 90% of my thoughts are negative. It's still sitting on my HDD in #ACHIEVEMENT CLEANUP, but I don't know if I'll ever be arsed to go and deal with it.

Damn, that's rough. It's got good style at least.

MUnited83

For you.
I would rather keep quality bundles coming from Humble than some of these recent bundles from Groupees and IndieGala.

Recent bundles from Groupees and IndieGala have been pretty damn decent, so, eh. The Doujin Bundle 3 at Groupees is even very,very good.

Zafir

GMG support can be as slow as hell. I think they prioritize order support over everything else, so if you're asking about anything relating to playfire, you could be waiting ages.

Recent bundles from Groupees and IndieGala have been pretty damn decent, so, eh. The Doujin Bundle 3 at Groupees is even very,very good.
I can't complain about the recent Halloween bundle from Gala. Had a game that's been on my wishlist forever (Eversion) and two others I've been curious about (Dead Hungry Diner and Capsule).

Hippy barthday, Ozium! Your name sounds like a periodic element.

I'm going to authorize Steam Home Sharing on my laptop in case my sister, who's just come home, wants to use my library.

Arthea

can someone kindly check something for me? Can you access your HB library?
I can't access it, some weird bug with empty humble asm.js empty pop up opening, which I can't close or dismiss for some reason.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
"Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager" has trading cards. And multiplayer. What?

It actually looks sort of decent for what it is, too.

can someone kindly check something for me? Can you access your HB library?
I can't access it, some weird bug with empty humble asm.js empty pop up opening, which I can't close or dismiss for some reason.

It just shows up as the normal HB library for me.

jshackles

So this was easier than I thought:

Basically you can easily toggle between the two. I may add some other things to this box later on, like hiding stuff that's in your wishlist or in your cart.

If you have the option checked to always hide by default, it will set the default value of the box to "checked" in which you can then uncheck it and show all of the results if you'd like.

chronomac

Basically you can easily toggle between the two. I may add some other things to this box later on, like hiding stuff that's in your wishlist or in your cart.

If you have the option checked to always hide by default, it will set the default value of the box to "checked" in which you can then uncheck it and show all of the results if you'd like.

This is a really good idea.

Copons

The first form of the game's final boss basically does
Blanka-esque rolling attacks
, so there's that :p

Yeah, it's true, (Deadly Premonition endgame spoilers)
he does, but the George boss starts as a squeaky-leather dressed Freddie Mercury and his last form is a Japanese-demon-like creature, but he looks more like Hulk with Blanka's hair while he does his shock move, so pretty much Blanka. :D

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
seems like there is pre-loading available for Rebirth, but I get an error (content still encrypted) ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom