• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2014 - Ride of the Valkyries

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
What's so bad about Community?

lk1eos7i.jpg

lk25nsfn.jpg

Shadownet

Banned
My co-worker once asked me why TLOU doesn't work on his PS3. Took me a while until I found out it was a PS4 box.
He's some kind of wonderful.

Also SteamGAF is the best GAF has to offer. We should always be on page 1 of the Gaming Section for visitors to see.

JaseC

milena87

Dragon Age: Inquisition Borrows Liberally from Ubisoft's Open-World Handbook

Hype severely deflated.
JaseC would love the game, but, alas, Origin exclusive

Uhm... I don't see many similarities with AC, to be honest. I feared that they would reveal that we need to climb some towers to reveal the map and quests... but nada.

Exploration, puzzles (I'm really curious about this, as I love puzzles), quests and a central hub weren't invented by Ubisoft.

The Inquisition bonuses, ranks and acolytes might be the closest thing to some of the AC titles. But even that is not unique to Ubisoft games.

What bothered me about the article, though, was the part about combat. Of course if one plays it
wrongly
like an action game, the game won't be as fullfilling as Dark Souls. The Witcher 2&3 can be compared to Dark Souls, but DA:I is not an action RPG. It's party-based real time with pause.

Not that the many gameplay videos on youtube would make you think that, of course. Maybe 4 people used the tactical view, the vast majority didn't even switch characters until they were dead :/
The newest videos are better.

Dr Dogg

Football Manager 2015 slammed by Eurogamer.

Thank god Sega is bringing Valkyria Chronicles to PC, since their main source of income may just as well dry up... :\

A few errors in the article, complaints about systems you can customise, no talk about classic mode or newer options available, no dissection on the tactics wizard updates, training management or what the new match engine brings to the table? Hmmm doesn't seem like a very thorough review to be honest. 14 had some issues, most with bloat in the new systems and regression in custom tactics and player options but this review doesn't even touch on them let alone answer how different it is to 14. Then again saying that all the pics have 'work in progress' on them and FM always needs a patch or 3 to sort things out.

Football Manager 2015 slammed by Eurogamer.

Thank god Sega is bringing Valkyria Chronicles to PC, since their main source of income may just as well dry up... :\

As he says "So, we're left with a game whose main improvements are all disappointments. And yet I'd still put money on me pouring hundreds of hours into it. That's Football Manager."

That's probably what will happen with me. I've found the beta somewhat frustrating and don't really like the new features, but I'll still play it quite a lot.

It's only a matter of time.

Oh come on now, Community's fine. Not like you guys go to any other thread in GD besides this one.

Nah. It works fine right where it is - gets a lot of thoroughfare traffic, the conversations are great and the deals are plentiful. It would lose a lot if it were put in a... ahem, backwater forum like Community.

Knurek

A few errors in the article, complaints about systems you can customise, no talk about classic mode or newer options available, no dissection on the tactics wizard updates, training management or what the new match engine brings to the table? Hmmm doesn't seem like a very thorough review to be honest. 14 had some issues, most with bloat in the new systems and regression in custom tactics and player options but this review doesn't even touch on them let alone answer how different it is to 14. Then again saying that all the pics have 'work in progress' on them and FM always needs a patch or 3 to sort things out.

Since you seem to be a player, how's FM13?
I don't really want to spend $50 on a new version where I have played that one for less than 10 hours...
If one is okay with slightly outdated player stats, is the 2013 otherwise fine?

JaseC

Oh come on now, Community's fine. Not like you guys go to any other thread in GD besides this one.

I post in a variety of threads as I lurk everywhere. The Steam thread is just the only one in which I participate with regularity. Oh, and it was clearly a joke. ;)

derExperte

Does anyone even care about Titanfall anymore? I actually forgot it even existed tbqh

Many people care insofar that they constantly talk about how little they care and how dead the game is, mostly in context of PS4vsX1 arguments. Too bad since TF is absolutely worth playing.

Jadax

I don't really want to spend $50 on a new version where I have played that one for less than 10 hours...
FM14 was ok. FM13 was terrible. FM12 was ok. FM10/11 were the good ones. Waiting for price drop on FM15.

FML was the best, shame it's model meant new players were always playing catch-up to older players.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
I post in a variety of threads as I lurk everywhere. The Steam thread is just the only one in which I participate with regularity. Oh, and it was clearly a joke. ;)

Jase watches over entire gaf ... no thread or post goes unnoticed by him ... he's everywhere and nowhere ... Jase IS gaf

Dr Dogg

13 was when Classic Mode got introduced so all the added bloat like dealing with agents, conducting interviews, player and coaching talks can be put to the side and you can just focus on the management aspect of the game. Really for me since 11 the series has been adding slight improvements but nothing drastic, just incremental changes and additions but nothing major like the engine and tactics overhaul 11 got. I haven't put too much time into 13 let alone 14 (I honestly don't have that much free time these days to start that addiction off again) but 13 is incredibly polished and allows you to strip the more social additions away and just focus on the management side of things, you can even leave player recruitment up to your staff.

Regards to outdated players and stats. While officially they won't be updated you can easily find databases with upto date squads out there for practically and CM/FM. I used to have CM 01/02 installed permanently as that's what I fund one of the best pure tactical games in the series and if there isn't an updated database out there if you have the time and energy there is always and editor to do the hardwork yourself. Most folks I know who are big into FM/CM have their fav version of the game and usually return to that one time and time again. So in short buying an older copy isn't always a bad thing and 13 is a great choice as it has the improvements of 11 with a lot of refinement and the stripped down classic mode. Oh and it's cheap and plentiful at retail.

I think it's safe to say this isn't getting dethroned as my most played game in a long, long time.
And that's tiny compared to some of the hardcore FM folks on my friends list.

Chariot

Higher risk of communities growing insular because it's harder to notice for new members.
Aren't they taking our jewbs anyways?
I'm aware that I am relatively new too :p Which is why I am going to take your jewb

edit:
What! Now we're really in Community? Who snitched?

Asgaro

Played The Room after reading some recommendations, it was really good. Even if a little short I had a great time with it.

Reached 69% completion rate but BoI: Rebirth will get me back down to 68%.

Nice game completion rate!
I hope I achieve 50% one day. Currently at 33%.

So presumably the thinking is "Community is a shithole subforum that nobody ever vists - we should send more threads there to make people visit it more often" rather than "We should just get rid of Community and have all gaming threads in the gaming forum"

wetflame

Pizza Dog
So presumably the thinking is "Community is a shithole subforum that nobody ever vists - we should send more threads there to make people visit it more often" rather than "We should just get rid of Community and have all gaming threads in the gaming forum"

I'm guessing they just don't want popular threads to stagnate at the top of the forum and bury news stories etc. Steam is always on the first page of Gaming so it's presumably been taking a spot which could be filled by "Which is the best third level music in a SNES game? One word answers only pls" threads or the like

Alright, so I suppose I should've asked this question a long time ago, but what is the community section on GAF for? I asked a mate about it and he said it was for off-topic stuff and then I asked what off-topic community was for and we both couldn't figure out an answer.

Is it jus for, as the name says, communities to talk about stuff, if so why does everyone not want to be there?

Why. All the evil-doers won't find us now.

Yeah, part of me thinks this might be a good thing. If nothing else, it will make it more difficult for pricing errors and the like to get taken down quickly. Being on the front page of GD all the time made it so that deals got exploited way too quickly.

Knurek

Someone light Stump alert!

Alright, so I suppose I should've asked this question a long time ago, but what is the community section on GAF for? I asked a mate about it and he said it was for off-topic stuff and then I asked what off-topic community was for and we both couldn't figure out an answer.

Is it jus for, as the name says, communities to talk about stuff, if so why does everyone not want to be there?

Community is that part of forum where old threads go to die.

I'm guessing they just don't want popular threads to stagnate at the top of the forum and bury news stories etc. Steam is always on the first page of Gaming so it's presumably been taking a spot which could be filled by "Which is the best third level music in a SNES game? One word answers only pls" threads or the like

Yet threads which actually have always seemed like they belong in community not gaming - like Giant Bomb thread, or GameGrumps thread, or Two Best Friends Play - which aren't even about games stay in gaming general.

I don't get recent board policy, I really don't.

New thread for new news -> oh noes too many threads!

No OTs for new games too early -> 5 different topics about every new game the day it releases

Shadownet

Banned
Yeah, part of me thinks this might be a good thing. If nothing else, it will make it more difficult for pricing errors and the like to get taken down quickly. Being on the front page of GD all the time made it so that deals got exploited way too quickly.
You do realize there is reddit too right?

Ozium

The Gaming forum is finally over. Maybe next decade!

It's over, period. Gaming Discussion lost their last ace, and that's the end of their hopes and dreams.

It's not hyperbole, it's not fanboy drivel. It is LITERALLY it for Gaming Discussion. The admins have nothing left, nothing they can reveal tomorrow would fix the hole now created. There is no reason left for any one, hardcore or casual, to substantively invest in Gaming Discussion. Except if they want to bitch about framerates. Which will also come to the Steam Community thread at some point.

The age of Gaming Discussion is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom