• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2014 - Ride of the Valkyries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chariot

Someone light Stump alert!
jbecM6sQBqqC7x.png

Indignate

Yet threads which actually have always seemed like they belong in community not gaming - like Giant Bomb thread, or GameGrumps thread, or Two Best Friends Play - which aren't even about games stay in gaming general.

The Giant Bomb thread got moved to Community about a week ago.

Not sure about the others.

oipic

I, like possibly many here, typically only access these Steam threads via my subs page, so the move doesn't directly amount to much more than the Community tab being highlighted instead... but I do wonder how new/infrequent visitors will find the thread, or the help they can get here, from now on (or what they'll expect to find when they do).

I'd like to think there's a level of self- and 'community'-moderation here, so I wouldn't expect the fundamentals of the thread to change too much (right?).

Community is that part of forum where old threads go to die.
Slightly fixed but pretty much that. After a thread is banished to Community Graveyard it's never ever to be seen again (unless you and like 5 others have subscribed to it)

but I do wonder how new/infrequent visitors will find the thread, or the help they can get here, from now on (or what they'll expect to find when they do)..

They don't. That's the exact reason the Community forums don't work. The suggested fix to this is to spam "Hey we got this awesome thread about this on Community come and visit us!" to the related threads which doesn't really make sense either.

Milamber

Was it seriously our community talk that pushed us here?

EDIT: Oh wow, a bunch of threads got pushed to community too at the same time.

Dr Dogg

Hmm odd choice when threads like

• I'm giving away a free copy AC:Unity and Black Flag
  • What are your favorite games you have played that were made before you were born?
  • Favorite Commodore 64 game?
  • Post a single image that you feel perfectly sums up the modern games industry
  • I miss Mass Effect
etc are allowed to be posted in the main Gaming section. They all sound like they have a community interaction theme about them. Oh well see how this goes but be nice to know the reason why lots of stuff is being moved.

Ozium

so Turfster can make a new thread in Gaming Community every day for each daily deal, right?

new topics for new news ;)

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
I, like possibly many here, typically only access these Steam threads via my subs page, so the move doesn't directly amount to much more than the Community tab being highlighted instead... but I do wonder how new/infrequent visitors will find the thread, or the help they can get here, from now on (or what they'll expect to find when they do).

I'd like to think there's a level of self- and 'community'-moderation here, so I wouldn't expect the fundamentals of the thread to change too much (right?).

can't speak for anyone else ... but I can safely say - if steam thread were always in the community - I would have NEVER found it ... I just don visit community forums ... at all ... I always just browse the gaming forum, and that's about it ... but I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one

Knurek

so Turfster can make a new thread in Gaming Community every day for each daily deal, right?

new topics for new news ;)

That's actually a good idea.
More worth in them than in the "Giving Away Black Flag" thread.
"Breaking: Steam's Daily Deal for 04.11.2014 inside"
"Polygon Reports: Steam's current Weeklong Deals are here"

Arthea

if we thought we had bad with offtopic streaks before, now it will be on the whole new level and less new people if at all wander in there.
oh well, let's hope stump will bring us back to gaming side.

WHAT DID YOU ALL DO?????

funnily enough, nothing this time to deserve this (><)

Tellaerin

can't speak for anyone else ... but I can safely say - if steam thread were always in the community - I would have NEVER found it ... I just don visit community forums ... at all ... I always just browse the gaming forum, and that's about it ... but I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one

Well, people may still find us though the big sale threads (assuming we're allowed to make those in Gaming anymore >_< ), but still, this pisses me off.

Is Hatoful Boyfriend not really cheaper in the Motherland?

Seems everyone is selling it for 2 keys, but thats almost the same price it costs in the German store (3,99&#8364;).

Hmm odd choice when threads like

• I'm giving away a free copy AC:Unity and Black Flag
  • What are your favorite games you have played that were made before you were born?
  • Favorite Commodore 64 game?
  • Post a single image that you feel perfectly sums up the modern games industry
  • I miss Mass Effect
etc are allowed to be posted in the main Gaming section. They all sound like they have a community interaction theme about them. Oh well see how this goes but be nice to know the reason why lots of stuff is being moved.

Did you see the 100 Destiny threads when it was released? "How does your character look like?" "How far are you in Destiny?" "Do you like Destiny?" "Raid-Thread for Destiny" "I really love Destiny and here is why" etc.

Arthea

I still think we need two steam threads, one in gaming, other in community (for offtopic talk that goes out of hand quite often), but then again, nobody cares what I think anyway

oipic

A bunch of OT's were moved to community, wonder why.

Any mass of people gathering in numbers to discuss a common topic or interest could be deemed a 'community'... so OTs pertaining to popular titles, or those that sustain a large following over a length of time, will by nature effectively all be 'community threads'. Appears confusing to me on face value, but I'm sure it'll be explained in due course.

Perhaps rebranding 'Gaming' as 'News', and 'Community' as 'Ongoing Discussion', or something to that effect, would make more sense if this is going to be the model going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom