• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2014 - Ride of the Valkyries

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Any mass of people gathering in numbers to discuss a common topic or interest could be deemed a 'community'... so OTs pertaining to popular titles, or those that sustain a large following over a length of time, will by nature effectively all be 'community threads'. Appears confusing to me on face value, but I'm sure it'll be explained in due course.

OTs being moved to Community after a month has been in place for yonks now. Some threads just fly under the radar until they're bumped again.

Winter seal will be interesting in community...

All those lists... poor Turfster.

The Autumn and Winter Sales will still get their own threads in Gaming.

Milamber

Wonder how many guys here don't even use the "Subscribe" button and just get to this thread normally from the front Gaming page.

I still think we need two steam threads, one in gaming, other in community (for offtopic talk that goes out of hand quite often), but then again, nobody cares what I think anyway

I partially agree, if only because the last time I came into the steam thread asking for advice on a deal I got no help at all because people were too busy doing fucking bad rats joke giveaways and crap, but its a pretty arbitrary line as to where "news" and discussion of news ends and sub-community begins with a digital platform that updates daily.

Ozium

Wonder how many guys here don't even use the "Subscribe" button and just get to this thread normally from the front Gaming page.

I do.. well I generally just leave it open and I have chrome set to reload the last page I was on so it's always there... I honestly don't get the subscribe thread thing.. I subcribed to the Doctor Who thread, but when I clicked it on it brought me to the last page in it, so I had to go and find out where I stopped reading it... 2confusing4me

I partially agree, if only because the last time I came into the steam thread asking for advice on a deal I got no help at all because people were too busy doing fucking bad rats joke giveaways and crap, but its a pretty arbitrary line as to where "news" and discussion of news ends and sub-community begins with a digital platform that updates daily.

well you can always ask again, m8...

also did you just diss bad fucking rats? no need to get nasty now

Tellaerin

I probably wouldn't care as much if I didn't feel like someone's just condemned the Steam threads to a slow, lingering death. And for what? Did we really need to free up another slot on the front page for "People Who Don't Understand Hardware Arguing About Technical Specs Thread #422" or "My Console Manufacturer Can Beat Up Your Console Manufacturer (And You PC Guys Have Cooties So Don't Touch Me)" so urgently that we needed to be shipped off like this? :p

JaseC

I do.. well I generally just leave it open and I have chrome set to reload the last page I was on so it's always there... I honestly don't get the subscribe thread thing.. I subcribed to the Doctor Who thread, but when I clicked it on it brought me to the last page in it, so I had to go and find out where I stopped reading it... 2confusing4me

gafjki6i.jpg

Milamber

You should click on the Neogaf logo of the thread on the left of it.

EDIT: JaseC destroying me.

wetflame

Pizza Dog

If you're on Mobile GAF I think there's the option in your preferences to either take you to the last page of the thread or your last unread post when you click on the arrow in subscribed threads, the latter is much more useful.

Press the Golden NeoJeff Ball to jump to first unread post:

sprite.png

I probably wouldn't care as much if I didn't feel like someone's just condemned the Steam threads to a slow, lingering death. And for what? Did we really need to free up another slot on the front page for "People Who Don't Understand Hardware Arguing About Technical Specs Thread #422" or "My Console Manufacturer Can Beat Up Your Console Manufacturer (And You PC Guys Have Cooties So Don't Touch Me)" so urgently that we needed to be shipped off like this? :p

If the next AAA game comes out, you can be sure you get 5 threads about it.

"The world in AC Unity is so great!"
"What I didnt like about AC Unity."
"Little secrets in AC Unity."
"Which was the best character in AC Unity."
"My love for gaming is back thanks to AC Unity."

;)

Milamber

If the next AAA game comes out, you can be sure you get 5 threads about it.

"The world in AC Unity is so great!"
"What I didnt like about AC Unity."
"Little secrets in AC Unity."
"Which was the best character in AC Unity."
"My love for gaming is back thanks to AC Unity."

;)

"AC Unity PC Performance Thread"

oipic

OTs being moved to Community after a month has been in place for yonks now. Some threads just fly under the radar until they're bumped again.

Yep, understood, but even that in itself is arbitrary, and has to be a right nuisance to maintain for all concerned.

Perhaps OTs need a 'Games' section, where they can simply stay put together, and as I said, perhaps 'news' and (for want of a better term) 'community' threads like this one each have their own.

Bah, I dunno - it's a mess - I don't envy those making these calls, or those having to maintain whatever structure they're actively tweaking at the moment.

Ban Puncher

Threads that start with 'Guys...' as in 'Guys, I Think I Hate The Okama Gamesphere' are the worst.

Shadownet

Banned
Your fingers ain't broken so you can always ask again. Stuff get lost fast in Steam thread.

Kiru

So we can talk totally useless offtopic stuff here now ? That's what I got from reading other Community Threads.

JaseC

What? I don't understand...

Sale threads will still go in Gaming proper because their primary function is to inform -- there's a big sale on, here are the details and here's what's discounted. Think of Steam's bigger sales as new releases and their threads as OTs.

"AC Unity PC Performance Thread"

Which would actually be the most important one.

Btw. I tried to buy the game from Origin India yesterday, but after I gave out all my information it shows "The transaction could not be completed."

I wonder if I should use an Indian adress when I type in my CC-data, but I guess that would already be considered a fraud.

Ozium

the steam thread should be a sticky on gaming discussion... brb going to change.org lol

thanks to everyone to tell me how subscribe works... icons scare me

Yep, understood, but even that in itself is arbitrary

It really is, because you have some OTs (Halo games for example) where the game hasn't been touched since forever and its just a list of people talking about the last match they played and arranging a new match, whereas other games that are still regularly updated (like LoL or TF2 before they started winding it down) get shipped off to Community to die despite being games that are actively adding new content.

I assume there are OTs in Community for games that have never actually been released yet like DayZ standalone.

Tellaerin

Your fingers ain't broken so you can always ask again. Stuff get lost fast in Steam thread.

To be fair, if he asked a question and nobody responded, odds are that people saw it but didn't have an answer for him, so they didn't reply. I know that's my usual rule of thumb, because I doubt most people want to wade through a couple of pages of "Sorry mate, I've got no fucking idea" every time somebody posts a question here. >.>

Ban Puncher

"So can we all agree that...." threads are also way up there with the worst of them.

Anything that opens with someone's opinion instead of say news, fact or even asking other people what they think 'ie What Are Your Top 5 Okama Gamesphere Games' are usually not destined for great things.

Except for hilarious bans when things get heated.

To be fair, if he asked a question and nobody responded, odds are that people saw it but didn't have an answer for him, so they didn't reply. I know that's my usual rule of thumb, because I doubt most people want to wade through a couple of pages of "Sorry mate, I've got no fucking idea" every time somebody posts a question here. >.>

Yeah, its not my first post in a steam thread, and it also wasnt in the first 15 minutes of a major sale update cycle where things genuinely are too fast to keep up with.

Shadownet

Banned

Yeah I thought about that too and you're right. Sometimes no one has an answer.

During sales, this thread move about 1 page per 30-45 mins or something. But yeah, if we stay in community. I doubt many new people will come here.

Luckily I don't mind talking to the same old folks day after day.

Dr Dogg

There should be a new NV driver coming up very soon.

Question is will Advanced Warfare be downloaded for me before or after they're up.

at least we don't have to worry about new members shitting this thread up anymore

No but now were stuck with the same horrible lot (yes I'm including myself in that as well!) and when the shit goes down it might become an even smaller number of posters as others leave. Could be a nice social interaction experiment.

Ban Puncher

Cheer up everyone!

ModBot said:
Instructions for Man Puncher:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Man Puncher, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Hatoful Boyfriend -- MB-FDAD7703B5FDF9A8 - Taken by PunishedSnake. 13 entrants total.

t1415102786z1.png

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Well since the thread got demoted I'll say goodbye since I'll never see the thread in gaming again. Goodnight SteamGAF you crazy devil you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom