• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2015 - Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty Never Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

rtcn63

Wow, back then people are still using the term 'joystick'.

I remember using my PS2 controller + adapter to play on PC. It was hit or miss obviously, though worked well enough with emulators.

EDIT: Also I'm pretty sure that third-party controllers back then would appear as "joystick" in Windows, hence.

Dsyndrome

At this point, I don't even remember what I'm supposed to do in the main story quest. I've totally forgotten my main mission in the game lol.
Yeah, that's Bethesda writing for you.
Something something Diamond City... all I've been doing is scrounging leather and adhesive, stuff's harder to find that silver and gold.
20 hours of Fallout 4 since yesterday... it's safe to say I really like this game. I need to sleep now.

EDIT: Also I'm surprised at how little I've used VATS, I just used it in the last quest I did and that was maybe the 5th time I've used it so far. The gunplay is great and I'm not a huge fan of the slowed down time during VATS, wish it would stop totally.
I use it if I get surprised by something. Crit buildup feels good when you unleash on some hulked-up monstrosity.

the fallout 4 intro is probably the worst of any serious fallout game and an improvement only to brotherhood of steel's laughable metal-fueled intro

but holy shit beth's writing staff is weak

my dad's was in the army in ww2 or something and then he died and NUCLEAR POWER AND ROBOTS! and i guess resources ran out because consumerism is bad or something and oh i was in the army too i forgot to tell you and well im gonna go wage nuclear war or something and war never changes even tho i didn't really talk what war was about but trust me it doesn't change at all

also no ron perlman?

seriously it's hilariously bad

first thing i did was alt tab and watch all the other intros. fallout 3's was actually quite alright, tho 1&2 are god tier to this day. new vegas isn't bad, they don't spend much time on the pre-war stuff since it's been done to death, but the cg was really dated even on release. tactics is kind of lame but it's not so bad

i'd say intro ranking would be: fo1 > fo2 > fo3 = fo new vegas >>> fo tactics >>> fo4 > fo pos
The intro is a propaganda speech the male lead(who is in the military) is about to give to a war commission.

Turfster

Edit:
What I'm getting at: Is it really a "garbage tier port" or is it a "dark souls garbage tier port"?

As in, it had audio problems, crashed all the time, minor annoyances and some of the boss battles were broken.
(Didn't have the controller thing because we keyboarded it, like REAL men)

Gears is fine with mouse and keyboard.

No, it's really not.

As in, it had audio problems, crashed all the time, minor annoyances and some of the boss battles were broken.

Hrmmm. Those don't sound too bad (outside crashing all the time... and depending on what "broken boss battles" actually translates to...), but hopefully the next one is better. :3

I still have money ready for MS when they get the damn thing released on PC, especially if it has cross-play with X1 folk.

Salsa

LzWGwrc.jpg

How on earth do I heal Dogmeat?

Heal as in get him back to combat position?
If he's incapacitated, get close to him and press A (gamepad) to use stimpack on him. I don't think you can heal him in the middle of a combat though. If he's incapacitated and the combat is over, just let him be and he'll recover by himself.

Milamber

Don't you get an option to use a stimpack on him?
Heal as in get him back to combat position?
If he's incapacitated, get close to him and press A (gamepad) to use stimpack on him. I don't think you can heal him in the middle of a combat though. If he's incapacitated and the combat is over, just let him be and he'll recover by himself.

The game keeps saying he's injured and needs to heal but talking to Dogmeat only brings up the general commands/Tricks/trade. I tried putting a Stimpack in his inventory and used some on myself by accident.

zkylon

zkylewd
Yeah, I can't believe that they took out Ron Perlman :(
i don't think he's that key to the intro, but i certainly missed him. and it's such a bad intro that there's nothing in it that says "ok that made it worth it that ron perlman wasn't narrating it"

like, if they had you create your character, then first person narration i'd get that you don't have ron perlman, but this just feels awkward and bad

Oh yeah, it's goddamn terrible. Even more jarring if you play with a female character.
She's supposedly a damn lawyer and her world is completely changed in a spawn of what is around 5 minutes to her, with her husband murdered and son kidnapped and now in a world completely destroyed where everybody shoots at each other and monsters roam the streets, yet she acts like the most calm person in the world and it seems like she has been living on that world forever.
It's jarring as fuck and a perfect example of Bethesda's shoddy writing.
not sure why that's different from a male character?

because he was like in the army you mean?

I'm playing New Vegas right now and I can't get over how everything just. makes. sense.

With that said, I also liked Fallout 3, and I have the impression I may still like Fallout 4. It's just that 3 was a good game, but a pretty bad Fallout.
yeah i've been talking a lot with a friend of mine that's also a fallout fan (probably not as big as me but anyways) and he was telling me how jarring it is that things are left "intact" in fo4

like you walk into a house and you see the skeletons of a couple that died during the nukes just strangling each other and with angry paper notes at their feet talking about how much they hated each other

like it's 200 years after an atomic bomb beth, that's not how shit works -__-

also i agree, fallout 3 is a bad fallout and probably the best oblivion since morrowind, tho probably not as good as morrowind either.

I'm gonna stay away from Fallout 4, and try New Vegas with the Steam controller instead. I have only played 1-2 hour of that game anyway.
i think that's a good idea

new vegas is one of the best games in a long time

Prior to Fallout 4's release, I would go into threads and people would write off criticism. They don't play Bethesda games for gameplay or for graphics.

So what exactly are they known for? Story? Quest Design? Lol
saying that you play a game for "something" is usually useless because games aren't just a bunch of separate features, they're a whole that create an experience and the experience is generally what you like, not a collection of elements. i don't mean that people like the whole game, but they like what comes out of the combination of the different parts of the game, be it gameplay loops, mechanics, gameplay systems, setting and atmosphere, story, visual/audio design, social features, etc.

for oblivions it's pretty easy. people really enjoy the gameplay loop of being given markers with cool stuff in there. they like clearing a map and they like finding treasure and building up a character that grows powerful. they like exploring caves and dungeons and climbing mountains and finding new towns with new people that gives them even more markers to explore.

they also like the relative freedom that beth games give them to do those things, you can do stealth or combat or magic or ranged or sometimes you can bribe people or threaten or persuade them. you can get your own house and minecraft it a whole bunch and you can get lots of loot that you trade and all that fun stuff

that experience is very enjoyable for people and that's perfectly fine and very different of what makes me enjoy something like new vegas or dark souls or league of legends or whatever

doesn't mean that oblivion or fo3 are as good as any of those games, but the beth experience is something that people really like and that i generally think is a good thing even if they don't ever flesh out their systems as much as i would hope and they seem to be really really bad at writing, sadly. it's a pity cos i really liked morrowind, but w/e..

The intro is a propaganda speech the male lead(who is in the military) is about to give to a war commission.
not sure if you're joking or if that would make it make a bit more sense but either way i don't think it makes it any less dumb

just a really weak intro for a game, bad writing set to dramatic black and white pictures in slow motion is a bit much lol

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a garbage dump. No other rules apply, you may claim as many as you want (there are no limits or throttles), and keys you win won't be counted as wins for your record. Do not SELL these keys for a profit.

Rush Delta Z -- MB-8EE2F2A42DA56476 - Taken by Tesseract

Teeth

So trying to get Vanilla Metro 2033 to have Vsync has been quite the ordeal. The game starts with vsync off by default and no menu option to turn it on. I get ~100fps with my rig (according to the Steam FPS counter) and the game tears like mad. It'll also occasionally jump multiple frames at random, like it's cutting out 20 frames or something. But that only happens occasionally.

Things I've tried to get Vsync to work with:

1) PCGamingwiki says that you can turn Vsync on in the user.cfg file but you have to set it to read only, because the game will overwrite it every time it launches
RESULT -> no Vsync, user.cfg file did not overwrite.

2) Someone on the Steam forums said that there are 3 (!) instances of the user.cfg file in three different spots on your computer (Steam's installation folder, the game installation folder, and your APPDATA folder) that all have to be changed to allow vsync and made read only
RESULT -> no Vsync, user.cfg files did not overwrite

3) nVidia Inspector -> Tried forcing it here, but it turns out my nVidia Inspector install is has been fucked by GeForce Experience and I would have to uninstall my GPU drivers and reinstall without GeForce Experience to un-fuck it.
RESULT -> not happening (at least tonight)

4) nVidia Control Panel Global Vsync Settings
RESULT -> no Vsync

5) Radeon Pro -> set to Vsync, and/or match monitor refresh, and/or triple buffering
RESULT -> Disabled all real time lighting in the game and turned the Z Buffer off !!! Also, didn't have Vsync

7) nVidia Control Panel Custom profile for Metro 2033, Vsync on
RESULT-> no Vsync

8) RivaTuner capping the frame rate to 60 fps
RESULT -> finally locked me at 60fps, but the game still tears like mad

9) RivaTuner capping the frame rate at 59fps
RESULT -> locked around 59/60fps but still tears like mad (which I don't even know how that's possible).

Anyone have any other ideas?

Also, amazingly, if you start Metro 2033 with a controller plugged in, the game will default to controller input and won't let you change it to m&kb. Double amazing: i'm using a dual shock 3 emulated as a 360 pad and something about that made it so that even after I unplugged the controller, when I launched the game again, it defaulted to controller only and I couldn't control anything. I had to reboot my computer with the controller unplugged to get it to finally recognize my keyboard.

Oh Eurojank.

That's how Felicia Day did her character during the Geek and Sundry stream. Running around in a sequined dress. I think she died like 60 times before I stopped watching. It was entertaining though.

That was a good read.
It's a totally interesting build, though not really viable in the long run. I'll definitely try it out for my next playthrough when the great mods are already out.

Durante

Anyone have any other ideas?
Borderless windowed fullscreen mode.

Also, amazingly, if you start Metro 2033 with a controller plugged in, the game will default to controller input and won't let you change it to m&kb. Double amazing: i'm using a dual shock 3 emulated as a 360 pad and something about that made it so that even after I unplugged the controller, when I launched the game again, it defaulted to controller only and I couldn't control anything. I had to reboot my computer with the controller unplugged to get it to finally recognize my keyboard.

Oh Eurojank.
That's not "eurojank", that's just how SCP server operates. Rather than restarting, you could also simply have stopped the service.

MUnited83

For you.
How far ahead Underrail at these day?

Dev Log #42: Updating Old Areas
9 NOVEMBER - STYG
Hey guys, since we got back from vacation we've been developing at a rapid pace. The game is mostly done, save for some dialog and certain amount of visual components for the final event. Once that is in, the game will be playable from start to finish.

Parallel to bringing the main story line to the end, we're doing a final pass through all the areas and updating them visually and adding more flavor dialog. Some of early areas were done ages ago and were badly in a need of a rework. The biggest offenders were SGS and Junkyard, which now both got new looks:

newsgs1.jpg

newsgs2.jpg

newsgs3.jpg

newjy1.jpg

newjy2.jpg

newjy3.jpg

Anyway, the game is really close to completion now and we should be entering close beta phase soon, when we might call upon some of the old dedicated fans to help us test it. There won't be any updates for the public version before full release, though, but that isn't that far off now either. Stay tuned.

The post-apocalyptic RPG that is actually good is almost here!

Teeth

Borderless windowed fullscreen mode.

That's not "eurojank", that's just how SCP server operates. Rather than restarting, you could also simply have stopped the service.

Could you recommend a program for borderless windowed fullscreen? There's "Windowed Borderless Gaming" that I could try, but if there's a more robust/better/easier method, I'd be all for it.

Because, of course, the game doesn't offer it natively. It doesn't even offer a windowed mode without using a cfg file, which, right now, it doesn't seem to be even reading mine.

And the eurojank quip was about the entire ordeal with the config files and no option to force kb&m, not just that end piece. Which, yeah, I figured as much that it was the 360 emulation that was causing the issue since it wasn't mentioned elsewhere on the net.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom